Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The 19 (Gen 4) is a good way to go.

If you need a Smith to tune/customize the pistol to suit your individual needs give serious consideration to Mod 1 Firearms in Nicholasville.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Walker. I'm sure there will be something I'll want to change. I tend to be that way. I've got a Sig 229 M11a1 but I'm thinking for a knock-around, throw around carry gun (as long as it is reliable) a 19 would be a better choice and I could use the left-over $$ to put toward another gun.......(grin).

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Lastround,

That is the issue with Glock. For the money you have to spend, they are very hard to beat.

If you take into account magazine capacity, durability and functional reliability, you will look long and hard for something from another manufacturer that will do the same work for the same money.

Still, I don't much enjoy shooting them.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I recently bought a Glock 17.

It is boringly dependable, reasonably accurate, and ugly.

I would bet my life on it.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
We picked up a couple for my wife and I last winter.. A 19 for here and a 21 for me.. They are great for firepower, but I am a revolver guy.. However, we purchased them for the truck and camper when on trips.. they are great for that.. Plus they have lots of ammo to cover our tails til we can get to the shotguns and rifles...

Molon Labe
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by woods_walker
The 19 (Gen 4) is a good way to go.

If you need a Smith to tune/customize the pistol to suit your individual needs give serious consideration to Mod 1 Firearms in Nicholasville.

I'm still not sold on the Gen. 4 Glocks ,just yet. And 'Ive yet to fire one, but I heard they had some problems right when they were first released. All my Glocks are Gen. 3 guns. They continue to work just fine for me and function flawlessly.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
One thing that hasn't been discussed is that the sights on ALL Glocks are plastic and badly need to be replaced. Fortunately almost every configuration is available for Glocks.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep. All my Glocks have metal Trijocon tritium night sights.

On my first Glock 19, before we had Concealed Carry here in TX, I grabbed my gun out of my truck toolbox at the gate to our Ranch on a State Farm to Market road to kill a big ass TX Rattlesnake. I bumped the front of my Glock 19 on the side of the toolbox, and my front sight went flying into the weeds. Damn hard to hit a moving rattler without a front sight!!!

The first thing I usually do when buying a new Glock is putting steel sights on them!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's good to know. Why in the world would they put plastic sights on a steel slide? Not a deal breaker, but dumb (cheap too). Woodswalker, there you go. I'll need that smith for sights if nothing else.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another question....is there a problem with 9mm brass being unsupported as with the 40 S&W?

Doug
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Never had a brass problem with mine.

I went TFO on the sites because I got a good deal on them and the pistol resides primarily in my bedroom for things that go bump in the night. Though I recently moved from one of the worse areas of GB to a small village on the lakeshore - nothing goes bump in the night here.

Other than that - the ZEV trigger parts (race connector, spring kit, TiN safety etc - about 60 dollars worth) and shot it. All it's required.

Me

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by lastround
Another question....is there a problem with 9mm brass being unsupported as with the 40 S&W?

no……well, at least I haven't heard of any…….all of the kabooms that I've heard about were with .40……of course, I could be wrong.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To me it is about economics. I can buy 2 used Glocks for the price of 1 new Sig or Para or Kimber.

2 is one, 1 is none.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Glock 19 is a no-brainer.

Get a police trade-in. Should include tritiums so you don't have to dick with the replacement of factory stuff.

Use left over money to buy a case of ammo. If you do this at the time of purchase, you may be able to work a deal to get both cheaper.

9's can/will kaboom but the 40's are the ones with the more worserer track record.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

Get a police trade-in. Should include tritiums so you don't have to dick with the replacement of factory stuff.

Use left over money to buy a case of ammo. If you do this at the time of purchase, you may be able to work a deal to get both cheaper.

9's can/will kaboom but the 40's are the ones with the more worserer track record.

Travis
I would add...set aside at least $150 for a world class holster...I mean, buy the best holster you can get your hands on. Personally, I'd rather carry a $369 Ruger SR9 in a first rate holster than a $579 Glock in a second rate holster. A first rate holster makes life much more comfortable, which means you're more likely to actually carry, and enjoy carrying...and that's the goal.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gmoats
Originally Posted by lastround

no……well, at least I haven't heard of any…….all of the kabooms that I've heard about were with .40……of course, I could be wrong.
All Glocks have the same amount of case support, regardless of cartridge. The difference is the strength of the brass, not the support of the brass.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FlaRick
The Glock 19 is often reported as the most popular handgun in America. God only knows how many million of them have been sold. However, I can't recall ever seeing one for sale in the Free Classifieds. Just might mean something. wink

Glock Gen4 19 is what i'm carry at the moment Crossbreed Super Tuck loaded with Hornady Critical Duty Ammo. HD Trijicon Sights and Fulcrum Trigger Replacement

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I love my Gen 4 G19! I polished the internals, Zev spring kit (left striker spring stock), Lone Wolf connector, and Ameriglo Pro I Dot night sights. I've got 600 rounds through it so far with 0 issues. I've been carrying it for the last 2 months in an Alien Gear IWB holster.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis
I would add...set aside at least $150 for a world class holster...I mean, buy the best holster you can get your hands on. Personally, I'd rather carry a $369 Ruger SR9 in a first rate holster than a $579 Glock in a second rate holster. A first rate holster makes life much more comfortable, which means you're more likely to actually carry, and enjoy carrying...and that's the goal.

I'm bad to carry Mexican style and the Glock is no exception. Into the waistband it goes.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You can't go wrong with a Glock 19.Just go to the store and feel up both the 19 Gen3 and the 19 Gen4.If you're concerned about the polymer sights,order some Glock steel sights that are identical almost to the polymers.These are really great sights.The Glock brand night sights are actually the brightest night sights I've ever seen,cost me $52 per set installed by Glock at the Plant in Smyrna,Ga.I waited 20 minutes in the reception room while the tech put them on a G36 and a G30.He also put new recoil springs and swapped out all my magazines I took in.Everything was for free ,only paid for the new night sights.I like Glock.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,300 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,288
Posts18,486,906
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.