Hop To
Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by BarHunter
It wouldn't seem like a hunt if I didn't have to sharpen my Buck during skinning/quartering.

It's part of the whole hunting experience. smile

It ain't gonna win any points with knife snobs but Buck does a very nice job with their 440. If you can't get through a deer or a big mess of fish without your Buck knife going dull chances are it is your "honing skills" that are the problem and not the knife. Likely, your honing is creating and leaving a wire edge or burr that is snapping off which is costing you the performance of your knife. If you get a "better" knife, and use the same technique to sharpen it, you won't get all out of that one that you could either.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by RJY66
It wouldn't seem like a hunt if I didn't have to sharpen my Buck during skinning/quartering.

It ain't gonna win any points with knife snobs but Buck does a very nice job with their 440. If you can't get through a deer or a big mess of fish without your Buck knife going dull chances are it is your "honing skills" that are the problem and not the knife. Likely, your honing is creating and leaving a wire edge or burr that is snapping off which is costing you the performance of your knife. If you get a "better" knife, and use the same technique to sharpen it, you won't get all out of that one that you could either.

You're assuming i'm starting with a freshly sharpened knife. I like to sharpen in the field at the kill, so I might already have two animals skinned out when I sharpen it. I know how to sharpen a knife. Been doing it for 60 years.

btw My Buck 110 is a 4 dot 1981 425M steel.

Last edited by BarHunter; 05/20/15.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by RJY66

You're assuming i'm starting with a freshly sharpened knife.

Sure was! I thought you were jumping on the Buck knives are "useless" and have to be sharpened constantly bandwagon. They only do if you don't do it right.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Not at all. I love Buck knives. I enjoy my ritual, and love sharpening at the kill. It reminds me of when I hunted with my dad.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
S30V holds a great edge, but it's hard to sharpen when you lose it.

Best to keep an edge and not wait till it's lost. I don't fill up my truck when it's on E either.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Am I the only one that finds the gut hook on par with short mags?
IOW,,, a trendy solution to a problem that didn't exist... shocked Running eek

Originally Posted by southtexas
I used to feel the same way, til I tried one.

Me too! The KOA I pictured above has been an awesome gut zipper. Have never had any trouble with it.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead
S30V holds a great edge, but it's hard to sharpen when you lose it.

Best to keep an edge and not wait till it's lost. I don't fill up my truck when it's on E either.

I do. That's when it needs gas.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most recently I used this knife my KA Swearingen:

(sorry, don't have a close up photo of it)

[Linked Image]

5160H edge tempered. I have cleaned two deer with it and it still shaves. Needs oil, of course, but it's still very fine.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Nice knife, but tell us about the gun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shiloh Sharps #1 Sporter, in .45-90 smile

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you can't get through a deer or a big mess of fish without your Buck knife going dull chances are it is your "honing skills" that are the problem and not the knife.

Absolutely true.

He just needs to learn how to sharpen a knife.

To prove it.....just send it back to Buck for sharpening.

When you get it back you'll be so happy to have an actual SHARP knife.

grin

The Tea Party Movement is pretty much the same as a bowel movement except that it smells worse and has far less in the way of intelligent content.
--DancesWithGuns
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by DancesWithGuns
If you can't get through a deer or a big mess of fish without your Buck knife going dull chances are it is your "honing skills" that are the problem and not the knife.

Absolutely true.

He just needs to learn how to sharpen a knife.

To prove it.....just send it back to Buck for sharpening.

When you get it back you'll be so happy to have an actual SHARP knife.

grin

Good grief! Read my response to that post. I can sharpen a knife as well as anybody.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Then why aren't your knives sharp?

As I suggested previously.....send one in to Buck for a proper sharpening and see how long it STAYS sharp once truly sharpened.

Last edited by DancesWithGuns; 05/21/15.

The Tea Party Movement is pretty much the same as a bowel movement except that it smells worse and has far less in the way of intelligent content.
--DancesWithGuns
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by DancesWithGuns
Then why aren't your knives sharp?

