Page 11 of 26 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 25 26
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Originally Posted by Joshua_M_Smith
I'll just leave this here...

Brian Ward posted at ArcheryTalk on May 23, 2015:

I went back at looked at my notes, my final loads for my hunt were 85 grains of H-1000.

It is over the published data of 83 from Hodgdon Data Manual.

I worked up from 10% below max and worked up the final load in half grain increments looking for accuracy (also potency) since I was hunting for moose in Alaska with Griz running around. There were no pressure signs in the cases compared to the 83 gr load (no blown primers, splits, cracks etc.). I even had two other experienced reloaders look at the cases.

Also, since this was a single shot, I was not seating the bullet as deep, allowing for more case capacity… but I was not engaging the rifling. My loads did not exceed SAAMI PSI for the 300 win mag. They were at max but not over.

Sigh...

I have no experience with the .300 Win Mag, folks. What would a 2 grain overcharge do?

(Looking at current loads for the H1000 published by Hodgdon, the max loads for the 180 grain NOS E-TIP and the 180 grain SPR MT-SP are 79.4 grains compressed and 81.0 grains compressed, respectively.)

Looks like there was an extra .45acp charge of powder in there.

I'm still interested in knowing what parts failed.

Interesting,..straight from Hogdgon's website..

[Linked Image]

He's probably going to sue the Brass manufacturer next because they should have known he could make an Over-Pressure load and didn't size the brass accordingly...

Nosler e-tips usually max out about midway between start and max loads for standard bullets, they have a warning on the website and the manuals that the pressure curve is different on the e-tips and be uber careful to start at the minimum. 79 grains of H1000 was probably close max saami pressure, and who really knows how much powder was in that case that blew up. My guess is the OP used the the "load it up until the primer blows, than back it off a bit" method of load development. His load as he stated it was probably 5-6 grains above max saami pressure for the 300 WM. My guess is the load was well above what he admits too.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
For those who are just joining this thread, read the first 5 pages and skip to page 18-19. If you end up reading everything like I did you'll wishing you read my post.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
No dog in this fight, but there is a reason you don't see most of us toting around TC Encores.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I have an Encore, used for special MZ seasons for long range stuff.....

Never had an issue with it but then I know how to load things too.....

But back to the I'm hunting moose where Grizz are... um we hunted how many years with a 30-30 and or MZ rifle, and a pistol for backup. Moved up to a 338-06 last fall just to try something new, but will be carrying the MZ again when I can get it to shoot like I want it to.

Grizz issues will get you if you are scared. But have a firearm, and a GOOD head, and you'll likely be just fine.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Those extra 5 or 6 grains of powder could be the difference between you getting eaten by a bear or blowing your own face off with your rifle.

IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by heavywalker
Those extra 5 or 6 grains of powder could be the difference between you getting eaten by a bear or blowing your own face off with your rifle.

It’s kind funny when there are statements like this. “His load as he stated it was probably 5-6 grains above max saami pressure for the 300 WM.” Wow! Kind of apples and oranges there bud.

I’m not recommending anyone exceed limits with their loads. As stated above 26th edition Hodgdon Data Manual states 83. I very judiciously worked up to 85. A lot of other factors can be weighted. That is why I stated my procedure above. I’m not hiding this at all, I very openly and willing gave this to T/C Arms, the jury, and this forum.

H-1000 is one of the slowest burning powders around; which makes a 2 grain increase not much of a pressure rise.
Hand loaders can archive more constant accuracy, and pressures over factory loads. Factory loads on a hot day in the SW US or Africa can have pressure spikes well above my loads.

My loads were within SAAMI service maximum avg. pressure limits.

You can disregard everything I say but PLEASE if anyone has this gun or knows someone with one out of morbid curiosity check the headspace or have a gun smith check the headspace. I don’t know if there is much more I can add here.

Last edited by Brian_Ward; 05/27/15.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Brian_Ward

It’s kind funny when there are statements like this. “His load as he stated it was probably 5-6 grains above max saami pressure for the 300 WM.” Wow! Kind of apples and oranges there bud.

I’m not recommending anyone exceed limits with their loads. As stated above 26th edition Hodgdon Data Manual states 83. I very judiciously worked up to 85. A lot of other factors can be weighted. That is why I stated my procedure above. I’m not hiding this at all, I very openly and willing gave this to T/C Arms, the jury, and this forum.

H-1000 is one of the slowest burning powders around; which makes a 2 grain increase not much of a pressure rise.
Hand loaders can archive more constant accuracy, and pressures over factory loads. Factory loads on a hot day in the SW US or Africa can have pressure spikes well above my loads.

You can disregard everything I say but PLEASE if anyone has this gun or knows someone with one out of morbid curiosity check the headspace or have a gun smith check the headspace. I don’t know if there is much more I can add here.

