Home
Just like to hear a bit about what equipment you've come to appreciate as you've matured (IE gotten older).

I'll kick off

*a good set of walking sticks

*my Kenetrek boots. I have terribly challenging knee's. 5 surgeries, basically no cartiledge and getting my feet into this brand has been a real gift. My Hardscrabbles, and my Mtn Extreme's have kept me going when other boots wouldn't.

*my 7x42 SLC's. Far and away the most user friendly glass I've had the privaledge to be around.

Looking forward to hearing what goods you all like.

Maybe we can keep from going into a bunch of "BG" (ballistic gack) on this thread. Maybe... wink

Dober
Using binoculars and a lighter rifle in a smaller caliber and higher magnification scope.
Drugs. smile

I'm still stupid, maybe not quite as much, but the body is still cooperating mostly. A bit slower in recovery. Nothing Advil and modified planning can't handle.

And I've lowered the limit (mostly) on pack weights. I try to keep 'em to 70 or less, now. Depends on terrain and distance.

The most valuable, however, is having a couple late 20, early 30 packers... if I can just get the damned kids to come hunt with me...
Originally Posted by las
Drugs. smile

Yes. Plural. Cocktail form. Yes. Not just Ibu, but aspirin and tylenol too. And taken proactively (ahead of time) as well.

And stiff-soled boots. (Columbia Bug-a-boo variations have been good for me.)

I like pulley blocks and/or come-alongs. 4WD.

4X scopes are great (for shorter pack outs grin )

mid-range power (30-06ish) stuff works just as good now as bigger stuff did a few years ago! whistle

When I was younger I had a stronger back and a weaker mind. Now, I may not have a stronger mind, but my weaker back suggests that my mind is relatively stronger. grin

My Swarovski Bino's and Aleve....
Big Agnes IAC sleeping pad, sleeping comfortably helps me a lot. I can't hang with just using a closed cell foam pad anymore.
When I first started out (not that long ago, I'm only 31) I was into the latest synthetic clothing products and high mag scopes.

Wool now is my go to, and a 3-9 or a 2-7 is what I run on my general purpose big game rifles.

I've also grown very fond of 'older' cartridges. The 30-06, 45/70, 30-30 and 45acp are as cool as it gets for me now. Hell I'm even proud to slum a 270, but don't tell Ingwe.
115 cm ice axe.
A nice soft cushon to set on.
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
A nice soft cushon to set on.

Yes, that would be nice. Clients seem to bring those, quite often. I definitely recommend them for clients. I should start carrying one, too. I seem to ruin a lot of pants and a cushion would help to eliminate that problem. I'm usually maxed-out on available space inside my pack, though. And of course, when hunting to kill, there's always the issue of fitting everything inside or on the pack when transporting big-game.
Trail cameras and Primaloft.
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Not just Ibu, but aspirin and tylenol too. And taken proactively (ahead of time) as well.

I recall asking my doctor for a prescription of Relafen, an anti-inflammatory for my knee. He asked why I needed it and I told him I'd take it ahead of time on my pack-in hunting trip to keep my knee from swelling. So he says, "oh, you want to take it prophylactically. And I said "no doc, this is not that kind of "hunting trip," we're really going hunting."

The most valuable thing I've learned to bring along is a hunting partner around half my age. Those guys love to pack heavy loads and seem to have something to prove, which is a hard combination to beat.
I keep an eye out for lighter clothing.Use more of a mix of synthetics and wool...Have not got around to Kennetreks but will have to wear out my Cabela's Meindl's first.Great boot for my wide feet and I am fussy on boots.

Bins have not changed much....still a pair of 8X Swaro's and an HD Leica 10 power.

In constant flux about scopes,balancing weight, good optics,etc...I like a bit more power today,and my eyes notice differences in optical quality.

Rifle weight has not entered the picture yet,since I have been using synthetic stocks and 7-8 pound M70's since the 80's.I keep saying I like Kimber Montana's and ti Rem 700's and have had both but none seem to stick around...guess I am still looking for that ultimate 270/7mm on a G33/40 smile

The 300's and 338's are gone...don't need the abuse... and I figured out a guy does not need a medium for very much here but should still have "one" around.Anything but a 375 bore is folly whistle...everything else falls neatly to a 270,30/06 or 7mm magnum....they can keep the rest.

The thing I use more than anything else these days is my head....I try to think through a plan more these days instead of blasting off into nowhere like I used to... grin
Trekking poles, quality boots, pack, sleep system, wool, tripod, multiple cow calls, gps.

Kent
I glass more than I did when I was younger..Have better binocs, boots, and higher power scopes..I hunt with my head more than my feet, but my 10 pound .300 is still my favorite big game rife..I do fool with other calibers more than when I was younger, but when the chips are down, that is the one I pick..
A couple of things:

I spend much more time looking over maps and designing entry and exits points. I used to simply whip out the map, find a spot I wanted to go to, and walked a straight line between points A and B. That works when your 25, not so much as I approach 50. A little map work can save alot of steps.

I also premedicate with Advil (Ibuprofen). I take 2 in the AM and 2 when I go to bed. Sometimes I take 3 at each interval. I've been blessed with good knees but they still complain after a couple days of elk hunting.

I bought a postal scale about 5-6 years ago. I weigh everything and chose the lightest, best equipment I can afford. I know I've lost 5 lbs from my day pack using the scale. Also went to lighter rifles, outer clothing, and boots. I wish I would have weighed all my gear when I first started mountain hunting. Its probably what got in good shape now........

I quit sleeping on the ground. I'll still do it for a nite or two at a spike camp but not for an extended period of time. This fall I bought a canvas tent and a very good cot. I also acquired a piece of 3" dense foam. This fall was some of the best sleeping I've ever had.

I take a day off every 3-4 days. We usually watch the weather and plan a day in town or around camp. We sleep late, eat 10k calories, and sit around telling lies for the day. About half the time we only end up taking the AM off and hunt second shift. It is very relaxing and rejuvenating. We put fun back into the hunt as we've gotten older. We still hard core it but usually for 2-4 day stints then take a day off.

The other thing we've done is take more time hiking in. I used to plan on hiking as fast and quick as I could to get to 'my spot'. I now plan on an extra 30-45 minutes and not push myself to get to where I'm going. I've found, for me, a half hour less sleep rather than extreme physical exertion first thing in the AM keeps me more energized in the long run.
Dober, Ive loved my 8x30 slcs but if youve got 7x42s, those are the only glass Ive seen that are what I call orgasmic. super duper stuff.

As Ive gotten older I have switched to using bigger scopes, always used a 1.-5x before for big game, now its usually a 3x9

I have also come to appreciate a nice haystack type blind grin

And very much like the Polaris Ranger we have at the ranch for retrieving game, I used to just drag them to the nearest two track, now I just take a hike back and fetch the ranger...
Haystack blinds, yeah I like how you think...grin

I've had my 7x42 SLC's since they hit the states (not sure how long ago but it's long). 4 me and my eye's there's nothing that comps. I've had 2 pairs of 8x30 SLC's and a pair of 7x30 SLC's. All 3 of them hit the road as for my eyes it's night and day tween them and the 7x42's. Glad I don't have to buy them now.

4 my light glass I carry some 6x30 Yo's.

Dober
Hmmm, pretty much what BobinNH said! The rifle I tote around more and more these hunting seasons is still my favored Sako Finnbear 270, no more than 8lb ready to shoot. My glass is a pair of Swift Autobon 8x43 roofs that JB mentioned a time or two. Bought 'em, still use 'em. other than that, what BobinNH said works for me.
I appreciate lighter kicking rifles now. A .270 is pretty much as big as I need for anything I'm after in these parts.

A small butt-pad is sure nice when sitting/glasssing for extended periods, especially wheen snow is on the ground.

As silly as it sounds, I kinda like having a cellphone with me now. I used to purposely leave it at home. After getting stuck a couple times or knowing I was gonna be later than expected it was nice to call and let somebody know what was going on.
Good stuff here guys.

More comfortable/lighter pack.
Easier kicking & lighter rifle.
Good optics.
Comfy boots.

Really, my gear hasn't changed a lot.

Decided that sitting somewhere and watching for game was a pretty good idea. Used to be I had to go out and walk all day to feel like I'd been hunting.

I do like a warm campfire at night and it doesn't have to be a big fire either. But that hasn't changed over the years.

Guy
When I was young I could climb up and down the 'hills' near the camp with ease. I knew many others could not do that. There was game there then and I got some.

Now that I am old I can't climb those hills with ease. I could do it some. I never had 4WD back then. Didn't need it.

Now it helps a lot. We just got 11" more snow last night on top of the 33" or so that had not melted.

I wanted to go hunting today. I did get out earlier this week. smile

About all I am going to do 'outdoors' today with gear is run the snowblower!

