Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
So, the wife and I decided to venture out on the Kaskaskia river in our square back canoe on a lovely day. We motored up river about 6 miles and then made our way back, hitting some of the backwaters and streams that we saw on the way up. When we got back to the launch, it was a madhouse with dozens of trucks lined up to drop their loads and hit the water. 90% of the boats were pleasure craft, between 18 and 25 feet, loaded with beautiful people ready to imbibe, ski, sunbathe and wave at the fisher people.

As we wended our way through the morass, we heard a boat owner utter an expletive as he tried to start his big engine. Deader than the proverbial doornail. The dock attendant asked him to toss a line and he'd pull him over to the dock so it would clear the channel. The boat owner threw the whole line... Large boats don't necessarily mean large brains.

The doc attendant, then "properly" toss one end of the line back and pulled the angrier-by-the-minute boat owner to a safe location where he could work on his behemoth. It looked to be about 24 feet long, sleek, new and useless. As we motored past on my trolling motor, the boat owner spied the fact that I had two...count'em, two trolling motor batteries, and he inquired none-too-nicely if I'd he could use one to jump his monster...he didn't say monster...I just added that. (it should be noted, that this is the first time I ever in my life had two trolling motor batteries on hand in the canoe, but it was my first time on this river and I wanted to be prepared.) I said, sure. It worked. The guy said: "Thanks." One of his passengers, a rather lovely lass jokingly asked: "Could you follow us around for an hour just to make sure we don't get stranded?" I smiled and said, "NO, but I have a third seat available."

This is a case where David saved Goliath - and Goliath is still a prick.

It's a source of great pride to my family that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You can bet he won't hear the last of that story for as long as he carries that woman around with him.

By the way, it was very kind of you to loan him a battery to get a jump.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dan Chamberlain
Goliath is still a prick.

Too many Goliaths think that the only thing that matters in this world is money and themselves.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
So Goliath is a prick because he has bigger boat than you? I'm not getting it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it has more to do with his attitude than the size of his boat.

He was a dumbazz that couldn't think that incidentally owned a big boat....

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin

I think the rest of us "get it".

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg

I guess so. Amazing how a simple trip in the outdoors rates a thread these days. Jump the guy, stop the envy, and go do it again next weekend. You know he's not the first guy to have a dead battery in a boat.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have heard the larger the boat, the less it gets used.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

kwg

I guess so. Amazing how a simple trip in the outdoors rates a thread these days. Jump the guy, stop the envy, and go do it again next weekend. You know he's not the first guy to have a dead battery in a boat.

I wonder if this thread would have happened if the guy with the dead battery was in a 14' Jon boat, all else the same?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

kwg

Who shows up at a boat ramp with a dead battery?

I'll bet he ran the blower before dumping the boat into the water too...

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
No shiet. Like the guy I saw with a flat on the ramp. Who the [bleep] shows up at a boat ramp with a flat tire.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
L O L, I did last year !!

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

kwg

First thread I've read today.
If this is gonna set the tone for the rest, it's gonna be a bitchy day.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
When you back the trailer into the water, if it won't start on the trailer, it probably won't start off the trailer.

Doesn't hurt to bump the starter before you leave the house.

I have a boat with an air-cooled motor, i.e. no water pump. That one gets test started and run for at least a few seconds before I leave the house, and sometimes I start it before I back down the ramp.

I don't like to inconvenience others. Or perhaps I am simply vain and don't want to appear incompetent.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 05/04/15.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I would never consider NOT 'bumping it' prior to dropping it into the drink, agreed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wish I had a dollar for every time I saw someone with a dead motor (battery or otherwise) at a boat ramp. They aren't as reliable as cars. Best check it before you leave home.

I will say, the newer motors with fuel injection usually start right up with little hassle. But obviously they still need good batts, good fuel, and non-corroded wiring.

The last bass boat I owned was a 97 Champion with a 03 Optimax. The Opti was a gem; it never gave any trouble even though it was used when I bought it. The electrics often gave trouble, lots of connections heeded cleaning to make accessories work correctly.

Even though I had confidence in it, my routine was, back in, start the motor before detaching from trailer.

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 05/04/15.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
my boat is only 15 foot with a 50 yamaha, I never leave the house without starting it, I just want to hear it pop off! if I haven't used it in a while, like 6 weeks or longer, then it gets the water ear muffs and I run it about 10 min in the yard, I am done with fixing my stuff at the landing.

Funny Story, I had a friend years ago, we would pull up to the ramp drop his boat in the water, move it to the side by hand, park the truck and pull out the tool box.....LOL

J Simoneaud

Supper's ready!! you have 2 choices, Eat or Don't eat.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
only thing that matters in this world is money and themselves.

What else is there?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
usually do a fair amount of boating, I have my share of troubles with it, but have helped more folks than me needing help.

still though it happens

admittedly when my mechanical stuff ain't working properly it puts me in a sour mood.

hate mechanical or electrical problems cause I'm neither a mechanic or electrician.

don't think the size of the boat really matters, believe we're talking more about the size of the attitude at play.

this story was probably intended for me to remind me even when chit goes wrong, it's best to try and keep a civil disposition

something I've struggled with at times.

good of you to jump him Dan.

he was probably pizzed cause he didn't plan on the boat breaking down till farther away from the dock, considering the description you gave of his passenger!

we all at times seem to entertain a lil Gilligan's Island fantasy

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Even being prepared isn't fool-proof. I know just about enough about boats to find myself helping out every summer. Most people are really thankful, but some feel entitled. I try to be a good example as there's usually some cute and anxious kids ready for the thrill of the open water.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,377 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,048
Posts18,500,939
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.