As I suggested previously.....send one in to Buck for a proper sharpening and see how long it STAYS sharp once truly sharpened.

Ok, i'll explain again. I'm sort of old school, and have done things the same for many decades. Instead of starting a hunt with a sharp knife. I just sharpen it when it starts to get a little dull. I've done this since I was a kid, and got used to sharpening my knives in the field. As I mentioned earlier it's a bit of a ritual with me. It's how my dad did it, and I just copied everything he did. As kids will do.
So, I always have a couple of stones with me to touch up an edge. I may have an elk and muley on the knife before I touch it up. Maybe more, maybe less. If I would start off a hunt with a freshly sharpened knife I wouldn't have to sharpen it in the field at all.

Like I said at the start of all this. I like the ritual of sharpening my knives at the kill. Strange for some, but normal for me. It puts a smile on my face, because it always brings back good memories of past hunts. Especially, with my dad who has long passed away.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That's fine.

We all need our traditions and that's healthy.

smile

--DancesWithGuns
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Dances with Wolves was a great movie i've watched 5 times. Your name reminds of it everytime I see it.

Pretty cool name.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
The good thing about a Buck knife is it allows a man to really hone his honing skills.

Ain't that the damn truth.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
True, but they're cheap, and made in the US. That has to count for something?
Plus,....Buck is a cool name.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
SOUL has zero to do with using a knife. But if you want to thats cool.

I"m just utilitarian and use what works best for me.

I"ve seen all kinds of blades snapped over years of guiding, by idiots. YOu can even snap these blades if you don't pay attention. I did 2 weeks ago in a hurry. Hadn't done that in a long time.

BUT if my little wimpy assed Havalon can take a moose all the way down to skinned, gutted, quartered, deboned, caped, etc with no help... its more than enough for me. Cheap enough.

And while you are sharpening I"m further down the road.

Pretty much sums it up. There's a reason hundreds of elk guides use Havalon knives. I saw a guide at a show two years ago who had two Havalons on his table. I asked him what he thought of them, and he said the previous season he wanted to see how far he could go with one blade. He skinned one bison and X elk on one blade. If I told you the number it would strain credulity. He did use a steel to keep the edge up, but it was a pretty impressive feat, nonetheless.

Besides that, think about a guide's priorities. He wants something that works, not something that has "soul" (whatever that is). He wants to take weight off because he's walking miles in rough country with a load of meat on his back. So rather than take two or three knives with "soul," plus tools to resharpen them, he takes a Havalon with a few extra blades. Saves time. Saves energy. Saves money.

When his clients saw him using the Havalon, they all wanted one, so he became a dealer and buys enough to resell to clients. The two he had on his table were what he had left from the previous season.

I carry a Havalon every day. And by the way, the blades are not made in China. They are surgical scalpels, and they are made in India, the same place where the blades are made that your doctor uses to operate on your gut. If that makes a difference to you, I suppose you could ask your doctor to use an American-made knife with soul. Good luck with that.

A couple of incidental facts:
1. I know several doctors who hunt, and all of them use surgical scalpels for field dressing and skinning. So do all the taxidermists I know. They just want something that works.
2. A few other companies have capitalized on the Havalon idea, and are trying to compete against them. But Havalon's parent company, Havels, is a medical supply company and the blade Havalon uses is proprietary. It's better than the standard scalpel blades others use. It's more resistant to breaking and more user-friendly. (The pictured Havalon knife earlier in this thread is not wearing the Havalon proprietary blade.)

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Found a photo of the Swearingen:

[Linked Image]

As far as the Havalons, I watched a guy break one cleaning a small whitetail. He was only cutting meat, no abuse, and he was lucky he realized the blade had broken, before it cut him.

Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (219DW, 222Sako, 1badf350, 21, 10gaugemag, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,177 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,764
Posts18,476,680
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.