[Linked Image]

Still using the 9x35 Nikon Binos I bought in 95,haven't found anything bette. Two rifles I hunt with besides a ML is the.06 FWT and 6.5 Swede.
I carry one of those Hot Seats now to sit on and wear rain gear pants in the snow. Sure keeps me dry now.

Most appreciated now are the two mules down in the corral. With rods, screws, cages in my back and COPD,I'd have to quit hunting if I didn't have them.
A Ford long box Crew Cab. I get more and more gear in camp each season.
I guess getting to this point has been a constant state of evolution, so it is hard to pin point when I got "old" smile.

I've been adjusting my gear constantly for a lot of years but I still use what has worked for me for a long time, just kind of stubborn that way, I guess.

Still shoot the Model 70 classic .338 WM for Elk, .270 for deer, though the .270 is on a mountain rifle light contour stock built around a commercial FN action. Light, fast, and carries and points extremely well.
The .338 was always in a tupperware stock since I bought it, but finally this week bedded it into a McMillan McSwirly. Kind of like buying new clothes for an old friend. Recoil never has bothered me too much and I like the results I've gotten with the .338 and .270 over the years so they will probably be with me till the end.

Still carry my Leupold 10x40 Porro's as they have worked fine for me since my wife gifted them to me for my birthday many years ago. Great glass and comfortable in my big hands.

Where I have made adjustments out of need is we finally bought a really nice tent- 2 actually. Replaced the old 10 x 12 with a 14 x 16 tent and great stove. Bought a 10x12 cook tent to go along with the larger group of family that hunts with us now.
Along with the tents we bought new cots and sleeping pads. Also put a nice carpet floor in the tent.
Getting a good night's sleep and a comfortable camp has made a world of difference in my hunting day.

I've always watched out for great deals on good hunting clothes and I've accumulated a good collection of light, warm clothes for my different hunting situations. Wool has been my go-to clothes for a very long time and that isn't going to change any time soon. I supplement some of that with Fleece in different weights for varying weather conditions, and several different weights of long johns and socks.

I guess I've been extremely lucky in my 60 years. I've never had any real problems with my knees or back and I can still pack out elk quarters, especially since I bought a good Molle pack for packing. I still like to hike the hills, but at a slower pace than when I was younger.

Most of these changes didn't really happen due to age as much as natural progression of adjustments as I could afford to buy better gear and as my son got older and could help out with the expense and set up chores and packing.

I think the one biggest addition I've realized is getting my (now 34 year old) son interested and keeping him interested in hunting. Now, if I seem even a little disinterested he gives me hell and pushes me to do things I may not accomplish without him around. Doggone former Marines...... wink

Bob
Lots of great comments and wisdom, here.

I don't have any grandkids yet, so I'm not sure if I'm allowed to comment, but I've noticed a few things which I really have come to appreciated as I've "matured."

Lots of stuff already mentioned, plus:

Good socks.

4 Wheel Drive.

Gentler horses.

Less recoil.

Good digital cameras & pictures.

Rangefinder.

Getting up earlier and hurrying less.

Good glass and good triggers are things I've always prized, and now more than ever.

Hunting with my children. Seasons now focus some on whose turn it is to try for a good buck, but hunting time is spread among the meat hunters and horn hunters alike.

Just about every rifle I've got "belongs" to one of them, and will go with them when they leave with just a handful of exceptions, for which they'll have to wait a little longer...grin.

Every new one (or new to me) has a big element of which child it will go to when they leave/get married, and how it will round out what I already have for them.

DJ
I appreciate being able to take my 77 Chev pick-up with my 10-22, my Leica 8x42s and a couple of boxes of WW Power Points and hunt Gophers for a few hours just a few miles from home -- just me. No longer worried about having to be somewhere else.

I appreciate being able to take the Honda (Rancher) and take a ride in places where no one else (hardly) ever goes. With luck, I'll see Deer, Antelope (for sure) Coyotes and GOPHERS (if its Summer)!! I'll have a 44 Special along --- or maybe a bolt action 223 or a S&W 22 revolver.

I appreciate being on a good horse during round-up -- usually with a S&W Model 66 or such on my hip. I love going into the coulees and creek bottoms --- looking for strays. I have an old Resistol and a pair of scuffed-up Ariats that feel just right.

I like going out on country two-tracks in the early AM after a few inches of Snow have fallen -- looking for tracks -- just tracks; nothing in particular.

On an Elk hunt; I can sit in one place for an hour; glassing and listening --- This is pleasing to me. In the old days, I couldn't sit still for 5 minutes.

Not really an 'addition' but I'm making a bigger effort to hunt more with the older guys that brought me into the sport a long time ago - especially my Dad and uncle. Dad and I were talking last week. He has a 10 year hunting plan till he's out of gas. I need to make the best of that while we both still can.

Same with my uncle. He's only 12 years older than me but has had bi-pass surgery and is aging. I've spent many a day hunting with him and have some great memories.

This is a really cool thread.

Thanks Dober!
Some of these have probably been mentioned, but for me:

Lightweight, low recoiling rifle (7-08)

Aleve

Shooting sticks that double as a walking stick.

Polaris Ranger-Alright, I'll admit it. After 4 knee surgeries and just biding my time for a double replacement, I love the thing for retrieving game. Our mule deer place has 8-10 section pastures full of mesquite choked sandhills and zero roads. Impossible to get a deer out without quartering, which I've done plenty of, but the Ranger is a very welcome thing.

High power premium spotter- let the glass do the walking.
Back to a 270, wool clothes, pedialyte, and a knee brace. My buddies in the Bitteroot Valley always laughed at my 300 WM, typical eastener. LOL.
A lot of the stuff I would mention has already been said.

I still like 30-06, but I'm going to lighter bullets and medium powders. Over time, my taste is moving away from heavy recoil. One of these days, I may take a deer with a 223 REM.

I toss bulky outer layers in a duffel bag with pack straps and haul them out to the stand, and climb into the stand before putting them on. No more sweat. I stay a lot warmer.

I also figured out that those handwarmers work great, but not the way they are usually intended. I break one open and stuff it in a breast pocket. It warms the blood coming into my chest and that keeps my hands and feet warm. I use the chemical ones for deer season and use a Jon-E for turkey season. I can wear a lot less clothing.

Any time I can, I carry an extra pair socks with me. It really keeps my long hikes happier.

I will not go afield without a two compasses and a good whistle and matches.

Drier lint-- That one needed a paragraph of its own. I had to date a Girl Scout to find out that secret of the Universe. I have baggies of drier lint in every pack and jacket I own.

Extra shoelaces!!!

A garbage bag. I learned as a caver to always carry a nice sturdy leaf bag in my kit as a last resort shelter. Years later I heard about using it next to your skin, worn as a vest as a last ditch way to stave off hypothermia. I've had to use the bag twice over the years-- an absolute lifesaver.

I almost always carry a hiking staff. I got in the habit when I broke my foot 30 years ago. Once in a while I go without, but I always carry the means to make one in a hurry. Once I had a leg go bad on me on a backpacking trip and had to come out on one leg and the staff. Another time I injured myself in the Big South Fork and had to cut a staff with my Swiss Army Knife to get out. My staff has probably also saved me a lot of grief over the years. A guy my size (think John Wayne gone to seed) with a big stick has made a lot of folks, the occasional dog, and more than one snake get cooperative in a hurry. That stick does a lot of talking, and all I'm doing is using it to haul my carcass around.

Originally Posted by shaman
Drier lint-- That one needed a paragraph of its own. I had to date a Girl Scout to find out that secret of the Universe. I have baggies of drier lint in every pack and jacket I own.

Make sure you try this stuff to see how well it burns. I know a guy who carried it around for years only to find out it wouldn't burn. Some fabrics and fabric softeners have pretty good fire retardants, it turns out.

Vaseline on cotton balls is a safe bet.
Red wing boots,Filson double mac cruiser. My old 270,and my newer remington 7600 308.
My digital watch with alarm.

So I can set it to wake up an hour before sunset and avoid the walk back to the truck in the dark.
Originally Posted by 444Matt
When I first started out (not that long ago, I'm only 31) I was into the latest synthetic clothing products and high mag scopes.

Wool now is my go to,

Ditto.

I also wish I would have realized how cool and capable my .280 Remington Mountain rifle is/was. I let it get away from me for TWENTY years when I convinced myself I "needed" a big magnum to take elk...in spite of the fact that I killed my biggest elk with it in about 1991. Sooooo fortunate to have gotten it back.

Damn I was ignorant.

Dave
Shooting them close to home.

