Home
Posted By: High_Noon Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
I been at the hospital all day with my 10 year old daughter. This AM, out of nowhere, her pulse rate started racing - all the way up to 140. Her normal resting rate is around 70. I took her to the ER, and it was like pulling teeth to get her in to see a doctor, which was perplexing since there was virtual no patients in the ER. Of course the MSM would have you believe otherwise - reporting that all ER beds, all ICU beds, all rooms were overflowing, etc. in TX. Total and complete BS. There were literally only 2 other patients in the ER. I had to raise holy hell to get someone to help us.

After 6 hours we were released. Got back home, relaxed, ate dinner and then I was sitting on the couch with her watching her play a video game and I reached over to check her pulse again - it was racing 155 BPM! WTF??? She was calm and happy. We were laughing together and she was not anxious about anything. I took her back to the ER. Her Endocrinologist wanted her admitted under the care of a Pediatric Cardiologist. EKG is fine, chest X-Ray is fine, blood work is normal, thyroid test is normal, urine is normal, blood sugar just a bit high at 116. After 4+ hours tonight, the Cardiologist has still not shown up. Her Endocrinologist has not shown up. They still have not admitted her! I don't know what the heck is going on - this hospital is the best in town and they are not busy at all. Nobody knows what the hell is going on with my daughter.

Her Mom finally showed up at the ER and they wouldn't let her in. I talked to the head Triage Nurse who told me that they would make a special exception since I had been there all day but she told me that I could not come back. Too bad we're not in Dallas where there's decent doctors.

Please keep my daughter in your thoughts and prayers. Thank you.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Prayers, bud .
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Hope the Dr's, show soon. Prayers for your daughter!
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Thank you. I am absolutely distraught with the hospital's handling of my daughter's situation.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Son of a gun!

Good luck to her!

I guess you just have to raise hell until you get some results.

Either that or get the hell out of there and go someplace better.
Has she been getting enough water?
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Prayers for the young lady.
Jim, The Dr. originally thought she was dehydrated, but she had an insulated cup of ice water at all times. I make certain she drinks enough water throughout the day. I guess it could be dehydration, but I kind of doubt it.

As far as changing hospitals, there's none better in EP.
Posted By: RNF Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Prayers and well wishes sent.
Posted By: usull Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
HN , when you said you checked her Pulse , did you actually count the Beats per Minute on her Wrist or did you use an Instrument ? Just wondering about AFIB , but that would have shown up on an EKG if the Dr. knew what he was doing . Also did they give her anything like Metoprolol to limit her Pulse ?
Posted By: las Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Don't tell us-tell someone who matters- Papers, radio stations, medical boards legislators- whoever.

No excuse for that BS. Give it some publicity - maybe even lawyer up.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Prayers up!
usull: I counted the BPM on her wrist using a chronometer. The finger monitor they use at the hospital confirmed my count. By the time she was hooked up in the ER, her pulse had dropped from my count of 155 to 147. I do not believe she was in Afib or they would have both told me and taken action, which they did not. But who the heck knows at this point. I will ask her Mom via text right now.
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Jim, The Dr. originally thought she was dehydrated, but she had an insulated cup of ice water at all times. I make certain she drinks enough water throughout the day. I guess it could be dehydration, but I kind of doubt it.

As far as changing hospitals, there's none better in EP.

My thyroid went to hell last year and caused a bunch of weird pulse issues.....but I see her's is okay.

Glad you are at a good hospital. Hope you get some satisfaction very, very soon.

There are so many things that cause pulse issues, takes a while to get to the bottom of it sometimes I guess.
Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Prayers for your daughter. I took my dad to the hospital when he had chest pains. Turned out it wasn’t anything serious, but they wanted a cardiologist to take a look before they’d release him. So we waited all night, then all day, and all night, and all day, and on day 3, a cardiologist finally answered their phone.
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Just a little preview of socialized medicine.

Godspeed to your little girl. Amen.
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
I spent two days in the hospital a few years ago with a pulse rate of 140-150- - - - -they called it "atrial fibrillation". Now I'm on a horrendously expensive, very powerful blood thinner called Pradaxa that's supposed to minimize the chances of a blood clot forming that could cause a stroke. The funny thing was that I had no symptoms at all of any problems except profuse sweating. My wife checked my pulse and freaked out! That was at least 10 years ago. The alternative to Pradaxa is warfarin- - - -(rat poison)- - - -which has to be monitored and the dosage adjusted frequently. I definitely don't want to deal with that!

I hope things work out well- - - - -it's frustrating, watching our kids get sick or hurt and not being able to fix it! Mine are 48 and 50 years old, but they're still kids to me! Hang in there!
Posted By: widrahthaar Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Good luck to your daughter.

The way hospitals are operating all over the country during this covid bs is criminal.
Posted By: g5m Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
You need a cardiologist. Probably a pediatric cardiologist.
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
You're in my thoughts and prayers.....please keep us posted!
Thanks Jim. When we got back home from the hospital late this afternoon, I was having a hard time. I was trying to be strong for her, but I nearly broke down and she had to console me - telling me she had it easy compared to so many - this from a 10 year old girl! I felt so bad for her and told her that I was so sorry she had to go through all this. She's my baby girl. She's tough and she's a trooper.

Now that I'm alone again, it's tough. She'll pull through.
Thank you to everyone. Other than my daughter, I don't have any family at all here in El Paso. It really is helpful to have all you feller's support, thoughts and prayers. Thank you again.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Prayers for that young lady, from
'The Warden" and me.
Give her a squeeze from us, and take care of the both of you!
Jerry, Glad you got it under control. I sure hope she doesn't need blood thinners.

I don't believe half the doctors know what the hell they're talking about in this town. They all want to be a big fish in a small pond and the majority wouldn't amount to a hill of beans in a real city/hospital.
Posted By: duck911 Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Sounds like there is a chance it could be SVT (Supraventricular Tachycardia).

Not immediately dangerous, treatable, and nothing to fear, but should be treated. My wife suffers from this, and has bouts a couple of times a year.

At home treatements include a number of things you can do to shock the vagas nerve, which usually correct the rhythm.

Diving reflex (dunk head in cold water), hold knees up to chest, laying on your back with legs up on a wall, etc. (you can google "vagal maneuvers").

For my wife, one or more of these tricks plus a small dose of a safe beta blocker (like metoprolol tartrate) usually knock it out in 30 minutes or less.

But prayers and well wishes either way!

Posted By: erikj Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Hang in there, nooner, kids are tough. Hope you get it resolved, without too much Covid drama.
Thanks Duck. I'll ask.

Thanks erikj.
Thank you Mark & will do.
Posted By: ERK Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Good luck to your daughter. I have a couple and nothing is more dear to me than they are. Ed k
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Originally Posted by g5m
You need a cardiologist. Probably a pediatric cardiologist.

Yeah you're probably right.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Originally Posted by duck911
Sounds like there is a chance it could be SVT (Supraventricular Tachycardia).

Not immediately dangerous, treatable, and nothing to fear, but should be treated. My wife suffers from this, and has bouts a couple of times a year.

At home treatements include a number of things you can do to shock the vagas nerve, which usually correct the rhythm.

Diving reflex (dunk head in cold water), hold knees up to chest, laying on your back with legs up on a wall, etc. (you can google "vagal maneuvers").

For my wife, one or more of these tricks plus a small dose of a safe beta blocker (like metoprolol tartrate) usually knock it out in 30 minutes or less.

But prayers and well wishes either way!

My kid has that, plus some other stuff. Cardiologist next week
ERK: Thank you.

Just got an update. The ER doc does not think this has anything to do with her heart. He thinks it's some sort of infection - maybe viral.

I've mentioned here on the 'fire several times that there is a nasty stomach virus and other assorted diseases that circulate around EP several times a year. I know it's brought over the border from Mexico. My daughter has been afflicted by these diseased messikans that go to her school as many as 4-5 times some years. The parents of these Mexican kids - that live in Mexico and attend our schools - have absolutely no regard for anyone else and send their kids to school when they are sick. In the parking lot at her school I see scores of vehicles with Mexican plates. She had this terrible stomach bug again about a month ago - picked up from some kid at her swimming lessons my ex insisted on - over my strenuous objections. The virus is probably still in her little body wrecking havoc with her system. This does not surprise me at all. I need to get her the heck out of this stinking town, but it will never happen - her Mom won't allow it.

At least they have an idea of might be causing the issue now. Hopefully they can treat it successfully. But I'm worried about antibiotic resistance.
Sounds like progress.

Hopefully anyway!
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
I’m sorry to hear this. As a father you want to do everything you can to protect your children but these things are beyond our control. I will be keeping your daughter and you in my prayers. I wish I was closer and could help you but please know that you aren’t alone.

I’d say that based upon the strength and intelligence your daughter has shown thus far that she’ll be just fine. She’s miles ahead of people much more senior than herself.
Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
ERK: Thank you.

Just got an update. The ER doc does not think this has anything to do with her heart. He thinks it's some sort of infection - maybe viral.

I've mentioned here on the 'fire several times that there is a nasty stomach virus and other assorted diseases that circulate around EP several times a year. I know it's brought over the border from Mexico. My daughter has been afflicted by these diseased messikans that go to her school as many as 4-5 times some years. The parents of these Mexican kids - that live in Mexico and attend our schools - have absolutely no regard for anyone else and send their kids to school when they are sick. In the parking lot at her school I see scores of vehicles with Mexican plates. She had this terrible stomach bug again about a month ago - picked up from some kid at her swimming lessons my ex insisted on - over my strenuous objections. The virus is probably still in her little body wrecking havoc with her system. This does not surprise me at all. I need to get her the heck out of this stinking town, but it will never happen - her Mom won't allow it.

At least they have an idea of might be causing the issue now. Hopefully they can treat it successfully. But I'm worried about antibiotic resistance.

