Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Howdy all,

I'm building a deck in my small tin boat and I decided I'm going to go with aluminum and weld it. A friend loaned me a Millermatic 130XP wirefeed welder and I'm looking for how to set it up to weld aluminum.

does anyone have any experience with doing something like this? will this welder even work?

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've burned a few thousand pounds of wire welding aluminum.

Your best bet is getting a spool gun & the small spools but that is an expensive option for such a small project. You can still make that welder work but you'll need a tank of helium (best) or straight argon. A new liner and a handful of tips will be needed. You will also probably need knurled rollers depending on the length and configuration of the whip.

After all of that you will need to learn how to weld aluminum. It is nothing like steel. Unless you have experience I would recommend getting this small project hired out.

You could also stick it with an AC welder.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yes you can weld aluminum with that machine. That machine would not be my first choice, but then again, I reckon someone could dig a field drain with a table spoon if that's all they had to use. wwJd

There are some issues that may come up tho. Wire contamination, wire feed ability and wire transfer characteristics are just a few of several with aluminum wire.
If the machine hasn't been used for aluminum before a new nylon liner just for aluminum should be used. A size bigger diffuser tip can help with feeding too (cuts down on sticking in the tip due to heat related wire expansion that's characteristic of aluminum wire). Aluminum is soft and doesn't want to push feed for much distance. Knurled drive rollers will help grip the wire. Even then it has a tendency to bird nest between the machine drive rolls and wire guide for the liner on a strictly push feed set up. A hand held spool gun or push/pull set up is generally used for aluminum wire to avoid this.

Use only stainless wire brushes when prepping the aluminum to avoid contamination. Torch angle on the puddle in relation to travel needs to be adjusted with aluminum as opposed to carbon.
A Helium mix added to the argon can aid in better penetration with aluminum too. Preheating the material to be welded can help the process.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What he just said.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
i just learned something also.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Pay attention to what everyone else said about contamination.....than find a friend to lend you a TIG welder and TIG it! cool

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I really would NOT choose that particular system,.....
But,....If it's what has to be,listen to what's already been advised, and soldier on. The only additional advice I'd give would be to try and get the machine HIGHER than the work. That drive does not push aluminum wire well, and you're going to need all the help you can get.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
AMEN. Don't know if you have access to a TIG but that would definitely be best. Slow and easy with nice control. Aluminum welding with a spool gun or stick is controlled chaos that takes practice.

With a TIG and a little practice you could make a good looking bead on your boat. Just like stacking dimes.

The church is close, but the road is icey. The tavern is far, but I will walk carefully. -Russian Proverb
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
FWIW youth does well with new thigns.

A friend bought an airboat. Then a welder.

He had never welded AL before, but the first coupons I saw were not bad, and he welded a big grass rake etc...

Of course he isn't dumb, is a machinist by trade out of TSTC and researched.

If I had just a bit to do, I would never buy... but I've asked Cross and still have his advice and buying one on the list for my AL airboat.. I RUN mine.. it gets beat up on dry land etc...cracks need attention and so on.

That being said I have a small mule project and that kid is gonna weld it... not enough for me to buy/learn at this time.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Aluminum welding with a spool gun or stick is controlled chaos

Damn fine piece of technical writing, and 120% correct !

by the time you've got one of those spool guns dialed in and producing acceptable results your nerves are shot, and your sweating whether you have enough sanding discs around. eek

A screwy process for sure.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's been a few years now but I prefer welding aluminum to steel.
I welded cooling extrusions (pressure tested) as well as structural for a number of years at a large manufacturing plant.

You can do some really cool things with aluminum and it's a fast process to MIG weld.

The downside is the amount of smoke generated and how bright the arc is. Both are considerably worse than steel.

Ryan, have you thought of drilling holes and using rivets? Easy to work with and hand tools are all that's needed. Maybe an option....

I have an old friend right out of Sturgis that does metal fab. I can check with him if you need help in that area.

Do not feed the bear!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I guess I didn't read this good enough the first time.

Rivet that sucker!

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

by the time you've got one of those spool guns dialed in and producing acceptable results your nerves are shot, and your sweating whether you have enough sanding discs around. eek

A screwy process for sure.

GTC

It really is an art. Something that needs to be done on a regular basis to stay sharp.

If you do it inside consider ventilation concerns. If it's outside with a breeze, fold it up and go fishing.

The church is close, but the road is icey. The tavern is far, but I will walk carefully. -Russian Proverb
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or just ignore all this advice, watch a u tube video for a few minutes and carry on. grin

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by White_Bear
I've burned a few thousand pounds of wire welding aluminum.

Your best bet is getting a spool gun & the small spools but that is an expensive option for such a small project. You can still make that welder work but you'll need a tank of helium (best) or straight argon. A new liner and a handful of tips will be needed. You will also probably need knurled rollers depending on the length and configuration of the whip.

After all of that you will need to learn how to weld aluminum. It is nothing like steel. Unless you have experience I would recommend getting this small project hired out.

Yup, nailed it. If you think you'll poor boy it by using the existing liner in torch you'll just end up with a contaminated bead due to small flakes of the other wire that have been scraped off over time.

I've had a 130 for over 20 years and it's a great little welder for thin steel sheet metal. I've never set it up for aluminum because IMHO it'll be marginal for the task.

Aluminum requires more heat than steel so you're going to have to run the welder wide open and hopefully it has enough power. The thing with aluminum is prep is super critical and you're running the fine line between enough heat for proper penetration and burning through. You'll also need to run argon gas or an argon/helium mix. Assuming your buddy has been using the 130 for mild steel he's probably using 75/25 gas which will not work for aluminum. So unless his unit is set up for aluminum, expect to put some money into getting it set up and burning enough wire practicing to make a decent bead.

It's been years but I've burned a fair number of rods with a TIG torch on aluminum and done a little bit of MIG welding aluminum with a buddies 250 amp wire feed unit. If I was going to MIG aluminum I'd want a minimum of a 200 amp unit with a spool gun.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hell man you can braze Aluminum also

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I veered away from TIG capable after getting some books and figuring that the Miller books made TIG appear 20 times harder than anything else.

I think I"ll rethink that capability if i get that far... generic large enough Miller to cover it all..

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Ryan,
I replied to this in the chicken buck thread too. I think if I were you I would either look at outsourcing the welding to someone that has the equipment/experience or I would rivet it and call it day.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought aluminum was done DCRP?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GunGeek
I thought aluminum was done DCRP?

Oops. You are correct on DC. I had TIG welding on the brain. TIG uses AC with a high freq box.

Thanks for catching that. Hate to give out bad info on the net because if you read it on the interwebs, it must be true. smile

Do not feed the bear!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

444 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 260madman, 1minute, 48 invisible), 2,492 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,858
Posts18,478,546
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.