Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
obie458 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
My girlfriend is looking to buy her first hunting rifle. She's 4'10" and 100lbs so a full sized stock is to big for her. She is currently shooting a barrowed marlin 336 chambered in 30-30 with a youth shock and a 20" barrel. We've been shooting the Remington factory 150gr load and she's handling the recoil well.
We looked into buying a new 336 but the gun shop owner said that more than a few of the newer marlins that have come through his store have had quality and accuracy issues. He suggested finding an older one if that's what she really wanted but he really recommended looking into the Ruger American compact. Well we took a look at the compact and I thought it looked and felt like a nice rifle for the price and my girlfriend thought that it fit her great.
She'll be hunting mostly whitetail and black bear. I know the .243 has probably killed plenty of bears but I would feel better about her using something a little bigger and the next step up in the American is the 7mm-08. I've never fired a 7mm-08 so I have a few questions. The ruger American compact has an 18" barrel and weighs only 6lbs without scope. Where she hunts shots rarely exceed 100 yards so the loss of some velocity with the 18" barrel isn't a big concern but I've been told that the muzzle blast could be severe. Also what would recoil be like in a 7mm-08 rifle that is only 6lbs? What do you think of the RA compact chambered in 7mm-08?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Since they have been discontinued, you might get a better deal on a Marlin XS7 in 7mm-08 or 308. Palmetto State Armory has the XS7 in 24 on sale for $250 and most Savage 110 series barrels are a screw-in fit.

www.palmettostatearmory.com

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have the same rifle in .308, with the short stock and 150gr loads the recoil was fairly mild. Mine shoots well under an inch at 100yd with cheap Winchester factory ammo.
My friends boys shoot over 200 rounds of cast bullets, while theses are lighter loads they are only 9 and 11.
If you don't load ,see if you can find some reduced recoil factory loads . If not perhaps pad her jacket with a folded towel.
Rifle fit is the number 1 issue . Ensure she has great ear protection so the muzzle blast isn't the issue.

Flyer

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You are correct to be concerned about muzzle blast.

It's pretty hellacious in that 18 inch barrel and the recoil will exceed that of the Marlin 30-30 as well.

Get her a 22 inch barrel. She'll be more comfortable and shoot better, too, because the rifle will balance better.

I've heard a lot of good about the inexpensive Marlin XS7 models if you can't make the Ruger American work.

For your type of hunting the 30-30 is excellent and I hear Marlin has gotten their 336 quality control issues under control......look at some new ones. They look pretty good, and that gives you another good option. If she's used to the lever action and likes it.....why change?

Last edited by DancesWithGuns; 05/25/15.

The Tea Party Movement is pretty much the same as a bowel movement except that it smells worse and has far less in the way of intelligent content.
--DancesWithGuns
O
obie458 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
I do reload so I can make reduced loads. I was just curious what full power loads would feel like.
I have a friend that has an sx7 and honestly the ruger feels like a better gun to me but than again I haven't shot the ruger American so I really can't fairly compair the two.
What do you think about getting a standard american with a 22" barrel and putting a compact stock on it?

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That would be an excellent solution.

The Tea Party Movement is pretty much the same as a bowel movement except that it smells worse and has far less in the way of intelligent content.
--DancesWithGuns
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 7-08 is great, but for what she is doing, I'd consider a Ruger American Compact in 308 with the option of shooting the factory available reduced recoil loads.

There's not much muzzle blast from a 18" 308 with full power loads, and with the Reduced Recoil loads, it will have less recoil than a 30-30 with 4x the range.

In 308, there is insignificant velocity loss in an 18" barrel...plus the barrels they come with generally shoot well.

So while still being light and handy like the Marlin it's a big step up in capability and a good rifle choice.

So would be a Montana, but at 3x the price.

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There's not much muzzle blast from a 18" 308 with full power loads, and with the Reduced Recoil loads, it will have less recoil than a 30-30 with 4x the range.

First of all, the muzzle blast is hellacious, as I said.

Second of all, if you can get less recoil and four times the range of a 30-30 out of a reduced .308 load you have somehow created a whole new science of ballistics and basic Physics.

--DancesWithGuns
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well for what its worth. My Daughter has a Tikka 7 mag and a Tika hunter in 308 with a cut down stock and a Limbsaver recoil pad with Edwards recoil reducers. You don't even know it is going off. She uses the 7 mag for Elk and Mulies and the 308 for pigs. To make a long story short, she shot my Left hand Ruger Hawkeye in 7mm-08 and decided she wanted to try a 7-08. She got a Tikka compact in that caliber, put a Leupold variable on it with DNZ mounts. It literally shoots a MOA with everything you put in it. I asked her what was her favorite rifle and she said the 7-08. They cost a bit more than the American but I think the cost is worth it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Tikkas are indeed one of the best rifles available for the money, maybe THE best at this time.

Oh, it's gonna have a 22 inch barrel, too.

Last edited by DancesWithGuns; 05/25/15.

--DancesWithGuns
IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Comparisons of recoil from males will result in poor and/or misguided information. I have taught dozens of women from children to grandmothers and rest assurd in identical setups of guns/scopes, none favored a 7-08 above a 243. Nor for that matter a 260, 308, 270 or any other "low recoiling" cartridge. The only chambering that they picked more is the 223.

While for most adult males the difference in recoil between a 95gr bullet from a 243 and a 120/130/140gr from a 7-08 may go unnoticed, to children and women it does not. And in truth everyone will notice the difference after a full day of of practice with 100-200 rounds.