Looks like they may be narrowing it down. That’s good!
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Wishing for a speedy recover for your girl.

And some peace of mind for you.

Hang in there.
In 1979 my daughter was 7 years old, and finally got the heart surgery her mother had been refusing to allow for a couple of years after our divorce. (She was influenced by a cult of faith-healers) Her problem was an "atrial-septal defect"- - - -a hole about the size of a nickel between the upper chambers of her heart. Seeing a helpless little girl with her chest opened up halfway to her waist is something no parent should have to experience! She's 48 now, and her two boys are living proof of how well the doctors at Stanford University hospital did their jobs! The lady who stepped up and raised two badly abused children- - - -physically and emotionally- - - -deserves a lot of the credit for how my kids turned out- - - - -looks like I got it right the second time around!
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
do you have a pulse-oximeter at the house? they are dirt cheap these days (electronics)

help you keep an eye on things and fast. just slip it on her finger
Posted By: duck911 Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
We will keep praying from Colorado!
Indeed she is. Thank you Aces.

Certainly, to a certain extent, this is beyond my control, but if I could just move her away from the border, I could greatly mitigate the chances of her contracting these illnesses in the first place. Unfortunately, my ex always ignores my advice, my concerns and my ideas about almost everything. It's only when something bad happens and proves my point that she begins to see the light. It happens time and again. Latest example is the infernal swimming lessons she insisted on. Only today, when she was insisting on taking her to her swim lesson tomorrow could I convince her. My daughter does not need to be in 110° heat, stressing her body, and possibly being exposed to other diseases and illnesses. I was adamant that the lessons were over and she finally agreed. It's maddening. The ex does absolutely whatever she wants regarding my daughter. Sure, sometimes she discusses it with me, but if she already has her mind made up and/or I object, she does it anyway. Unbelievable. This never would have happened if she listened to me in the first place. I'm sure many here have to deal with the same BS.
Sycamore: Yes, thanks. I just got a new Pulse Oximeter a few weeks ago. I didn't think to use it, but I will definitely use it in the future.

Her oxygen sat. level was 95% as of ~ 30 minutes ago.
Jerry, That is just awful to read. I am happy to hear; however, that your daughter received the surgery she so desperately needed and recovered so beautifully. I can't imagine how difficult that must have been for you - let alone your daughter. Thanks for sharing that story - it helps a lot to know that these trying issues can have a happy result.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Prayers enroute from south Jersey.

Jeff
Thanks Jeffy.

I feel a lot better now that I know the issue is likely not her heart.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Prayers from us in N.C.
Thank you wilkes
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
More prayers from NC offered. Having to choose which parent can be with your little girl when she is sick has to be heart wrenching and times a million when the parents are estranged....

I had to travel for a knee MRI a few weeks ago.... never been to this hospital before... didn't see any signs saying employees only by the door I approached.... 2 sets of doors the first opened the 2nd didn't. When someone inside saw me her eyes got so big I thought they might have been getting ready to gas me in the space between the door.... Managed to get directions to the ER door where patients were allowed to enter.... got temperature taken everyone wearing masks lots of do not step past this line markers... it felt like some sort of dystopian future novel....

I'm glad they are taking infection control seriously.... but it was a strange experience. Can't really imagine how much more stressful that strangeness is for the parent of a young child. Please keep us posted.
Will do, thanks 2ndwind.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Prayers sent.

A friend of mine lived on the border a number of years and the health issues were ramping up. He had a very nice place but a colonia reared up near him and pretty soon two of his four kids were deathly ill with a virus similar to the Bubonic Plague. The next thing I knew, he'd quit his high-paying government job that he'd held for years and moved back to Kansas. Right now the worst county in Kansas for COVID is Ford, where Dodge City is located. Meat packing plants. Guess who works there.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Prayer for both you and Her High Noon...
Posted By: CCCC Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
K - sorry that I did not see this thread much sooner - you and the young lady have been through quite an ordeal since yesterday and you are in my prayers now. Knowing that she is a very bright and strong little girl, it is difficult to imagine her - and you - being in such a plight. It sounds as though she is doing her best to encourage you as you have fought this battle for her.

Let's hope that the "virus" diagnosis yields a solid explanation for the suddenness of this new condition and that it is easily treatable.

It can be very frustrating - even depressing - to be sitting in a hospital ER for hours without having one's child receive the excellent care we so often take for granted in this country, and I'm sorry that you have experienced this shortfall in what is supposed to be the best hospital in your area. And, my wife has been such a great partner as we cared for and raised four kids that the contrast of trying to work successfully with a disagreeable ex would be discouraging.

This has been a rough 24 to 36 hours, but kids are tough and yours is a really strong one - and she has a great dad in her corner. Stay calm, stay focused and smile at her often.
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Geez, the young lass shouldn't have to go thru all of this. Smaller hospitals may only see a cardiologist once a week or so. Ped cardios are even a bit more rare. Keep asking questions - even if it's "what's next?" - and whether they called for a cardio consult. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. You're her best advocate. Don't stop until you get answers.

Stay strong HN and Godspeed to the youngster.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
I spent two days in the hospital a few years ago with a pulse rate of 140-150- - - - -they called it "atrial fibrillation". Now I'm on a horrendously expensive, very powerful blood thinner called Pradaxa that's supposed to minimize the chances of a blood clot forming that could cause a stroke. The funny thing was that I had no symptoms at all of any problems except profuse sweating. My wife checked my pulse and freaked out! That was at least 10 years ago. The alternative to Pradaxa is warfarin- - - -(rat poison)- - - -which has to be monitored and the dosage adjusted frequently. I definitely don't want to deal with that!

I hope things work out well- - - - -it's frustrating, watching our kids get sick or hurt and not being able to fix it! Mine are 48 and 50 years old, but they're still kids to me! Hang in there!

Jerry, sorry to learn that you have needed to be on the Pradaxa routine, and hope it has served you well. Has the tempo been well controlled? If you ever want to re-think the decision about using warfarin, it may help to know that it can be stabilized with a few dietary considerations and you can self-monitor at home in a way that is quite simple and generally enables one to avoid significant adjustments of the med. I am an ornery and independent old codger but have been able to bring that off at home with the right tools. Best wishes.
Posted By: superlight17b Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Prayers sent,i have my own 10 year old and i just can t imagine,may she recover quickly. I ve delt with my own crazy ex,i feel for you.when i lived in Houston in 1988/9, i caught some mexican stomach bug that was going around,i ve never been so sick in my life,only time i ever fainted .
Posted By: superlight17b Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Prayers sent,i have my own 10 year old and i just can t imagine,may she recover quickly. I ve delt with my own crazy ex,i feel for you.when i lived in Houston in 1988/9, i caught some mexican stomach bug that was going around,i ve never been so sick in my life,only time i ever fainted .
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Prayers sent from Georgia.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Prayers on the way.
Posted By: bartman Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
High Noon, wishing the best for your little girl. Hold her hand and tell her you love her. My youngest daughter is 11 years old and they are the most precious things in a fathers life. Thoughts and prayers for you and your daughter.
Posted By: boilerpig1 Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Children are special. Prayers lifted from South Texas.

BP...
Posted By: bluefish Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
I been at the hospital all day with my 10 year old daughter. This AM, out of nowhere, her pulse rate started racing - all the way up to 140. Her normal resting rate is around 70. I took her to the ER, and it was like pulling teeth to get her in to see a doctor, which was perplexing since there was virtual no patients in the ER. Of course the MSM would have you believe otherwise - reporting that all ER beds, all ICU beds, all rooms were overflowing, etc. in TX. Total and complete BS. There were literally only 2 other patients in the ER. I had to raise holy hell to get someone to help us.

After 6 hours we were released. Got back home, relaxed, ate dinner and then I was sitting on the couch with her watching her play a video game and I reached over to check her pulse again - it was racing 155 BPM! WTF??? She was calm and happy. We were laughing together and she was not anxious about anything. I took her back to the ER. Her Endocrinologist wanted her admitted under the care of a Pediatric Cardiologist. EKG is fine, chest X-Ray is fine, blood work is normal, thyroid test is normal, urine is normal, blood sugar just a bit high at 116. After 4+ hours tonight, the Cardiologist has still not shown up. Her Endocrinologist has not shown up. They still have not admitted her! I don't know what the heck is going on - this hospital is the best in town and they are not busy at all. Nobody knows what the hell is going on with my daughter.

Her Mom finally showed up at the ER and they wouldn't let her in. I talked to the head Triage Nurse who told me that they would make a special exception since I had been there all day but she told me that I could not come back. Too bad we're not in Dallas where there's decent doctors.

I have a 10 year old girl. My thoughts and prayers are with you! Keep strong for all.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Prayers sent from New Jersey, the Docs will figure this out!
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Prayers sent, I know it's hard but try not to worry to much.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Prayers sent. It's always harder when it's a child that's sick.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Just reading this, and am very sorry for the young lass, and you too. Prayers will be offered up, and my best wishes extended to you and Her. That young lady is special to some of us here. miles
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Prayer sent.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20

🙏🙏🙏
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Just woke up and saw this.

Prayers for her speedy recovery.

I know a hospital in El Paso ain't the best place to be..
Posted By: tnscouter Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
High_Noon: I'm sorry to hear about your situation. You and your daughter will be in our prayers today.. -tnscouter
Posted By: slumlord Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Hope it all gets figured out, I hate playing medical guessing games with myself or my kids.

Any recent ‘back to school’ vaccines?

No monster energy drinks or similar liquid candy?

You mentioned endocrinologist, does she have a history or o going condition? Daily meds?
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
HN,what is the latest?
Posted By: Scotty Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Praying for your daughter.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Of course, Lord Jesus we all pray for the young lady. Please help the doctors, nurses, all involved.

