Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 26 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Brian_Ward
...check the head space or have a gun smith check the head space.” Then see what a qualified gun smith tell you to do.

Don't need a qualified gun smith. I know what to do to fix it.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Brian, where did I miss the data from what company that tested your loads for pressure?

I can't keep reading this thread every day, but had a few minutes here and just saw your last post that indicated the testing of your pressure.

Juries don't always make the correct decisions.

Last thought, I hope you get your head out of your azz enough to realize a few extra PSI in a rifle isn't going to make a difference at all on bears, grizz included. Its keeping your head out of your azz that will make the most difference.
Especially when carrying a single shot in grizz country. And I do the same, carry a single shot MZ at times....

When reloading I hope you grow up and realize, especially with dangerous game around, that you need to understand headspace, keep your rounds sized so they easily chamber, keep the pressure down to limits that keep the brass super easy to eject, keep track of the age of the brass and if the chamber of any gun has enough extra headspace are your cases starting to head to ICS.

I loaded a lot of ammo for folks on safari, I check all the above, including loading with gloves on so the brass won't tarnish from my oils.... thats anal I know, but it never failed anyone.

That being said, there are a whole lot of folks out there that have never had an issue with an Encore, me being one of those, although I know better than to hot rod it due to it, and many other designed like it. Not just single shots.

The part I think is somewhat funny in their design is that you are inside the opening mechanism, while pulling the trigger, such that under recoil you can activate it yourself if you are not paying attention.

Never mind the fact the lever digs into your back at times depending on how you sling it up.

Still love to see the technical stuff on pressure though.

Jeff,

Please, don't try to make sense. He is well beyond that now.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by heavywalker
BS he stated they were not over max, that was a flat out lie to advance his agenda, deflect, and mislead people. He knew it and everyone with a lick of common sense knows it.

I never lied about anything, nor did I claim to have a third party testing agency.

I trust the work that my gun expert did.

The "gun expert" that was disallowed rather quickly and has heretofore remained nameless?

That's one hell of an "expert". Especially when they rely on nothing more than load software that at that point was dealing with a largely untested bullet and a new powder at a highly compressed rate.

No wonder they were disallowed.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Well, something must have "way over-penetrated".

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bobhanson1
BS he stated they were not over max, that was a flat out lie to advance his agenda, deflect, and mislead people. He knew it and everyone with a lick of common sense knows it.

I never lied about anything, nor did I claim to have a third party testing agency.

BS-you've stated repeatedly your loads weren't over max based on zero physical evidence which is deceitful if not outright lying. Hypothetical pressure based on a computer program means nothing as it is only a guide and can never equal actual pressure testing.

The only part of your story that needs to be shared and is based on actual evidence is that the stock broke and it shouldn't have which by itself could have caused your injury. That by itself is noteworthy especially if they did further stupid - proof the stock. The jury's decision would indicate something you did helped contribute to the problem which would likely be your handloads. And I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith in a jury verdict as confirmation of your various truths as they did let OJ off after all...

Again, please don't try to make any sense. He's well beyond that.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 4ager

The "gun expert" that was disallowed rather quickly and has heretofore remained nameless?

That's one hell of an "expert". Especially when they rely on nothing more than load software that at that point was dealing with a largely untested bullet and a new powder at a highly compressed rate.

No wonder they were disallowed.

A gunsmith wouldn't be my first choice to support my position on whether my handloads were safe either especially when numerous testing labs exist that can provide reputable pressure info, but as long as he said brian's loads were safe that should be good enough to sell all my encores...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He's never even said he was a "gunsmith", just an unnamed "gun expert". Hell, it could have been Larry Root, Maser, or Lee24 for all anyone knows, and the court kicked that "expert" to the curb with a quickness.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know if Brian's loads were over maximum pressure or under maximum pressure.

Nor, for that matter, does 4ager. Even though he keeps quoting his holy grail, stating that loads were 8.3% over maximum.

He is forgetting that the "book", that he holds so dearly as the source of all knowledge on pressures in the .300 Win mag, is simply a guide. Using one very specific set of components, in one specific rifle.

Change the primer, and pressure could easily change a couple thousand psi, plus or minus.

Change the case, and pressure could also change, again, plus or minus.

Brian has stated that his loaded COAL was much longer than a standard loaded round. Which could lead to pressure excursions, or possibly to a much lower pressure. Depending on the chamber in which it was fired.

