Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Didn't enjoy it less when I was younger but I certainly know I am enjoying it now...:)

I used to feel like I was getting away with something when spending extra time on hunts than my compadres, like it was an indulgence. But am thinking it is more design than that, certainly not of the kind I can take credit for, and the nature of the thing is exploring, understanding and appreciating...not too difficult a task...:)

Defend the Constitution
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A few of the things I have come to appreciate:

Taking more photos - It still seems to me that a 5 day hunt goes by in about 3 1/2 hours. By taking more pictures, I slow down and appreciate the hunt more.

Good boots- I am enjoying my Schnees Beartooth

Merino Wool - Big fan here. It just plain makes me more comfortable.

For bird hunting - a quality, well balanced shotgun. My Beretta fits me like a well broken in pair of leather gloves.

The resevoir drinking systems (Camelback-like). It is so much easier and thus I drink more water. Unless the tube freezes.... eek

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A couple of fellas commented on taking naps during the day. I totally get that! I mean we bust it so hard day in and day out when I get out there I like to go at a pace that my body will appreciate. When I guided in Mex the native guides pretty much always took a mid day nap.

I like to pick and choose my hours and for that matter days of the season that I want to go hard. Used to be I'd go hard all day, as many days of the season as possible. Not anymore, I pick and choose my days cause I can.

And on a longer hunt I have absolutely no issue with taking a day off in the middle of the hunt or a half day. Kind of nice I've come to a place where I can allow myself to do it.

Have a super day all!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Looking forward to hearing what goods you all like.

Damn reading glasses....

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
While I don't have the experience of most of you, I've come to appreciate a couple of things since I've started...

Glass (scopes/binos) - my eyes have never been great

Filson and Smartwool

Good boots

I'm just now getting into the lighter rifles. My go to has always been my LH Model 70 in 6.5x55. Now I just want to lighten it up a bit... Although my new K95 in 270 might be a favorite if I can ever get out and sight it in...

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Naps have always worked well for me. I think that I surprised my guide last time out, though: he sure took lots of pictures of me napping. Silly Germans...

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RWE

Looking forward to hearing what goods you all like.

Damn reading glasses....

Funny. Was trying to read my GPS in the dark last fall and discovered my night vision had pretty much taken it in the shorts. Early onset cataracts and other eye issues kicking my butt.

Probably mentioned in this thread but try to keep some high end pain pills in the pack after getting hit in the Canadian boonies with kidney stones and no warning. Buy wool, ingrams, Kifaru packs and go hunting.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
At 50 this May, I decided to get a small compact rifle for deer. I think A Marlin x7y youth. A small gun, 1x4 Leopold heavy cross hairs. I need to go further in the woods these days to get away from other bait hunters and atv's. I also take Friday off more to go hunt and fish instead of a weekend. I don't have the energy anymore to drive till midnight to my land, hunt all Saturday and Sunday to drive 243 mi. back and to work on Monday. I also started using a blind instead of freezing in a deer stand 15' in the air.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by las
Drugs. smile

Yes. Plural. Cocktail form. Yes. Not just Ibu, but aspirin and tylenol too. And taken proactively (ahead of time) as well.

And stiff-soled boots. (Columbia Bug-a-boo variations have been good for me.)

I like pulley blocks and/or come-alongs. 4WD.

4X scopes are great (for shorter pack outs grin )

mid-range power (30-06ish) stuff works just as good now as bigger stuff did a few years ago! whistle

When I was younger I had a stronger back and a weaker mind. Now, I may not have a stronger mind, but my weaker back suggests that my mind is relatively stronger. grin

That pretty well covers it for me too. smile Although one muight argue the relative benefits of weaker/stronger minds when it comes to packing chit out.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A lightweight (alum frame) folding stool/chair. So as a ease along and find a place I want to observe, I position it, sit comfortably/still and watch for a while. I find it much more effective and comfortable, than sitting on the ground or finding a downed tree/log which are usually not in the position for what I'm trying to do.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
A couple of fellas commented on taking naps during the day. I totally get that! I mean we bust it so hard day in and day out when I get out there I like to go at a pace that my body will appreciate. When I guided in Mex the native guides pretty much always took a mid day nap.

I like to pick and choose my hours and for that matter days of the season that I want to go hard. Used to be I'd go hard all day, as many days of the season as possible. Not anymore, I pick and choose my days cause I can.

And on a longer hunt I have absolutely no issue with taking a day off in the middle of the hunt or a half day. Kind of nice I've come to a place where I can allow myself to do it.

