Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just like to hear a bit about what equipment you've come to appreciate as you've matured (IE gotten older).

I'll kick off

*a good set of walking sticks

*my Kenetrek boots. I have terribly challenging knee's. 5 surgeries, basically no cartiledge and getting my feet into this brand has been a real gift. My Hardscrabbles, and my Mtn Extreme's have kept me going when other boots wouldn't.

*my 7x42 SLC's. Far and away the most user friendly glass I've had the privaledge to be around.

Looking forward to hearing what goods you all like.

Maybe we can keep from going into a bunch of "BG" (ballistic gack) on this thread. Maybe... wink

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Using binoculars and a lighter rifle in a smaller caliber and higher magnification scope.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Drugs. smile

I'm still stupid, maybe not quite as much, but the body is still cooperating mostly. A bit slower in recovery. Nothing Advil and modified planning can't handle.

And I've lowered the limit (mostly) on pack weights. I try to keep 'em to 70 or less, now. Depends on terrain and distance.

The most valuable, however, is having a couple late 20, early 30 packers... if I can just get the damned kids to come hunt with me...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
Drugs. smile

Yes. Plural. Cocktail form. Yes. Not just Ibu, but aspirin and tylenol too. And taken proactively (ahead of time) as well.

And stiff-soled boots. (Columbia Bug-a-boo variations have been good for me.)

I like pulley blocks and/or come-alongs. 4WD.

4X scopes are great (for shorter pack outs grin )

mid-range power (30-06ish) stuff works just as good now as bigger stuff did a few years ago! whistle

When I was younger I had a stronger back and a weaker mind. Now, I may not have a stronger mind, but my weaker back suggests that my mind is relatively stronger. grin

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My Swarovski Bino's and Aleve....

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Big Agnes IAC sleeping pad, sleeping comfortably helps me a lot. I can't hang with just using a closed cell foam pad anymore.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I first started out (not that long ago, I'm only 31) I was into the latest synthetic clothing products and high mag scopes.

Wool now is my go to, and a 3-9 or a 2-7 is what I run on my general purpose big game rifles.

I've also grown very fond of 'older' cartridges. The 30-06, 45/70, 30-30 and 45acp are as cool as it gets for me now. Hell I'm even proud to slum a 270, but don't tell Ingwe.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
115 cm ice axe.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A nice soft cushon to set on.

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
A nice soft cushon to set on.

Yes, that would be nice. Clients seem to bring those, quite often. I definitely recommend them for clients. I should start carrying one, too. I seem to ruin a lot of pants and a cushion would help to eliminate that problem. I'm usually maxed-out on available space inside my pack, though. And of course, when hunting to kill, there's always the issue of fitting everything inside or on the pack when transporting big-game.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Trail cameras and Primaloft.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Not just Ibu, but aspirin and tylenol too. And taken proactively (ahead of time) as well.

I recall asking my doctor for a prescription of Relafen, an anti-inflammatory for my knee. He asked why I needed it and I told him I'd take it ahead of time on my pack-in hunting trip to keep my knee from swelling. So he says, "oh, you want to take it prophylactically. And I said "no doc, this is not that kind of "hunting trip," we're really going hunting."

The most valuable thing I've learned to bring along is a hunting partner around half my age. Those guys love to pack heavy loads and seem to have something to prove, which is a hard combination to beat.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I keep an eye out for lighter clothing.Use more of a mix of synthetics and wool...Have not got around to Kennetreks but will have to wear out my Cabela's Meindl's first.Great boot for my wide feet and I am fussy on boots.

Bins have not changed much....still a pair of 8X Swaro's and an HD Leica 10 power.

In constant flux about scopes,balancing weight, good optics,etc...I like a bit more power today,and my eyes notice differences in optical quality.

Rifle weight has not entered the picture yet,since I have been using synthetic stocks and 7-8 pound M70's since the 80's.I keep saying I like Kimber Montana's and ti Rem 700's and have had both but none seem to stick around...guess I am still looking for that ultimate 270/7mm on a G33/40 smile

The 300's and 338's are gone...don't need the abuse... and I figured out a guy does not need a medium for very much here but should still have "one" around.Anything but a 375 bore is folly whistle...everything else falls neatly to a 270,30/06 or 7mm magnum....they can keep the rest.