It just so happens that at least two of my T/C barrels have freebore that ole Roy Weatherby himself would be proud of, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that Brian's loads had the bullets well away from the lands, and thus, as another poster has indicated, been at 60,000 psi. 4000 psi short of SAAMI max.

Brian has also stated that he used a different projectile than the "book". Again - this could reduce or increase pressure.

So, unless one were to test the loads in a chamber that simulated the one in Brian's Encore, it is pure speculation as to whether or not the loads were under pressure, over pressure, or to be completely hyperbolic - "bombs".

I do find it rather telling that T/C did not take one of their barrels and create duplicate loads to verify whether or not SAAMI max pressures were exceeded. And then present this evidence to the court. All of a single days worth of work, I'd think. Then again, maybe they did test...

As for me - I'll give the jury the benefit of the doubt - and find that culpability should be shared, with the slight majority falling on T/C. I also feel that Brian is likely to find himself back in court over the matter. And not from an appeal of the judgement, but in the manner he initially presented the information, rather globally...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Scott Quickload has a warning that the software is math based modeling and doesn't use empirical data for problem solving and therefore an accurate reloading manual has to be used for load development. I've used Quickload in conjunction with RSI Pressure Trace and a chronograph to developers loads. While Quickload's pressure curve may mirror Pressure Trace's curve Pmax is different between the two.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It seems you missed my point.

Quickload is one guess.

The book load 4ager keeps referring to, is another guess. And yes, it is a guess in this case, as the very important COAL was changed. And who knows about the manufacturer of the case and primer...

But, with the variables that were thrown in by Brian and possibly by T/C's fondness for freebore, both resources are just that - guesses.

But it's really interesting that neither party to the suit introduced lab results for those loads, in a T/C Encore chamber...

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’ve tried to convey that I took due diligence in the development of my loads, and I stand by the statement. (My loads were within SAAMI service maximum avg. pressure limits.) I gave T/C Arms all my records, physical evidence, reloads, old brass… everything! For days in court, in front of the jury, they tried to make same arguments some people here are trying to make. But in the end, those arguments didn’t stick and the jury determined that T/C Arms was more at fault.

1) nobody who loads over book max for a standard cartridge is doing "due diligence". They are hotdogging it.
2) it's a flat out lie to assert your loads were within the SAAMI specs of 64k without any testing. The best you can say is that it showed no pressure signs, and that IF you used any software such as Quickload before the blowup that it possibly showed less?

In the end it seems you hotrodded a cartridge in a rifle that was already pushing it's max, and you suffered for it. You thought you were smarter than every guy who ever published a hand loading book, or that if you were over a bit too much that the consequence would be minor. Is TC responsible for putting out a rifle that was possibly dangerous at 300 Win pressures, but could definitely be dangerous to unsafe hand loaders who would overload it? The jury says yes, they are a little more responsible for it than you are.

We're all sorry you got hurt, but we are all gun guys. You have your story which you want us all to believe with no questions asked. But that's not going to happen. We don't know you, we don't know if you are the most anal hand loader on the planet, or if you were tossing back rum and cokes while you load, or if you can't throw the same load twice in a row, or even if you screwed up and used the wrong powder.

My only question left is: when are you suing the powder manufacturer? If the max load 8 years ago was 83 but has been dropped to 79, why aren't you suing them?

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Calhoun
I’ve tried to convey that I took due diligence in the development of my loads, and I stand by the statement. (My loads were within SAAMI service maximum avg. pressure limits.) I gave T/C Arms all my records, physical evidence, reloads, old brass… everything! For days in court, in front of the jury, they tried to make same arguments some people here are trying to make. But in the end, those arguments didn’t stick and the jury determined that T/C Arms was more at fault.

1) nobody who loads over book max for a standard cartridge is doing "due diligence". They are hotdogging it.
2) it's a flat out lie to assert your loads were within the SAAMI specs of 64k without any testing. The best you can say is that it showed no pressure signs, and that IF you used any software such as Quickload before the blowup that it possibly showed less?

In the end it seems you hotrodded a cartridge in a rifle that was already pushing it's max, and you suffered for it. You thought you were smarter than every guy who ever published a hand loading book, or that if you were over a bit too much that the consequence would be minor. Is TC responsible for putting out a rifle that was possibly dangerous at 300 Win pressures, but could definitely be dangerous to unsafe hand loaders who would overload it? The jury says yes, they are a little more responsible for it than you are.

