Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Just a short range report on the Montana Rifle Company X2 stock.

Last weekend, I started some load testing on a new MRC X2 in 300 Win Mag. The rifle does not have a muzzle break.

Load testing was with 185 Berger's and H1000. It was warm outside, in the low 90's, so the barrel was slow to cool and I only managed 12 rounds before it was time for the range to close as I also was zeroing and practicing with a MRC in 308. The 308 has a B&C stock, so it was a good opportunity for side by side comparison.

The MRC X2 stock really tamed the recoil to a surprisingly tolerable level. I loathe heavy recoiling rifles, but found it very acceptable and there was no need for a brake. For comparison, it was tamer recoil than a Kimber Montana in 308 running 175 SMK's. Obviously there is about a two and a half pound difference between them, 5.5 vs. just shy of 8 excluding scopes.

The comb on the X2 stock is too low to achieve cheek weld and definitely will benefit from a stock pack or similar. Also, it is much thinner through the grip than the B&C on the XWR. The texturing on the stock really is nicely done, and was easy to hold.

As discussed in a prior thread, it has pillars installed, but is bedded only under the barrel shank. The XWR in B&C came with a very nicely bedding job throughout. I still am undecided on whether to bed X2, and probably will, but am going to work with loads some more to see what it can achieve as delivered.

The barrel showed no fouling in the first twelve shots, which was a nice surprise for a new factory barrel.

Overall, add a stock pack, and it is a very nice stock.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Jeffbird. Glad to hear a good report. I have a x2 in 7mm08 on order now. Glad to hear the grip is thinner.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
I've got a LH 6.5x55 coming as well. Looking forward to it...

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Ive got a bud looking for a 300win. I'll give him the heads up.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Got pics?

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J

D
D
Thanks for this info! I have a few questions for you...

How was accuracy of the rifle? Do you plan on bedding it further or is the factory bedding job enough?

How do you feel about this rifle vs an equivalent Winchester model, if you disregarded the differences in the B&C stock vs MRC and rifle weight?

How much time do you wait between shots or groups when shooting?

I am hoping to buy the MRC X2 in 7-08 as my first centerfire and first hunting rifle but have trouble pulling the trigger on a less expensive Winchester or a much less expensive Savage or Ruger.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Doc,

See the link just above with info on the rifle. There was a good discussion there. I've owned all of the brands you list, and of those the MRC is my favorite.

In short, accuracy is excellent in the MRC's. The prior link has some photos of the 260 and 308.

I fire three shots in a few minutes, then give the barrel enough time to cool so that it is just warm to touch, which will vary with the ambient temperature and the round being fired.

Just pick something and go shoot. If you don't like it, move it on down the road and keep after it until you find "the one" and then hang onto it.

If this will be your first centerfire rifle, keep your accuracy expectations modest as you will have many hundreds of rounds ahead of you before you really begin to master it.

Keep in mind there are four variables in the system: 1. the rifle, 2. the scope including rings and base, 3. ammo, and 4. the shooter. All of them have to be ironed out and running well at the same time.

Do you handload? If not, also consider a 260 or a 308, which have quality match ammo available. Buy a case and then go practice.

Good luck!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Your second to the last paragraph is some of the best advise i have heard given to a new shooter.

D
D
I will be handloading. Thanks for the advice!

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks Boarmaster.

Doc, you're welcome and good luck.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Jeff is killing me again. I find myself "needing" one of these rifles....

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Ok, one more update on the 300 Win Mag.

Did some load workup yesterday. Found a nice load very easily.

Decided today to pull the action from the stock to see if it showed any signs of rubbing, movement, and a need for bedding. Unfortunately, the answer was yes.

The texturing beads rubbed or shook loose so there were little black beads and specks under the receiver, around the mag box, and importantly around the trigger, as well as indicating rubbing and movement.

It seems wise to prevent these little beads and specks from potentially interfering with the trigger.

So this afternoon was spent with a sharp chisel and sandpaper gently scraping the texturing off of the inside, and then prepping and bedding it with some Devcon.

One correction, I previously stated that this stock did not appear to be bedded. It has some hot glue bedding which I popped and cut out with the sharp chisel.

After the second trip to the range yesterday, this is quickly becoming one of my favorite rifles even with having to fool with bedding. All of these MRC's have been very easy to make shoot well. This is the first one that required any attention at all. It is doing just fine without it, but just interested to see if it can improve some more.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Not glad to hear you have to mess with it but glad to hear your liking it. I have high hopes for mine that hope they get built soon.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1OntarioJim, 222ND, 1badf350, 257Bob, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 2500HD, 57 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,906
Posts18,518,578
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.