May Your healing powers be with her. In Your Name we pray.
Posted By: RichardAustin Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
HN you have my prayers. youre showing tremendous strength, God bless your little girl and you, the family.
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Sorry your going through this. I totally agree with your frustration and being scared. Sometimes specialist that are on call for the ER have clinics to run, patients in the hospital to round on that are higher acuity, so they get seen first, or are scheduled in the operating room. They typically aren’t just on call for the ER. Although 10hrs is not a acceptable wait time for them. 1-3 would be.

It’s not afib, or svt I can almost guarantee without even seeing her

Afib her pulse will be irregularly irregular.its not a heart condition that commonly affects kids. EKG would easily show this or svt.

It is probably sinus tachycardia. Dehydration is the most likely cause. The first thing they should have done is put a IV in her and given her a fluid bolus of 30ml/kg.

Was blood work done on her? Chest x Ray. Urinalysis?

Why does she see a endocrinologist?

You have no reason to worry about antibiotic resistance with virus. Antibiotics don’t treat viruses They treat bacteria. They may have started her on broad spectrum antibiotics as a safety net( which is a good thing to do)

I’ll be praying for her
Posted By: bowfisher Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Any spider bites lately? They cause arrhythmia in some people, to the point they will fail an EKG.
Update:

I'm in disbelief. In their great and all-knowing wisdom, the hospital personnel are treating my daughter like a Covid patient, without any evidence whatsoever that she has Covid. As such, I am now barred from visiting or spending any time with her. I can no longer advocate for her. They have put her in the Covid ward, exposing both her and my ex to the Chiner virus. My ex cannot leave, if she does, they will not allow her back in and my daughter would be alone for the duration. The hospital personnel administered a Covid test at approximately 11:00 AM yesterday and again at midnight last night. The first test was a mouth swab, the second a nasal swab. The results have not been determined yet.

I have never heard, read, or seen a news report that Covid causes a highly elevated heart rate. I believe this to be complete hysteria and yet another example of leftist Doctors and hospitals attempting to attribute every case possible to Covid. The only outside exposure to others that my daughter has had is her thrice per week swimming lesson, the occasional foray to the grocery store and a few other brief encounters in public places - however, she always wore a mask in public and used hand-sanitizer liberally.

This is unbelievable and I believe it borders on incompetence. I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt it. I hope and pray that it's incompetence.
Oh, man.

Thats wilder than hell.

Good luck.
I had a feeling the covid synopsis was coming

They are making up new symptoms daily, out of thin air. Ears ringing, fingers tingling, metal taste in mouth, etc.
Posted By: fgold767 Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
More prayers from NC.
Are you able to view her labs on their portal?

Wondering if her hemoglobin was <13
Posted By: Ringman Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Joined the prayers. Can't get too much at it.
Covid is a virus, most likely would cause a elevation in heart rate. Its the first vital sign to be affected by infections. It’s definitely not out of the realm of possibility. Although any viral or bacterial infection would do the same, as well as lots of non infectious causes. Testing her is wise on there part I assure you. I’m sure they have checked other labs on her as well??

I for one have seen people who didn’t survive covid, first hand. So while I don’t believe half the BS the media is spewing about it, I do take it seriously. Especially for those most at risk. Have seen the same from flu, RSV, and mono as well as lots of others. I would appreciate them testing her to rule it out as best they can. Totally understand your frustrations, and don’t believe they are not warranted. The covid ward perplexes me as well. They are doing it at work, and it seems rather counterintuitive to me.

I will tell you there is probably a lot going on in the background testing wise your not aware of. They should be casting a wide net and then narrowing down based on results. You should be told about all tests done though, and the results of these tests when resulted
CMV made me tachy, but I was also dehy and anemic too.
Hgb at her age would need to be less than say 9.5-10 to start thinking anemia is the cause. If anemia at this age iron deficiency would be highly suspect. Most kids with anemia are typically profoundly anemic before they even have symptoms as they are so resilient.

CBC would have been done with her first set of labs, as well as metabolic panel.
I wont go back and forth over who has the biggest hemoglobin cock

I was just asking

I’ve lived it, I had HCT in the low 20s a few times.

High Noon, know you got your hands full; advocate all you can-best you can without getting yourself dragged off the campus. Call patient advocacy/experience, demand that her docs consult with you too. Did you release consent to your ex wife? You seem to be the legal guardian?
Thank you to everyone for your concern, prayers and thoughts, it means more to me that you can possibly know.

I will attempt to address all you questions and concerns a bit later. I have a lot on my plate at the moment.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Has anyone mentioned WPW in kids? It has a good outlook. Here's some info for you. I hope this is all it is and your daughter feels beter.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/07/high-school-football-coach-fired-portland-police-sergeant/
I would request a meeting with the hospital's chief administrastor, and mention that an attorney will also be present. That has a tendency to get the attention of big wheels in the medicsal profession. After I spent about three days in a filthy, poorly run trauma center at Vanderbilt Hospital in Nashville after a bad motorcycle wreck, I mentioned that I was about to contact the "Joint Commission on Hospital Accreditation" about ny situation. Miraculoudsly, they found me a private room within a couple of hours. They also got VERY cooperative about answering all my questions!
Jerry
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Update:

I'm in disbelief. In their great and all-knowing wisdom, the hospital personnel are treating my daughter like a Covid patient, without any evidence whatsoever that she has Covid. As such, I am now barred from visiting or spending any time with her. I can no longer advocate for her. They have put her in the Covid ward, exposing both her and my ex to the Chiner virus. My ex cannot leave, if she does, they will not allow her back in and my daughter would be alone for the duration. The hospital personnel administered a Covid test at approximately 11:00 AM yesterday and again at midnight last night. The first test was a mouth swab, the second a nasal swab. The results have not been determined yet.

I have never heard, read, or seen a news report that Covid causes a highly elevated heart rate. I believe this to be complete hysteria and yet another example of leftist Doctors and hospitals attempting to attribute every case possible to Covid. The only outside exposure to others that my daughter has had is her thrice per week swimming lesson, the occasional foray to the grocery store and a few other brief encounters in public places - however, she always wore a mask in public and used hand-sanitizer liberally.

This is unbelievable and I believe it borders on incompetence. I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt it. I hope and pray that it's incompetence.

High Noon,

You are getting lots of prayers here and with me too.
I just read this post and my heart goes out to you. The doctors that I have followed over the years say that hospitals are like prisons. The patients are at the mercy of the institution, so I'm told. What you are going through is ridiculous. I've been warning as many as possible since the covid scare about the following. Please excuse me if you already know this. I believe you do, but just in case, you certainly should be aware in your situation.

Since Mr. T. Signed the multi trillion $ executive order to provide big pharma, medical ventilators, hospitals, etc. Big bucks, there's been a major incentive to make sure that every patient is diagnosed covid positive. She will be tested with their unproven test. Once tested, they will decide on s course of protocol. In medicine, rarely is a more effective treatment used for anything when a higher profit treatment is available. Right now, a battery of expensive tests are typically employed, followed by ventilator intubation wherever possibly justifiable. I don't wish to worry you, but only to make you aware if you are not. It used to be a $40,000+ incentive to intubate. Last I heard in a news report, it was closer to $50,000.

Here is but one physician's perspective from working in his hospital the other month. I do not follow him, but thought it was worth noting, saving, and sharing with friends who have family admitted. You might want more info. If so, PM me. If you wish to share it with your ex, let her know that she may be pressured to sign off on something that you both will need to consider first. I'm not telling you what to do, but rather to be aware of the possibilities so that you both will not be caught off guard if a clip board and demand comes up suddenly. It's happened to me more than once before and the staff is extremely persuasive.

[video:youtube]https://www.brighteon.com/86f64f9a-ef05-42c2-aa74-18128a575c5e[/video]
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Modern medicine in the C19 protocol age.
I hate to think this is a auto response for C19 benjanims even if ruled out.

Stay on the Docs about your kid.

Pretty sure you can read body langauge and voice tone.
That would be an indication of behind the scenes manipulation of treatment stuff being deflected for C19 Benjamins to me.
Especially aloof type of schitt.....

That all above is my way of thinking given healthcare in this C19 stuff.

Hope she gets better and its something simple and easily overcome.
Posted By: Colorado14er Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Hang in there High_Noon. I cannot imagine what would be going through my head were I in your shoes. Thoughts and prayers for your family.
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Thoughts and prayers for your daughter, I hope they figure it out quickly.
High Noon, continuing to lift you and yours up in prayer. In the "it's a small World" department, my wife is a doc currently waiting on the test results of a young child she treated yesterday.... After she had seen the child the health department discovered that the child was in the care of adults who just tested positive for Covid 19.

Jayne and I have had a plan on how we will isolate from each other in our home if it becomes necessary. I have no clue if the hospital you are involved with is doing the very best they can to ensure the best possible out come for you daughter.... I hope they are... I would like to encourage you to take into consider that the medical staff are likely worried about the possibility of bring this virus home to their loved ones.

Medical staff also have to contend with patients totally flipping out on them.... think 70 something woman pulling a claw hammer out of her purse swinging it around threatening staff after being told the doc she wanted to see that day was not available....

Are you able to video conference with your daughter? Maintain the most diplomatic relation possible with your ex during this time of crisis? I remember reading in some divorce care literature that "Just because a marriage end the family doesn't...".

It is possible your child did contract whatever she now has in the pool.... trying to continue arguing about it right now, is something I hope you can rise above.
Posted By: Dennis81082 Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Prayers for a full recovery and soon.
Slumlord. No need to have a pissing match about it. Just giving dad info that will benefit him. Seeing as I do this for a living I’d say I’m qualified to do so. Have the training and experience to back it up as well. Worked ER for about 10 years now and icu before that.