I shot my last 3 elk on the hill above my house, on my own land, and within 1/4 mile of my house. No, I didn't shoot them from my house. I actually stalked 200 yds or so up the hill before taking the shot on each of them. And they were all a downhill drag. grin
Learned a longtime ago better to save a bit longer for quality gear then be let down in the field. My best buy has been my sleeping bag, thought it cost a fortune when I bought it years ago, now realize it was a great investment, sleep like a baby no matter the weather.
Love my leica 8x32's; scarpa boots, quality socks and plenty of them, light weight rifles carrying my 308 montana or 3006 NULA is a joy, as is pulling up with the kahles and swaro scopes they wear.
And of course wouldn't go anywhere without a custom knife or two, generally an Ingram or May
Buffy wins, I could only dream of living that life.
Originally Posted by GuyM
Good stuff here guys.

More comfortable PACK HORSES
Easier kicking & lighter rifle.
Good optics.
Comfy boots.

Really, my gear hasn't changed a lot.

Decided that sitting somewhere and watching for game was a pretty good idea. Used to be I had to go out and walk all day to feel like I'd been hunting.

I do like a warm campfire at night and it doesn't have to be a big fire either. But that hasn't changed over the years.

Guy
I fixed it Guy wink
Lighter, better balanced rifles in sub .30 calibers.

Really good boots. A few different brands and weights.

Lighter weight, higher tech clothing.

I will always own Leupold Yosemite bins.

Definitely appreciate the Ibuprofen. And the synthetic long underwear instead of the Duofold stuff. But for outerwear, I started with Woolrich a long time and ago and found no reason to change. Boots with Thinsulate are a good thing too.

Never went to the big mags, the 270 (6X scope) and the 358 Win (4X) have been doing it well since the 70's. Although I did buy a SS/Syn 7mm-08 with a 3-9 about 4 years ago.

Nice to have the son along and to still have my Dad around to hunt with. Got twin grandsons coming along but they only turn 1 next month so it will be awhile before they hit the woods.

Dale
I am not what I think of as "old" yet, but I sure have come to appreciate a pillow! 20 years ago, I could sleep on a rock with a rolled up coat for a pillow and wake up ready to go. If I try that now, I will feel 10x worse than if I hike 15 miles!
Like many others, lighter rifles chambered for non-magnum cartridges, trekking poles and/or a stout set of shooting sticks, good binoculars (Swarovski and Leica), and at least one younger, tougher companion to keep me out of trouble and make sure that I get back every day.
Good optics and high quality clothes for sure.

One thing I no longer tolerate are finicky rifles. Simple cartridges, low recoil and not the featherweight obsession that most are on just a nicely balanced accurate rifle.
Ditto on adjustable walking sticks, a pair of older Lekkis for me.

Ditto on a pad. I call nearly everything I hunt nowadays and sit in impromptuly selected patches of wet snow in our country. A cheap piece of thin closed cell pad is mostly for dry insulation rather than cushion.

Katoola micro spikes. Wish I'd have invented them, they are that good.

Not much equipment change. What used to work still does. Synthetic fleece was a wonderful invention! And yes, I wore wool for years - don't anymore.

Timing has changed. I'm a few steps slower, bust-ass recovery time is longer. I try not to carry 100 lb packs anymore- 70 is plenty. Those 12 mile pack-ins on a Friday night, kill a 'bou on Saturday or a.m Sunday, and be back out for work on Monday are past. I could make it by Wednesday, tho... smile Tho where I live right now, shooting is off - or not far from an ATV, snowmachine,or boat, tho I cheat with the latter and hike up to a couple miles back in - gets me away from the locals, generally.
Mark;
Thanks for the interesting reading on a still Saturday morning. I hope this finds you and yours doing well this time change weekend.

When I started to reply the first thing that occurred to me is that these days when I wander seriously off the beaten path I'm almost always solo as my main hunting partner moved away a decade or so ago. That and the aging process had most certainly caused me to modify how I've been hunting in the time since.

I believe that I can't add much that hasn't already been stated although my cyber friend BobinNH said it best "The thing I use more than anything else these days is my head." laugh

When I was in my '30's if a horse was standing all bunchy with it's ears back I might have figured it was my duty to educate it. Over time, experience and sober reconsideration - and since my birth date indicates my age now starts with a 5, I find that I no longer have the need to share my vast knowledge with any equine creatures. wink

If it's too hot out and the nearest road access is too far away for me to get all the meat out without spoiling, I can now simply wave at an animal and not cut a tag that year rather than killing myself ferrying packs of meat off the mountain. In the same vein I pay way, way more attention to the terrain going "into" a hunting area than I used to, as experience has taught me that if a trigger gets pulled I'll be carrying "out of" the same place.

My ankles and feet seem to enjoy wearing stiffer and higher boots these days, so now Meindl Canada Pro boots are the boots I've been running. After finally finding some to try on, I'd likely have bought Kenetrek if I'd been able to find a store here in BC that had them.

Depending again on how far I intend to hike on a given day, a 7lb rifle seems to be easier for me to manage than a 10lb one. These days I'm either packing a .270 or a .308 Norma, so I've not entirely made the switch to "kinder & gentler" rifles as yet. Since the Norma is a bit of a lucky rifle for me I'm not sure what the solution there will be, but as I can still do fair work with it that's a bridge I don't have to cross just yet.

I now carry reading glasses in my hunting pack, as experience has taught me that I can't read the screen on the Garmin my wife gave me without them.... frown

In the same way, a headlamp has proven to be a wonderful addition when gutting in low light conditions. Even though I've done that task many dozens of times, I now appreciate some added light to tasks that I once could squint my way through.

On the binocular part of the discussion I've been running some Minox 8x42 that came from a promo Doug had a few years back and I've been happy with the balance of weight, optics and comparatively low replacement cost if I should accidentally spindle them.

Anyway that's it for my list this morning Mark and thanks again for the thread and to all who've responded - I'll be looking into a few of the suggestions.

All the best to you and yours this weekend Mark.

Dwayne

Aleve - Trekking poles - 280 (no more mags) and patience
LRF. LRF got me interested in shooting "further". The latent function though is that the desire to shoot "further" has prompted me to shoot LOTS more that I did previously. I've gained a far better understanding of a bullet's flight path and how gravity and wind affect said path. That understanding pushed me back to using my .270, 7-08, and 243 when for 10yrs I carried a 300Win almost exclusively.

That extra shooting has made me a much better shot and generally speaking I don't have much doubt in the shots I take. THAT has made me a better hunter. I concentrate much more on using terrain and cover to get closer as well as using my eyes LOTS more than my legs, spending time trying to spot critters that haven't spotted me yet.
Interesting thread and refreshing because it is more in a sharing vein than some of the threads.

Probably the most important thing is the realization that there are generally 37 ways to skin a cat. Pick the method that works for you and have at it.

What I am drawn toward these days:
- Merino wool underwear and socks.

- Good quality boots - which will change by person depending on the boot make and your foot shape. These days I'm wearing a boot called a Fort Lewis by Danner, works well for me.

- Good glass, I love my Leica spotting scope and my Swaro rangefinder binos.

- I still walk a lot, but I do put more thought into it. Where as 10 or 20 years ago I would walk over a mountain just to see what was on the other side.

- I've always been able to shoot well, but now I am working at it and as this evolves I am enjoying myself.

- And good hunting partners, I would rather hunt alone than spend time with men of low character.

Originally Posted by BC30cal

When I was in my '30's if a horse was standing all bunchy with it's ears back I might have figured it was my duty to educate it. Over time, experience and sober reconsideration - and since my birth date indicates my age now starts with a 5, I find that I no longer have the need to share my vast knowledge with any equine creatures. wink

If it's too hot out and the nearest road access is too far away for me to get all the meat out without spoiling, I can now simply wave at an animal and not cut a tag that year rather than killing myself ferrying packs of meat

That is for sure. I have 20 years on you Brian. I broke out my last mule colt 10 years ago. When someone ask me to ride their horse or mule to see what the problem is,I decline.

I past on a lot more shots nowdays,stop hunting around 2-3 and go back to camp,start up the dutch oven and make a fine meal.

Most of my deer hunting last few seasons has been sitting in a climbing treestand waiting for 'em to present a shot. I hunt with a Ten Point crossbow.

Sherwood

[Linked Image]
Well, at 66, my equipment list has evolved a bit-

Binocs are Leica Geovid 10x42,eliminating separate rangefinder,
Scopes are 2.5-8, 3.5-10, some with CDS, all Leupold,
Rifles are mostly the same, but with upgraded stocks, triggers, bedding, free floating, etc., with accuracy and reliability #1 consideration
UTV instead of ATV quad, for taking hunting partner/wife along,
Reciever game hoist, for loading deer into the back of my truck when hunting alone,
Good GPS and cell phone,
Warm but lightweight clothing, with layering a priority,
A good pack that can be used for hauling meat or heads when necessary.
Barnes TSX bullets, for nearly everything.
Shooting sticks instead of bipods.
Hand and foot warmers when it's cold.
No more ground camping in tents- popup camper on 4WD truck now.

