Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9824504 04/28/15
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Hey guys, I'm looking to get a pair of gaiters, and I want to get some that are going to last a good while. I like the looks of these, and was wondering if anyone here had tried them....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-IDAHO-G...UNT-SKI-MADE-IN-USA/271853377180?_trksid

I also was looking at Kenetreks, but I don't really want to spend 70 bucks on them either.

Thanks....

Ben

Last edited by mtcurman; 04/28/15. Reason: Spelling
GB1

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get yourself a pair of kuiu or Outdoor research gaiters and you won't regret it. I wear mine most every time out in the field now.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
+1 on OUTDOOR Research:

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/mens/gaiters.html

Only gaiters I've ever bought. Didn't need to look any further. Yeah, the price might seem steep, but if it is crappy enough outside to need gaiters, I want good ones.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by salsola
+1 on OUTDOOR Research:

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/mens/gaiters.html

Only gaiters I've ever bought. Didn't need to look any further. Yeah, the price might seem steep, but if it is crappy enough outside to need gaiters, I want good ones.

Here's another endorsement for OR Crocodiles. I started using them when I started climbing ice almost 35 years ago. I bought the expedition grade gaiters because they hold up better to crampons stabbing into them. I haven't climbed any ice in a long time but I still have the same gaiters, although there are some stab wounds that have been sewn shut.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks guys.. Those look really nice. One question about the Outdoor Research gaiters, are they very noisy? Because I would like to get some that don't make a swish swish noise when I walk.

KC, those are awesome pics, especially the first one. cool

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Kenetrek Gaiters are quiet. Have me a pair and can vouch for them.

http://www.kenetrek.com/gaiters.asp

Wore 'em on my NV muley hunt.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The OR's are a little noisy. Generally not more so than anything else. For example, if you are using them for boot protection from loose rock, the rocks make a lot more noise. In snow - it depends on the snow...

I've used a couple of generic brands, one pair of REI, one pair of Kenetreks, one pair of Black Diamond, and a couple ORs.

The Kenetreks are lighter material, and quiet, but didn't last very long. Black Diamonds lasted through one weekend goat hunt and then blew out a buckle on the first day of a two week sheep hunt. The REI ones actually held up pretty well - a couple years before the seams all split at once. The ORs have held up the best of what I've used.

Sitka and Kuiu both make Gaiters that I'd like to check out - my sheep hunting partner uses the Sitkas, and they have been incredibly durable.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Love my kennetreks, they're very quiet and, so far, wear like iron. I have 3 years on my pair. Sierra Trading Post sometimes runs them at quite a discount. Unless you get them free with a pair of boots at a Ktrek booth.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a set of the OR's and a set of kuiu right now.

I got my kuiu when they first came out 3 years ago and I blew a buckle on the strap that goes under the boot the third day I wore them. I fixed them with a brass rivet a week or so later after I finished the hunt and they have been going strong since.

My first set of OR's lasted me two season of guiding in the Yukon wearing them every day from mid July to mid oct, climbing mountains and riding through willows.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Another + vote for the OR

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I run the ORs.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm on my second pair of Kenetreks, though the first pair are still useable though needing some stitching etc. I loan them to grandsons. I wear them virtually every step outdoors year round here in BC; in rain, snow, wet brush, rock slides, etc. picking berries to alpine hunting.

Last time I checked they looked like the same design as OR but in quieter material. I have lucked into sales on my Kenetreks.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Get the OR Crocs.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Hey guys, thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.. I found a basically new pair of Crocs for a good price, but they're mediums, and I was wondering if they tend to run a little big or not. According to their size chart I should wear a large, but I have lean calves and was hoping I could get by with the mediums.. Thanks.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I just picked up some kennetreks at Schells were marked down to $24.99

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have used the Kenetreck's and Kuiu... Love the Kuiu!

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Another vote for OR. Bought pair of Kenetrek gaiters and a buckle strap failed on day one. Wasn't sewn properly.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OR crocs. I don't hunt without them.

Murphy was a grunt.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Outdoor Research user here.

They have been excellent.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I bought a pair of OR Crocs a few months ago and they were so noisy walking around that I returned them. They seemed very durable and well made. I have the Kenetreks but they aren't long enough for my legs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

207 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 26 invisible), 1,991 guests, and 1,056 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,202
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.