Home
Monterey County in Virginia is known as Little Switzerland. It's an absolutely beautiful country. Much like Big Sky Montana country but on a much smaller scale obviously.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/550-Maple-Sugar-Rd-Monterey-VA-24465/194472114_zpid/

Just got this as an email and figured I would share it. Our place in West Virginia is about 30 miles down the road... Northeast.

There was an interesting thread a while back about land values in different locations. We looked at Monterey extensively when we were searching for mountain land.

I get nothing from sharing this link except possibly a good neighbor somewhere down the road.

$4200 an acre is pretty steep for a democrat run state. YMMV
Sure is beautiful and seems like a good price. Like the '63 Chevy in front of the shop.

Those green bills are quite a contrast to my place in arid Southwest Utah.
I just paid 135 k for an acre in Idaho. I wish land was that cheap here
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Monterey County in Virginia is known as Little Switzerland. It's an absolutely beautiful country. Much like Big Sky Montana country but on a much smaller scale obviously.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/550-Maple-Sugar-Rd-Monterey-VA-24465/194472114_zpid/

Just got this as an email and figured I would share it. Our place in West Virginia is about 30 miles down the road... Northeast.

There was an interesting thread a while back about land values in different locations. We looked at Monterey extensively when we were searching for mountain land.

I get nothing from sharing this link except possibly a good neighbor somewhere down the road.

It would be 10k in NC
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

It would be 10k in NC

Same her in MONTGOMERY County, Virginia
Looks like a good place for your meth lab. Get you a couple of pits and you'll be set. Single wide is pretty sweet.
156 acres that joins me just came up for sale. $4500/acre. For rocky ground overgrown with sumac, hedge, and blackberry brambles and I think a couple meth labs on the far side of it.....
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Looks like a good place for your meth lab. Get you a couple of pits and you'll be set. Single wide is pretty sweet.

Once again you prove ignorance has no bounds...

Real expert on Highland County are ya?... Or just jacking off in the milk jug again...
Originally Posted by RemModel8

Are you and EE engaged or just living in sin?
Land seems high in northern VA compared to SW Virginia. We've been looking at land in eastern Tennessee and it's pretty expensive when you find something nice over 3000'. I like Tennessee there's no state income tax and very few building restrictions compared to Virginia. We still might end up buying around High Knob Virginia, just because I hunt there and it's beautiful.
Originally Posted by ribka

No really you dont , cheap land grows fools lotsa fools !

You must have some high grade ore on your acre.
Originally Posted by Cheesy
156 acres that joins me just came up for sale. $4500/acre. For rocky ground overgrown with sumac, hedge, and blackberry brambles and I think a couple meth labs on the far side of it.....
lolol Prolly some nice poison ivy and oak thrown in for no extry charge.

I just clicked on the link, very very nice.
Monterey is great.
Doesn't matter how beautiful and awesome Virginia is, anybody on our side of the fence that's planning on moving there is an idiot. People who already live there...I understand. Anybody planning on moving there though must be totally ignorant of the political situation that exists there. Unless y'all have a plan to restore Virginia to its former glory, you might as well move to Cali.
Looks pretty sweet Cash ! I got to be on saltwater, or a stones throw.
Doesn't matter how beautiful and awesome Virginia is, anybody on our side of the fence that's planning on moving there is an idiot. People who already live there...I understand. Anybody planning on moving there though must be totally ignorant of the political situation that exists there. Unless y'all have a plan to restore Virginia to its former glory, you might as well move to Cali.

Don't talk with your mouth full of dickk...

You seem to live as a parasite with sole purpose of sucking the happiness from others.

Does this give you some perverse joy that you do not get from molesting kittens?
Originally Posted by AKCHOPPER

4 hrs from my cabin to Virginia Beach Sport Fishing center at Rudee inlet 5th least densely populated, and 15th highest average elevation of any county east of the Mississippi.
5 persons per square mile, 98.6% white (more like 99.5% in reality) county supervisors are chicken [bleep] cowards (as proven by their initial refusal to pass 2A sanctuary status and their subsequent change of heart when they realized the deputies wouldn't be able to keep them alive if they didn't vote yes). Sheriff and deputies are solid though ( as witnessed by ALL of them in support of being declared a 2A sanctuary county)
Over 30% of the county is in farmland with the bulk of the remaining land wooded mountain land.
Not one traffic signal in the entire county, or fast-food chain of any kind. One family dollar and two gas stations total. One in Monterey and one in McDowell.

You evidently have been over it already. Last year my boy and the neighbor kid were shirtless. Chopping some long dead elm log down that’s in the fence line. 2 days later my boy is swelled up like a tick. Covered in poison ivy. He must have been rolling in it to get the coverage in his body. Poor kid. He now knows, leaves of three...

