Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
OK need help spending some $$. I have a little 10/22 that I customized years ago with a Volquartsen barrel and trigger kit. Shoots better than I do.

I plan to pass it on to my granddaughter and in a few years her younger brother. So I need something to replace it. I've thought about various bolt 22s but keep coming back to the 10/22.

I don't want one of the scifi looking radical customs but I'm having trouble deciding which way to go.

I do have a factory 10/22 action so options are open:

Simply take the action buy custom parts and build it myself like last time.

Send the action to Clark to use as one of their customs.

Buy a complete rifle from clark.

Purchase a complete rifle from Volquartsen built on their CNC stainless action.

Or????

I will probably just start with a Hogue and build my own wood stock.

Just my 2 cents.
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
or??

??=Kidd

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Great more research.

Kidd was a new one on me. Some now more screen time doing research.

Just my 2 cents.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I prefer traditional looking rifles, I stumbled into this Volquartsen in a local gun shop a couple years ago, to me it was the perfect combination of traditional and modern. And it can shoot, target is 10 shots at 100 yards, only part on it Ruger is the mag, everything else is Volquartsen.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Augie

That is what I have in mind for a finished project to look like. Maybe more traditional butt without the rollover.

Since any way you go the bolt(maybe), trigger, barrel are all going to be aftermarket. So do you gain by going with an after market action as well?

Last edited by ramrod340; 05/09/15.

Just my 2 cents.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Go to Walmarts and buy yourself a Ruger 10-22 , toss the barrel and stock , rebuild the trigger with Volquartsen parts , stick on a Kidd barrel use a Boyd Lam Stock and the custom you are talking about will have nothing on it and you will save a bunch of money to buy ammo.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
bea175
You must have missed it. I already own a 10-22 action. So no need to head to walmart except for ammo. wink Kidd keeps coming up. I really need to research them. I have a Volquartson carbon fiber on my old rifle. I went with parts in the trigger assembly the last time. What bout a complete lower?

Just my 2 cents.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it were my cash, Kidd would get it 😄

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DON'T overlook the new Ruger Deluxe varmint/target 10/22!

Comes with the new BX-25 trigger housing that has a 2.75lb pull that is crisp and nice to shoot plus the extended mag release. The barrel, rather than that twisty exterior older version is a 20 inch tube that is halfway between a true bull barrel and a sporter bbl.

Stock is real Walnut and checkered. No barrel band crap to screw with your groups.

After shooting mine for a year with a Nikon 2-7 rimfire scope I last week put a Leatherwood 4-16x44 side parralax and focus scope on mine. While i only had time to shoot at 25 yards so far, the three and five shot groups looked like one bullet hole until I cranked the scope way up or walked down range to see more clearly.

Above would explain why my brother in law and I have been hitting ground squirrels 100 yards out with regularity for the first year of this rifles life. It is a shooter for sure, and IMO a nice looking and feeling rifle as well. All for about $400 IIRC. Give one a good hard look, these have all of the features of a Volquartsen as best I can see, including the accuracy now.

Last edited by safariman; 05/11/15.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Augie
I prefer traditional looking rifles, I stumbled into this Volquartsen in a local gun shop a couple years ago, to me it was the perfect combination of traditional and modern. And it can shoot, target is 10 shots at 100 yards, only part on it Ruger is the mag, everything else is Volquartsen.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

i have to admit there, that is one good looking (and good shooting) set up. could you expand on the stock a bit? is that real wood? what kind of bedding or pillars does it have? single action take down screw or did they add an additional rear action screw too?

Last edited by JimHnSTL; 05/11/15.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
IC B3

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
""DON'T overlook the new Ruger Deluxe varmint/target 10/22!""

Having trouble find a picture must less info. Not on Ruger's site that I can see.

Just my 2 cents.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hope that it wasn't discontinued. I will take a picture of mine when I get back home and post it up here. I am back at the Kidney transplant hospital in Seattle for a while, not having good function with the four weeks old today new kidney, getting it biopsied today.

The one I have is a right fine set up, IME and IMO. I will see if I can find anything on it on the 'net.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here is one like mine:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/969235104/Ruger-10-22-Light-Varmint-Target-Rifle-22LR-1234-New.htm

I have a photo of my last group fired with mine on my cell phone. If anyone wants to see it or even post it up for me I will text or e-mail that photo with a PM'ed cell # or e-mail address.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here is a spec sheet and more details. It looks like it is a very limited production/limited run non catalouged item. But, IMO, worth waiting for. The link above shows one for sale for $399 and if I were in the market for a great 10/22 I would grab that one in a heartbeat. To get a great trigger and barrel plus checkered wood etc. for that price is an unbeatable value IMO. I cannot imagine wanting or needing more accuracy out of a 22LR than what mine gives me. Here ya go:

http://www.impactguns.com/ruger-1022-light-varmint-22lr-ss-varmint-barrel-1234-736676012343.aspx

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks for the info. At that price I for sure need to look at it. For sure some research on the trigger. Volquartsen and Kidd are in the $1100 range for a barreled action.

Man sure sorry to hear about the kidney issues. My shut down after my first heart surgery. 4 times on that damn machine was enough for me.

Got my fingers crossed that they get it figured out.

Just my 2 cents.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the kind words. My failed kidneys were discovered right after my heart attack in 2011.

The trigger on mine is quite good, these come with the new BX-25 trigger assembly which gives a trigger pull of under 3lbs, a crisp trigger and the extended magazine release.

Basically, Ruger figured out that they needed to build the 10/22 that many who bought their guns were trying to put together. I think that they succeeded.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
How does yours shoot with cheap plinking ammo? Accuracy and function? Does it have a tight chamber or will it run anything?

What about Stingers?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
How does yours shoot with cheap plinking ammo? Accuracy and function? Does it have a tight chamber or will it run anything?

What about Stingers?

I have not tried it with any of that, I will not run unplated 22's in any of my guns. So long ass it shoots great with my Fiocchi and WW high velocity HP's I am a happy guy. I had the chance several times of late to buy a brick of Thunderbolt 22's and I passed on them. Sorry that I cannot help you there. The literature does say that these have a tight chamber, and I sure do believe them based on how the rifle shoots.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

What about Stingers?

if you have any barrel that has some sort of target chamber you do not want to try to shoot stingers out of them. let me clarify that i'm talking about a semi auto. don't think they will work well in a bolt gun either but they will be a pain to try in a tight chamber semi auto. there are a couple of barrel makers who market a stinger chambered barrel. personally if i want to shoot hyper stuff i would just shoot Velositors.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or my .22wmr :-)

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 66 invisible), 2,033 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,880
Posts18,479,095
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.