-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 23 of 26 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 26
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Might be a bit of a head space issue with this round fired in a break action.. Wonder if this action is stronger than the TC.?

wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by selmer
I answered as fast as I could... And I'm pretty certain that I know I'm right. And TCA probably found errors not inherent in the design, but in the critical welding of the lug and placement of the hinge pin hole which create headspace variables in relation to the breechface. Absolutely NOTHING wrong with the Encore frame design, but the tolerances have to be tight on the barrel manufacture.
That assumes the chamber is cut right. You could have a barrel with perfect outside dimensions and still have excessive headspace if the chamber is cut too deep.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by antlers
When this unfortunate accident happened, was Thompson/Center advertising in 'Handloader Magazine', and were they making barrels for their break-open actions that were chambered for cartridges that were basically wildcats (produced expressly by handloaders)...?

The rub is that TC is not the only Company that produces barrels for their Contender and Encore.There is MGM,Bullberry,SSK and a few more that will just about chamber anything you request.The man stated he was not using a factory barrel.I cant figure how TC can be held responsible for an aftermarket product that did not have the locking lugs either installed correctly or made correctly?

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Huntz
The man stated he was not using a factory barrel.

Hell, I missed that too.

So, an after market barrel with handloads, and he still manages to blame T/C.

Was the barrel manufacturer sued?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
It seems you missed my point.

Quickload is one guess.

The book load 4ager keeps referring to, is another guess. And yes, it is a guess in this case, as the very important COAL was changed. And who knows about the manufacturer of the case and primer...

But, with the variables that were thrown in by Brian and possibly by T/C's fondness for freebore, both resources are just that - guesses.

But it's really interesting that neither party to the suit introduced lab results for those loads, in a T/C Encore chamber...

Since the gun was intact after the incident, it really wouldn't have been too difficult to work up a load to see at what point you duplicate the failure. (Assuming the action came open, which is the scenario that makes the most sense to me).

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE
The man stated he was not using a factory barrel.

Hell, I missed that too.

So, an after market barrel with handloads, and he still manages to blame T/C.

Was the barrel manufacturer sued?

Wait, really?

No damned wonder T/C is requesting a retrial. It wasn't their barrel, and it was a grenade load.

HTF the jury found them at fault at all is now baffling.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just when you thought it was safe to walk away.

Huntz, where's the barrel quote? Was the barrel manufacturer named?

At this case, I am wondering what T/C was sued for?

Specifically, the language of the suit.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Brian_Ward
If people are really that concerned with getting all the details and determining what happened.......

Why wouldn't people want to get all the information? Do you expect people to just believe your side of the story and not ask for all the facts?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by RWE
I am wondering what T/C was sued for?

TC was sued because they had the deepest pockets out of everybody involved.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by antlers
When this unfortunate accident happened, was Thompson/Center advertising in 'Handloader Magazine', and were they making barrels for their break-open actions that were chambered for cartridges that were basically wildcats (produced expressly by handloaders)...?

The rub is that TC is not the only Company that produces barrels for their Contender and Encore.There is MGM,Bullberry,SSK and a few more that will just about chamber anything you request.The man stated he was not using a factory barrel.I cant figure how TC can be held responsible for an aftermarket product that did not have the locking lugs either installed correctly or made correctly?

How do you guys come up with this stuff?

It was a Fox Ridge Outfitters Barrel AKA Thompson/Center Custom Shop.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, you installed a barrel that was not original to the gun - regardless of where it came from - thereby altering the firearm from the original factor condition?

Did you, by chance, have it installed by a gunsmith and/or have a gunsmith check the headspace on that barrel when it was installed?

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by 4ager
So, you installed a barrel that was not original to the gun - regardless of where it came from - thereby altering the firearm from the original factor condition?

Did you, by chance, have it installed by a gunsmith and/or have a gunsmith check the headspace on that barrel when it was installed?

Really? That's their whole selling point! "one gun for all seasons" or something like that.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well if they marketed them saying "no gunsmith required" than I could see where you felt misled.

Of course, it would have to say explicitly that, just as much as "don't handload for this mf'er" was in the booklet.