Whereabouts?
Originally Posted by EdM

Whereabouts?

north of Hayden right by lake
I was gonna guess waterfront.

Grandma still has her place on Pend 'Oreille. Around 100' of waterfront, +$10k per foot for her neighborhood(or was it 20k?) either way whoever buys generally tears down the existing and builds new.

Crazy.
Originally Posted by EdM

Whereabouts?

north of Hayden right by lake

Nice area. Not far from me.
I believe that is Highland county is it not?
Originally Posted by WPAHunter50

Correct, Monterey is the town.

My bad in the title being wrong.

Monterey is the town, Highland is the county. Highland County VA is one of exactly 3 counties in the entire US that as of the last census was 100% white....that take the sting out?
Originally Posted by jackmountain

4 hrs from my cabin to Virginia Beach Sport Fishing center at Rudee inlet 5th least densely populated, and 15th highest average elevation of any county east of the Mississippi.
5 persons per square mile, 98.6% white (more like 99.5% in reality) county supervisors are chicken [bleep] cowards (as proven by their initial refusal to pass 2A sanctuary status and their subsequent change of heart when they realized the deputies wouldn't be able to keep them alive if they didn't vote yes). Sheriff and deputies are solid though ( as witnessed by ALL of them in support of being declared a 2A sanctuary county)
Over 30% of the county is in farmland with the bulk of the remaining land wooded mountain land.
Not one traffic signal in the entire county, or fast-food chain of any kind. One family dollar and two gas stations total. One in Monterey and one in McDowell.
Hamilton County NY is the least populated county East of the Mississippi at 3 people PSM and is 97.7% white.. It is nearly the size of the state of Delaware with a total population of roughly 4,600. It lies completely within the boundaries of the Adirondack park and is predominantly public forest land.
Nice looking area but i dont think ill confuse it with switzerland
Originally Posted by WPAHunter50

Correct, Monterey is the town.

My bad in the title being wrong.

Where us that relative the the little tooth on WV.
East or west?
I live about 30 mins south of Monterey. $4200 an acre is way steep. You can do better. Lots of retired military and CIA moving in. They have changed the whole makeup of the county. I have a couple places I hunt in Highland, some of the best folks in the world live there.
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Hamilton County NY is the least populated county East of the Mississippi at 3 people PSM and is 97.7% white.. It is nearly the size of the state of Delaware with a total population of roughly 4,600. It lies completely within the boundaries of the Adirondack park and is predominantly public forest land.

Sounds like paradise Blackheart!
Originally Posted by Bperdue21
I live about 30 mins south of Monterey. $4200 an acre is way steep. You can do better. Lots of retired military and CIA moving in. They have changed the whole makeup of the county. I have a couple places I hunt in Highland, some of the best folks in the world live there.

I showed a friend of mine a listing yesterday for 122 acres for $175,000 in Highland.

And yes, some of the best folks in the world. When you're friends with a native Highlander you're like a family member. Unfortunately, I'm not from the branch of the family that ended up over there.
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Sounds like paradise Blackheart!
It ain't too bad though I suppose some folks would get bored driving for miles and miles and miles and not seeing anything but public forest land open to hunting by anyone with a license.
Might have the least population density, but there are less than 2500 people in Highland County VA.
Might have the least population density, but there are less than 2500 people in Highland County VA.
Highland county is 416 square miles. Hamilton county is 1800 square miles.
Right. There are less people in Highland County VA, less population density in Hamilton County.
Originally Posted by RichardAustin

Lol. Good one.

Ouray, Colorado
Right. There are less people in Highland County VA, less population density in Hamilton County.

OK so we'll put it like this. Hamilton county is the least DENSELY populated County in the East.
Originally Posted by AlleghenyMountain

I showed a friend of mine a listing yesterday for 122 acres for $175,000 in Highland.

And yes, some of the best folks in the world. When you're friends with a native Highlander you're like a family member. Unfortunately, I'm not from the branch of the family that ended up over there.

122 Acres for $175k in Highland County is a fantastic price. If you're friend declines I would be extremely interested. Please send me a PM if you would.

Where is Highland County several several people have asked...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highland_County,_Virginia

The Blue Ridge or Appalachian Mountains is one of the oldest mountain ranges in the world. It has deteriorated over thousands of years and it's nowhere near as tall as it used to be. It runs Southwest by Northeast from Georgia up to Maine... I guess. I'm sure somebody will correct that... people on this site like to argue about how fast their toenails grow... or who has the worst foot fungus, but I digress...

Interstate 81 an extremely heavily-used Trucking route from the south to the north travels through the Appalachian Mountains. What used to be a very simple Highway is absolutely overwhelmed with trucks most days. And with all the truck traffic the valley it rides in has become as smoggy is LA at times... I reckon.