I remember going deer hunting when still young, and relatively inexperienced, with only a knife, rifle, and a few rounds of ammo. Ah, the good old days.....
For me, it's solid, reliable rifles that have first class triggers and simple 4X or 6X scopes. No magnums, just an '06, a .308 and a .280 do everything I need to do. Most of them are either full customs or highly modified factory barreled ones. My .308, for instance, is on it's 3rd stock.
Quality, much more user friendly, optics. My old B&L, 9X35 Zephurs haven't seen a day in the field for many years. Have learned to appreciate the small, light 6X class stuff and the various 8X modles. Added a couple of really good spotting scopes as well. Really like the big 82mm Nikon ED for long distance viewing.
Lots of mountaineering clothing. I've found that everything I have from Patagonia is worth every nickel I paid for it. Ditto on my Dahlgren socks and Kahtoola Crampons.
Quality packs that can handle loads. Never even close to regretting the cost of my Kifaru packs. Heck, I gave my nephew my back packing Mtn Hardware pack simple because my Late Season is alot more user friendly under load.
Yes, after a couple of tough days, it Tylenol Time. I've also learned to plan out my efforts more throughly. Above all, if what I'm doing isn't working do something else or do what I'm doing somewhere else. E
Merino wool, on the feet and next to the skin...I'm 100% sold on it. Works for me.

Good boots. Lightweight hikers work for me but I'm looking into something with more ankle support.

Trekking poles

My knees. After a surgery on each one, I've learned to take care of them.(see above item) Wish I'd learned earlier

Exercise. In my younger days, I didn't think I needed it. It's about all that keeps me going some days.

ThermaRest NeoAir. Insulates and gets me off the hard ground.

Something to sit on that's soft. CrazyCreek or small ThermaRest inflatable or similar. Sitting on rocks and logs just doesn't cut it anymore.

Icy/Hot patches

Lighter weight rifles. Toted a 10 pounder last year, not going to this year.

Cognac

+1 on Ibuprofen

Oh, and a good knife and good pack. I'm not dragging deer out of the woods anymore.
Really enjoyed this thread. I've learned a lot of things on the internet sites like this one from a lot of people I would have never been able to meet otherwise. I've gained much insite and knowledge on gear and what works as well as what falls short. without going to the expense of "finding out for myself ".Money and time limit all of us, so when you can learn from others who BTDT you make less mistakes and save time to be where you want too. I thought about how things have changed for me. 1. merino wool socks,just can't say enough good about them 2. 9 1/2 W GI desert boots fit so well and work so nice for me I still can't get over it. 3. 9x35 Leupold porros and the Redfield 10x40's I have replaced them with sure take the eye strain out for me.My Slumberjack mummy bag with Quallowfill sits home now and the well lofted Ledge rectangular bag gets the nod these days. 4. Still use the same old knife. 5.A comfortable camp, as many have allready said ,I don't need to suffer anymore either.6. My Garmin GPS with downloaded maps where I'm hunting, goes everywhere with me. 7. Rifles have come and gone, I still have my favorites and starting really wonder why I don't have a huge sale on the excess. 8. My Toyota Tacoma gets me there and back with the least fuel expense of any truck I've ever owned and that's nice. 9. I try real hard to get atleast 1 real well prepared warm meal every day I'm hunting.

Like others have mentioned I've slowed down , glass more and move less. It's paid off in better animals taken with a skilled stalk. Only thread on the whole fire that there isn't some kind of pissing match going on in. Pleased to be part of it. Magnum Man
Lots of good stuff here. Some comments on the same stuff, from somebody who just turned 60:

There are a bunch of systems to help getting a dead animal in the back of the pickup. They don't matter as much as hunting closer and uphill from the damn pickup.

Have been using extendable shooting sticks for a while, both for shooting and a hiking staff. Used to be addicted to 2-legged sticks, but these days kinda like the Bog-Pod tripod with grip-head for both glassing and taking photos. Won't haul it way back, but within a reasonable distance it's the most versatile system I've found.

I always spent the money for good boots, but really like the lighter high-tech models available today. Recently I mostly wear Meindl Lightweights and Kennetrek 400's.

Packs are also lighter and more comfortable. I use a Kifaru when it's necessary to have the pack on me all day, but also have started using the Neet-Kart game cart with in-line wheels.
Really a nifty system, as long as you're not hunting more than 2-3 miles back. Anymore I don't as much, preferring to find hidey-holes other people pass by, rather than hiking 5-10 miles each way. (Above all, however, I like other people's horses, but refuse to support horses for 12 months and use them 2 months.)

Have pared down the weight of everything else, whether clothing, rifles, scopes, or myself. The last gets harder every year, but I do what I can, both in diet and exercise.

Have also found over the years that a Camper model Swiss Army knife (for deer) and a larger Browning folder with both knife and saw blades (animals bigger than deer), along with a small diamond hone, will do most anything needed on big game or in camp.

Some backcountry hunters say they've started weighing every little thing they carry, from the pack to the emergency tarp to whatever. Gee! Those of us who packpacked in the 1970's did the same thing. Luckily today there's even lighter stuff.

A lot of people make fun of using lighter rifles, saying the hunter should lose the weight instead. In my experience that's BS, for two reasons: It's harder to stay lighter as you get older, and when you do your legs and arms still aren't what they used to be, even when you've worked out regularly for decades. There are also great lightweight rifles these days, with the weight saved in the action and stock rather than the barrel, so they can be shot well offhand, or any other field position.

Add all the weight savings up and they can make a 60-year-old fell ALMOST like a 50-year-old.

Originally Posted by tmick
Aleve - Trekking poles - 280 (no more mags) and patience

Yep aleve or better yet a cox 2 inhibitor like Celebrex and hiking poles, plus a lighter rifle in 260, Wool, fine cognac , make the back country doable as I age.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Add all the weight savings up and they can make a 60-year-old fell ALMOST like a 50-year-old.

Attitude is half the battle. "60 is the new 40."

Originally Posted by smokepole

Make sure you try this stuff to see how well it burns. I know a guy who carried it around for years only to find out it wouldn't burn. Some fabrics and fabric softeners have pretty good fire retardants, it turns out.

Exactly. You have to collect the lint after you dry--cottons--blue jeans, flannel shirts, t-shirts, cotton socks, etc. That lint burns like crazy. The rest barely glows.
Best thread here in a while!
For myself I have been battling major heatlh problems
since last year.Still on going so I have not got to hunt
like I used to but.........
I did get my "Campfire Rifle" bought here on the Fire all
set up and ready to go when , if I can get back out in the woods
again.
Weatherby Mark V ultra light weight 30-06 from Wes 7x57
All Cerakoted and Micro slicked by Hired Gun
Leupold VXIII 1.75-6x32 HEAVY DUPLEX for these OLD EYES!
still under 7 lbs all up I LOVE THIS GUN!!!!
I still am old school with Duofold long johns and old thin
G.I.wool socks.But they still work.My old Buck folder I have toted EVER DAY for 20+ years still handles all my cutting.
Now if I could find a WAY FOR My Ruger RSI 77 stainless 7mm-08
to lose some weight!!!!!
AMRA
Celebrex.

lighter everything, warmer & fewer clothes, great boots, & with the exception of the GPS, gear that requires less fiddling & upkeep.
Lots of great stuff here-thx for all the thoughts and comments.

I'll only add that for me a couple of other things have changed in that I enjoy the outdoors more now than I did when I was younger. Earlier on often times I was more into finding the game and cutting the tag than I was about enjoying the outdoors.

Then I went thru the "tape phase", you know gotta measure everything and all that gackola.

Now I enjoy to go, I enjoy seeing new country every year and hunt the same old places less and less and explore new country even more.

Maybe I'm evolving into "holistic harry"...grin

Thoughts anyone?

And I still like to fill my elk tag mainly to have a years supply of meat for my wife and I and our G-kids.

Dober
Mark:
Thanks again for the thread and again I trust all is well with your clan this fine Sunday morning.

As far as you turning into a "Holistic Harry", well only you can say for certain Mark, but there might be aspects of it that aren't all bad. grin

One thing that JB wrote awhile back really stuck with me and that was that past a certain age, we know that next season is going to start in what seems like only a couple months anyway, so there is less pressure on the present season.

Well it was words to that effect anyway Mark, but certainly for me it seems that most years are 4-6 months long these days and time is accelerating at an almost alarming rate. Good grief, it's the second week of March already - you know? eek

All the best to you and yours in the upcoming week Mark.

Dwayne
Lifes great Dwayne and hope alls well in your camp as well.

