Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...s-suspect-104yds-holding-horses-handgun/

AUSTIN (KXAN) – The gunman who attacked the federal courthouse, the Mexican consulate and the Austin Police Department headquarters was killed by a single shot taken from 312 feet away by mounted patrol Sgt. Adam Johnson who also held the reigns of two horses.

Sgt. Johnson told Chief Art Acevedo that he credits “divine intervention” and that the other officers in the mounted patrol unit who were advancing on the shooter should get the majority of the credit.

Acevedo described Larry Steve McQuilliams as being heavily armed with two “long rifle guns” including a .22 caliber and an AK-47-style weapon. In the rental van he used during the attacks, police found a book titled “Vigilantes of Christendom” as well as multiple propane cans fashioned as Improvised Explosive Devices. Also inside the van, officers found a map with 34 targets, including two downtown churches.
- See more at: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ing-horses-handgun/#sthash.vJz8tZpD.dpuf

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a fan of Texas lawmen. But, that lucky (very very lucky) shot stood a better chance of missing and hitting an innocent down range. He should never have taken that shot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Careful, wringing your hands that much can cause chafing.

Wet blanket. I'm glad he took the hail Mary shot, saved other people's lives and in doing so realized his true potential in life. Some never do.

Edit to add: Not only that but he's humble about what many would consider a superhuman feat and what may be the greatest defining moment of his life. I applaud him.

Last edited by RyeDaddy; 05/04/15.

If 2nd amendment rights can be subject to licensing and fees, how was the poll tax unconstitutional?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
I'm a fan of Texas lawmen. But, that lucky (very very lucky) shot stood a better chance of missing and hitting an innocent down range. He should never have taken that shot.

Luck would have been if the man closed his eyes, spun the horses in a circle, stuck his arm out, fired randomly, and killed the guy.

He hit what he was aiming at. That isn't necessarily luck.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You don't know what was in the background, the shot could have been perfectly safe. You also don't know that the shooter hadn't practiced long range shooting and knew what hold over was required to hit his target.

Aim at head and bullet would drop into chest. Not that difficult.

Last edited by ConradCA; 05/05/15.

[Linked Image from ]
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
wasn't there, don't know the guys abilities.

but in this case he got er done

works for me

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I talked to a neighbor that works for APD, he said the guy shoots a lot. I didn't sound like it was all luck.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Hitting a man sized target at 100 yards, should be "par", not a hole in one.

I regularly knock over bowling pins at 75 yards standing, strike an 8" gong at 80. Hitting something with an 18" circle at 100 should be reasonable, not exceptional.

Of course, that's without adrenalin pumping or bullets whizzing my way. Give credit where credit is due. The shot shouldn't have been all that difficult.

The circumstances - makes it remarkable.

Dan

It's a source of great pride to my family that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Agree. Probably a few thousand posts on social media about how the cop should be prosecuted.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tbear
Agree. Probably a few thousand posts on social media about how the cop should be prosecuted.

Social media... yeah that should dictate policy because of all those intelligent, experienced and knowledgable anonymous posters. Just like the one above who pretends to know the background behind the bad guy and what the officer saw at that moment. Groan... frown

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Dan Chamberlain
Hitting a man sized target at 100 yards, should be "par", not a hole in one.

Of course, that's without adrenalin pumping or bullets whizzing my way. Give credit where credit is due. The shot shouldn't have been all that difficult.

The circumstances - makes it remarkable.

Dan

Exactly what Dan said. Exactly.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Paladin

Luck would have been if the man closed his eyes, spun the horses in a circle, stuck his arm out, fired randomly, and killed the guy.

He hit what he was aiming at. That isn't necessarily luck.

i'm pretty sure you could make that shot, and it wouldn't be luck, either.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

not so

He was a Texan

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
GMAFB...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I can bust bricks at 50 yards on a regular basis with my Glock 23 and hitting a target the size of a man wouldn't be that hard to do, but i would prefer to use a two hand hold instead of just one hand. Plus you only have to be lucky once.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
It all depends on what kind of practice he partook of. Most people never even attempt shooting that far with a handgun, so they believe it to be impossible, or "lucky". Elmer Keith could routinely (if I remember correctly) hit a man size rock at over 400 yards, and once finished a wounded mule deer at over 800 yards with an open sighted 4 inch S&W 44 Magnum.

Last edited by HilhamHawk; 05/05/15.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by bea175
I can bust bricks at 50 yards on a regular basis with my Glock 23 and hitting a target the size of a man wouldn't be that hard to do, but i would prefer to use a two hand hold instead of just one hand. Plus you only have to be lucky once.

I don't doubt it a bit. I went out shooting with one of my buddies, back in my younger days, and saw a bunch of unbroken clays on the berm. I started shooting at them with my Glock 23, and started consistently breaking them. Not every shot, but at least 3 out of 5 {and I was awful close on the misses). My buddy was amazed when we paced it off to 75 yards. I've also shot 6 round 100 yard groups with an open sighted Ruger Redhawk 44 Magnum that ran around 4 inches. And I don't consider myself to be all that great with a handgun.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I could mention rjm and a couple others on here too.
I bought a super redhawk in 44magnum many years ago mainly to shoot gallon milk jugs at 100yards.
With some of the new wonderkind cartridges like 357sig, you don't really have to worry much about holdover. Bullet goes where you point it.
after a while punching paper targets right in front of you gets boring.
Interesting enough, part of the firearms training on the S.O. back in the 70's was routinely shooting at 50yards. I knew this little lady instructor that with a j frame that could do head shots at that distance.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I shot enough bullseye, 3 inch 10 ring IIRC one handed, M9 service pistol, at 50 yards, with a horrible trigger on it and probably about 85% or so of my shots would land in the 10 ring at the time.

Human at 100, no problem.

And it really shouldn't be. The pressure could make it tougher and I don't deal well with pressrue at times, but I know folks that thrive on the moment and makes them even sharper and better...

As to not taking the shot, a miss at that range a time or two is much less chance than an LEO opening up and emptying the mag of the glock up close... Odds are worse there...IMHO.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It isn't hard at all to hit a man size target at 100 yards with a pistol , but it might get a little harder for some if the target is shooting back.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

495 members (219 Wasp, 12344mag, 160user, 22kHornet, 2500HD, 1badf350, 45 invisible), 2,128 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,091
Posts18,501,919
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.