Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
The more complicated requirements for taking firearms out and back have been temporarily suspended. But it appears there is a new issue with ammo. My booking agent forwarded info apparently from a SCI bulletin that says, “Please note, if you are taking ammunition, and there is a possibility you will not use it all and would like to re-import it, your 4457 should reflect the kind of ammunition you are departing with.”

Now this is one of the silliest things I have ever seen.

My question to anyone who has recently returned through Atlanta is, did you see any evidence of officials there asking about a Form 4457 for ammo?

We leave on May 31.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No...but to reduce hassle I make it a habit to leave all ammo with my PH..they can always use it, and then there are so issues at airports...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ingwe
No...but to reduce hassle I make it a habit to leave all ammo with my PH..they can always use it, and then there are so issues at airports...

....and, if asked, the correct answer is "We shot it all up at targets after we were done hunting".

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W

I hear ya, but with the problems I have getting components, I am very reluctant to leave anything over there. Finally found some RL15, but haven't seen any 375 H&H brass in ages.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Its just as hard, if not harder for them, and is expensive as hell over there...consider it part of your tip.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Its just as hard, if not harder for them, and is expensive as hell over there...consider it part of your tip.

I've read/heard that knives, binos, ammo, etc., should never be considered as part of the "tip"......I guess if you want to make it a "gift" to foster good relations for another upcoming hunt, or just to say "thanks for a great time", then go for it. smile
I guess if they have trouble getting components over there, they can always save me the empty cases and I'll bring 'em back and refill 'em! whistle

Last edited by 16gauge; 05/02/15.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
As part of the tip I always ask what do they need that they can't get there? On one occasion I took over a suitcase full of ranch dressing, on another two pair of a certain model Nike running shoe for the PHs wife...
When the Nikes cost $279 a pair there, they were appreciated! grin

Yeah, ammo shouldn't be considered a major part of the tip, but at the prices it goes for over there, it should be considered...but I think only if your PH uses that cartridge...some just keep them around for clients who are unprepared.

Last edited by ingwe; 05/02/15.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yeah, I've heard that Hershey bars can be worth their weight in gold. laugh .....and camo clothing is difficult to get as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

This is exactly what I did......empties and all

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
All good ideas, as my suitcase was full of my gear, several large bags of lifesavers, gum, and Reese's peanut butter cups. I also had a spare set of Cabelas Outfitter HD binos that I gave to my PH, as well as a new pair of sneakers.

To the OP, I returned via Atlanta this past Thursday morning. They did look at my 4457 but asked zero questions about any ammo or ITN#.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
JG, Thanks! I was hoping someone who had been through Atlanta could comment on the ammo question. Clearly, there is a lot of confusion about this within CBP.

Fellas, I appreciate the advice about tipping. I think I am generouus to the point that I will be remembered from when I was there two years ago. But I am not keen to leave about half of the carefully neck-sorted brass I have for this rifle, especially when I don't know when I can get more.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have just returned from Africa thru Atlanta. Nothing other than the 4457 forms were required for entry back into the US for guns, ammo, scopes and etc. The US Customs, TSA and security was very easy to deal with. The people were very professional and courteous. No problems were experienced thru Atlanta. My ammo was locked in a separate case in my luggage and not inspected going or returning. Hope everyone else has it as easy as we did. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

329 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 163bc, 1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 986 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,515,032
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.