Dober
Originally Posted by yukonal
Originally Posted by smokepole

Exactly. You have to collect the lint after you dry--cottons--blue jeans, flannel shirts, t-shirts, cotton socks, etc. That lint burns like crazy. The rest barely glows.

That is a good idea sir.
Whenever we get new flannel sheets I always save the lint from the first couple of trips through the wash. Its like the dry version of gasoline.
Mark,

My new trophies are the biggest does I can find, whether whitetails, mule deer or pronghorn, taken with interesting rifles while hunting with Eileen. If we can get into a few gamebirds on the same day or week, and maybe see some nice country (especially at sunrise and sunset), plus get a nap in during midday, so much the better.
At 58 the reality of just how many more years I will get to enjoy an annual hunt with my hunting partner (my 54 year old brother) has become something to consider, so I try to maximize the enjoyment and experiences of each season more than I did previously. We always have enjoyed deer hunting as our big game of choice and that won`t change in this lifetime. I take it a bit easier on the body nowadays, not in such a big rush to run one down.
We talk about doing more bird hunting, always a couple years down the road, but haven't had "time" for that yet. I can see the day when we spend the fall shooting a few grouse, perhaps chasing whitetails, trout fishing and just enjoying the campfire. Not a bad way to finish off a hobby that has gone on 45 years already!
I have worked towards simplifying things, rifle-wise, as the desire to fiddle with the latest has about left me. Currently I have a stainless model 70 in 270 winchester, waiting for a mcmillan stock. Talley rings and a 3.5x10 leupold finish it out. Generally virtually the same basic setup I had 15 years, and many rifle trades ago, so I guess I have come about full circle! No more magnums for me and rifles can be too light to shoot decently in the field, for me. I honestly expect it to be "about" my last "build".
Now I typically take a small backpack when I leave camp well before first light, stay out all day, and maybe even take a little nap in the midday as the trip wears on. It helps reduce the trips (miles) back to the truck.
Lighter weight clothes are more the norm, with an extra shirt in the pack in case it turns ugly.
Funny how that works, Mark. I've noticed over the years if the hunting is slow that day, I have a tendency to check out new country just because it's there.
Or I'll notice something fascinating, like a bird of prey on the prowl and watch that instead of doing nothing but look for game.
With two weeks to scout when I come to Montana, I spend more than I really should doing the above instead of just focusing on hunting.
I found out a long time ago that I'd rather go home with an unfilled tag than with anything less than what I really want. E
Mule Deer has a point about supporting horses for 12 months to use for two. However,I sure enjoy them or mules in the summer yet.They let me still get into the back country on the warm sunny days where I couldn't walk to any more. Maybe sit out a thunder storm under a pauncho and then drown a few worms for brookies that make the evening meal. Sit on a mountain pass over looking 50 miles in any direction with no sounds of horns,sirens ATV's or blaring misic in camp sights.Make a small comfortable camp in some off trail secluded valley and watch elk with thier new born calves come out to graze or bighorn lambs frolicing on a left over patch of snow.

Sometimes during an elk hunt,I might take a day off and just ride to enjoy the country side and scenary.

Even just a ride around home for 4-5 miles soothes me, gets the kinks out of my rope and recharges my batteries although anymore it seems they can't take a full charge.

In the last few years,some of my best days in the field didn't involve killing something or having a gun in my hand.

I don't pay much attention to gear anymore.Being just shy of 70,what I have will last me the rest of my hunting career and since it has worked for so many years, it don't need fixing.
A more comfortable camp/cot.
The ability to resist the temptation to shoot a raghorn bull elk in a hellhole.
Better optics to offset worse eyesight.
More accurate rifle with less weight.
Vicodin.
Better boots.
GPS.
Walking less and hunting better.
Google Earth/ Land status map sites.
Spot II GPS Messaging.
More patience.
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
A more comfortable camp/cot.
The ability to resist the temptation to shoot a raghorn bull elk in a hellhole.
Better optics to offset worse eyesight.
More accurate rifle with less weight.
Vicodin.
Better boots.
GPS.
Walking less and hunting better.
Google Earth/ Land status map sites.
Spot II GPS Messaging.
More patience.

I definitely agree with the patience thing. That attribute has certainly increased kill success over the years and made it much more predictable. Patience comes from experience and experience from practical learning. Definitely a good thing.
At 36 I am much less blood thirsty than I was in my teens. I also measure how good a hunt was by the fun I had rather than the bag.
Good binoculars

Lighter rifles & much less concern with the cartridge/caliber they're chambered in. So many work, so very well.

I didn't read all 8 pages so I don't know if this has already been said. The older I get (pushing 50) the less I am concerned about gadgets. Give me my 7600 or Sako, a compass, a knife, and a drag rope and I'm happy.
At 65 I find I pretty well still do what I've always done. I do have a lot more appreciation for the best glass available because my eyes aren't what they used to be. Naps are good, but then, they always have been. I am still a slut and will shoot any accurate rifle. I am a little more inclined to be very precise where the bullet goes, as much for the table quality as for the not having to chase it down very far aspect. I appreciate warm dry clothes more. Hand warmers are good after all the bad things I've done to my hands over the years.

I think I would like a 4 lb 20 gauge O/U more than my 6 pounder. I would love to live long enough to see the next generation of bullets. Maybe I will, things are improving so fast now.

Edited to add that I really, really appreciate well prepared game, and really enjoy killing it and then making it the best that it can be.
Another thing that allways goes in my pack these days is an empty 5 oz tuna can. I punched holes under the rim of it and ran wire from one side to the other for a grate. US military fuel tabs will heat my stainless Sierra cup full of water short order while taking a break. hot tea, vienna sausages, or cup a noodles beats a cold donkey dick sandwich evertime.Sometimes it just don't take a lot to make you happy. Magnum man
laugh.... Really?

Jayco
At 50 I started going to Blackpowder more and more as a slow down and a way of spending more time in the field. So for me - really good glass, black powder, more time on birds with a good dog, really cherish camp evenings with the guys - now a good weekend does not mean a limit of birds or bringing home a deer or a moose.
Didn't enjoy it less when I was younger but I certainly know I am enjoying it now...:)

I used to feel like I was getting away with something when spending extra time on hunts than my compadres, like it was an indulgence. But am thinking it is more design than that, certainly not of the kind I can take credit for, and the nature of the thing is exploring, understanding and appreciating...not too difficult a task...:)

A few of the things I have come to appreciate:

Taking more photos - It still seems to me that a 5 day hunt goes by in about 3 1/2 hours. By taking more pictures, I slow down and appreciate the hunt more.

Good boots- I am enjoying my Schnees Beartooth

Merino Wool - Big fan here. It just plain makes me more comfortable.

For bird hunting - a quality, well balanced shotgun. My Beretta fits me like a well broken in pair of leather gloves.

The resevoir drinking systems (Camelback-like). It is so much easier and thus I drink more water. Unless the tube freezes.... eek

A couple of fellas commented on taking naps during the day. I totally get that! I mean we bust it so hard day in and day out when I get out there I like to go at a pace that my body will appreciate. When I guided in Mex the native guides pretty much always took a mid day nap.

I like to pick and choose my hours and for that matter days of the season that I want to go hard. Used to be I'd go hard all day, as many days of the season as possible. Not anymore, I pick and choose my days cause I can.

And on a longer hunt I have absolutely no issue with taking a day off in the middle of the hunt or a half day. Kind of nice I've come to a place where I can allow myself to do it.

Have a super day all!

Dober
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Damn reading glasses....
While I don't have the experience of most of you, I've come to appreciate a couple of things since I've started...

Glass (scopes/binos) - my eyes have never been great

Filson and Smartwool

Good boots

I'm just now getting into the lighter rifles. My go to has always been my LH Model 70 in 6.5x55. Now I just want to lighten it up a bit... Although my new K95 in 270 might be a favorite if I can ever get out and sight it in...
Naps have always worked well for me. I think that I surprised my guide last time out, though: he sure took lots of pictures of me napping. Silly Germans...

FC
Originally Posted by RWE

Damn reading glasses....

Funny. Was trying to read my GPS in the dark last fall and discovered my night vision had pretty much taken it in the shorts. Early onset cataracts and other eye issues kicking my butt.

Probably mentioned in this thread but try to keep some high end pain pills in the pack after getting hit in the Canadian boonies with kidney stones and no warning. Buy wool, ingrams, Kifaru packs and go hunting.
At 50 this May, I decided to get a small compact rifle for deer. I think A Marlin x7y youth. A small gun, 1x4 Leopold heavy cross hairs. I need to go further in the woods these days to get away from other bait hunters and atv's. I also take Friday off more to go hunt and fish instead of a weekend. I don't have the energy anymore to drive till midnight to my land, hunt all Saturday and Sunday to drive 243 mi. back and to work on Monday. I also started using a blind instead of freezing in a deer stand 15' in the air.
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by las
Drugs. smile

Yes. Plural. Cocktail form. Yes. Not just Ibu, but aspirin and tylenol too. And taken proactively (ahead of time) as well.

