Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Last two trips out to Wyoming, I spent as much time "guiding" as I did for my own hunting and still managed to kill good bucks...but helped a 70+ year old pal to his largest buck ever,and his largest pronghorn....got as big a kick out of that as I did my own.

I now get calls from younger tournament fishermen,asking me to fish local tournaments because I know the lakes after years of fishing them,(which is a curious turn of events)...and even helped a young man from Maine through the Eastern Division finals back here on his way to the Classic.It's fun to pass on some of the experience gained,and see others be suucessful.

I have a grandson now,and hope to do the same with him...he has a pre 64 M70 FW 270 but doesn't know it yet. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I guess I've reversed the trend of some and now prefer my much lighter and water proof and warmer cabelas mt050 7 in 1 parka over my filson double macinaw cruiser. Same with my mt050 pants, rain gear for warm wet weather and wicking under wear. Love the microtex lite pants and shirts and just layer for cold weather. Kenetreck boot are now my only hunting boot. Switched to a tc encore with the flex tech stock to address recoil issues on a bad shoulder rather than go to a lighter caliber. I us a hiking staff quite often, ((cut and dried sapling) for both rough terrain and also as shooting rest. I carry extra reading glasses in my pack. I guess I have a ton of things that have proven useful over time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Electrolyte replacements. Heed brand powders added to water are not full of sugar, easy on the stomach and give a nice boost and keeps cramps down. The hammer gel is good too.

Swaro 8.5 EL. I feel blind without em.

Thin outer windproof shell with layers of wool inside.

Clothes that fit me just right. I finally took them to a tailor and it made a world of difference. I should have done that years ago. It was cheap.

No more neck straps for anything. Ever.

Smaller blade knives 3" or under. I appreciate a finger guard more also.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
Moose hunting is my main game. Having a strapping son-in-law and another good friend (younger) to do the bull work when one is down. Not so worried anymore about sleeping in when there is rain on the roof early in the morning.

Used to be eager to fish during mid-day. Now the younger ones are gung ho to go and don't mind preparing the fish for the table. Last Fall I didn't fish at all and only went out once the year before. On a mild afternoon I can take a book and a canvas arm chair out into the sun where I can read, doze and glass the far shorelines of the lake.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Hope you've survived winter in good shape! Will see you soon at the range, I hope.

Jim and I share some similar statuses: 1)We are the same age (he didn't tell his, so I won't give it away -- though we, by far and away surpass any others who've dared to reveal theirs!); 2)We are members at the same range; 3)We both like some extra power for things like moose and bear; and 4)We both like to tell lies -- (read: exaggerate) about our families when we see each other! Jim (in case you're keeping score) I have 2 great-grandkids with 2 more on the way (that is GREAT-grandkids)!

This thread is fabulous! I concur with a great deal that's been covered already, so don't really have much to add.

Some things mentioned that I'll give a "thumbs-up" to:

1)I use Google Earth for 3D maps of the areas I hunt. I print them off on my computer of course. The main area of my current bear hunts were done by Google in July, 2011 just a day or so after I started baiting for bear. I can plainly see my van's tire tracks across several fields (I know they were mine because I am the only person to go there -- with permission -- using a vehicle. It borders on a vast wilderness, and scouting this whole area using Google has enable me to plan where to setup stands and bait. Talk about saving steps!!!

2)Light rifle: a T3 Lite in 9.3 X 62 is now used for 65% of my hunting. Weight with scope is 7.2 lbs. Yeah, it has the power of a .338 Win Mag or .375 H&H, depending on how any of these are loaded.

But I differ with some who's favorites are so similar in performance that they could close their eyes and pick anyone that would do the same things.

I like variety, both in type of action and cartridge. Ergo: at least one Big Bore that can be loaded for anything that walks, or downloaded for fun and games. It also makes BIG holes that you can see (without 8 X 42 bins) in paper and animals.

Then I keep a .22LR and a 12-gauge just in case something shows up on our back deck that I've not seen before... like last week's possum!

Thanks for sharing guys!

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hi Bob,

Long time no see. I haven't been to the rifle range much this winter. Right now I'm waiting for the wind to drop.

I'm not reluctant to mention my age, will be 77 in mid-June.

For 10 or 12 years I've used a .338 Win mag. and it is a thumper. Last Fall I used a .300 WSM, Win. 70 Super Grade. Didn't need it but it was so pretty and the price was right so it came home with me. Once it got home I would have felt bad if it wasn't hunted. Collaborated on a young cow and it did well with 168 Gr. Bergers.

Unfortunately no grandkids, one daughter is in her 50's and single, the other is married but unable. Just the way the cookie crumbled so I just enjoy what I have.