Where I work we are only testing people with a known positive exposure or symptoms Of course everyone knows that and lies to us. Every admission is tested with a rapid test that takes maybe 1 hour to come back then placed appropriately

I can tell you the test is inaccurate. Seen too many be positive that had something else going on that was definitely the cause of their symptoms, and a few that had exposures, symptoms, and chest x rays that said covid but had negative tests. I’m not buying it

As far as if anyone in my group is manipulating because of covid, we have been told to diagnose suspected cases as acute viral syndrome, which is a standard diagnosis for things such as this. Very commonly used even before covid. We only put a diagnosis of covid if we can prove they have it. If they come for testing, and that’s all they need diagnosis is “encounter for covid 19 testing”. So maybe things in billing or administration are being manipulated, that I wouldn’t know. Sure doesn’t seem that way where I’m at
Posted By: RemModel8 Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
I'd burn down the hospital if they attempted to keep me away. No slight on you, but it's my nature.

Godspeed
Originally Posted by kevinJ
Slumlord. No need to have a pissing match about it. Just giving dad info that will benefit him. Seeing as I do this for a living I’d say I’m qualified to do so. Have the training and experience to back it up as well. Worked ER for about 10 years now and icu before that.

Where I work we are only testing people with a known positive exposure or symptoms Of course everyone knows that and lies to us. Every admission is tested with a rapid test that takes maybe 1 hour to come back then placed appropriately

I can tell you the test is inaccurate. Seen too many be positive that had something else going on that was definitely the cause of their symptoms, and a few that had exposures, symptoms, and chest x rays that said covid but had negative tests. I’m not buying it

As far as if anyone in my group is manipulating because of covid, we have been told to diagnose suspected cases as acute viral syndrome, which is a standard diagnosis for things such as this. Very commonly used even before covid. We only put a diagnosis of covid if we can prove they have it. If they come for testing, and that’s all they need diagnosis is “encounter for covid 19 testing”. So maybe things in billing or administration are being manipulated, that I wouldn’t know. Sure doesn’t seem that way where I’m at

yeah

That’s cool, I asked most of the same medical questions you did, before you, and Im NOT qualified to do so, no schooling in medical, no 10 years in ER medicine.

Glad youre on top of it.

“7mm08” on a other forum? Ruger, Kimber, come pick me up....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You suggested energy drink or Similar candy. Definitely good question. Why parents let kids have these I’ll never know

Asked about why she sees endocrinologist. Definitely good question I asked the same

Recent vaccines. Not something I would see as pertinent To tachycardia, but not a bad question when obtaining medical Hx

Daily meds. Highly important.

So while you asked some great questions. I don’t Think your qualified. No offense, but what experience in the medical field do you have other than personal experiences If you are experienced and educated/trained in medicine then by all means I digress

If you would like my training, licensure, and experience Detailed for you I would be more than glad.

You made a good suggestion in what is her hemoglobin level. But less than 13 is not the basis for kids or adults. Rather than dad going down a rabbit hole of is that the cause I gave him actual numbers we start thinking of it as a cause. Wasn’t trying to insult you.
You suggested energy drink or Similar candy. Definitely good question. Why parents let kids have these I’ll never know

Asked about why she sees endocrinologist. Definitely good question I asked the same

Recent vaccines. Not something I would see as pertinent To tachycardia, but not a bad question when obtaining medical Hx

Daily meds. Highly important.

So while you asked some great questions. I don’t Think your qualified. No offense, but what experience in the medical field do you have other than personal experiences If you are experienced and educated/trained in medicine then by all means I digress

If you would like my training, licensure, and experience Detailed for you I would be more than glad.

You made a good suggestion in what is her hemoglobin level. But less than 13 is not the basis for kids or adults. Rather than dad going down a rabbit hole of is that the cause I gave him actual numbers we start thinking of it as a cause. Wasn’t trying to insult you.

In short, we know better than you about you. Typical
Actually. Yes. When it comes to figuring out medically what is wrong. Unless you know how to interpret labs, symptoms,EKG, imaging, and what diseases typically cause such changes. Then I’d say yes. We do know more than you about you from a medical disease process standpoint. Most times people have theories or believe they know what is wrong with them. They are wrong typically. WebMD and come to ER thinking they have some crazy disease process. Every once in a while they are right. So you listen and address the concerns Rather than just wright it off. History of present illness is very important, as is past medical history

In this case the young girl has one reported symptom. Tachycardia. Very vague symptom minus any other pertinent information or symptoms. I would love to know more as that would be very helpful in guiding dad on specific questions he should be asking and tests he should be requesting.

I do find it very important to listen to what my patients are telling me, and if they have any thoughts as to what is causing their symptoms. Sometimes they have a hx of such and know exactly what is wrong. Definitely makes your job easier Or they give you a part of the history that is the key to figuring it out.

I simply corrected a couple of people suggesting things that are either highly unlikely(afib) in a kid and would have been diagnosed very quickly, or aren’t entirely correct
Posted By: ribka Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Thank you to everyone for your concern, prayers and thoughts, it means more to me that you can possibly know.

I will attempt to address all you questions and concerns a bit later. I have a lot on my plate at the moment.

Hopefully you can find a competent cardiologist to figure this out. Must be very frustrating .
Actually. Yes. When it comes to figuring out medically what is wrong. Unless you know how to interpret labs, symptoms,EKG, imaging, and what diseases typically cause such changes. Then I’d say yes. We do know more than you about you from a medical disease process standpoint. Most times people have theories or believe they know what is wrong with them. They are wrong typically. WebMD and come to ER thinking they have some crazy disease process. Every once in a while they are right. So you listen and address the concerns Rather than just wright it off. History of present illness is very important, as is past medical history

In this case the young girl has one reported symptom. Tachycardia. Very vague symptom minus any other pertinent information or symptoms. I would love to know more as that would be very helpful in guiding dad on specific questions he should be asking and tests he should be requesting.

I do find it very important to listen to what my patients are telling me, and if they have any thoughts as to what is causing their symptoms. Sometimes they have a hx of such and know exactly what is wrong. Definitely makes your job easier Or they give you a part of the history that is the key to figuring it out.

I simply corrected a couple of people suggesting things that are either highly unlikely(afib) in a kid and would have been diagnosed very quickly, or aren’t entirely correct

K
My wife's sister texted her a picture a few days ago of a tee shirt that said:

DOCTOR

Here to explain to you why you are probably not dying from something you read about on the Internet....

Everyone is more stressed than base line.... people that were for whatever reason, staring into the abyss as their baseline before Covid are really losing it now.

Kevin, thank you for posting.... "interesting times" to be practicing medicine.... hang in there.
I’ve had surgeons with phDs, MBAs, surgeon that transplanted Steve Jobs,

Teams of people, that I have caught overlooking labs, diagnostics, mis read radiological studies. Ones that couldnt proficiently anastomize a vien or ureter or artery, had to remind docs...duh were you going to do this?/that?

Save myself an emergency biopsy once and all the time for Dr Doufuss to read it and make the report. Told them I though I was hydronephrosed, US confirmed it in 20 minutes.

Credentials, licenses, etc

I still question it and respect it very little.

If youre a good egg, cool. No offense intended, and I didnt take it that way from your post.

I get the rabbit hole idea, and Im not a pediatric hematologist.

👍
Originally Posted by slumlord
I’ve had surgeons with phDs, MBAs, surgeon that transplanted Steve Jobs,

Teams of people, that I have caught overlooking labs, diagnostics, mis read radiological studies. Ones that couldnt proficiently anastomize a vien or ureter or artery, had to remind docs...duh were you going to do this?/that?

Save myself an emergency biopsy once and all the time for Dr Doufuss to read it and make the report. Told them I though I was hydronephrosed, US confirmed it in 20 minutes.

Credentials, licenses, etc

I still question it and respect it very little.

If youre a good egg, cool. No offense intended, and I didnt take it that way from your post.

I get the rabbit hole idea, and Im not a pediatric hematologist.

👍

That can't be right, Kevin will prove you wrong.........

[bleep] doctors
Unfortunately incompetent Dr screw ups killed my grandmother and father. Having spent many days in hospitals I was shocked at the number of mistakes, and misdiagnosis, wrong meds, laksadaical attitude.Ive been lied to more than once by Dr's. I would never go into a hospital without a health advocate with me. I have many friends in healthcare and they admit many many mistakes and poor care is common. You would think paying $10,000 a day would get you decent care.

Originally Posted by 2ndwind

DOCTOR

Here to explain to you why you are probably not dying from something you read about on the Internet....

Everyone is more stressed than base line.... people that were for whatever reason, staring into the abyss as their baseline before Covid are really losing it now.

Kevin, thank you for posting.... "interesting times" to be practicing medicine.... hang in there.
Originally Posted by ribka

Unfortunately incompetent Dr screw ups killed my grandmother and father. Having spent many days in hospitals I was shocked at the number of mistakes, and misdiagnosis, wrong meds, laksadaical attitude. I would never go into a hospital without a health advocate with me. I have many friends in healthcare and they admit many many mistakes and poor care is common.

DOCTOR

My dad questioned his doctor and was knocked down about the questions. My dad died a few months later and about 2 years later it was found that said doctor had a fake medical degree.

That was almost 40 years ago, so I'm sure every doctor today is top notch.

[bleep] those narcissistic bastards.
Like i said. Sorry. I wasn’t trying to be a jackassss. I wasn’t trying to insult you either. Meant no disrespect at all. Was just trying to elaborate further details to what you were saying to help dad out there. Would gladly grab a beer and dinner with you if you ever make it to my side of the state.

We are and can be wrong. Many times. Misdiagnosis happens. Been there done that. Thankfully minor things that caused no lasting issues Or hurt anyone. Doesn’t matter how good you are or how hard you try for your patients. Some people get complacent. That’s when big problems typically arise. Seen that as well

Remmodel8. Not sure why you feel the need to speak out. I think I posted previously that I meant no insult or disrespect. I think slumlord took my intentions the wrong way, yet you wanna chose a side when no sides are necessary and stir the pot. Good for you
ASK a well seasoned nurse how many they have to correct Drs from fatal mistakes, misprescribed meds.