And stiff-soled boots. (Columbia Bug-a-boo variations have been good for me.)

I like pulley blocks and/or come-alongs. 4WD.

4X scopes are great (for shorter pack outs grin )

mid-range power (30-06ish) stuff works just as good now as bigger stuff did a few years ago! whistle

When I was younger I had a stronger back and a weaker mind. Now, I may not have a stronger mind, but my weaker back suggests that my mind is relatively stronger. grin

That pretty well covers it for me too. smile Although one muight argue the relative benefits of weaker/stronger minds when it comes to packing chit out.... smile
A lightweight (alum frame) folding stool/chair. So as a ease along and find a place I want to observe, I position it, sit comfortably/still and watch for a while. I find it much more effective and comfortable, than sitting on the ground or finding a downed tree/log which are usually not in the position for what I'm trying to do.

A couple of fellas commented on taking naps during the day. I totally get that! I mean we bust it so hard day in and day out when I get out there I like to go at a pace that my body will appreciate. When I guided in Mex the native guides pretty much always took a mid day nap.

I like to pick and choose my hours and for that matter days of the season that I want to go hard. Used to be I'd go hard all day, as many days of the season as possible. Not anymore, I pick and choose my days cause I can.

And on a longer hunt I have absolutely no issue with taking a day off in the middle of the hunt or a half day. Kind of nice I've come to a place where I can allow myself to do it.

Have a super day all!

Dober

Good point on picking the times/days to go hard, or go, for that matter. I don't waste energy, money and brownie points(!) hunting or fishing when it is not good (i.e. prime time), unless I just have nothing else to do or no other option on when to go.
Long ago I stopped hunting during most of october for island blacktails, focussed on the first couple of weeks in september and then just waited for the rut to start up! Same would go for whitetails, assuming I could hunt the rut.
I also don't go hard in the middle of the day unless things are really prime, just can't keep my attention keyed up from dawn to dusk and find my mind wandering (more than usual!) and use the time to rest the body up a bit.
I migh add that the warm clothing I carry for those very early morning glassing sessions make me very comfortable out in the mountains when I want to take a nap on the mountain in the middle of the day. Besides, it saves walking back to the Jeep, and walking back out there in the evening. E
I can't add to this thread, but there's a dang good list of stuff here.

I will say that watching my Dad go from his mid 30s to being 52, I've noticed him putting more stock in his boots, and he always carries one of those bleacher seats for glassing-and I always forget one.

That... and he just laughs when he processes deer/elk with the knives I get him, because he'd never used blades that "good".

And he can still kick my butt up and down the hill.
Just like to hear a bit about what equipment you've come to appreciate as you've matured (IE gotten older).

Dober

The gym, barbells, pull-ups, push-ups, running shoes, nordic track, concept2 rower and a stepper machine. Didn't need any of those things back when.
I've tried to make sure I had enough supplies to stay out all day regardless of what conditions I ran into. That meant packing a lunch most days.
I used to pack all kinds of crap in my lunch- candy bars, pastries, and sugary stuff believing it would give me quick energy. Now, I just pack a sandwich or two and a couple apples along with an energy bar or two and a couple canteens of water and I'm good to go all day long.
My son and I seldom come back to camp before dark and he usually ends up eating one of my sandwiches, so it works out fine and I even can take a nap in the field if I choose since there is no hurry to get back to the truck.

We also carry radios everywhere in case we get something down or we get into trouble and need help. They have become almost indispensable.

My son carries a smart phone which has come in handy in a lot of ways. We have used the GPS on his smart phone to find a spot by following an overgrown road, we looked on the internet how to salt a bear hide and what kind of salt to use (I had never done this before getting my only bear a couple years ago), and when we get an animal down, we send a pic of it to the rest of the party since we are usually too far apart for our radios to reach most days.

Bob
The importance of red wine in ones' diet.

It assists ballistic decisions and considerations immensely.
Originally Posted by HughW
At 50 I started going to Blackpowder more and more as a slow down and a way of spending more time in the field. So for me - really good glass, black powder, more time on birds with a good dog, really cherish camp evenings with the guys - now a good weekend does not mean a limit of birds or bringing home a deer or a moose.
at 60 it gets better to pass a bow shot on a cow 2 miles from camp to get back and have a toddy by the fire.
Originally Posted by Maverick940
115 cm ice axe.

Hey Mav, did you ever find a girlfriend on that online site? smirk
Over the years, (this will be my 55th elk season) I have upgraded my gear. Gortex, Ziess binos, spotting scope, and have a new Conquest on the way. I have had enough time in the woods to figure out what works for me. I am still using my 1966 300 Win Mag, quality boots, and day pack and have added a GPS. I hunt more carefully (my success is higher) and start well before daylight every day. Naps are mandatory. I work hard at staying fit but do have some of the maladies of old age. I love the woods and the mountains and appreciate every days I am allowed to spend in them.
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Naps have always worked well for me. I think that I surprised my guide last time out, though: he sure took lots of pictures of me napping. Silly Germans...

FC

Naps are a highly valued part of my elk hunts, providing the sun and temps cooperate. We call it "Looking for the perfect aspen tree."

Nothing like reaching a nice spot, then reclining back against an aspen or rock and taking a snooze with the sun warming you. Heaven.

Spent the day here in 2008, snacking, reading, sleeping and repeating:

[Linked Image]

Ended the day on the slope in the background:
[Linked Image]

Last year I spent much of the day here, nestled in a stand of scrub oak out of the picture to the left.

[Linked Image]

Ended up here:

[Linked Image]

The day before I spent several hours in the truck, watching the sage, reading, snoozing and listening to the Broncos game.

Knew just where to go after the game...
[Linked Image]

I like Filson outdoor wear. I've had it with synthetics. I like the moisture control I get from natural materials. It is heavier.

Only Euro Optics for my hunting: spotters are Leica, scopes S&B, Zeiss etc, bins are Zeiss F Ls.

Better rifles too. Blaser & Steyr my main big game guns. Anschutz for rimfire.

Luckily life has been good to be able to afford all this.:-)
In general, I feel we all should be getting smarter in how we hunt and what we use. At 60, I have gotten to the point where each hunt is to be appreciated for the totality of the experience. Punching the tag isn't the only goal.

As for equipment, I have a philosophy that if you find something that works for you, consider buying a replacement.
By the time you need another, they've either discontinued it, changed its design or some other factor.

The older I get, the more intolerant I am of stuff that doesn't work or live up to the manufacturers claim.

Two new things for me to look forward to next season are:
the Forbes 24B and the 7x42 Leica HD Ultra's.

I forgot one thing. I find it more important to continue my daily workout. Its easier to stay in shape than fighting to get it back.
Nap on the ground, hell even sitting there in temps above 35 or so in Pa and you will have a good chance of getting more than a rest. I've got back up and taken off 10 plus ticks and found more when I crawled into bed. You can feel them moving on you or wake up and one is partially engorged.

Had Lymes once and it flairs backup at least once a year. Spring Turkey is the worst, followed by October Grouse.
I noticed my truck is stuffed with little extras now days like a bigger cot, bulky but soft pad and a heater for cold nights. Also added a game cart to my list of needed items.

I traded off my 300 WSM and 338 Win Mag. now using my Tikka 30-06 "super" lite and VX-2 2-7x33 CDS weights in a 6 lb 14 oz. Still using my old Zeiss ClassiC's 10x40 but am looking for a set of Swarovski el 8x32's or 8x42's.

Originally Posted by bigwhoop
... I forgot one thing. I find it more important to continue my daily workout. Its easier to stay in shape than fighting to get it back.

Amen to that brother!
Getting older makes me appreciate the hunting that keeps me younger. As long as I'm doing that, the eqipment I'm using doesn't matter that much. I've always liked good boots, clothing, optics, rifles, bows, etc.

Oh wait.. about 10 years ago, I discovered wet naps. Those were a game changer for sure.
is that like a wet dream?
Compared to TP, snow, or leaves .. Yes! You can also takes a great whores bath with a wet nap.
As I've got older, without a doubt the best thing I've added to hunting is my gang of four.

