OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Anybody using one of these?

Thoughts?

Last edited by 338rcm; 05/17/15.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The MINOX name with the huge bright white lettering is distracting.

I returned it and got another Leupold.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 2 ZA-5's and a ZA-3. I like them all. Clear and sharp from edge to edge. The 5's a better in the low-light situations to my eyes.
I'm getting another one for a new rifle I just picked up. I'll be trying out the HD version this time. Check out Doug's 'Deal of the Day' he's got some great deals on some models of Minox @ Cameraland.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
G
G
I'm interested in the reports on these as well. I'm trying to decide between this and a vortex diamondback for roughly the same money.

from what I can tell, the other minox lines are great, but the VZ's are more mixed in reviews. I hear great eyebox, I hear tiny eyebox. I hear great glass, I hear they fall apart. I don't know.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought this exact scope as a demo from Cameraland. I would say at best its a mediocre scope. The glass seems okay... clear, and reasonably bright. However there is quite a bit of distortion around the edges. Its really not noticeable when you view things at distance(beyond 35-50 yards), but up close its strong. Some folks refer to this type of distortion as "rolling ball".
The adjustment clicks are mushy, but not terrible. I would say they remind me of the Redfield Revolutions I have owned. They are accurate though, and seem to track well.
The magnification adjustment is unremarkable. Nothing to say about it really. Its works. Its not tight. Its not loose.
The eyebox is odd to me. At the low end of magnification its pretty fair, but when you crank the magnification up it gets very sensitive to head-eye position. More so than other scopes I have used in this magnification range.

It seems like the scope is built okay, and has held up fine so far. Though its only on a 7mm-08 so its not really taking a beating with recoil.

I paid like $179 for it as a demo, and I feel alright with that. I would NOT pay more for it. I don't know that I would buy it again, but I don't regret buying it. If that makes any sense...

Last edited by THOMASMAGNUM; 05/20/15.
IC B2

G
G
it does, I have a sightron s1 that I am getting rid of that I feel a similar way about. it's not bad, but my mueller apv out resolves it,

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Savage 99, I don't think you have ever said anything positive in any thread that I can remember. Your act gets very old.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
ZAs = great. ZVs, not so much.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just bought a ZV 3-9 at a ridiculously low price. If it wasn't Chinese I would buy several more. Haven't mounted it yet but just a casual look and it seems better optically than the older Leupold Vx-2s and comes close to the Conquest and not that far from a Swaro Z3 which some of the components come from the same factory in Wetzler Germany.

The rolling ball condition seems to be more prevalent with all the scopes that have more than a 3x magnification range or higher than 10x magnification.

I am really tempted to buy more of these but my Leupy dedication is holding me back. My only concern is the durability factor which only time will tell.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

342 members (160user, 1lesfox, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1badf350, 35 invisible), 1,963 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,659
Posts18,512,792
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.