Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I mounted a set of leupold dual dovetail rings yesterday and I gotta tell ya those things ROCK!<P>For the price they are without question the best strongest mounts possible. I think I will swap out my Warnes and put them on my 30/06 mountain rifle. They cannot come loose or fail unless, ...... well there is no unless! they just can't have a problem. If you locktight the screws properly your never gonna have a problem with these rings or bases! I have used the standard rings many times but having both dove tailed is unreal!jj

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really like them too, I have a set on my VLS even though a .223 doesn't kick the scope weighs a ton(Burris Signature 6-24X50 AO w/ Target turrets)<P>Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
JJ has seen the light! Welcome to the world of great mounts for the money (or any price for that matter.) Put a set of Burris Singnature dovetail rings with the bushings on your Leupold Dovetail mounts and you'll solve any alignment problems as well. Big Stick turned me on to this set up and if there is a flaw, I can't find it.

Is it Friday yet?
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
No thanks JJ, I'll stick to my ugly old Weaver's. I don't need anything stronger than those. [img]images/icons/crazy.gif" border="0[/img]

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Since you happen to have a set of extra Warnes, I was wondering what kinda deal you would make a Bud on those sorry old beat up rings of yours? Want to trade for some "special" knives?? Very fun to play with at your desk !! (grin) You got to have over a million openings on those suckers by now !(LOL) <P>The last ones that were Uhhh... "bigger" ?? I had one jump out of a friends hand playing with it in the kitchen and I had to clean the cake batter off it aftrer it "jumped" into the bowl. (LOL)<P>Tex

------------------------------------------------

This post was filmed before a live studio audiance.
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
JJ. I have been using the Leoupold rings for years and Redfields before that. They just get the job done. My 45/70 Contenter doesn't shake them loose nothing will. <BR>A good alingment bar is a must when setting up these style of rings. I have seen some expensive scopes turned into junk by guys using the scope to twist the rings into posistion. Burris bases work with Leoupolds but can be a bit tight in the front dove tail so it is best to aling with a 1" dowel at least but best to use a 1" or proper diameter for 30mm tubes alingment bar.<P>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Tex, the rings and bases are sitting right here ready for the trade. The rings are in the nearly impossibe to find Siver finish as well! jj

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I totally agree, they are excellent mounts. One of the toughest set ups on the market. I agree with using the Burris rings. I also really like Warne mounts, even more than Talley.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
JJ !!!!!!!! I have a stainless 30-06 just crying for those babies !!! (grin) What are those sorry beaten up old rings worth ?? (big grin). hey I've seen pics of your guns. I can only imagine the hell those rings have been through?? You guns look like they may of been used a emergency boatt paddles at one time or another ?? Or maybe jackal whackers ??? (grin)<P>Let me know. We'll work it !!<P>Tex

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This set of seasoned and experienced rings with bases can be yours as soon as you would like them, or as soon as you have what I need! I will clean the red DNA off of them before I send them to you, promise. <P>There is a reason I have stainless steel and synthetic guns. They are tools for me not beauty contest contestants! Although it has been suggested that I clean the dried blood out of the checkering because, according to the airline lady........."That's disgusting"<P>jj

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
JJ: I missed the show this weekend due to family commitments. I'll see when the next one is. Either next weekend or the one after.<P>"Seasoned" rings huh?? You silver tongued rascal you could of been a consultant !! <P>I'll be scanning for the knives. Ship the rings to Pat. I think he's holding your 22 hostage at this point ? (grin) Maybe the rings would help shake it loose ?? DON'T HIT ME !!! I WAS JUST KIDDING !!!!!!<P>Tex

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
JJ: If its any consolation my 30-06 up there says that your 22 LOOKS GOOD !! (LOL)<P>Maybe together we could work out a peace treaty with Pat and have both our hostages released. (BOSEG)<P>Give me a shout at home. I'm cleaning house this morning. Fried a sh*tload of veggies and fish last night and man does the house stink this morning. What a mess.<P>Tex

D
D
Been using these Leupold dual dovetails on my hog rifles, with nothing but success. I've found if you clean the inside of the rings with acetone or alcohol, then put a thin film of blue Loctite in there before you mount the scope - that scope will not move! I've got a big heavy steel tubed Swarovski on a .340 Wby with HOT loaded 250 grain Noslers, and have had no point of impact change in over 300 rounds fired from bench and field positions.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Talleys Rings and bases are stronger than any on todays market, but its a moot question inasmuch as the Scope is the Weakest Link..... [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img]

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ray, I strongly dissagree. Tallys and warnes are nearly identical in function, both are copies of the original Kimber design as told to me by The techs at Kimber! I also have a set of Kimber rings which have an identical fit and function to the other two brands mentioned. <P>However the Dual Dovetail rings are by a margin less complicated and with the dual twist in system far fewer screws and parts to have trouble with. No,... I think that the Leupold DD rings and bases are very difficult to fault. The bases and rings are nearly a molecular bond when assembled! <P>I have and used the Kimber and Warne rings and have seen lots of the tallys on big guns too. I have no problem with any of them, but from a simplistic assembley to the pure durability the DD rings ROCK! Not to mention that your scope can be mounted much closer to the rifle with them then you can with the Tally, Kimber, or Warne rings. Unless your using a large Obj scope.jj

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't know how they compare with other ring and bases combinations, however, I've had EXCELLENT service from the ones I've used. Bought a pair for my first centerfire rifle and have used them on everything else since, that is except for my Kimbers and my Winchester Classic s/s .375 H&H. <P> The dual dovetails have always reminded me of the best of American design. Strong, simple, and reasonably priced. The antithesis of the Teutonic Claw System. Short of shearing a screw(s) off there is nothing to wrong. I've had numerous older hunters/shooters tell me I should've used a standard Redfield type with its windage adjustable rear, however, they always strike me as ugly and unreliable to boot. <P> I've had one pair of my dual dovetail bases opened for countersunk 8-40s and had the reciever scope holes opened up to the same. Riflesmith said its about as solid a system as your going to find. Will likely have the others modified for the larger screws as they cycle through for work.<P> I am such a big fan of the Dual Dovetails I contacted Leupold about making a set of dual dovetail bases for the Winchester Express Action with .330" rear screw spacing. Garth Kendig said the idea is on the table and if he gets his way they will be made. We shall see. <P> Short of having a backup scope in QD rings they seem to be nearly perfect. IMHO FWIW. <P>Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with JJHACK, I really do not see what the Talley's have on the Warnes?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Matt, a better way in my mind, is to have the rear bridge on the M70 drilled and tapped for the standard rear base. While you're at it you can have the front and rear (receiver bridge and bases) drilled to accept the 8-40, which means a good gunsmith can properly align the receiver holes while he's doing it. The rear base will hide the extra holes in the rear bridge. Also, and very important to me, is that the rear ring now goes between the base screws, instead of in front of it. That offers the bonus of a wider ring spacing for better scope tube support. A much more secure arrangement in my opinion! Use a bit of glass-bed epoxy on the bases, and the rings are on there for the duration! That's exactly what I did with my M70 classic stainless 300 Wby, although I used QR bases and rings. That way I've got a back-up scope sighted in and ready to go. I can't imagine a better system. Theoretically better with Talleys, maybe. Better in the real world, no.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rick, <BR> Interesting idea. Will have to kick that one around with my riflesmith. Though there is something to be said for Talleys, Warnes, or Leupold QRWs and a backup scope. Thanks for the idea. <BR>Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 163bc, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 2,540 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,918
Posts18,498,417
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.