[Linked Image]
Boots too my knees are feeling the effects of my age hardscrabble are my choice. My sons and their friends makes it much easier to get a elk back to truck these days does that count:) and ADVIL. Honestly I think I enjoy the sunrise more these days. I enjoy the jokes and banter more I am less serious about getting my animal serious for my son or nephews or hunting partners kids. Still bowhunting for elk we just start our hunt earlier before the whippet snappers get up. What the hay i can just about take a nap standing up now
I think the biggest adjustment I've made is attitude, and by that I mean knowing when to say when. After wrestling with the facts for a month last friday I pulled the plug on an elk hunt I had been thinking non stop about with a good friend for a long time now. I just know my messed up lungs (pulmonary hypertension) won't make a 10,000 ft elevation hunt anymore. I'll still have a full fall season but for about 10 days my mind will be elsewhere.
Other than that it's all been covered here. Lighter gear, slower pace, hunting smarter etc etc. The one thing I will add is I stash stuff in the woods preseason.Foam Seats...a piece of tarp....I've even stashed raingear and water in a mostly buried tote. Pick it up at the end of season when I'm done.
Great thread Mark.....
Well, my hunting techniques have definitely changed over the years. I think I hunt much "smarter" now and I get an elk or deer most every trip to the woods. Better equipment has certianly been a huge help. I can remember many back pack bow hunts in the Gila during the early 80's. No water proof gear and it would rain for days at a time. Now staying dry is not too difficult.

Get some good comfortable sleep so that I can hunt till the last day of 8-10 day hunts.

Since I play the draw in several states I find myself hunting new country from time to time. For this, a GPS makes those mile or two trips back to camp after dark easier.

As I've gotten older I find that I enjoy the trip and good friends much more. Have gotten more enjoyment from watching my son take deer and elk than all of my own.
John
I've learned what the gimmicks are and aren't. I use more synthetic and wool for clothing and can afford to do so now. I couldn't care less if it's camo or not.

30-06 size cases can handle anything I'm going to hunt and the .243 is sufficent for more than 95% of it.

Scouting has become fun. As much as the shooting itself.
I'm 68 and hunt deer exclusively from a ladder stand over hay, or green fields, cut overs or in oak bottoms. I wouldn't hunt without a thick foam pad to sit on and a Primos trigger stick. Took me years to figur out that I see many more critters with binocs.

1. Always have T10 and T15 Torx screwdrivers handy.

2. Record keeping is important for the handloader.

3. Hand Warners are my best buddy when hunting along with two pair of lite wool socks.

4. Get your wife involved with shooting, hunting and reloading. (Makes it easier to get the money)

5. Get your kids involved and then grand kids will follow.

6. A down vest is great.
I am 64. I don't hunt as far from a road as I did when I was young. I try to find the places other hunters pass by. I still like to track elk but can't track all day. I don't shoot deer and elk every year like I did when I was young. I just enjoy being out hunting and putting the crosshairs on an animal and then not pulling the trigger. I have not shot a deer in 8 years, just enjoy hunting them and knowing that I could have taken one. I also like my light weight rifle and my 8x32 leica binoculars. When I was young, packing a 9 pound rifle did not bother me.
Moose hunting is my main game. Having a strapping son-in-law and another good friend (younger) to do the bull work when one is down. Not so worried anymore about sleeping in when there is rain on the roof early in the morning.

Used to be eager to fish during mid-day. Now the younger ones are gung ho to go and don't mind preparing the fish for the table. Last Fall I didn't fish at all and only went out once the year before. On a mild afternoon I can take a book and a canvas arm chair out into the sun where I can read, doze and glass the far shorelines of the lake.

Jim
I think another thing that I have changed is my attidude. I am very comfortable in my hunting skin and don't or rarely care what others think or say. I have my gear that I use and my guns or bows of choice. I don't need to brag or even care to hear others brag, I prefer a good humorus article to that of another how to elk hunt 101 for the 100 hundreth time. I am more opnionated so I offer less free advice unless its someone I know. I guess I feel kind of liberated regarding hunting I am going to do it my way and enjoy it right or wrong grin Maybe getting cantankourusis is alright....
Originally Posted by ehunter
I think another thing that I have changed is my attidude. I am very comfortable in my hunting skin and don't or rarely care what others think or say. I have my gear that I use and my guns or bows of choice. I don't need to brag or even care to hear others brag, I prefer a good humorus article to that of another how to elk hunt 101 for the 100 hundreth time. I am more opnionated so I offer less free advice unless its someone I know. I guess I feel kind of liberated regarding hunting I am going to do it my way and enjoy it right or wrong grin Maybe getting cantankourusis is alright....

Ya, that too.

The last few years I've begun using satellite maps to select places for possible placement of ladder stands. I've also begun charting deer seen from each stand by day and time and weather conditions. I've also found that some areas are totally unproductive during daylight and the stands must be removed and placed at other fields.

Seems like at 69 I'm different. I still find immense satisfaction when my world condenses down to being nothing more than the cross-hairs settling on the spot or having a perfect move with a shotgun to the point of being able to pick out individual feathers on a game bird right before the trigger is hit. When it all seems to happen in slow motion.

However, I find little time for those lacking respect for the life they have taken. How some can stuff a game bird in their coat with the same attitude as if they picked up a penny is incomprehensible. Same as with those who pull a Deer out of the back of a truck and let it slam onto the ground with no more thought than if it was a broken piece of wood.

In the course of a day it's not necessary to shoot a lot, but shooting still is part of why I go.
Last two trips out to Wyoming, I spent as much time "guiding" as I did for my own hunting and still managed to kill good bucks...but helped a 70+ year old pal to his largest buck ever,and his largest pronghorn....got as big a kick out of that as I did my own.

I now get calls from younger tournament fishermen,asking me to fish local tournaments because I know the lakes after years of fishing them,(which is a curious turn of events)...and even helped a young man from Maine through the Eastern Division finals back here on his way to the Classic.It's fun to pass on some of the experience gained,and see others be suucessful.

I have a grandson now,and hope to do the same with him...he has a pre 64 M70 FW 270 but doesn't know it yet. smile
I guess I've reversed the trend of some and now prefer my much lighter and water proof and warmer cabelas mt050 7 in 1 parka over my filson double macinaw cruiser. Same with my mt050 pants, rain gear for warm wet weather and wicking under wear. Love the microtex lite pants and shirts and just layer for cold weather. Kenetreck boot are now my only hunting boot. Switched to a tc encore with the flex tech stock to address recoil issues on a bad shoulder rather than go to a lighter caliber. I us a hiking staff quite often, ((cut and dried sapling) for both rough terrain and also as shooting rest. I carry extra reading glasses in my pack. I guess I have a ton of things that have proven useful over time.
Electrolyte replacements. Heed brand powders added to water are not full of sugar, easy on the stomach and give a nice boost and keeps cramps down. The hammer gel is good too.

Swaro 8.5 EL. I feel blind without em.

Thin outer windproof shell with layers of wool inside.

Clothes that fit me just right. I finally took them to a tailor and it made a world of difference. I should have done that years ago. It was cheap.

No more neck straps for anything. Ever.

Smaller blade knives 3" or under. I appreciate a finger guard more also.
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
Moose hunting is my main game. Having a strapping son-in-law and another good friend (younger) to do the bull work when one is down. Not so worried anymore about sleeping in when there is rain on the roof early in the morning.

Used to be eager to fish during mid-day. Now the younger ones are gung ho to go and don't mind preparing the fish for the table. Last Fall I didn't fish at all and only went out once the year before. On a mild afternoon I can take a book and a canvas arm chair out into the sun where I can read, doze and glass the far shorelines of the lake.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Hope you've survived winter in good shape! Will see you soon at the range, I hope.

Jim and I share some similar statuses: 1)We are the same age (he didn't tell his, so I won't give it away -- though we, by far and away surpass any others who've dared to reveal theirs!); 2)We are members at the same range; 3)We both like some extra power for things like moose and bear; and 4)We both like to tell lies -- (read: exaggerate) about our families when we see each other! Jim (in case you're keeping score) I have 2 great-grandkids with 2 more on the way (that is GREAT-grandkids)!

This thread is fabulous! I concur with a great deal that's been covered already, so don't really have much to add.

Some things mentioned that I'll give a "thumbs-up" to:

1)I use Google Earth for 3D maps of the areas I hunt. I print them off on my computer of course. The main area of my current bear hunts were done by Google in July, 2011 just a day or so after I started baiting for bear. I can plainly see my van's tire tracks across several fields (I know they were mine because I am the only person to go there -- with permission -- using a vehicle. It borders on a vast wilderness, and scouting this whole area using Google has enable me to plan where to setup stands and bait. Talk about saving steps!!!

2)Light rifle: a T3 Lite in 9.3 X 62 is now used for 65% of my hunting. Weight with scope is 7.2 lbs. Yeah, it has the power of a .338 Win Mag or .375 H&H, depending on how any of these are loaded.

But I differ with some who's favorites are so similar in performance that they could close their eyes and pick anyone that would do the same things.

