Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You got a Ford press too, ain't you shrap? smile

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Some people shoot a lot and some people write about it...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shooting is better than writing!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Shrap n S.Tx sho do got that right...ScottyO.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the only way I see having a "LIFETIME SUPPLY" of BULLETS is having a 35-50 caliber rifle and casting your own, as needed, from a stash of several thousand lbs of lead ingots.
and obviously youll need to store a couple dozen 5000 primer cartons, thousands of brass cases,the required loading tools, and more powder than the feds would be likely to approve of in any residential address

Last edited by 340mag; 05/08/15.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Oh, I forgot about my lead supply. Let's just say there won't be any tornadoes carrying my garage away like Dorothy & Toto.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Kirk,

It's a good thing you started shooting plastic-tipped bullets. Otherwise a bunch of people would have never heard of them....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Kirk,

It's a good thing you started shooting plastic-tipped bullets. Otherwise a bunch of people would have never heard of them....

Thanks for noticing that, I am trying to do my part. You are in for the Invitational, right?

Last edited by shrapnel; 05/08/15.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Kirk,
Which soft bags are those on your "ready on the firing line" shelf of ammo?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep. Already have a tent, earplugs The Essential Shovel on the list.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Kirk,

I have the Dillon ammo bags that look just like those. I would guess that's what they are.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I was just starting to feel like a hoarder until I saw Shrapnel's stash. Now I see that I'm just buying in bulk.

Muledeer is not posting pics, so I know he's got it worse than Shrapnel.

Last edited by Grand; 05/08/15.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Kirk,

They are Dillon "Border Shift" range bags...

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Thank you.

Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yep. Already have a tent, earplugs The Essential Shovel on the list.

Don't forget the Rent-A-Shovel.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I definitely have enough stuff for all the hunting I'm likely to do, but maybe not all the shooting.

Lately, I've been trying to acquire stuff that is multi-purpose. For example, the Laser Cast .458 bullets I bought for my .45/70 will work in my Knight with the proper sabot. LilGun is good in the Hornet and jacketed .357 loads as is H110. Varget is good for all kinds of stuff, even if not always ideal and according to Pearce's article in the newest Hodgdon Annual, doesn't much care what primer you spark it with in the .308. Trail Boss is fine and pretty much foolproof for .38 practice loads and in my limited tests, gives good accuracy with jacketed-bullet rifle loads.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T

What components fall into the lifetime supply category for you? And, what do you consider that quantity to be?

Answer: None

I was raised near Sierra Bullets former Santa Fe Springs, CA factory and my parents still live in the same place. Right up to the time Sierra moved to Missouri, I used to buy component bullets there by the pound in paper sacks. I had accumulated upwards of fifty pounds of 120 grain. .257" GameKing HPBT's for example, which I thought would be a "lifetime supply" of bullets for my .250 Savage rifle.

Well, that wasn't a lifetime supply. It took me three years to shoot it up. I had about the same poundage of 165 grain, .308 GameKing HPBTs for my .30-'06. They were gone in three years, too.

I bought the last of these bullets in 1991 or 1992 and for the next 20 years, I barely made a dent in the supply. But I moved from the Los Angeles Metro area to rural eastern Oklahoma in 2007 and finally got all of my guns and reloading stuff moved with me by 2012. I live just a fifteen minute drive away from a public range that I can use for the cost of a hunting license that I'm going to have each year, anyhow.

Proximity to the shooting range = more opportunity to shoot. And I shoot at least 200 rounds of center-fire rifle ammo per week. When I had those paper sacks of Sierra bullets moved to my ammo locker here in Oklahoma, I was shooting 200 rounds of centerfire rifle ammo, four days a week. Thus, what was meant to be a lifetime supply only lasted about three years.

So I've given up on trying to keep a lifetime supply in favor of keeping a reserve supply of both loaded ammo and components to load more -200 rounds of loaded ammo and enough components to reload those. I don't know why I even bother doing that -no real reason, beyond not wanting to be without ammo.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, a "lifetime supply" can vary with your circumstances.

I can still remember buying my first brick of .22 Long Rifles at age 12 and thinking I had a year's supply. Fortunately I had a summer job in rural Montana and it didn't last much longer than a couple of boxes had before that.

Had the same feeling when I bought my first 8-pounder of rifle powder. Same deal: Was living in a rural part of Montana and it didn't last a year. I just shot more!

John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Just yesterday I stumbled into 700 .20 32gr. bullets that my .204s like, a LOT. I practically stole them, in fact, but I don't need 'em, really. But when a deal presents itself, you gotta be nuts not to scarf it up.

That raises my .20 bullet stock by about 50% and I'll need new barrels before I use 'em up.
I've got plenty of deer bullets, and plenty of rat bullets,plenty enough powder to keep them loaded, and enough 12 gauge already loaded to last "awhile".
I've been stumbling into quite a bit of .22LR lately, too, so I'm good for a couple or three years of that stuff, too.

Life is good!

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Can never have enough ammo and as we all know the length of a lifetime varies by quite a bit sometimes... For me, I like having at least 200 pcs of brass for each rifle I own (besides 22lr and .223 rem where I have thousands of those), a thousand bullets for each rifle/chambering, and enough powder to blow the garage up sick. Is that enough? Well, probably...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

270 members (01Foreman400, 338reddog, 160user, 2UP, 257 mag, 35, 24 invisible), 1,813 guests, and 940 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,628
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.