Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 51 1 2 3 50 51
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Can I have a 338 RUM re chambered to he 338Edge?

I am Canadian.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Contact this fellow:

http://www.defensiveedge.net/

He is the grand guru of the .338 Edge.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think you should read what Long Time Long Ranger has to say in this thread before you make the expensive switch.

One quote: "I tested these two at length on my range when the 338 RUM came out in 2001. I quit doing the 338-300 RUM I had been doing for a few years at that time because there was no improvement in performance and the 338 RUM was over the counter."

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/338-rum-vs-338-edge-68625/

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
My edge will run a 300 Berger at 2890 with out pushing and my buddies rum runes the same at 2550 my barrel is 2" longer I would take the edge hands down.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your friend's 338 RUM isn't loaded to its full potential. My friend's 338 RUM shoots the 300 gr Sierra at 2800 fps with 26" barrel.

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Yes it is very much at max load trust me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FredIII,

After looking at Hodgdon's, Berger's and Alliant's load data I can believe your friend's rifle may very well be at max. Only RL-33 shows a velocity over 2700 fps. Now I am wondering about my friend's load.
'

Looking around the net there are many who boast higher velocities with their 338 RUMs with 300 gr bullets including he link I posted earlier in this thread. Guess all that can be said is your results may vary.......

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
the case capacity of a 338 Edge is around 114 gr H2O , and a 338 Lapua is near the same

the capacity of a 338 RUM is very little less at about 108-9 gr H2O

assuming identical barrels and throating , there is no way an Edge is gonna beat a RUM by 300 fps

My 26 inch Lapua with 300 gr slugs tops out at 2700 fps with H1000 and maybe 2800 with RL33

there is really nothing to be gained by rechambering an RUM to Edge unless the brass is just much easier to come by in your locallity.......300 RUM brass is near non-existant in the USA , so is 338 RUM for that matter

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fred is amazingly full of fhuqking schit,as well as amazing fhuqking stupid...though in no particular order.

Pass the reserve COAL of the OEM Ultra,the no muss/fuss and identical performance values.

As bore sizing and bullet mass goes up,it takes some serious case capacity increases,to make even a little fhuqk. The 338 Edge is THE Cough Silencer in that bore sizing and it's funnier than fhuqk that The Haybale & Crockett Crowd champion it so. Funnier yet,that they gotta lie out their asses to do so!

The only thing Fred shoots,is her mouth and Imagination.

Wow +P+!.....................

(Addendum)

'BUSTER,

I missed nothing,if only as per always. I've never heard of a false shoulder before,tell me more. Laughing!

Further,it is an inordinate OEM SAAMI chamber that isn't fhuqking sloppy. Read that again,now one more time. Hint.

Pressure is pressure. The Linda Lovelace OEM stuff will simply require more propellant,to make like pressure...but there's no speed "advantage" on either side of the fence,when talking Reloading. Now if slated by mandate to gun Schit Factory Fodder expressly,it is hardly "daunting" to chamber in accords to same. Hint. I wish I could accurately convey in words,how little of a fhuqk I could give in regards to 338 Ultra Factory Fodder. Re-hint.

The 338-378 is about as big of a piece of fhuqking schit,that there is going. That in regards to case design,brass quality and the mainstay 9-lugs. Hint. Cheer up,my TRG-S in 30-378 was an absolute piece of fhuqking schit too. Re-hint.

In overview,the 338 Ultra is the LAST fhuqking chambering that needs "souped" up,as it comes outta da can in marvelous form. Now noone fhuqking hates the POS Wyatt's extended magboxes more than I and I'd much rather go DBM instead of that. For a straight up Killing Rifle I'd simply build a 24" 338Ultra that'd kiss a 250 Skinner in mag confines,leaving .050" or so to chase lands. I could happily suffer an extended COAL DBM on a Giggles Rifle.

While my 26" was of course a fhuqking hammer,I'll happily toss away (1) click on the erector,to gain the increased portability.

Now the 338 Lapooey do enjoy the benefit of a shorter case,but I'd not wanna take a 700 bolt's face there. But I'm purty and look at things different than most.

Good talk.

Laughing!

Ooooooops...got to laughing too hard and forgot 1000 words. SAAMI 338 Ultra and 7-08AI,if only for conversation.

[Linked Image]

Just sayin'..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Big Stick, I think that you missed something important. My M-700 338 RUM has a really sloppy chamber. I expand virgin cases to 35 cal. and then neck back down leaving a noticeable false shoulder. After shooting once, I add two grains of US-869 to regain my load density.

There are two ways to soup up the factory 338 RUM. First, use a custom barrel and a minimum chamber. Second, stretch your magazine and seat bullets out farther. As usual, Remington made some compromises, to be able to peddle these 700's at a profit.

But doing both of the above mods, means that you have commercial ammunition available, and the legal 338 R.U.M. legend stamped on your barrel for "wheels up" hunting trips. All of these brass cases will have 338 RUM head stamps to go along with the barrel legend.

The 338 RUM has earned a reputation for accuracy, as is. Remington has said that they will never sell these RUM's as Basic Brass, and trying to push back a 300 RUM's shoulders to make a longer necked 338 RUM, which might help, is very difficult to do, without crushing shoulders.