Originally Posted by RemModel8
Originally Posted by ribka

Unfortunately incompetent Dr screw ups killed my grandmother and father. Having spent many days in hospitals I was shocked at the number of mistakes, and misdiagnosis, wrong meds, laksadaical attitude. I would never go into a hospital without a health advocate with me. I have many friends in healthcare and they admit many many mistakes and poor care is common.

DOCTOR

My dad questioned his doctor and was knocked down about the questions. My dad died a few months later and about 2 years later it was found that said doctor had a fake medical degree.

That was almost 40 years ago, so I'm sure every doctor today is top notch.

[bleep] those narcissistic bastards.
Like i said. Sorry. I wasn’t trying to be a jackassss. I wasn’t trying to insult you either. Meant no disrespect at all. Was just trying to elaborate further details to what you were saying to help dad out there. Would gladly grab a beer and dinner with you if you ever make it to my side of the state.

We are and can be wrong. Many times. Misdiagnosis happens. Been there done that. Thankfully minor things that caused no lasting issues Or hurt anyone. Doesn’t matter how good you are or how hard you try for your patients. Some people get complacent. That’s when big problems typically arise. Seen that as well

Remmodel8. Not sure why you feel the need to speak out. I think I posted previously that I meant no insult or disrespect. I think slumlord took my intentions the wrong way, yet you wanna chose a side when no sides are necessary and stir the pot. Good for you

Kiss my ass, I mean no insult of disrespect.

Are you able to comprehend the correlation?
Yep. Sure do. GFY.

Good luck to your daughter high noon. Hope she does well. Will be praying for her.

Time to get ready to go to work a 12 hour shift in the ER Tonight. Good fun.
Posted By: deadlift_dude Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20

Chlidrens in Dallas if you truly fear for your daughter. Accept no substitutes.
Yep. Sure do. GFY.

Good luck to your daughter high noon. Hope she does well. Will be praying for her.

Time to get ready to go to work a 12 hour shift in the ER Tonight. Good fun.

RN?
Emergency nurse practitioner/family nurse practitioner. Dual certified

That's cool.
Technically still a RN as well as I have to maintain that licensure as well. Not sure why except the state wants the license money for it

I apologize, I assumed you were a dude. My bad
So guys can’t be nurses I see. Nice insult. Never heard that one. Make yourself look foolish is all you did. I know lots of male nurses from all different walks of life. Most are hard working guys who aren’t sissy boys. Including myself. Before nursing I was a trim carpenter, and a laborer for brick mason before that to pay for college.
Update: I dropped off a care package for my daughter, clothes, toiletries, laptop computer, video games, books, magazines, all sorts of snacks, water, & art supplies. I also provided snacks, water and chick-mags for the ex. All this made Julia (my daughter) exceedingly happy, which caused my eyes to water a bit. She was so happy, in fact, that her pulse increased from today’s low of 69 up to 95. Nothing is easy, however. When I dropped off her bags at the Security office, they told me they would take it right up to her – that took nearly 2 hours and multiple phone calls.

I also found out that as of an hour ago the hospital had zero pediatric Covid cases.

A problem with me not able to be there with my daughter is that I am getting information 2nd and 3rd hand, and much of it is erroneous. I found out that Julia is not in a “Covid Ward.” She is in PICU (Pediatric Intensive Care Unit) isolated in a private room. Apparently, she is there until they rule out the Kung Flu.

I may have given y’all a couple of false impressions:

1) Julia is in relatively good spirits. Other than her fluctuating heart rate that varies from 67 to 150, she is in no pain or discomfort. The increase pulse causes her to twitch and become a bit anxious, but does not cause her pain. Yesterday, when they stuck her repeatedly for the IV, I ran the nurse off and demanded an expert. They hurt her trying to find a vein and they got her blood all over the place. That is the only real pain she has experienced.

2) The ex-wife. For the most part, she really is a good and caring Mother and she earns a more than decent living as an SLP. We share custody 50/50 – no alimony or child support and between us, we are able to provide for our daughter – she is not left wanting. We get along just fine as long as I do whatever she wishes, but that is not very often. I simply will not agree to most of her ideas because a great many of her ideas are asinine. As soon as I question her, refuse to do what she asks, or simply say no, all Hell breaks loose and she resorts to insulting me in the meanest way possible, which I have never, ever done to her. She’s a chick after all and prone to fits of irrationality.

I will now attempt to answer all your questions:

First, many thanks to Blu, hillbillybear, bluefish, Sako76, 12344mag, JamesJr, TRH, jwp475, tnscouter, Scotty, RichardAustin, fgold767, Ringman, Colorado14er, Stormin_norman, & Dennis81082 for all your thoughts and prayers.

EE: Thank you for the prayers. I hope your friend’s kids recovered well from the plague and he has recovered financially as well. It never ceases to amaze me that every day, America allows hordes of foreigners into our country without any medical screening at all. Not to mention Chiner, but Mexico, in particular, it responsible for the resurgence of Measles, Plague, Polio, etc. in our country. I see it first-hand here on the border.

Seafire: Thanks Jon, I appreciate your thoughts and prayers.

CCCC: Thank you Paul. We are doing our best to maintain a positive outlook, which is difficult when you’re surrounded by apparent incompetence. The service and attention Julia has received in the hospital is abysmal. Aside from the lack of attention from nurses and doctors, the breakfast they brought her had obviously been sitting out for hours and was ice cold and disgusting. It took them 3 hours for them to bring my ex a coffee and once they did it was ice cold. They have yet to give Julia any water and they keep making excuses. All of it is unacceptable. I am also worried about this Kung Flu test as I do not trust them and I do not trust the hospital or the doctors here to make a correct diagnosis – I have had first-hand experience with incorrect diagnosis here in El Paso.

CharlieFoxtrot: Thank you and I will continue to advocate for my daughter from afar, since they won’t allow me in to see her.

Superlight17b: Thank you sir. My daughter has probably had that messikan stomach bug 15 times since we’ve lived in EP. I have had it twice here in EP and, as you stated, it’s absolutely miserable and I also have never been so sick in my life. I never remember getting sick like that when I was a youngster – in Dallas.

Thank you bartman. Little girls are the best and she is indeed the most important thing in my life.

Miles: Thank you sir. I appreciate your kind words. Julia is indeed a special kind of ‘las and she is so much fun to be around. She always keeps me laughing – she’s absolutely hilarious – maybe that’s because while my ex was in labor I was telling pirate jokes the whole time. You wouldn’t believe some of the stuff that comes out of her mouth – or maybe you would since you’ve seen some of her antics first-hand! I can honestly say that for me, she makes life worth living.

rockinbbar: Thank you sir. Yep, EP hospitals leave a lot to be desired. I am also extremely leery of all the messikan doctors here who received their PHds from Mexican Universities. It’s a fact that American universities are an order of magnitude more rigorous. It’s also a fact that when American students fail to get accepted into an American medical school they often resort to attending Mexican medical schools. Go ahead and call me a racist, but I’m not thrilled at the prospect of my sweet daughter being treated by a swarthy Mexican who received his Phd in Guadalajara and thinks leeches are an effective treatment.

wabigoon: Thank you. Your prayers are appreciated.

kevinJ: Thank you. I understand the situation and that these doctors are extremely busy, but you’re correct that the wait time has been both excessive and unacceptable. They have already ruled out anything to do with her heart. EKG is normal, as stated. Yes, blood work was done more than once. I do not know all the results yet. The dehydration hypothesis was suggested and could indeed be the cause – or least a contributing factor, but I find it unlikely as I make certain she has an insulated cup of ice water at all times and I’m quick to refill it and get more ice as needed. She drinks a lot of water. However, with the temp. hovering around 107° - 108° and spiking at 113° the last few weeks, it’s certainly a possibility. One of the doctors thought it might be a viral infection that is causing the rapid heart rate. I think this is a real possibility since she was once again afflicted with the messikan stomach bug about a month ago – which I’m sure she picked up from some kid at the swimming lessons the ex insisted upon. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to learn that the virus is still in her system, wreaking havoc in her little body. Regarding her endocrinologist (and this fits right in with the misdiagnosis problems we have experienced here in EP) I’d rather not get into the details right now, but suffice it to say that her messikan, Juarez educated endocrinologist diagnosed her with an extremely rare type of hormonal/genetic disease (likely because this is his specialty), which requires daily meds, monthly injections and require me to pack an emergency injection at all times. (With your experience you might be able to guess the disorder). The thing is, that for her to have this disease, both parents (or both our families) must be so afflicted, which is not the case. Another disagreement between me and the ex was to get a 2nd opinion regarding this diagnosis, which she finally agreed to after 3 months of me advocating for it. The endocrinologist who provided the 2nd opinion is currently practicing at Cook Medical and previously practiced at Philly Children’s and he is recognized as a top endocrinologists. His opinion contradicted her El Paso endocrinologist. After studying her case for 3 weeks he does not believe the original diagnosis is correct and has ordered genetic testing to prove it, which was approved by her insurance yesterday. So we shall see who was correct – me or the highly touted Mexican endocrinologist here in EP. Also, I was unaware that a virus can be responsible for an elevated heart rate – thanks and thank you again for the information you provided as well as your thoughts and prayers.

bowfisher: Thanks, but no spider bites lately.

Slum: Thanks. I don’t know her hemoglobin level. I asked, but have yet to receive an answer. I do not have access to her portal or the lab results. I will make an inquiry. Also, you are correct that they the MSM is lying about Kung Flu and making up all sorts of false symptoms. I don’t believe a damn thing I hear on the news. As an example, the MSM is telling everyone that every hospital bed it taken and hospitals are overflowing in TX. Complete BS. The MSM is in the business of spreading fear and ensuring Biden wins the election.

smarquez: I am unfamiliar with WPW. Is the link you posted correct – it seems to be about a Portland football coach who was fired b/c he’s a police Sergeant – but I only scanned the article.

