Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Sowell is his usual brilliant self in this article.

http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...mmunities-social-breakdown-thomas-sowell

THE INCONVENIENT TRUTH ABOUT GHETTO COMMUNITIES SOCIAL BREAKDOWN

Among the many painful ironies in the current racial turmoil is that communities scattered across the country were disrupted by riots and looting because of the demonstrable lie that Michael Brown was shot in the back by a white policeman in Missouri — but there was not nearly as much turmoil created by the demonstrable fact that a fleeing black man was shot dead by a white policeman in South Carolina. Totally ignored was the fact that a black policeman in Alabama fatally shot an unarmed white teenager, and was cleared of any charges, at about the same time that a white policeman was cleared of charges in the fatal shooting of Michael Brown.

In a world where the truth means so little, and headstrong preconceptions seem to be all that matter, what hope is there for rational words or rational behavior, much less mutual understanding across racial lines? When the recorded fatal shooting of a fleeing man in South Carolina brought instant condemnation by whites and blacks alike, and by the most conservative as well as the most liberal commentators, that moment of mutual understanding was very fleeting, as if mutual understanding were something to be avoided, as a threat to a vision of “us against them” that was more popular. That vision is nowhere more clearly expressed than in attempts to automatically depict whatever social problems exist in ghetto communities as being caused by the sins or negligence of whites, whether racism in general or a “legacy of slavery” in particular. Like most emotionally powerful visions, it is seldom, if ever, subjected to the test of evidence.

The “legacy of slavery” argument is not just an excuse for inexcusable behavior in the ghettos. In a larger sense, it is an evasion of responsibility for the disastrous consequences of the prevailing social vision of our times, and the political policies based on that vision, over the past half century. Anyone who is serious about evidence need only compare black communities as they evolved in the first 100 years after slavery with black communities as they evolved in the first 50 years after the explosive growth of the welfare state, beginning in the 1960s. You would be hard-pressed to find as many ghetto riots prior to the 1960s as we have seen just in the past year, much less in the 50 years since a wave of such riots swept across the country in 1965.

We are told that such riots are a result of black poverty and white racism. But in fact — for those who still have some respect for facts — black poverty was far worse, and white racism was far worse, prior to 1960. But violent crime within black ghettos was far less. You cannot take any people, of any color, and exempt them from the requirements of civilization without ruinous consequences to them and to society at large. Murder rates among black males were going down — repeat, down — during the much-lamented 1950s, while it went up after the much celebrated 1960s, reaching levels more than double what they had been before. Most black children were raised in two-parent families prior to the 1960s. But today the great majority of black children are raised in one-parent families. Such trends are not unique to blacks, nor even to the United States. The welfare state has led to remarkably similar trends among the white underclass in England over the same period. Just read Life at the Bottom, by Theodore Dalrymple, a British physician who worked in a hospital in a white slum neighborhood.

You cannot take any people, of any color, and exempt them from the requirements of civilization — including work, behavioral standards, personal responsibility, and all the other basic things that the clever intelligentsia disdain — without ruinous consequences to them and to society at large. Non-judgmental subsidies of counterproductive lifestyles are treating people as if they were livestock, to be fed and tended by others in a welfare state — and yet expecting them to develop as human beings have developed when facing the challenges of life themselves. One key fact that keeps getting ignored is that the poverty rate among black married couples has been in single digits every year since 1994. Behavior matters and facts matter, more than the prevailing social visions or political empires built on those visions.

Thomas Sowell is a senior fellow at the Hoover Institution, Stanford University. His website is www.tsowell.com. © 2015 Creators Syndicate Inc.

Last edited by RobJordan; 05/05/15.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a smart man

can't have too many of them and at times there seems to be a dire shortage of them

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No ethnicity has enough members cut from the cloth he has been…..

A very insightful, courageous, and honorable man...

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
“There is another class of coloured people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs – partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs.”

Booker T. Washington (over a hundred years ago)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes just follow the money.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I'd like to see which (if any) Republican presidential candidate has the balls to argue that the Demoncrat party and their welfare state are who are really responsible for situations like Baltimore and the ills plaguing the black family.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
It appears the more intelligent, sane and thoughtful the essay, the greater heat it generates from those who do battle with reason. Daniel C.

It's a source of great pride to my family that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RobJordan
I'd like to see which (if any) Republican presidential candidate has the balls to argue that the Demoncrat party and their welfare state are who are really responsible for situations like Baltimore and the ills plaguing the black family.
laugh - you'll be waiting a VERY long time for THAT...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by RobJordan

That will happen (and has) before any DemoncRat presidential candidate ever admits this truth.
DemoncRats like to keep their pets on the plantation for their votes in exchange for continuing their policy of "redistribution of wealth" (steal from whitey)
RhinocRats want to keep their "no term limits" seat at the table of power so they will never speak "Truth to PC"

It was Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver (SFC E-7)who said:
"No, no, I've got them right where I want them -- surrounded from the inside."

http://www.macvsog.cc/1969.htm
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That was a very logical, well thought out, and well written article. Too bad there's not a hood rat in North America that could comprehend what he is saying!

Hilarity Clinton in 2016! (After all, we should make sure this once great Country is COMPLETELY ruined! ) .... Yes, sarcasm

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Depicting blacks as the "pets" of liberals is getting very near the core of the problem.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a smart man

I have been reading his stuff for a long time and yes he is just that. The Arkansas Democrat paper used to carry him a couple of times a week, and maybe still does, but I no longer subscribe to the paper. At first, I figured that his anti white would eventually show through but I was wrong, and he indeed has a handle on what is happening. One of the greats in my opinion. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
He was born in my hometown and is one of the best things that ever came out of this area.

twofish

*Master of random precision*

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (Amos63, 7mm_Loco, AnthonyB, 10 invisible), 1,501 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,083
Posts18,501,668
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.