If you gotta have that last little bit of extra poop, then simply go with the 338 x 378 Weatherby. When I remount a 338 RUM barrel, it will be one of these custom barrel/chambered jobs. And the forward sling swivel mount will be soldered onto the now 25 inch long barrel. You live, and hopefully learn, along the way. IMHO.

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
still hoping your dick will +p when you grow up I see. I just stated my experience with the two rifles in question I also stated my rifle has a 2" longer barrel. Flick it I'm not going to argue with you. In your world everyone that is forced to be around you must want to blow your or their head off. Your an interesting guy for sure

Last edited by fredIII; 05/14/15.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I think your take is spot on every thing I have read leads me to the fact that all three of the clamberings you mentioned are very close to the same. all will greatly benefit from 28"+ barrels. I like the edge based on the higher quality Norma brass I could get from nosler. And the ease of installing a Wyatt extended box mag in a remingtion 700 and using a standard mag bolt face. I have found the rem brass has a little more capacity than the Norma. But to push a 300 gr Berger at 2800 brass life is long and pressure is min. I have pushed them to 2990 but the brass suffers and pressure Is measured at about 68,700 psi. With the price and limited supply of brass I will run the slower load.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fred you poor poor CLUELES fhuqk...I enjoy your Imagination,almost as much as you do. Congratulations?!?

Didn't mean to horn you up,but there's no slighting your taste in men. Bless your heart.

Please do not let the cat get your tongue,nor the couch your kchunt,as you wax eloquent on the sweet "satisfactions" of Retardation and obliviously quantify your fhuqking amazing Stupidity,even more.

Now your buddy's Ultra wooded up,will only make 2550fps with a triple hundy and your MAGIC Edge will now make 2990fps with the same boolit at like pressure(don't forget you cited he's got 'er souped right the fhuqk up!)...for a 440fps advantage?!? All of it due to the fantastical "gains" in case capacity ala the Edge?!? Holy fhuqking schit I'm crying I'm laughing soooooooo fhuqking hard,you amazingly inept Drooling Dumbfhuck!

Who chews your food for you?!? Whoever they are,they're good at it,as you are nearly outta skin to boot. Laughing!

Wow +P++!

Knock it outta Da Park and elaborate on that which compells you to be a lying piece of fhuqking schit? Say it purty and go FULL fhuqking Safarimam on the excuse(s).

You're doing fhuqking GREAT and as you elude...only YOU,can answer as to why you are such a poozy. You "hard chargers" are a fhuqking riot!

Laughing!.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
How it work you spend ten minutes talking to some one and they blow the top of their head off standing right in front of you. Or They wait and shove a garden hose in their exhaust pipe right after they are out of sight. You are truly an offensive pile of bi polar schit

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fredIII
My edge will run a 300 Berger at 2890 with out pushing and my buddies rum runes the same at 2550 my barrel is 2" longer I would take the edge hands down.

Originally Posted by fredIII
I think your take is spot on every thing I have read leads me to the fact that all three of the clamberings you mentioned are very close to the same.

Fred,

I'm not sure I understand your position. First you state that you'd take the Edge "hands down". Then you state that the Edge, Lapua, and RUM are "very close to the same". Then you ramble on.

If the Edge is very close to the RUM, how do you explain the 340 fps difference?

Jason

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
My position is I like the edge it's typical 150 to 200 fps faster the other two can come close based on barrel length and so on but the edge is my choice

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

If the Edge is very close to the RUM, how do you explain the 340 fps difference?

Jason

[/quote]

Two different guns wink

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
MY factory 338 RUM shoots the 300 berger right at 2650 fps.

Freds Edge has a very minimal advantage over my RUM but he has 2" more barrel. With a 28" barrel i would guess the RUM would push the 300 very close to 2750.

As it is, using Freds 2890 fps his bullet arrives at 1000 yds 130 fps faster and with 285 ft/lbs more energy then my RUM.

Negligible difference in my book.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fred's Imagination is taking her places that don't exist and she's Pretending that they're "real". Funny schit!

So according to Fred,the Edge is either 440fps,200fps or 150fps faster than the RUM and her vast "experience",amazing "knowledge" and firsthand "results" corroborate this...despite her being plagued by a lifetime of being a poozy. Laughing!

Maybe she'll hang a pic of the POS,replete with her skin singin' at 120psi and narrow things down a smidge more.

Where do these fhuqking IDIOTS come from?!?

Wow +P+!...................

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Fred's Imagination is taking her places that don't exist and she's Pretending that they're "real". Funny schit!

So according to Fred,the Edge is either 440fps,200fps or 150fps faster than the RUM and her vast "experience",amazing "knowledge" and firsthand "results" corroborate this...despite her being plagued by a lifetime of being a poozy. Laughing!

Maybe she'll hang a pic of the POS,replete with her skin singin' at 120psi and narrow things down a smidge more.

Where do these fhuqking IDIOTS come from?!?

Wow +P+!...................

Is there anyone anywhere as smart as this phuquer? I mean the guy is a genius in his own mind. I am in awe, is there nothing he doesn't know? He must be Martha Stewart's brother. Let the flood gates open.

Last edited by Jkob; 05/14/15.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Page 1 of 51 1 2 3 50 51

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

142 members (338reddog, 204guy, 338rcm, 907brass, 338Rules, 16penny, 21 invisible), 1,721 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,049
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.