Jerry: Thank you. I will take that under advisement if it come to it, which is rapidly approaching.

Happy_Camper: Thanks. Yes, I am familiar with the information you posted and I am taking anything they tell me with a healthy dose of skepticism and I have already discussed some of it with the ex.

renegade50: Thank you. I am doing what I can from afar since they won’t let me into the hospital. I like to think that the hospital is altruistic, but the unfortunate reality is that money talks. We’re praying for the best and like you, I hope it’s a simple issue that will be pinpointed sooner rather than later.

2ndwind: Thank you. Sorry to hear Jayne may have been exposed, but I’m happy to know you have a plan. I would like to think that the hospital is working in my daughter’s best interest, but if the experience we’ve had so far is any indication, I’m not overly hopeful. Generally, the ex and I are fine in situations such as these. I initially offered to relieve her, but that is not possible due to the hospital’s procedures so I am doing all I can from afar to help both her and my daughter. I am thankful that she is able to be there for my daughter during this difficult time. I am not initiating any arguments with her regarding the genesis of the problem – there will be plenty of time for “I told you so’s” at a later date – preferably when the ex comes up w/ yet another cockamamie idea. Right now, it’s important we remain strong and present a united front for our daughter.

RemModel8: Fabulous idea, but I’d rather not have to deal with the very real possibility of incarceration, and the associated expense, should I decide to take your advice.

ribka: Thanks but I believe we are past that at this point - heart-related issues have already been ruled out by the doctors.

jfruser: Yep. I wanted to take her to Children’s Medical in Dallas in the first place, unfortunately, her insurance would only approve a facility/doctor locally – in EP.

Update: I dropped off a care package for my daughter, clothes, toiletries, laptop computer, video games, books, magazines, all sorts of snacks, water, & art supplies. I also provided snacks, water and chick-mags for the ex. All this made Julia (my daughter) exceedingly happy, which caused my eyes to water a bit. She was so happy, in fact, that her pulse increased from today’s low of 69 up to 95. Nothing is easy, however. When I dropped off her bags at the Security office, they told me they would take it right up to her – that took nearly 2 hours and multiple phone calls.

I also found out that as of an hour ago the hospital had zero pediatric Covid cases.

A problem with me not able to be there with my daughter is that I am getting information 2nd and 3rd hand, and much of it is erroneous. I found out that Julia is not in a “Covid Ward.” She is in PICU (Pediatric Intensive Care Unit) isolated in a private room. Apparently, she is there until they rule out the Kung Flu.

1) Julia is in relatively good spirits. Other than her fluctuating heart rate that varies from 67 to 150, she is in no pain or discomfort. The increase pulse causes her to twitch and become a bit anxious, but does not cause her pain. Yesterday, when they stuck her repeatedly for the IV, I ran the nurse off and demanded an expert. They hurt her trying to find a vein and they got her blood all over the place. That is the only real pain she has experienced.

2) The ex-wife. For the most part, she really is a good and caring Mother and she earns a more than decent living as an SLP. We share custody 50/50 – no alimony or child support and between us, we are able to provide for our daughter – she is not left wanting. We get along just fine as long as I do whatever she wishes, but that is not very often. I simply will not agree to most of her ideas because a great many of her ideas are asinine. As soon as I question her, refuse to do what she asks, or simply say no, all Hell breaks loose and she resorts to insulting me in the meanest way possible, which I have never, ever done to her. She’s a chick after all and prone to fits of irrationality.

First, many thanks to Blu, hillbillybear, bluefish, Sako76, 12344mag, JamesJr, TRH, jwp475, tnscouter, Scotty, RichardAustin, fgold767, Ringman, Colorado14er, Stormin_norman, & Dennis81082 for all your thoughts and prayers.

EE: Thank you for the prayers. I hope your friend’s kids recovered well from the plague and he has recovered financially as well. It never ceases to amaze me that every day, America allows hordes of foreigners into our country without any medical screening at all. Not to mention Chiner, but Mexico, in particular, it responsible for the resurgence of Measles, Plague, Polio, etc. in our country. I see it first-hand here on the border.

CCCC: Thank you Paul. We are doing our best to maintain a positive outlook, which is difficult when you’re surrounded by apparent incompetence. The service and attention Julia has received in the hospital is abysmal. Aside from the lack of attention from nurses and doctors, the breakfast they brought her had obviously been sitting out for hours and was ice cold and disgusting. It took them 3 hours for them to bring my ex a coffee and once they did it was ice cold. They have yet to give Julia any water and they keep making excuses. All of it is unacceptable. I am also worried about this Kung Flu test as I do not trust them and I do not trust the hospital or the doctors here to make a correct diagnosis – I have had first-hand experience with incorrect diagnosis here in El Paso.

CharlieFoxtrot: Thank you and I will continue to advocate for my daughter from afar, since they won’t allow me in to see her.

Superlight17b: Thank you sir. My daughter has probably had that messikan stomach bug 15 times since we’ve lived in EP. I have had it twice here in EP and, as you stated, it’s absolutely miserable and I also have never been so sick in my life. I never remember getting sick like that when I was a youngster – in Dallas.

Thank you bartman. Little girls are the best and she is indeed the most important thing in my life.

Miles: Thank you sir. I appreciate your kind words. Julia is indeed a special kind of ‘las and she is so much fun to be around. She always keeps me laughing – she’s absolutely hilarious – maybe that’s because while my ex was in labor I was telling pirate jokes the whole time. You wouldn’t believe some of the stuff that comes out of her mouth – or maybe you would since you’ve seen some of her antics first-hand! I can honestly say that for me, she makes live worth living.

rockinbbar: Thank you sir. Yep, EP hospitals leave a lot to be desired. I am also extremely leery of all the messikan doctors here who received their PHds from Mexican Universities. It’s a fact that American universities are an order of magnitude more rigorous. It’s also a fact that when American students fail to get accepted into an American medical school they often resort to attending Mexican medical schools. Go ahead and call me a racist, but I’m not thrilled at the prospect of my sweet daughter being treated by a swarthy Mexican who received his Phd in Guadalajara and thinks leeches are an effective treatment.

kevinJ: Thank you. I understand the situation and that these doctors are extremely busy, but you’re correct that the wait time has been both excessive and unacceptable. They have already ruled out anything to do with her heart. EKG is normal, as stated. Yes, blood work was done more than once. I do not know all the results yet. The dehydration hypothesis was suggested and could indeed be the cause – or least a contributing factor, but I find it unlikely as I make certain she has an insulated cup of ice water at all times and I’m quick to refill it and get more ice as needed. She drinks a lot of water. However, with the temp. hovering around 107° - 108° and spiking at 113° the last few weeks, it’s certainly a possibility. One of the doctors thought it might be a viral infection that is causing the rapid heart rate. I think this is a real possibility since she was once again afflicted with the messikan stomach bug about a month ago – which I’m sure she picked up from some kid at the swimming lessons the ex insisted upon. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to learn that the virus is still in her system, wreaking havoc in her little body. Regarding her endocrinologist (and this fits right in with the misdiagnosis problems we have experienced here in EP) I’d rather not get into the details right now, but suffice it to say that her messikan, Juarez educated endocrinologist diagnosed her with an extremely rare type of hormonal/genetic disease (likely because this is his specialty), which requires daily meds, monthly injections and require me to pack an emergency injection at all times. (With your experience you might be able to guess the disease). The thing is, that for her to have this disease, both parents (or both our families) must be so afflicted, which is not the case. Another disagreement between me and the ex was to get a 2nd opinion regarding this diagnosis, which she finally agreed to after 3 months of me advocating for it. The endocrinologist who provided the 2nd opinion is currently practicing at Cook Medical and previously practiced at Philly Children’s and he is recognized as one of the top endocrinologists in the world. His opinion contradicted her El Paso endocrinologist. After studying her case for 3 weeks he does not believe the original diagnosis is correct and has ordered genetic testing to prove it, which was approved by her insurance yesterday. So we shall see who was correct – me or the highly touted Mexican endocrinologist here in EP. Also, I was unaware that a virus can be responsible for an elevated heart rate – thanks and thank you again for the information you provided as well as your thoughts and prayers.

Slum: Thanks. I don’t know her hemoglobin level. I asked, but have yet to receive an answer. I do not have access to her portal or the lab results. I will make an inquiry. Also, you are correct that they the MSM is lying about Kung Flu and making up all sorts of false symptoms. I don’t believe a damn thing I hear on the news. As an example, the MSM is telling everyone that every hospital bed it taken and hospitals are overflowing in TX. Complete BS. The MSM is in the business of spreading fear and ensuring Biden wins the election.

smarquez: I am unfamiliar with WPW. Is the link you posted correct – it seems to be about a Portland football coach who was fired b/c he’s a police Sergeant – but I only scanned the article.

Jerry: Thank you. I will take that under advisement if it come to it, which is rapidly approaching.

Happy_Camper: Thanks. Yes, I am familiar with the information you posted and I am taking anything they tell me with a healthy dose of skepticism and I have already discussed some of it with the ex.

renegade50: Thank you. I am doing what I can from afar since they won’t let me into the hospital. I like to think that the hospital is altruistic, but the unfortunate reality is that money talks. We’re praying for the best and like you, I hope it’s a simple issue that will be pinpointed sooner rather than later.

2ndwind: Thank you. Sorry to hear Jayne may have been exposed, but I’m happy to know you have a plan. I would like to think that the hospital is working in my daughter’s best interest, but if the experience we’ve had so far is any indication, I’m not overly hopeful. Generally, the ex and I are fine in situations such as these. I initially offered to relieve her, but that is not possible due to the hospital’s procedures so I am doing all I can from afar to help both her and my daughter. I am thankful that she is able to be there for my daughter during this difficult time. I am not initiating any arguments with her regarding the genesis of the problem – there will be plenty of time for “I told you so’s” at a later date – preferably when the ex comes up w/ yet another cockamamie idea. Right now, it’s important we remain strong and present a united front for our daughter.

