OP Offline
Campfire Regular
OK thanks for the info

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Okay, I'll try to be clearer.... The nipple nose has to be bottomed out against the breech plug chamfer or gas will blow by around the nipple bypassing the small .028" flash hole. The two cross holes in the nipple do not have to line up with the "blow holes" in the breech plug because the inner diameter of the breech plug is much larger than the shank of the nipple creating a cavity. The gas will escape out the "blow holes" regardless of the position of the nipple cross holes. I have three nipples and none index to line up with the blow holes in two different barrels. The blow holes in the breech plug do have to line up with the holes in the receiver or it will prevent it from venting.
Couple things to check....Screw the nipple in tight and if the back shoulder of the plug (where the wrench flats are) contacts the back of the barrel then the nipple is too short and the nose is not sealing the larger breech plug hole. Also check the bottom of the breech plug to make sure there's nothing preventing the nipple from sealing the plugs hole. Was that the first shot fired with the new nipple? If so check the nipples flash hole to make sure it's the correct .028" diameter. If it was somehow inadvertently drilled the larger diameter straight through, you will get a huge amount of blow back.

Last edited by tmitch; 06/04/15.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
thank you mitch . thats what i was getting at . the tip of the nipple has to seat to the breech . the nipple isnt really the breech . the nipple seats into the breech as shown in the photo you posted . the breech is actualy " if i recall " , the whole back of the barrel from the mounting lug back

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
captchee, you are correct. It makes for a very long (3"+) flash channel. While the system is quite different from the traditional side hammer type, it still relies on the small nipple flash hole to contain most of the pressure. Dissimilar, but the same....

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

nhFrank Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Captchee for some reason your post didn't show up I am using a tablet and some times it does not load correctly, after reading your post I think the hammer spring is shot you also said the nipple may be short they make different length nipple's for the scout . tmitch thank you also for posting the pics and info you gave me was a big help I think while ordering a new spring a new nipple will be a good thing also .
Thank you both again I will let you know how this turns out

Last edited by nhFrank; 06/04/15.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nhFrank
Captchee for some reason your post didn't show up I am using a tablet and some times it does not load correctly, after reading your post I think the hammer spring is shot you also said the nipple may be short they make different length nipple's for the scout . tmitch thank you also for posting the pics and info you gave me was a big help I think while ordering a new spring a new nipple will be a good thing also .
Thank you both again I will let you know how this turns out

Good luck to you! tmitch said better what it was that I thought I meant. wink

Captchee is rarely, if ever, wrong on a ML issue.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
nhFrank Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
4ager yes they are very rite and not to start a pizzing match you told me to back the nipple out not good info I am glad they both stepped up with the accurate information

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Did they make shorter nipples for the scout ?? Mmmm not sure about that one as I have never seen one .
BUT I have seen where folks shortened the nipple after it had been damaged by dry firing .
I also have seen the nipple filed back in attempts to create a more square contact with the hammer .
Neither is what you want to do .

What I was getting by say this design suffers from much the same as traditional designs is that its basically an early inline design . Its an exposed inline ignition with the same longer breech . As such one of the great problems this design had was that you had blow back . Especially concerning the use of a flint ignition source .
TC adapted the design to a hammer vs. plunger . They added venting and a stronger nipple for safty .
However when blow back happens , the effect is still the same on the rest of the ignition as it would be on a side lock .However with the side lock at least the lock is alittle to one side and blow back is vented up vs. strait back at you .
As to backing the nipple a ¼ or ½ turn out , its not the first time I have heard or seen folks do that .
Personally I wouldn’t as it defeats the ignition channel design and can end up causing inconsistent ignition . It also can act like having a lose nipple on a side lock in that the hammer may not contact true . Also over time it can effect the threads of both the nipple and the bolster “ In your case the breech “ since the nipple is not fully seated .

Last edited by captchee; 06/04/15.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
nhFrank,

It has worked on my Scout. Passing along what has worked.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
nhFrank Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks again captchee I think I am going to order a new hammer spring and nipple and hold that sucker down away from my face and see what happens

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
nhFrank, even though these guys probably have you fixed up, they sound like they know what they're talking about, another good source of TC info is a website that I stumbled on called bellmtcs.com. I was having a problem with miss fires on my Encore 30.06 barrel and he fixed me right up with new hammer springs. The guy's name is Mike Bellm and he's real knowledgeable about all TC's and sells parts too in case you need a new nipple.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
nhFrank Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks stone cutter it is worth checking out

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, Amos63, 8 invisible), 1,530 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,371
Posts18,488,327
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.