Hell, even H&R wouldn't sell you a barrel without sending your action in first.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Really? That's their whole selling point! "one gun for all seasons" or something like that.

So, in fact, you did install a barrel that was not original to that rifle and you did not have the headspace checked.

Let's see:

Non-original barrel. No gunsmith or headspace check after installation. Severely over max handload. No pressure testing of load before or after incident.

You could have laid all that out in the first place IF YOU HAD ACTUALLY CARED ABOUT HAVING PEOPLE UNDERSTAND WHAT HAPPENED. Instead, you dribbled all this out over a myriad of websites and avoided direct questions like the plague. That's not a very forthright showing for someone who supposedly is interested in the safety of other shooters and not in a smear campaign against the manufacturer.

I think T/C has a damned good case against whomever represented them for incompetent representation at this point. At the very least they have multiple grounds for a retrial and/or appeal. If they are successful on either motion, they may likely have a pretty good case for libel as well.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B

So, in fact, you did install a barrel that was not original to that rifle and you did not have the headspace checked.

Let's see:

Non-original barrel. No gunsmith or headspace check after installation. Severely over max handload. No pressure testing of load before or after incident.

You could have laid all that out in the first place IF YOU HAD ACTUALLY CARED ABOUT HAVING PEOPLE UNDERSTAND WHAT HAPPENED. Instead, you dribbled all this out over a myriad of websites and avoided direct questions like the plague. That's not a very forthright showing for someone who supposedly is interested in the safety of other shooters and not in a smear campaign against the manufacturer.

I think T/C has a damned good case against whomever represented them for incompetent representation at this point. At the very least they have multiple grounds for a retrial and/or appeal. If they are successful on either motion, they may likely have a pretty good case for libel as well.

You really are confused and your statements are absurd.

Do you know how an Encore works? In the T/C Arms own Encore commercial says …..”2 screws and one pin….new gun”.

I think it does not matter what I say here…. some of you guys you would pontificate and attack no matter what.

Last edited by Brian_Ward; 06/01/15.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have two Fox Ridge barrels and they have T/C Custom Shop stamped on them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Let's see:

You really are confused and your statements are absurd.

Do you know how an Encore works? In the T/C Arms own Encore commercial says …..”2 screws and one pin….new gun”.

I think it does not matter what I say here…. some of you guys you would pontificate and attack no matter what.

I am far from confused and my statements are spot on from a factual and legal perspective.

I know precisely how an Encore works (used to own a couple), and I also know what you have stated was at issue in your case. That you can't put that together is rather more telling than most anything else you've posted.

It mattered quite a bit what you've posted here and elsewhere. Had you been completely forthcoming from the beginning you'd have been and would be far more sympathetic and believable. As it is, you come across as someone who made a string of errors all of which your own doing and the results were a severe injury that you then sued someone else to cover and a sympathetic jury gave you just barely enough credit for your injury to make an award. You've taken that ball and run with it, and the facts that have come to light sense would give any decent attorney more than enough grounds to request a retrial or grounds for an appeal.

Your actions further have shown a severe and personal interest in damaging T/C's brand and name in spite of (and in fact often due to the concealment of) material facts. Again, T/C - if successful on retrial or on appeal - may very well pursue a libel action and I'd not want to be you trying to explain all these myriad song-and-dance routines to a judge or jury looking to see whether your intent in posting the same was malicious.

That's not an attack, Brian, it's an opinion and one founded on a good bit more than just trying to remember points from 10 years of litigation that are only favorable to my side.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JP_Lucas

And? You can swap out a barrel on a Remington 700 with three screws and a barrel wrench. Does that mean that you ought not check the headspace on the new "Remington" barrel?

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by JP_Lucas
Did TC send headspace gauges with them?

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
So let's say that I have a remington M700 and decide to put a new remington bolt in it, much easier to do than swap out a barrel, even on an encore.

Is the argument here that I shouldn't have to test the headspace because it is a remington part?

Would remington be liable if I didn't?

Or is not checking headspace specific to the Encore only?

If so does the Encore make the specific claim that you do not need to check the headspace when swapping barrels?

Page 23 of 26 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 2,258 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,672
Posts18,493,793
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.