Killing is easy yet so many seek to make it difficult. A 243 with 95gr Nosler BallisticTips put into the chest will turf every deer that walks and in spectacular fashion. Killing "power" is about hitting and hitting with a rifle is all about proper practice which is directly correlated to round count. More primers will be popped with a 243 than with a 7-08 and the body count follows the same.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
My 308 Rem 600 has outstanding muzzle blast and recoil. By adding a recoil pad and loading down about 2 grains, I get a system that is decently pleasant to shoot. I get about 2660 FPS with a 150 grain pill, and that will maintain the 2100 FPS necessary to open a standard cup and core bullet out to 250 yards. For bullets that will open at 1800 FPS, the range is more like 350-400 yards.

A 30-30 loaded with a 160 grain FTX bullet and Leverevolution powder will get you 2400 FPS, and quite a bit more range than the old school flat points.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DancesWithGuns

Second of all, if you can get less recoil and four times the range of a 30-30 out of a reduced .308 load you have somehow created a whole new science of ballistics and basic Physics.

If you actually shoot them both it will make more sense...

I have several 18" 308 carbines and never really notice the muzzle blast, but if it seems excessive to you, that's likely a difference in individual perceptions...it doesn't bother me, and my 94 seems to kick harder from the bench than my 308s with full power loads, but both are relatively mild.

The 308 benefits muchly from the greatly improved BC of pointy bullets vs roundnose bullets...that's just basic aerodynamics...

But when I need to make shots at distance, in actual use not on paper, and if I need to hit something on the ranch that's wary and way out there, I can shoot any of my bolt action rifles and consistently make shots I wouldn't even try with a 30-30 lever.

They are two completely different platforms...there's really no comparison. Even when loaded with spitzer bullets, a lever 30-30 is still a far ways from being the equal of a similar size 308 carbine.

The 7-08 is always a good choice, but might have to be loaded down. A standard Creedmore is a high performer with mild recoil. A 243 is a real work horse with the right bullet, and low recoil even with full power loads.

Actually, any of the rounds they chamber in the RAR will be fine and still be more capable, even with reduced loads, than the 30-30.

A RAR is a decent working tool for the least money, so if she likes the rifle, pick one and load it down the way she likes it.

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My daughter isn't much bigger. She tried a Remington Mountain rifle in 280 Remington. It was too much recoil for her. We ended up getting a Ruger American in 243.

It's not that Liberals are unwilling to listen to another point of view, they are just simply amazed that another one exists.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My 5ft. tall wife shoots a Model Seven in 7mm-08 in an 18.5" barrel with no problem. It's about the same size and weight as a Ruger Compact.

My daughter borrowed it and punched three Nosler Partitions through an elk at 180 yards. No complaints about the lethality either.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by DancesWithGuns

I've no doubt it is HELLACIOUS for you.

For most others you'll be fine, don't load max loads of the slowest powder you can find.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

A friend bought an American Compact in 7-08 for his young son and daughter to deer hunt with. He shoots 120gr Federal Fusions from it and accuracy is excellent, recoil is very manageable, muzzle blast is no worse than any other high powered rifle and it points and handles great.

After sighting it in he is now looking for one for his young son and daughter to hunt with since he claimed the 1st one. smile

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
O
obie458 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Comparisons of recoil from males will result in poor and/or misguided information. I have taught dozens of women from children to grandmothers and rest assurd in identical setups of guns/scopes, none favored a 7-08 above a 243. Nor for that matter a 260, 308, 270 or any other "low recoiling" cartridge. The only chambering that they picked more is the 223.

While for most adult males the difference in recoil between a 95gr bullet from a 243 and a 120/130/140gr from a 7-08 may go unnoticed, to children and women it does not. And in truth everyone will notice the difference after a full day of of practice with 100-200 rounds.

Killing is easy yet so many seek to make it difficult. A 243 with 95gr Nosler BallisticTips put into the chest will turf every deer that walks and in spectacular fashion. Killing "power" is about hitting and hitting with a rifle is all about proper practice which is directly correlated to round count. More primers will be popped with a 243 than with a 7-08 and the body count follows the same.

I've never hunted with a .243 but I know plenty who do and swear by then. My concern with the .243 is with bear hunting. The bears around here can get quite large. Although most bears that are taken go around 200lb or so its not uncommon to see one that is well over 300 and every season someone shoots one close to or even over 500lbs. I know that shot placement is king but will a well placed .234 be reliable on a large bear? Thanks, I appreciate your advice.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Where do you live that has bears that large?

Since your GF shoots a Marlin 336, she might do well with a Marlin 336 SC (Sporting Carbine) in 35 Remington. If you reload, you could use 180 grain Speer FPs for deer and 220 grain FPs for anything needing greater penetration.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I went through 4 rifles in .243 before finding one my girl would shoot consistently. It was never a 'recoil' issue...... rather a stock fit/muzzle blast/cheek weld issue. Buy a rifle that sets-up well for her, not you, and buy it in a caliber she can shoot enough to learn to shoot it well. In the end,my girl got a .260 CTR...

I'd rather have a .243/95 through both lungs of a bear..... than a .33 ÜBERsaurus in the ass...... unless Hack is around with 2-miles of steel cable.

Last edited by Dogshooter; 05/26/15.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (204guy, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 222ND, 61 invisible), 2,647 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,588
Posts18,473,420
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.