Print Thread
Hop To
J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
There was a bear attack in the SMNP over the weekend involving a 16 year old boy and his father. By all accounts they were doing everything right so the cause is a bit of a mystery at this time.

http://www.wlos.com/news/features/t...ar-dragging-him-21425.shtml#.VXcK7UZKV5c

They were sleeping in hammocks when the bear dragged the 16 year old out. There is a mention in the article about a similar incident there in 2001 involving hammocks. I've heard, and read in the last few days that hammocks are not advised in bear country. That they seem to attract the attention of bears and could lead to an attack.

I've never heard of this, anyone else know if there is any merit and why.

BTW, my 18 year old niece was hiking in a different part of the park on the same day and had a bear approach aggressively with a bluff charge. Another section of trails was closed there a few days ago after aggressive behavior towards a park ranger. Seems the bears there are getting feisty.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
If somebody dangled a burrito in front of your hungry face what would you do?

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Its also mating season around here and that leads to behavior you don't see the rest of year. Both boars and Sows often act less predictably and more aggressively

Last edited by noKnees; 06/09/15.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
J
JMR40 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by panjandrum
If somebody dangled a burrito in front of your hungry face what would you do?

Maybe, but I'm not sure it would be any more tempting than a burrito laying on the ground on a sleeping pad. Or even in a tent.

The only explanation I can come up with is that we have conditioned bears to know the food is hung from a rope between 2 trees. Maybe they see a hammock as food hung low enough to get to.

Or it could be pure BS and sleeping in a hammock is no more likely to lead to a bear attack than on the ground.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by JMR40

Or it could be pure BS and sleeping in a hammock is no more likely to lead to a bear attack than on the ground.

This.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by strawman
Originally Posted by JMR40

This.

I'm on board with too. I spend a lot of time in the smokys. The bears are not afraid of people - which is the whole issue. I think they view us as 'peers' and act accordingly. Ever watch bears interact over a bait bucket? The biggest baddest bear wins. Applying that situation to the smokys - if they want our food they simply go get it. And you might need to tangle asses with them to keep it - just like they do. I have a healthy respect for bears but hold human habituated bears a bit higher because of their lack of fear with humans.

There has been many more aggressive bear experiences this hear than have been reported. I know of 4-5 bluff charges in the past month or so from friends who hike alot. I'm honestly a bit concerned because I carry a 357 loaded with 180 WFN over a stiff load of 2400. I don't want to shoot one but I'm not going to get bit.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

60 members (6mmCreedmoor, artur, Backroads, 260Remguy, 6MMWASP, 8 invisible), 1,496 guests, and 953 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,402
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.