Have a super day all!

Dober

Good point on picking the times/days to go hard, or go, for that matter. I don't waste energy, money and brownie points(!) hunting or fishing when it is not good (i.e. prime time), unless I just have nothing else to do or no other option on when to go.
Long ago I stopped hunting during most of october for island blacktails, focussed on the first couple of weeks in september and then just waited for the rut to start up! Same would go for whitetails, assuming I could hunt the rut.
I also don't go hard in the middle of the day unless things are really prime, just can't keep my attention keyed up from dawn to dusk and find my mind wandering (more than usual!) and use the time to rest the body up a bit.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I migh add that the warm clothing I carry for those very early morning glassing sessions make me very comfortable out in the mountains when I want to take a nap on the mountain in the middle of the day. Besides, it saves walking back to the Jeep, and walking back out there in the evening. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't add to this thread, but there's a dang good list of stuff here.

I will say that watching my Dad go from his mid 30s to being 52, I've noticed him putting more stock in his boots, and he always carries one of those bleacher seats for glassing-and I always forget one.

That... and he just laughs when he processes deer/elk with the knives I get him, because he'd never used blades that "good".

And he can still kick my butt up and down the hill.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just like to hear a bit about what equipment you've come to appreciate as you've matured (IE gotten older).

Dober

The gym, barbells, pull-ups, push-ups, running shoes, nordic track, concept2 rower and a stepper machine. Didn't need any of those things back when.

Last edited by battue; 03/13/13.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've tried to make sure I had enough supplies to stay out all day regardless of what conditions I ran into. That meant packing a lunch most days.
I used to pack all kinds of crap in my lunch- candy bars, pastries, and sugary stuff believing it would give me quick energy. Now, I just pack a sandwich or two and a couple apples along with an energy bar or two and a couple canteens of water and I'm good to go all day long.
My son and I seldom come back to camp before dark and he usually ends up eating one of my sandwiches, so it works out fine and I even can take a nap in the field if I choose since there is no hurry to get back to the truck.

We also carry radios everywhere in case we get something down or we get into trouble and need help. They have become almost indispensable.

My son carries a smart phone which has come in handy in a lot of ways. We have used the GPS on his smart phone to find a spot by following an overgrown road, we looked on the internet how to salt a bear hide and what kind of salt to use (I had never done this before getting my only bear a couple years ago), and when we get an animal down, we send a pic of it to the rest of the party since we are usually too far apart for our radios to reach most days.

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 03/13/13.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The importance of red wine in ones' diet.

It assists ballistic decisions and considerations immensely.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by HughW
At 50 I started going to Blackpowder more and more as a slow down and a way of spending more time in the field. So for me - really good glass, black powder, more time on birds with a good dog, really cherish camp evenings with the guys - now a good weekend does not mean a limit of birds or bringing home a deer or a moose.
at 60 it gets better to pass a bow shot on a cow 2 miles from camp to get back and have a toddy by the fire.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Maverick940
115 cm ice axe.

Hey Mav, did you ever find a girlfriend on that online site? smirk

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Over the years, (this will be my 55th elk season) I have upgraded my gear. Gortex, Ziess binos, spotting scope, and have a new Conquest on the way. I have had enough time in the woods to figure out what works for me. I am still using my 1966 300 Win Mag, quality boots, and day pack and have added a GPS. I hunt more carefully (my success is higher) and start well before daylight every day. Naps are mandatory. I work hard at staying fit but do have some of the maladies of old age. I love the woods and the mountains and appreciate every days I am allowed to spend in them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Naps have always worked well for me. I think that I surprised my guide last time out, though: he sure took lots of pictures of me napping. Silly Germans...

FC

Naps are a highly valued part of my elk hunts, providing the sun and temps cooperate. We call it "Looking for the perfect aspen tree."

Nothing like reaching a nice spot, then reclining back against an aspen or rock and taking a snooze with the sun warming you. Heaven.

Spent the day here in 2008, snacking, reading, sleeping and repeating:

[Linked Image]

Ended the day on the slope in the background:
[Linked Image]

Last year I spent much of the day here, nestled in a stand of scrub oak out of the picture to the left.

[Linked Image]

Ended up here:

[Linked Image]

The day before I spent several hours in the truck, watching the sage, reading, snoozing and listening to the Broncos game.

Knew just where to go after the game...
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 03/24/13. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

296 members (10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 17CalFan, 17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 34 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,745
Posts18,495,171
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.