The thing I use more than anything else these days is my head....I try to think through a plan more these days instead of blasting off into nowhere like I used to... grin

Last edited by BobinNH; 03/08/13.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Trekking poles, quality boots, pack, sleep system, wool, tripod, multiple cow calls, gps.

Kent

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I glass more than I did when I was younger..Have better binocs, boots, and higher power scopes..I hunt with my head more than my feet, but my 10 pound .300 is still my favorite big game rife..I do fool with other calibers more than when I was younger, but when the chips are down, that is the one I pick..

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A couple of things:

I spend much more time looking over maps and designing entry and exits points. I used to simply whip out the map, find a spot I wanted to go to, and walked a straight line between points A and B. That works when your 25, not so much as I approach 50. A little map work can save alot of steps.

I also premedicate with Advil (Ibuprofen). I take 2 in the AM and 2 when I go to bed. Sometimes I take 3 at each interval. I've been blessed with good knees but they still complain after a couple days of elk hunting.

I bought a postal scale about 5-6 years ago. I weigh everything and chose the lightest, best equipment I can afford. I know I've lost 5 lbs from my day pack using the scale. Also went to lighter rifles, outer clothing, and boots. I wish I would have weighed all my gear when I first started mountain hunting. Its probably what got in good shape now........

I quit sleeping on the ground. I'll still do it for a nite or two at a spike camp but not for an extended period of time. This fall I bought a canvas tent and a very good cot. I also acquired a piece of 3" dense foam. This fall was some of the best sleeping I've ever had.

I take a day off every 3-4 days. We usually watch the weather and plan a day in town or around camp. We sleep late, eat 10k calories, and sit around telling lies for the day. About half the time we only end up taking the AM off and hunt second shift. It is very relaxing and rejuvenating. We put fun back into the hunt as we've gotten older. We still hard core it but usually for 2-4 day stints then take a day off.

The other thing we've done is take more time hiking in. I used to plan on hiking as fast and quick as I could to get to 'my spot'. I now plan on an extra 30-45 minutes and not push myself to get to where I'm going. I've found, for me, a half hour less sleep rather than extreme physical exertion first thing in the AM keeps me more energized in the long run.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dober, Ive loved my 8x30 slcs but if youve got 7x42s, those are the only glass Ive seen that are what I call orgasmic. super duper stuff.

As Ive gotten older I have switched to using bigger scopes, always used a 1.-5x before for big game, now its usually a 3x9

I have also come to appreciate a nice haystack type blind grin

And very much like the Polaris Ranger we have at the ranch for retrieving game, I used to just drag them to the nearest two track, now I just take a hike back and fetch the ranger...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Haystack blinds, yeah I like how you think...grin

I've had my 7x42 SLC's since they hit the states (not sure how long ago but it's long). 4 me and my eye's there's nothing that comps. I've had 2 pairs of 8x30 SLC's and a pair of 7x30 SLC's. All 3 of them hit the road as for my eyes it's night and day tween them and the 7x42's. Glad I don't have to buy them now.

4 my light glass I carry some 6x30 Yo's.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hmmm, pretty much what BobinNH said! The rifle I tote around more and more these hunting seasons is still my favored Sako Finnbear 270, no more than 8lb ready to shoot. My glass is a pair of Swift Autobon 8x43 roofs that JB mentioned a time or two. Bought 'em, still use 'em. other than that, what BobinNH said works for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I appreciate lighter kicking rifles now. A .270 is pretty much as big as I need for anything I'm after in these parts.

A small butt-pad is sure nice when sitting/glasssing for extended periods, especially wheen snow is on the ground.

As silly as it sounds, I kinda like having a cellphone with me now. I used to purposely leave it at home. After getting stuck a couple times or knowing I was gonna be later than expected it was nice to call and let somebody know what was going on.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 53 invisible), 2,410 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,520
Posts18,472,532
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.