RemModel8: Fabulous idea, but I’d rather not have to deal with the very real possibility of incarceration, and the associated expense, should I decide to take your advice.

ribka: Thanks but I believe we are past that at this point - heart-related issues have already been ruled out by the doctors.

jfruser: Yep. I wanted to take her to Children’s Medical in Dallas in the first place, unfortunately, her insurance would only approve a facility/doctor locally – in EP.

I hear you, completely.

That said, if everyone thunk that way we'd be goose steeping today.
Posted By: downwindtracker2 Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
I remember my dad saying that there are some doctors who passed with a 50%.
Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Just saw this Kevin. Call if there is anything I can do for you.
Thanks Tracy. Will do.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
Hang in there. Even the Mexican doctors have soft spots for little girls.... everybody is working to get her healthy and back home. Praying it’ll be very soon.
Thanks Dutch. I pray you are correct.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/24/20
From what you have said here i would get a lawyer and sic them on the hospital and on your ex.

Hope she gets better.
plainsman: Thanks. Unfortunately, I do not have the disposable income, which would allow me to go around suing people.

Suing my ex wouldn't accomplish much and it would cost a minimum of $20K. I received an extremely favorable result (decree) in my divorce and if I get the wrong judge, which is likely in this town, I run the risk of a much worse outcome.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/25/20
Stay strong for your Daughter.

I have three all grown up now I can only imagine what your going thru.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/25/20
Thanks Fat & will do.
So I told Julia about everyone's thoughts and prayers. She wanted me to thank you all on her behalf. I think she was a bit floored and she really didn't know what else to say. The support both she and I have received here on the 'fire is very nearly overwhelming. Thank you all again.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/25/20
‘Noon does your daughter have her own cell phone that can stay with her, charger, long wire, etc? If so are you able to face time her back and forth?

That might make things nice for both of you, considering.

Slum, Yes, she has all that with her in the hospital. I'm not sure about facetime though. I know she knows how to work it, so I will have to ask her to instruct me. In the meantime, however, we text, speak on the phone and send photos to one another. She also has her Mom there, so that has been helpful for her. Apparently, she has become emotional and anxious while in the PICU, in isolation, in a room without windows (which is understandable) and has asked her Mom for hugs several times. Poor girl.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/25/20
High Noon, I am in your corner here also. I have no medical advice I'd pass along, no criticism of anything or anyone...just hopes and prayers that your daughter makes a rapid and full recovery.
RR: Thank you sir.
Posted By: tx270 Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/25/20
Prayers for your daughter
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/25/20
'Noon, you're a good dad and you're there for her. That's all that matters.
Posted By: bcolorado Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/25/20
Dang, just saw this. Prayers offered up for Julia and you.

It sure can be frustrating for a Dad in this situation.

~brian
Posted By: leesway2 Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/25/20
I cant offer much more than prayers, And yall have them. Ask your x to take lots of notes, what they do what they say ect. Every day notes is great cause the next day ya wont remember what everybody said. The staff will catch on she is takeing notes and will then tell her what they are doing and what they are going to do. Prayers to yall from North West Florida
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/25/20
Hope you can out last her and Hope that your Daughter gets a handle on whatever is causing her grief.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/25/20
Continued prayers from N.C.
Posted By: memtb Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/25/20

Prayer# for you daughter! Nothing worse than having a sick child....you feel so helpless! memtb
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/25/20
Prayers for your daughters healing, comforting, and strength and for your comforting and strength.
Dave
Quick update: Julia is Covid negative. They're moving her to another non-PICU pediatric room tonight. Hopefully, it will have a window. I will try to respond to everyone later - I'm a bit drained right now.

They have also said that they don't think it's a viral infection - apparently, her blood work did not indicate such, but I'm not certain how they came to this conclusion. I hope they can get to the bottom of this...
Posted By: slumlord Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/25/20
First step to better, much. better news.
Posted By: EdM Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/25/20
Wow. I remember not long ago sending you Tabasco Sauce because you did not want to get out. Happy to read that your little girl is slowly awakening.
Posted By: pahick Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/25/20
Prayers for the young lady.

When you say thyroid was normal, was it just TSH? Or did they actually test Free T3, Free T4, TPO and TGaB antibodies? TSI? Cant just test TSH(pituitary) levels when she may be suffering Hashimotots or Graves. How about cortisol levels(Adrenals?)

All I can say is, God is good. Shes in good hands.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/25/20

Miles: Thank you sir. I appreciate your kind words. Julia is indeed a special kind of ‘las and she is so much fun to be around. She always keeps me laughing – she’s absolutely hilarious – maybe that’s because while my ex was in labor I was telling pirate jokes the whole time. You wouldn’t believe some of the stuff that comes out of her mouth – or maybe you would since you’ve seen some of her antics first-hand! I can honestly say that for me, she makes life worth living.

kevinJ: Thank you. I understand the situation and that these doctors are extremely busy, but you’re correct that the wait time has been both excessive and unacceptable. They have already ruled out anything to do with her heart. EKG is normal, as stated. Yes, blood work was done more than once. I do not know all the results yet. The dehydration hypothesis was suggested and could indeed be the cause – or least a contributing factor, but I find it unlikely as I make certain she has an insulated cup of ice water at all times and I’m quick to refill it and get more ice as needed. She drinks a lot of water. However, with the temp. hovering around 107° - 108° and spiking at 113° the last few weeks, it’s certainly a possibility. One of the doctors thought it might be a viral infection that is causing the rapid heart rate. I think this is a real possibility since she was once again afflicted with the messikan stomach bug about a month ago – which I’m sure she picked up from some kid at the swimming lessons the ex insisted upon. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to learn that the virus is still in her system, wreaking havoc in her little body. Regarding her endocrinologist (and this fits right in with the misdiagnosis problems we have experienced here in EP) I’d rather not get into the details right now, but suffice it to say that her messikan, Juarez educated endocrinologist diagnosed her with an extremely rare type of hormonal/genetic disease (likely because this is his specialty), which requires daily meds, monthly injections and require me to pack an emergency injection at all times. (With your experience you might be able to guess the disorder). The thing is, that for her to have this disease, both parents (or both our families) must be so afflicted, which is not the case. Another disagreement between me and the ex was to get a 2nd opinion regarding this diagnosis, which she finally agreed to after 3 months of me advocating for it. The endocrinologist who provided the 2nd opinion is currently practicing at Cook Medical and previously practiced at Philly Children’s and he is recognized as a top endocrinologists. His opinion contradicted her El Paso endocrinologist. After studying her case for 3 weeks he does not believe the original diagnosis is correct and has ordered genetic testing to prove it, which was approved by her insurance yesterday. So we shall see who was correct – me or the highly touted Mexican endocrinologist here in EP. Also, I was unaware that a virus can be responsible for an elevated heart rate – thanks and thank you again for the information you provided as well as your thoughts and prayers.

Terrible quote Fu from me I'm sorry to throw confusion at you in this trying time for you. would have thought that some medical professional would have looked at WPW by now. I only brought it up since I saw it a few times as a paramedic and the first time I saw it, it scared the bejeesus out of me.
https://www.mottchildren.org/conditions-treatments/ped-heart/conditions/supraventricular-tachycardia
Update: Julia is getting more and more stressed and anxious as her time at the hospital increases. Lots of crying now. I feel so bad for her and I wish I could be there with her. I'm sure she is very frightened. This breaks my heart.

The Pediatric Cardiologist saw her this AM and has ordered an echo cardiogram and an ultra sound. He said that sometimes people just have this increased pulse problem and that she may need a low-dose beta-blocker. I pray that is not the case. We will know more when the test is complete. Julia will remain at the hospital another night. I sure hope they can pin down this issue.

Ed: Yep. I remember that as well and I again extend my thanks. I hope you received my reimbursement. Unfortunately, after a couple of months my stores began to dwindle and I had to venture out to replenish the stock.

pahick: Thank you. I asked my ex to find out how, exactly, the Thyroid test was administered. Her adrenals are a bit out of whack, but she’s been on a medication for several months now for that. The Endocrinologist has assured us that the issues she is now experiencing are not related to this medication, but I’m not so sure. I will look into Hashimotos and Graves.

smarquez: No problem and I asked the ex to speak to the pediatric cardiologist about SVT.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/25/20
Thank you, Noon, I'm still thinking, and praying for her.
Thank you sir.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/25/20
I'm so sorry you are going through this.
Posted By: pahick Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/25/20
High Noon, you said your daughter has been treated for adrenal issues. Though her Endo says that doesnt have anything to due with her high heart rate, id seek a 2nd opinion. Like I said above, certain thyroid conditions can cause high/fluctuating heart rate, so can adrenals. I surely am not a doc, but id be pressing them to take another look at these 2.

As far as anxiety, thats normal under the circumstances, but uncontrolled anxiety can exacerbate the issues at hand. Might be worth asking for low dose benzo like xanax for short term to keep her calm?

I really feel for her, and your family. Continued prayers!

PS...Id not consent to beta blocker unless its absolutely needed until they find the REAL cause. Does she have Cushings Syndrome? Addisons Disease? Whats the reason for adrenal treatment?

Update: We do not have the results of the echo cardiogram yet, but they gave her a beta blocker, with my ex's consent. The beta blocker has made her feel much, much better. If the echo cardiogram is negative I believe she will be discharged and continue to see the pediatric cardiologist on an out-patient basis until they can get all this sorted.

MM: Thanks.

pahick: Thanks. I agree with you regarding a second opinion and we already have a call into her other endocrinologist - the one from Cook's Medical that has contradicted the El Paso endocrinologist's diagnosis. They gave her Ativan to help with the anxiety.
Posted By: brassman Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/25/20
Prayers sent.
Posted By: rufous Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/25/20
This verse just popped up on my phone and it seems appropriate. I am praying for you and your daughter.

