Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The demise of independent mom & pop restaurants is due to the chains paying developers and property management (who grease local bureaucrats) to get their leases.

On multi-day motorcycle camping trips I always look for out of the way places. One time, actually looking for fuel, I pulled up to an old gas station, but soon realized the pumps had been abandoned, and it had been converted to a restaurant. It was a good time to eat, so I went in and asked the middle-aged manager/waitress/cook if there was anything really special on the menu. She replied that everything was pretty good. So I ordered a chicken sandwich.

What she served me was incredible! There was a chunk of chicken as big as my fist! Helluva sandwich. Gotta love those places.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Sheister
My brother was a trucker until he retired a few years ago. One thing he taught me about truck stops- they are seldom the best places to eat. The reason you see a lot of trucks in some places is that is probably the only place they can park their huge trucks long enough to get something to eat.
Some long periods in bathrooms has convinced me he was right about that.

If you want to see where the best small restaurants in a small town are, ask the locals who can afford to go out more often than most where they go or watch for vehicles at restaurants that aren't broken down farm or teenager vehicles. People go where they can afford until the food is really good, then they stop looking, IMHO.

I found some good food in some some smaller truck stops mostly in the South.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
The Yelp app has helped me a lot to find the good places when traveling

Yep. It works great. Hungry and on the road? Hit Yelp and you'll find a local place just another half mile (or maybe three) down the road that has great reviews but no chance you'd know it was there without the Yelp app.

We haven't eaten at a chain place on a road trip the last couple years thanks to it and we've had some great local food.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
All I know is the further one gets to the middle states, the more bland food becomes.
Aw come on Steelhead-we got that Spicky Heinz Ketchup in last week-ooooo that's some hot stuff donchaknow yahsureyoubetcha'!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You guys are making me hungry hearing about all these good eats.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
We have 1 place in town and we eat there every Thursday.

Sometimes just have chicken fry but they also have sirloin and mex food or brisket.

It just depends on how the gal that owns it feels that day.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If you find yourself in Junction Tx. I recommend
Issac's Restaurant. The "Junction Special" is 2sausage patties,
2thick-slice bacon, 2 eggs and 2 pancakes. 6a.m. is when to go.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I always seek out a local owned eatery vs a chain if possible.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Halfway between Abilene & Ft. Worth, just 2 miles off I-20, in a one stop light town called Strawn, you'll find one of the best Mom & Pop restaurants and the best Chicken Fried Steak in TX! It's called Mary's Cafe. Also have great Breakfast & Tex-Mex food. If you ever get a chance to stop there, you won't be disappointed.

Also, in MarbleFalls, TX, in the Hill Country, you gotta eat at the Bluebonnet Cafe.
It's another one you won't regret stopping at.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Halfway between Abilene & Ft. Worth, just 2 miles off I-20, in a one stop light town called Strawn, you'll find one of the best Mom & Pop restaurants and the best Chicken Fried Steak in TX! It's called Mary's Cafe. Also have great Breakfast & Tex-Mex food. If you ever get a chance to stop there, you won't be disappointed.

Also, in MarbleFalls, TX, in the Hill Country, you gotta eat at the Bluebonnet Cafe.

NOW you tell me!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Ha! I live in Fort Worth, but we hunt out by Abilene and we eat at Mary's often on the drive. You are spot on, cheers brother!

Another good place I love is Cafe Rico in Cisco. The pork adobado Azteca is really good.

If 2nd amendment rights can be subject to licensing and fees, how was the poll tax unconstitutional?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll have to try the place in Cisco. I went to jr College there before I went to TAMU.
Do y'all hunt north or south of Abilene?

The Dixie Pig Cafe in Abilene has been open for over 50 years and has great breakfast!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
you want a good greasy spoon just find the sale barn café, never been to one that didn't have good food, and I have been to a lot of them

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We had another superb prime rib along with singing and good cheer again in the Eastside Restaurant in our small town New Britain, CT.

http://www.eastsiderestaurant.com/

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
no one cares.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Savage_99
We had another superb prime rib along with singing and good cheer again in the Eastside Restaurant in our small town New Britain, CT.

http://www.eastsiderestaurant.com/

[Linked Image]

well Don Martin nobody gives a crap about your opinion and stolen pictures

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll have to try the place in Cisco. I went to jr College there before I went to TAMU.
Do y'all hunt north or south of Abilene?

The Dixie Pig Cafe in Abilene has been open for over 50 years and has great breakfast!

It's south of Abilene, Coke county. Halfway to San Angelo, too far to drive back up to Abilene unless we hit it on the way home and we may at some point.

And sorry, Cafe Rico is in Eastland, my mistake. A little off I-20 but we do it anyway.

If 2nd amendment rights can be subject to licensing and fees, how was the poll tax unconstitutional?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by KC

I look for the places where there are a lot of eighteen-wheelers in the parking lot. Truckers always seem to know where the best places to eat are located. However, I generally avoid truck stops because they all seem to be franchised chains now too.

KC

The conventional wisdom that truckers are cognoscenti with respect to the best places to eat is, alas, a myth. Truckers care far less about the quality of food than about their ability to park/manuever their rigs. Accordingly, truckers tend to patronize restaurants that have expansive parking lots...the quality of the food is a secondary consideration.

Last edited by Tuco; 06/06/15.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by EdM
.................. I also like the food at the cafe in Elmira.

Yes, great burgers and fries.......need a fistful of napkins to sop up the drip-en's ..........

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Our best around here is Wampach's Cafe in Shakopee, Mn. Great breakfasts-pancakes that are bigger than the dinner plates they serve them on. Very good sausage gravy and biscuits too. There's two waitresses working there that have been there for over 25 years. Always smiling-holding court over the regulars that come as much to see them as they do for the food. Just one of those places that you really like to go back to.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,379
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.