Hopefully if our paths cross at the right time we can get together for coffee. All the best.

Jim

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've quit running because my left knee blows up on me--I've drained it myself two times this year and have had doc's drain it three time. I'm starting to make the connection.

I like particular rifles now more than the chamberings (what?!! shocked ). And I have only a few in such pedestrian chamberings as 284 Win, 30/06, 350 RM, 375 Ruger. Downhill, are a 223AI, 223, and 204, 17 HMR, and 22.

Glasses are Leica 8x32s with a Geovid 15x56 on a tripod. Zeiss spotter.

Clothes are 20 y/o KOM wools with merinos or silks and down, or light wools with syn's. Boots are Cabelas Mountain Hikers (light) or more traditional Alico mountain boots (heavy).

And I like fishing and sitting in a boat with good company better and better. grin

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have sure enjoyed this thread,and I can relate to most that has been said here..d

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I trust me, more than ever before.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
I've quit running because my left knee blows up on me--I've drained it myself two times this year and have had doc's drain it three time. I'm starting to make the connection.

I like particular rifles now more than the chamberings (what?!! shocked ). And I have only a few in such pedestrian chamberings as 284 Win, 30/06, 350 RM, 375 Ruger. Downhill, are a 223AI, 223, and 204, 17 HMR, and 22.

Clothes are 20 y/o KOM wools with merinos or silks and down, or light wools with syn's. Boots are Cabelas Mountain Hikers (light) or more traditional Alico mountain boots (heavy).

And I like fishing and sitting in a boat with good company better and better. grin

Wow, drained it 3 times solo? You are Officialy invited to my elk, deer, and bear camps....bear camp is next. Starts May 15, let me know if you kneed directions....(pun intended.)

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MarlinMark
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Wow, drained it 3 times solo? You are Officialy invited to my elk, deer, and bear camps....bear camp is next. Starts May 15, let me know if you kneed directions....(pun intended.)

Have needles; will travel. laugh

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Last two trips out to Wyoming, I spent as much time "guiding" as I did for my own hunting and still managed to kill good bucks...but helped a 70+ year old pal to his largest buck ever,and his largest pronghorn....got as big a kick out of that as I did my own.

I now get calls from younger tournament fishermen,asking me to fish local tournaments because I know the lakes after years of fishing them,(which is a curious turn of events)...and even helped a young man from Maine through the Eastern Division finals back here on his way to the Classic.It's fun to pass on some of the experience gained,and see others be suucessful.

I have a grandson now,and hope to do the same with him...he has a pre 64 M70 FW 270 but doesn't know it yet. smile

Come teach me some of that chit,Bob.......Starved in Idaho.....

You have to admit,that was pretty arrogant.....

Jayco

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
What a waste of skin you are.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
grin

So,I'm off ignore again?..REALLY.......

Your off your vagisal swypes again,right?

Put me back on ignore like a man and carry on....Don't try and fight Bobs fights,you can't fight your own.....And you have shot 36 Elk with what cartridge?

Jayco

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Ingwe almighty......

1-How do you compare yourself to say Jack Achtikson?(SP) from Montana?
2- Have you shot 36 Elk with one caliber?
3-And final.........Who don't you suck off to be cool?

Your always fighting or trying to fight someone elses fight and you can't even back your experiences up,like 36 elk with one caliber your buddy John say's it takes....

With all do respect.....Your the biggest chicken chit here refusing to answer and "Claiming" I'm on ignore which obviosly isn't true.

As are esteemed leeder say's.....GFY or put up and answer.

Your old buddy.....

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Logcutter, what you are obviously "starving for" is a freaking brain cell and a clue.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Little JG

Answer this one question honestly.......Do you think it takes several animals down (36 or more) to see if a caliber is worth it's weightt for hunting as JB said?

Answer that honestly.....

Seems I am the only one to question it.

Jayco

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Show me the actual quote, or better yet a link to the actual quote.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
k.....Little harder on an Android but I will get it....

Jayco

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Really.......To hard to quote on a phone but every thing below this is a quote from JB.....

With the .338 and elk part of my skepticism comes from a survey on the Campfire several years ago--after yet another post proclaiming the greatness of the .338. Turned out he had shot one elk with the .338.

So I asked everybody else to post their experience with the .338. It turned out that very few had taken more than a dozen animals with the cartridge, and the average was between 4 and 5. In my experience, a dozen animals is a start on learning what a cartridge will do, but several dozen is a much better number. Four or five doesn't tell us much at all.

Quote over...I call bull chit and no one else does.....

Jayco

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (257Bob, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 1,768 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,240
Posts18,524,908
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.