Like as a father pitieth his children, so the Lord pitieth them that fear him.
Psalms 103:13 KJV
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/26/20
Kevin, we are happy to hear that the "authorities" seem to be getting a handle on this problem.
We are also hoping Julia can return to a (semi/new) normal lifestyle in the very near future.
God bless the three of you.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/26/20
No new updates, but Julia is feeling much better. I am not sure when she will be discharged, hopefully tomorrow. I don't like the idea of her going home without knowing the cause of her Arrhythmia.

brassman & rufous: Thanks.

Mark: Thank you. I do not know how long it will be until she can resume normal activities. I still think that all this was caused by the medication her EP endocrinologist prescribed. No one else here thinks the same, but the fact is that these issues only manifested after she had been on them for a few months. Still waiting to hear back from the endocrinologist in Dallas who will hopefully confirm my hypothesis or at least have some better news. I know Julia must under more testing before they can figure out what is causing these issues.

Posted By: troutfly Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/26/20
Sending up prayers for your girl and your family. I know exactly how you are feeling.
as my youngest son has had heart issues since birth.
Jeff
Posted By: mike7mm08 Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/26/20
Some personal experience to share. About 7 years ago, age 35, I ended up in the ER with a heart rate of 188. Just out of the blue. Wake up one morning and had the hiccups. Got a little short of breath before I got rid of them. When I did heart was racing. After about an hour I knew something was not right. First stop was the walkin clinic. Doc checked my heart rate and he looked downright scared. Called 911 got taken to ER via ambulance.

Had SVT. Save all the details of the ER. But in the end they actually had to stop my heart to "reset" it. No issue could be found "something" with the electrical of my heart. Only issue found at subsequent doctor visits was slightly elevated resting heart rate and high blood pressure. Course of action was medication and wait and see. Took a little bit playing around to get meds right. I never had another instance of the SVT. Took things a little easy for about a week. Doctor's advice was keep to the slower side of normal routine.

From a couple doctors this is what I was told. As hard as it can be to accept there is not always an answer. Sometimes things just happen with the electrical of the heart. While it is serious wait and see is sometimes all they can do. It can be just a one time thing the while you should be mindful of it is not something to worry over.If medication controls it,digging for the "problem" is usually not done.

Now with a much younger person I would assume and hope things would be looked at a little harder. As a parent demand to have them look as far as you think they need to. But as hard as it can be every now and then take a step back and see that maybe they have done everything they can and should do in the situation. If your daughter is healthy and stable in the near term don't worry about the long term. Keep the long term in mind but don't worry about it.

Thoughts and Prayers that this is a just a bump in the road that is life.
Posted By: Paddler Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/26/20
It would be nice to see her ECG when her pulse was high. SVT is easy to recognize, but her tracing would be normal between episodes. Sinus tachycardia is always secondary to something else, most causes are easily diagnosed and treated. WPW has a characteristic abnormality on ECG, so would be hard to miss. I wouldn't criticize the care she has received, COVID testing was appropriate. Did she ever have a fever? Cough?
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/26/20
I have had SVT since I was 10. I'm almost 69 now. It clearly showed up on an EKG. It took a little over 40 years to catch it, but when they did it was definite. It is an electrical problem where the heart is out of rhythm and tries to catch up, causing a very rapid heart beat, almost like a flutter. It's not much fun, but evidently not immediately dangerous. When it happens, I take a deep breath, hold it, constrict all my chest muscles and cough. There is a name for that procedure, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is. Usually stops it right then. I carry a pill to take if the cough doesn't work. Since I first had it when I was 10 it has probably happened 6 or 7 times. It hasn't stopped me from doing anything at all.

The Drs have a lot of different options to help diagnose the issues we can have with our hearts and some pretty amazing treatments are available. If they got an EKG of your Daughters heart while it was beating rapidly, She is very lucky, that will really help. With me they never could catch it so I never knew what was happening. I hope and pray that they can quickly diagnose your Daughters issue and that it is something that is easily handled. From reading all these posts, she has a lot of good people all over the country praying for her! I will pray for you too.
Posted By: BigNate Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/26/20
Sorry to see that you're going through this. You have my sympathies and your daughter my prayers.
Posted By: visalia6mm Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/26/20
Fyi,

Hope everything goes well for you and your family.

When things settle down ..
The new Apple watch monitors for irregular heartbeat and svt. Has saved some lives. Plus, being an Apple product younger ones thinks it's the best ever.

Spend the extra hundred and get the watch with the cellular built in the watch, on top of that it's like ten extra dollars on your cellular plan for the watch and you don't have to lug the phone around with it. The watch will actually make calls and sheet.
Update: Julia was just discharged from the hospital. She is feeling a lot better, for which I am thankful. She told me that while she was in the hospital with the high pulse rate, she felt pretty bad and she was scared that she would have a heart attack. I feel so bad for her that she had to go through all that – it was a frightening experience for her.

We do not have a definitive diagnosis, so as several have said, it could be just an aberration or just an issue that has no underlying cause. The pediatric cardiologist said it could possibly be one of two things causing the issue. Of course, the ex did not take notes as I requested and she did not remember the name of either of these conditions. I am sure I will find out what they are soon. Regarding the EKG/ECG questions, they took at least 5 of these at varying heart rates – several were taken during elevated heart rate events. All came back with no indications of any issues or problems (other than the elevated heart rate). The pediatric cardiologist has prescribed a beta-blocker twice per day for now and he will see her next in 2 weeks. I don’t like my daughter being on all these meds, but if they help her, then I guess I have no choice. I still think all this is related to the daily meds prescribed by her EP endocrinologist.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the pediatric cardiologist stated that Julia does not need to take any special precautions or modify her activities, which is good, 'cause she'll be able to run around the yard and play a bit if it's not too hot out.

troutfly: Jeff, thank you. I am sorry to hear about your son and I hope he's handling the meds ok.

mike7mm08: That sounds similar to what happened with my daughter except they were unable to figure out the cause. The pediatric cardiologist ruled out SVT, so that’s a bit of good news. It looks like we may indeed be in the wait-and-see category unless the cardiologist can get the issue narrowed down. I will take your advice under advisement. Thank you.

Paddler: Yes, they did take several EKGs when her heart rate was highly elevated. There was no indication of SVT or anything else. No fever, no cough.

Mathsr: There are no indications of SVT. I will certainly keep your breath hold, muscle constriction and cough in mind should this ever happen again. I’m happy to hear that the doctors finally figured out your issue. You are indeed correct that there’s lots of good people here on the ‘fire that are keeping Julia in their thoughts and prayers, for which I am very thankful. Thanks for your kind words.

BigNate: Thankyousir.

visalia6mm: Thanks. I’ll look into the Apple watch monitor.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/26/20
Glad she's going home!

Hospital is no place for a child.

Sure hope they get a handle on it so she doesn't have to go back.
Posted By: rong Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/26/20
Great news she's going home,
Terrible for a youngster to feel they're going to have a heart attack,but good support will get her +you through this.
Best of luck...
rockinbbar: Thank you. I also hope she doesn't have to go back to the ER. I'm a bit frustrated that all the time and money spent on this foray to the hospital did not yield a cause or a solution. I guess the beta-blockers are a temporary solution, but you are indeed correct; children should not have to be in the hospital.
Thanks rong.
A word of warning, beta blockers 'can' make a person feel pretty awful. I know from experience.

I had a bout of tachycardia years ago and they put me on atenolol. Not a good experience.
Ghost: Thanks for that information, I will speak to her cardiologist about that. I do know that she has handled the 3 beta-blocker doses she's had so far well.
Posted By: Anjin Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/26/20
I tried to respond earlier, but somehow lost the message. By the time I scrolled through entirely, the news was much better.

Kevin, I just updated my daughter Mary, and needless to say, our entire family are happy with the latest outcome. I trust that Julia will have a full recovery. keep her out of that hot swimming pool!

I'm also glad to see so many thoughts and prayers from our friends on the 'Fire.

Norm
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/27/20
Norm, Thanks very much. I will let Julia know y'all are thinking about her. Everyone's thoughts and prayers have helped enormously.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/27/20
Hows she doing tonight?
Posted By: Dutch Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/27/20
So glad to hear the positive news! Thanks for taking the time to update us. When you get the chance give her a giant hug from all of us, please.
Posted By: duck911 Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/27/20
Still praying from Colorado!

Sounds like progress is being made, thank God!

I wondered about SVT early on in this thread.... Let us know the results! If it *is* SVT it is manageable. Either way... please give her a hug from my family in Colorado.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/27/20
I found out i have the SVT problem as well.

It came on 3 years ago.

So far i have had only about 3 attacks a year and the last time i was at the Doc when it hit.

Spent all day at the ER and had an appointment with the heart doc the next week.

Did the stress test and had the Echo done.

Heart was normal and had no damage anywhere.

When they hit i feel like i am running a marathon and am real tired when it quits.

The Doc told me that some folks have 3 nerves that run in their chest by the heart and in some the third gets into the action.

They did not know why.

They gave me some pills to take when they hit but so far have not needed any.

I have found that when or after they hit getting on some oxygen for about 30 minutes helps with the tired part.

He said that if they got worse or more occur in a year that they could do an ablation and do away with the troublesome one.

Hope this is the only bout she has.

Just let her know if this is the problem that she is not alone.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/27/20
Thanks fellers. She is sleeping peacefully tonight. Her pulse was 76 before bedtime.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/27/20
Good news.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/27/20
Where's the thumbs up emoji when you need it.

Good deals HN,
Posted By: sniperhunter Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/27/20
Prayers sent.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Daughter Admitted - 07/27/20
PTL for prayers answered.
© 24hourcampfire