We're all sorry you got hurt, but we are all gun guys. You have your story which you want us all to believe with no questions asked. But that's not going to happen. We don't know you, we don't know if you are the most anal hand loader on the planet, or if you were tossing back rum and cokes while you load, or if you can't throw the same load twice in a row, or even if you screwed up and used the wrong powder.

My only question left is: when are you suing the powder manufacturer? If the max load 8 years ago was 83 but has been dropped to 79, why aren't you suing them?

Well said

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
There are certain people who will never accept that T/C Arms or another gun company is at fault in any gun case, if the plaintiff reloads. I think that’s sad some peoples are so closed-minded. To me it sounds like “flat earthers” from 500 years ago.

What, you don't like it that folks here aren't buying your version of the story?

Only a fool listens to one side of a story and thinks he has all the facts. Especially one side of a story with two adversaries.

"Embrace the truth"--we're not buying it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
After reading this whole thing, and being convinced of the inherent danger involved with even looking at an Encore, I have decided to provide a very important public service for all of you guys stuck with these death machines. PM me for my shipping info, and I'll reluctantly let you all ship them to me, where, for the good of all, I'll properly dispose of them........... wink

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
I don't know if Brian's loads were over maximum pressure or under maximum pressure.

Nor, for that matter, does 4ager. Even though he keeps quoting his holy grail, stating that loads were 8.3% over maximum.

He is forgetting that the "book", that he holds so dearly as the source of all knowledge on pressures in the .300 Win mag, is simply a guide. Using one very specific set of components, in one specific rifle.

Change the primer, and pressure could easily change a couple thousand psi, plus or minus.

Change the case, and pressure could also change, again, plus or minus.

Brian has stated that his loaded COAL was much longer than a standard loaded round. Which could lead to pressure excursions, or possibly to a much lower pressure. Depending on the chamber in which it was fired.

It just so happens that at least two of my T/C barrels have freebore that ole Roy Weatherby himself would be proud of, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that Brian's loads had the bullets well away from the lands, and thus, as another poster has indicated, been at 60,000 psi. 4000 psi short of SAAMI max.

Brian has also stated that he used a different projectile than the "book". Again - this could reduce or increase pressure.

So, unless one were to test the loads in a chamber that simulated the one in Brian's Encore, it is pure speculation as to whether or not the loads were under pressure, over pressure, or to be completely hyperbolic - "bombs".

I do find it rather telling that T/C did not take one of their barrels and create duplicate loads to verify whether or not SAAMI max pressures were exceeded. And then present this evidence to the court. All of a single days worth of work, I'd think. Then again, maybe they did test...

As for me - I'll give the jury the benefit of the doubt - and find that culpability should be shared, with the slight majority falling on T/C. I also feel that Brian is likely to find himself back in court over the matter. And not from an appeal of the judgement, but in the manner he initially presented the information, rather globally...

Thanks for an honest look and post.

BTW-T/C Arms has already filed for a re-trial

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
All I want is for people to be aware of the situation and check their T/C Arms Encore for problems. I’ve done my best to try forget all this junk and just live my life for the past nearly 10 years. Stewing and obsessing on the case would drive a person crazy.

I don’t have the case files my attorney does and the Encore rifle and components hasn’t been in my possession in almost 10 years so I’m not able to break out the calipers and give you guys measurements. I’m speaking in just general terms from memory. I’m not trying to re-litigate this case over the internet. Also I think that would be foolish on my part since T/C Arms has already filed for a re-trial. If people are really that concerned with getting all the details and determining what happened the court documents are public record and can be obtained.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve done my best to try forget all this junk and just live my life for the past nearly 10 years. Stewing and obsessing on the case would drive a person crazy.

Looks lie the T/C Encore isn't the only thing that needs better closure...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When this unfortunate accident happened, was Thompson/Center advertising in 'Handloader Magazine', and were they making barrels for their break-open actions that were chambered for cartridges that were basically wildcats (produced expressly by handloaders)...?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by antlers
When this unfortunate accident happened, was Thompson/Center advertising in 'Handloader Magazine', and were they making barrels for their break-open actions that were chambered for cartridges that were basically wildcats (produced expressly by handloaders)...?
Not sure about where they advertised and when, but TC has made handload only barrels for a long time before this incident.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Page 22 of 26 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,480 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,680
Posts18,493,876
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.