Can you actually answer the questions that have been asked multiple times about what actually happened to the gun? My own Encore .300 WM had excessive headspace, but my gun didn't explode. Is the action still in one piece? Were the locking lugs intact, etc? All of these things would have been brought up in court if they applied and even though you stated haven't handled your gun since the incident it would have likely been present in court so you could at least tell us what was broken, what wasn't, etc.

Also, are you sure H1000 burns at the same rate once it's compressed heavily? Lots of powders don't so what are you basing your assumption on? Using visual pressure signs for max loads is always a bad idea which is why you were found partially at fault as many reloading guides now include pictures showing exactly that-no visible signs of grossly overpressure loads...

I have multiple Encores and would like to legitimately know what happened to your gun, not just that you think the design is bad as clearly several of us have had similar headspace issues that didn't result in catastrophic failure and the only legitimate difference thus far seems to be your use of max/over pressure loads...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Hodgdon lists 79.4 grains as the maximum load under a 180 grain Nosler E-tip. That is verified on their Reloading Data site as of 45 seconds ago, and it is listed as a compressed load at 3.340" COAL and 62,400 PSI. You have stated that your load was at 85 grains. Not only is that more than 5 grains over book maximum, it is also a severely compressed load.

You've been asked, time and again, who your firearms expert was and what laboratory he used for the pressure testing. That is information you clearly should know and yet you refuse to offer it up, in spite of your words saying that you're giving all the information that you have.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by bobhanson1

Can you actually answer the questions that have been asked multiple times about what actually happened to the gun? My own Encore .300 WM had excessive headspace, but my gun didn't explode. Is the action still in one piece? Were the locking lugs intact, etc? All of these things would have been brought up in court if they applied and even though you stated haven't handled your gun since the incident it would have likely been present in court so you could at least tell us what was broken, what wasn't, etc.

Also, are you sure H1000 burns at the same rate once it's compressed heavily? Lots of powders don't so what are you basing your assumption on? Using visual pressure signs for max loads is always a bad idea which is why you were found partially at fault as many reloading guides now include pictures showing exactly that-no visible signs of grossly overpressure loads...

I have multiple Encores and would like to legitimately know what happened to your gun, not just that you think the design is bad as clearly several of us have had similar headspace issues that didn't result in catastrophic failure and the only legitimate difference thus far seems to be your use of max/over pressure loads...

I thought I did post what happened, I think people are attacking me and getting worked up when they have not read what I posted before...I’m trying to answer every question I have gotten.

The action is in one piece, I was unable to post the picture here but it is on multiple other forms...just google it.

I increased the cartridge length reducing the compression of the load....no magazine problems because it is a single shot.

Plunger (Lug?) still works but has chips on the corners.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bobhanson1

I thought I did post what happened, I think people are attacking me and getting worked up when they have not read what I posted before...I’m trying to answer every question I have gotten.

The action is in one piece, I was unable to post the picture here but it is on multiple other forms...just google it.

I increased the cartridge length reducing the compression of the load....no magazine problems because it is a single shot.

Plunger (Lug?) still works but has chips on the corners.

People are asking what happened and for details. You refuse to provide details so that people can actually try to figure out what happened. The more actual details that come out, though, the worse you end up looking in this.

85 grains when book maximum is compressed at 79.4? Good grief.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

There is lots more you "could" add, but likely won't, here are a few things that would smooth this all over and maybe make people take this more seriously.

What exactly happened to the gun, pictures would be great.

Why did the jury, right or wrong, find you 40% at fault, what did you do or what did they think you did to cause this.

Your loads are above book max according to several sources, what lab tested your loads to determine they were within SAAMI spec.

Who were the experts that inspected the loads, and your fired cases to determine they were within SAAMI spec, not only pressure but sized properly etc...

Did your loads (sizing specifically) contribute in any way to exasperate an already existing headspace issue.

There are more but lets start there.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

And what labs or experts verified that?

Was a pressure barrel used?

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Curious if increasing the cartridge length involved rechambering or altering the barrel?

That has me curious.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What was the COAL of the final load? That should information easily at hand for Brian.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Finally found the pic on another site.. Not that there's much detail that can be gotten from it.

Gun:

[Linked Image]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
well, that's going to raise more questions than answers...

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

And what labs or experts verified that?

Was a pressure barrel used?

Increasing the cartridge length also moved the bullets closer to the lands.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Yes, campfire members never shoot handloads over what reloading manuals publish.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Finally found the pic on another site.. Not that there's much detail that can be gotten from it.

Gun:

[Linked Image]

The action is intact. The hammer is intact. The barrel is intact.

The only "catastrophic failure" in that picture is of the stock.

Now, that's only one side, but I can't see how the other side would have blown out and left that side looking proper.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Page 11 of 26 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 66 invisible), 2,260 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,672
Posts18,493,799
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.