I like variety, both in type of action and cartridge. Ergo: at least one Big Bore that can be loaded for anything that walks, or downloaded for fun and games. It also makes BIG holes that you can see (without 8 X 42 bins) in paper and animals.

Then I keep a .22LR and a 12-gauge just in case something shows up on our back deck that I've not seen before... like last week's possum!

Thanks for sharing guys!

Bob

www.bigbores.ca
Hi Bob,

Long time no see. I haven't been to the rifle range much this winter. Right now I'm waiting for the wind to drop.

I'm not reluctant to mention my age, will be 77 in mid-June.

For 10 or 12 years I've used a .338 Win mag. and it is a thumper. Last Fall I used a .300 WSM, Win. 70 Super Grade. Didn't need it but it was so pretty and the price was right so it came home with me. Once it got home I would have felt bad if it wasn't hunted. Collaborated on a young cow and it did well with 168 Gr. Bergers.

Unfortunately no grandkids, one daughter is in her 50's and single, the other is married but unable. Just the way the cookie crumbled so I just enjoy what I have.

Hopefully if our paths cross at the right time we can get together for coffee. All the best.

Jim
I've quit running because my left knee blows up on me--I've drained it myself two times this year and have had doc's drain it three time. I'm starting to make the connection.

I like particular rifles now more than the chamberings (what?!! shocked ). And I have only a few in such pedestrian chamberings as 284 Win, 30/06, 350 RM, 375 Ruger. Downhill, are a 223AI, 223, and 204, 17 HMR, and 22.

Glasses are Leica 8x32s with a Geovid 15x56 on a tripod. Zeiss spotter.

Clothes are 20 y/o KOM wools with merinos or silks and down, or light wools with syn's. Boots are Cabelas Mountain Hikers (light) or more traditional Alico mountain boots (heavy).

And I like fishing and sitting in a boat with good company better and better. grin
I have sure enjoyed this thread,and I can relate to most that has been said here..d
I trust me, more than ever before.
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
I've quit running because my left knee blows up on me--I've drained it myself two times this year and have had doc's drain it three time. I'm starting to make the connection.

I like particular rifles now more than the chamberings (what?!! shocked ). And I have only a few in such pedestrian chamberings as 284 Win, 30/06, 350 RM, 375 Ruger. Downhill, are a 223AI, 223, and 204, 17 HMR, and 22.

Clothes are 20 y/o KOM wools with merinos or silks and down, or light wools with syn's. Boots are Cabelas Mountain Hikers (light) or more traditional Alico mountain boots (heavy).

And I like fishing and sitting in a boat with good company better and better. grin

Wow, drained it 3 times solo? You are Officialy invited to my elk, deer, and bear camps....bear camp is next. Starts May 15, let me know if you kneed directions....(pun intended.)

Originally Posted by MarlinMark
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Wow, drained it 3 times solo? You are Officialy invited to my elk, deer, and bear camps....bear camp is next. Starts May 15, let me know if you kneed directions....(pun intended.)

Have needles; will travel. laugh
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Last two trips out to Wyoming, I spent as much time "guiding" as I did for my own hunting and still managed to kill good bucks...but helped a 70+ year old pal to his largest buck ever,and his largest pronghorn....got as big a kick out of that as I did my own.

I now get calls from younger tournament fishermen,asking me to fish local tournaments because I know the lakes after years of fishing them,(which is a curious turn of events)...and even helped a young man from Maine through the Eastern Division finals back here on his way to the Classic.It's fun to pass on some of the experience gained,and see others be suucessful.

I have a grandson now,and hope to do the same with him...he has a pre 64 M70 FW 270 but doesn't know it yet. smile

Come teach me some of that chit,Bob.......Starved in Idaho.....

You have to admit,that was pretty arrogant.....

Jayco
What a waste of skin you are.....
grin

So,I'm off ignore again?..REALLY.......

Your off your vagisal swypes again,right?

Put me back on ignore like a man and carry on....Don't try and fight Bobs fights,you can't fight your own.....And you have shot 36 Elk with what cartridge?

Jayco
[Linked Image]
Ingwe almighty......

1-How do you compare yourself to say Jack Achtikson?(SP) from Montana?
2- Have you shot 36 Elk with one caliber?
3-And final.........Who don't you suck off to be cool?

Your always fighting or trying to fight someone elses fight and you can't even back your experiences up,like 36 elk with one caliber your buddy John say's it takes....

With all do respect.....Your the biggest chicken chit here refusing to answer and "Claiming" I'm on ignore which obviosly isn't true.

As are esteemed leeder say's.....GFY or put up and answer.

Your old buddy.....
Logcutter, what you are obviously "starving for" is a freaking brain cell and a clue.
Little JG

Answer this one question honestly.......Do you think it takes several animals down (36 or more) to see if a caliber is worth it's weightt for hunting as JB said?

Answer that honestly.....

Seems I am the only one to question it.

Jayco
Show me the actual quote, or better yet a link to the actual quote.
k.....Little harder on an Android but I will get it....

Jayco
Really.......To hard to quote on a phone but every thing below this is a quote from JB.....

With the .338 and elk part of my skepticism comes from a survey on the Campfire several years ago--after yet another post proclaiming the greatness of the .338. Turned out he had shot one elk with the .338.

So I asked everybody else to post their experience with the .338. It turned out that very few had taken more than a dozen animals with the cartridge, and the average was between 4 and 5. In my experience, a dozen animals is a start on learning what a cartridge will do, but several dozen is a much better number. Four or five doesn't tell us much at all.

Quote over...I call bull chit and no one else does.....

Jayco
I agree with JB.
Really..Like the .338 Win Mag didn't have a history before the fire?So,according to several dozen means more than 36,have you shot atleast 36 animals with a single caliber reguardless of it's reputation prior to your use?

Some how I am not surprised.

Jayco
Others might disagree with you...

Allen Day
I go back with the 338 Win. Mag. Some 27 years now, and I've owned a bunch of rifles in this caliber over that time. I've used it off and on in spurts and I've shot something over 50 big game animals in various states plus one African country with it, animals ranging in size between 100 and 2,000 lbs. This isn't a vast number of animals, but I think I have a pretty fair idea as to what it's good for.

Fundamentally, it'll do all that the 30-06 will do plus much more, and it does clobber stuff harder - that's my experience anyway!

Craig Boddington
As Jack Atcheson said regarding the .338 and elk, "It numbs them." My favorite .33 is the .338 Winchester Magnum. I think it is well-accepted as the archetypical elk cartridge, and equally good for bear, moose and Africa�s largest plains game. Its ballistics are neither fast nor flashy, but it offers a rich selection of bullets, and it hits with authority. My old friend Jack Atcheson Jr. Uses nothing but a battered .338 for almost all of his hunting, and as he puts it, �The .338 numbs them.� Amen.

Holt Bodinson
Accurate and powerful, no other cartridge can match this old favorite for hunting North America's most majestic game.The 338 Winchester Magnum: King Of The Elk Cartridges..

Guns and Shooting Online Staff
The . 338 Win. Mag. Is about as good as it gets for shooting elk.

Jim Carmichel's favorite Elk caliber..338 Win Mag

But,who cares..Followers are followers..

Jayco
Originally Posted by logcutter
Others might disagree with you...

But,who cares..Followers are followers..

Jayco

I don't, that's for sure.
Originally Posted by logcutter
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Come teach me some of that chit,Bob.......Starved in Idaho.....

You have to admit,that was pretty arrogant.....

Jayco

Jayco not trying to be arrogant...just relating some of the things I like about getting older,and sharing some of the stuff I have managed to learn over the years.You would be surprised how some people appreciate it.You might try it sometime...not sure I could teach you anything...there ain't many bass in Idaho.

Didn't mean it the way everyone took it,Bob.More of a joke than it came out.

Jayco
Dont give it a second thought... wink smile
Logsplitter, do they have wireless in the nursing home?
Yes, cute nurses too!

Jayco
I have a great appreciation now for Lidocaine patches, Oxycontin, ATV's, and binoculars with a lazer rangefinder built in. I am still a total, unrepentant speed whore as I have witnessed many times the effect of a well placed bullet striking at three times the speed of sound at impact. With todays uberbullets, we can have speed AND great penetration at the same time. 'Tis a wonderful time to be alive and a hunter IMO.
As I get older I find myself needing a Hot Cup of coffee and a Comfortable Seat in the morning!

[Linked Image]

I used to use everything you can think of; stumps, rocks, logs, etc... but one day I decided to use an old log..well that was all fine and dandy until I woke up the inhabitants of the log and got a pretty good stinging! LOL

At 53 I'm still a kid UNTIL I look in a mirror!

I have much better equipment, glass more, hunt slower, spend more time thinking and watching. Probably take more game also.
© 24hourcampfire