Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just realized that it was 20 years ago that I started carrying. That got me thinking about what I've learned in that time. Thought I'd share.

Over the past two decades, I've carried while living and working in over 10 states. I've carried everything from a full-size 1911, Glock, K- and L-frames, and even Ruger single-actions, all the way down to stuff as small as a Kel-Tex .32 and a .38 Derringer. I've carried open and concealed, and I'll admit that at times/locations, I've carried in spite of what the ridiculous laws were in some jurisdictions. I've carried open and concealed.

Here are the things that I've distilled down. Some of this might make sense ; some might not make much sense at all.

1) Jurisdictions matter. If you value your ability to defend yourself and your family, and you value your Constitutionally protected rights, then living where those things are also valued makes a difference.

2) Voting matters. See above.

3) Carrying every day is what matters. The .45 in your truck or on your nightstand does you no good and is a helluva lot less than the .32 in your pocket. Find something that you CAN carry every day, and carry it. Every day. I have several that I trade in and out of the rotation, but I carry at least one every day.

4) Reliability matters. A used, dead-reliable pistol without any "prestige" is a helluva lot better than a brand new, fancy, unproven or unreliable pistol. I've owned some high-dollar, "prestigious" makers that just didn't prove reliable. They are gone. I carry a couple less prestigious pistols that have never failed me and that I trust. If the time ever comes that I have to use one, the make won't matter but the reliability will.

5) K.I.S.S. matters. Carrying and using a pistol that you carry should not require a lot of thinking. It should be natural, and it should be instinctive. We're fortunate to live in an era with a lot of very simple, very reliable pistols. From Centennial J-frames to Glocks and M&Ps, this doesn't have to be difficult. If you can and choose to carry a 1911 or a BHP or something else that requires a lot of practice to master, then that's a great choice - if you dedicate yourself to mastery and practice. If not, then choose something more simple and easier to master with less effort. FYI - I carry a BHP quite often, and a 1911 fairly regularly. I put a lot of rounds through them, and I trust them and myself with them. A Glock or an M&P or similar is easier. A revolver is easier yet.

6) Ammunition matters. The bullet is what does the dirty work. Choose well. For me, I've found a very easy way to choose is to check with local LEOs carry. There are generally a couple or more local agencies (sheriff's offices, town/city PDs, state police), so you have a few choices. You're hard pressed to choose poorly if you find one of those loads that works reliably in your pistol.

7) Holsters matter, and belts matter more. A good holster makes carry easy. A great holster makes carry comfortable. A poor belt renders even the best holster nearly worthless. Money spent on these two items is money very well spent.

8) Open carry matters. You may never choose to carry open, but it makes a huge difference. Open carry lawful means that even if you slip up and "show", or you're seen putting the holster on, or the pistol in, etc., then you're covered. I've found that it also makes a huge difference in flexibility. Being able to carry open means you have options. It also makes carry much more "socially acceptable". I currently live in a jurisdiction and an area where OC is widely accepted and practiced. I seen a lot of people carrying daily, and no one pays them any attention at all.

9) "Other stuff" matters. I try not to carry a "bat belt" worth of schit. In addition to the pistol, I carry a wallet, watch, cellphone, good lock blade, and either an SAK or a small multi-tool. There is a very small, very powerful light that I'm also carrying now and I think it is earning a permanent spot. That's it.

10) "Bragging rights" don't matter. If you carry something that works for you, that you carry every single day, that is reliable for you, and that you are confident in and trust, then what someone else thinks of it doesn't matter.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GB1

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager

10) "Bragging rights" don't matter.

does this mean you'll stop giving me schit about the colt?

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE

10) "Bragging rights" don't matter.

does this mean you'll stop giving me schit about the colt?

Do you REALLY bet your ass on a .25ACP?

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm betting my ass on the 9mm at 4 oclock.

the 25 is ballast so I can walk near straight

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
started carrying when I was 15. 4 inch barrel Colt .38, stuffed in my pants. Guess that would be some 54 years of carrying. smile

Points above are well taken. Simple, reliable, effective, consistent. That means the weapon, load, holster and belt. All play a part.

Sam......

IC B2

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE
I'm betting my ass on the 9mm at 4 oclock.

the 25 is ballast so I can walk near straight

Laughing. Gotcha.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
good post!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
started carrying when I was 15. 4 inch barrel Colt .38, stuffed in my pants. Guess that would be some 54 years of carrying. smile

DAMN, I did the same thing, only 59 years ago. It was a 4" colt Cobra and now resides in my daughters safe, yep still in the family. Grandpa bought it in 1952 and gave it to me when I turned 15 to carry while fishing and hunting, I carried it a bit more often! smile smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All valid points and good advice. I have had folks tell me I was carrying useless "mouse gun" more than once, my stock answer was always "OK, can I shoot you with it right now?". They always answered with an emphatic NO!

Funny that eh?

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T LEE
All valid points and good advice. I have had folks tell me I was carrying useless "mouse gun" more than once, my stock answer was always "OK, can I shoot you with it right now?". They always answered with an emphatic NO!

Funny that eh?

Yeah, but at least you don't carry a .25ACP.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Well said. Good post.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Very practical advise.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you for the pointers sir.

Never steered me wrong before, and I'll be making sure to get a good belt for carry in the very near future.

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yep. Good common sense stuff.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

8) Open carry matters. You may never choose to carry open, but it makes a huge difference. Open carry lawful means that even if you slip up and "show", or you're seen putting the holster on, or the pistol in, etc., then you're covered. I've found that it also makes a huge difference in flexibility. Being able to carry open means you have options. It also makes carry much more "socially acceptable". I currently live in a jurisdiction and an area where OC is widely accepted and practiced. I seen a lot of people carrying daily, and no one pays them any attention at all.

That can't possibly be true, it goes against everything stated in this thread (insert sarcasm here):
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9830212/Open_Carry_vs._CC#Post9830212

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I started carrying at 14 years old and started with a Model 10 4 inch and 36 2 inch . My favorite load was the Winchester 158 gr SWC some ended up calling the FBI load

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Funny that eh?

i have a couple of .25acp's, a colt and a walther.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i started carrying a .22 oc probably around age 11. Course just about every other boy in town was doing the same thing. Nobody thought it was odd or unusual.
I never had a thought of it as self protection against humans, it was for rabbits, stuff like that.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

Funny that eh?

Hell yeah! brother...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

Funny that eh?

Hell yeah! brother...

I should add a little bit about that walther, it was delivered to me by the widow of a guy that had been in the rainbow division during WWII. The extractor and firing pin had been removed at her insistence. Came with a pancake german shoulder holster. Those little guys were only issued to high ranking gooberment officials and high ranking nazi's. They carried them mostly for cerimonial functions most likely. My problem was finding the parts to relight it. This particular model was only made for a few months circa 1934.. I even got a email from a walther, at walther in Germany stating he didn't know where to get the parts. So i had a machinest gunsmith friend make them. When he had it done, he said it was one of the few guns he had worked on that he thought about saying he "lost" it.
I pulled out a single shot .22short colt derringer made by ulberti today. Threw it in a pants pocket. Ain't much of a gun, but it's for that "get out of my face moment" as somebody said. They all have their place.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 05/06/15.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (444Matt, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 14 invisible), 1,615 guests, and 860 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,295
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.