Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Any idea what pressures those loads are running?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
460 Rowland conversions are running 38 kcup

My loads are more like 25kpsi.
And that is as hot as I want to consistently run when I see 0.065" thick chamber walls in a 45.

A Ruger Blackhawk 45LC is 0.071" and I will run 25kpsi in those all day long.

I have blown up enough revolvers to know where the weak spots are and how much safety margin I want away from that.

25-2 revolvers are expensive, so I have worked up the powerful loads with lots of safety margin. The longer OAL gets the high velocity without the high peak pressure.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Yep, just like that.

Here's mine in the Big Horn mountains of Wyoming on an Elk hunt....

[Linked Image]

Only 2,000 were made. I know of two that were destroyed, and ET and I have one each, so that only leaves 1,996 left available in the world....maybe! wink

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
There was a Model 25-7 in .45 Colt. They fixed the cylinder throat issue. Fairly rare pistol, though, and may cost over a grand...

I have two. I know where another is.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Reloder28
There was a Model 25-7 in .45 Colt. They fixed the cylinder throat issue. Fairly rare pistol, though, and may cost over a grand...

I have two. I know where another is.

Hoarder........... grin

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hoarding guns means you have succeeded in life.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Shoot that 25-7 RL-28 was talking about today. I have to admit I'm impressed. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My son has one and won't part with it... Best shootn wheel gun I ever shot..

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
What's not to like about the 25-7?

It has an un-fluted cylinder, which I prefer for the aesthetics of it. It has a 5" barrel, which many folks feel is about the perfect length for an N frame revolver.
Last but not least, it is chambered in .45 Colt which will take any critter on this continent with appropriate loads. They are accurate with good tolerances as well. grin

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by frogman43
What's not to like about the 25-7?

It has an un-fluted cylinder, which I prefer for the aesthetics of it. It has a 5" barrel, which many folks feel is about the perfect length for an N frame revolver.
Last but not least, it is chambered in .45 Colt which will take any critter on this continent with appropriate loads. They are accurate with good tolerances as well. grin

I agree fully.

Article excerpt from John Linebaugh:

"S&W also made a few model 25-7s. This was a 5" gun with a non-fluted cylinder. For a hunting gun this model is tops. All were marked model of 1989 on the barrel with white etching and came with Hogue monogrips. I would change these for some nice wood or ivory micarta. The front sight may be a bit short for heavy bullet loads but the gun has the minimum dimension chambers and is a top performer.

I've shot two or three of them here with the 310gr Keith slug (old NEI mould) and 23.5 gr of H-110 for a full, honest 1,200 fps..(THIS IS A MAXIMUM LOAD). All guns printed this load in the 1-1/2" range at 25 yards off sandbags.

I know for a fact this load will go through elk like cheese at long range. I don't mean to be beating a dead horse but velocity does not buy us power. Instead it buys us trajectory and range. At handgun ranges I'm not sure we need an abundance of either. I load to 1,200 fps for a good all around speed in my sixguns. If I need more power I go to a bigger slug or caliber.

Most of the new 25-7's that I have inspected and shot here not only had minimum chambers but many had tight chamber throats. The common diameter was near .451 and none exceeded .452. This is plenty tight. Always remember that tight cylinder throats build unnecessary pressure. We polished all throats so the bullets we used would push through with minimum resistance.

Like Elmer said in his fine book Sixguns, all bullets should pass through the cylinder throats with just slight finger pressure. Overall the Smith & Wesson Model 25-7's are fine revolvers that offer plenty of punch for most situations normal folks will find themselves in. They shot bullets a little bigger and a little heavier than the .44 magnum at the same speeds from equal barrel lengths.

The difference in chamber pressure makes up for the difference in mechanical strength in the guns. The .45 just isn't quite as strong mechanically as the .44 magnum in the cylinder, but in turn the .45 does any equal amount of work with less pressure. It all balances out.

To date my oldest and most used S&W .45 Colt has probably taken 5,000 plus loads. Half of these have been 24.0 gr H-110 with the 260 Keith. Doesn't sound like I shoot it a lot huh! Well, I shoot a lot of other stuff daily on the side, and I figure this old Smith gets carried about 200 miles per shot. It's packable, practical and powerful, and that's what Old School sixguns are all about."

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mine is a 25-5. Started life as a .45 Colt, but I had my gunsmith make an additional cylinder for it in .45 ACP. Best of both worlds. Very accurate with either cylinder.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Did you have that thing round-butted Sam?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
yes I did. I also had the blue revolver hard choromed. I added Tritium night sights as well. All the internals were new, and it is one helluva shooter.
A more recent shot.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Mannlicher; 03/23/15.

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One helluva nice looking gun, Sam.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
By the way. After hearing a lot of good advise and shooting a 25-7, I found a 25-9. It is almost the same as the 7. I'm in the load development stage right now. Thanks for all the help.

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
WFR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by whelennut
625-3 does not suck.

625-5 does not suck either. grin

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
yes I did. I also had the blue revolver hard choromed. I added Tritium night sights as well. All the internals were new, and it is one helluva shooter.
A more recent shot.
[Linked Image]

Who's grips so that I know to avoid them like the plague. Are they that far up on the north end?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi
I don't know much about the Model 25-2's But I have a Pre-25 that shoots Pretty Good at the 25 Yard Range as shown. Regards, The General

[Linked Image]

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Been wondering if you were still kickin' General.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EvilTwin

grinLike this??
[Linked Image]

yes, like that, damn it grin

well, I have one on the way. smile

It wasn't stupidly expensive, either smile I have a holster to fit full-lug 5" N frames. Need to round one up to fit this one...and also fit my 5" 5-screw .357

Since I have a couple of Ruger .45 Colts, I'll need to figure out how to not shoot the "Ruger-only" loads in it. It's fairly easy to find the Speer 230gr Gold Dots that are intended for the .45 ACP. I might be curious to try them in the 25-7, and seeing the jacketed bullet should make it obvious it's intended for the S&W.

It was also real interesting reading Linebaugh's comments about the strength of the 25-7. Don't plan to load 260's at 1200 fps but that's a greater strength level than I have heard elsewhere.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

163 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 30Gibbs, 264mag, 25 invisible), 1,735 guests, and 1,061 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,368
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.