Of course everybody is going to argue this is wrong and that several million trucks traveling this highway every year run on butterfly farts and make no pollution whatsoever. Again I digress... Highland County and the county we live in adjacent to it (in West Virginia) are north of this Valley by several Ridges... by about 30 to 50 miles. 30 being Highland and 50 being where our property is located. I.e. Very clear oxygenated air.

Again, there is nothing in this for me other than the potential of having a good neighbor from the campfire.

This site is full of pisspots... always has been I reckon but give it a rest fellas... and let some happy people talk about pretty land once in awhile...

FYI, it is completely okay for you guys to start your own thread about foot fungus or how fast your toenails grow.

IS that the area where the RMEF is stocking Elk ?
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
IS that the area where the RMEF is stocking Elk ?

No...

https://dwr.virginia.gov/elk-cam/?u...mp;utm_content=nftf_elkcam_september2019

The Virginia elk program is a joke. It will never go anywhere politically. If even one citizen anywhere in the Commonwealth of Virginia is scared of hitting an elk in their car the project is DOA from birth.

On the other hand, we have been trying to get West Virginia DNR to contemplate elk on our property in West Virginia but I think I have about a 0.000 1% chance of success. But, if I could get some dirt on the governor's daughter maybe.
Probably as big a Joke as the NC Elk reintroduction. Thanks

Originally Posted by AlleghenyMountain

122 Acres for $175k in Highland County is a fantastic price. If you're friend declines I would be extremely interested. Please send me a PM if you would.

Have you ever looked in Bath County? Generally a decent deal to be found there.
Originally Posted by readonly

Monterey is the town, Highland is the county. Highland County VA is one of exactly 3 counties in the entire US that as of the last census was 100% white....that take the sting out?

Not when you have a marxist governor.

Moving north is not the direction to go to avoid liberals.

Someone said you were that Steelhead dude from years gone buy...

I don't think so...

You seem way more stupid and obnoxious.

I don't think so...

Scott was only stupid and obnoxious most of the time.

I don't think so...

I can't fathom why someone divorced you. I'm guessing you don't have the kid this weekend?

I don't think so...

I can't fathom why someone divorced you. I'm guessing you don't have the kid this weekend?

Holy Smoke... it is Scott as a used Goodwill sockpuppet.

Let's talk about suppressors some dumbazz
I know less than nothing about the real estate market in Virginny but dryland pasture ground in Nebraska is bringing more than that....and the taxes are less per year than my property taxes on two properties in Omaha are per month!
Looks like ground you could put in your own rifle range pretty nicely.

I bought 40 acres in central MT for $480/acre in 1994. Sold 20 acres of it a couple years back for $1500/acre.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
https://www.wcax.com/2020/07/30/36000-acre-adirondack-estate-for-sale/

$5K an acre for 36,000 acres. Includes lakes, boathouse, boats, huge house and of course it's further NORTH, so it must be MORE conservative.

Cashgoestotheexwife will be along to explain that soon. Enjoy
Originally Posted by RichardAustin

or central washington...very beautiful landscape, nonetheless
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

I bought 40 acres in central MT for $480/acre in 1994. Sold 20 acres of it a couple years back for $1500/acre.

You don't have Northam as a governor and aren't a stone's throw from DC, so MT has to be liberal as [bleep].

You don't have Northam as a governor and aren't a stone's throw from DC, so MT has to be liberal as [bleep].

Hopefully we will send our democrat governor packing.

$5K an acre for 36,000 acres. Includes lakes, boathouse, boats, huge house and of course it's further NORTH, so it must be MORE conservative.

Actually Hamilton County NY is very conservative. Since world war one there has only been one Democratic presidential candidate who got the majority of votes in Hamilton County. That was in 1964. In 2016 president Trump won with 64% of the vote vs 24% for Clinton.

Are capable of anything?

Dishonorable discharge from the CG... OK... what else?

Hopefully we will send our democrat governor packing.

Tongue in cheek. I'd take MT liberal over VA liberal any day of the week.

Give'm hell!

Are capable of anything?

You're almost as bright as Jag, but at least he doesn't have a court order on visitations.

Are capable of anything?

Still terrified of suppressors? OK... What else?

Are capable of anything?

Man, you are one [bleep] up individual. I nailed it years ago, but I can read sign. How long did it take the ex to realize?

Are capable of anything?

Man, you are one [bleep] up individual. I nailed it years ago, but I can read sign. How long did it take the ex to realize?

Wrong again fool... great wife... great kids.
Still laughing

Nice... that is surprisingly reasonable. I guess "central" is the reason.
Still laughing

If you stop staring at your cock... the laughter will cease.
[quote=MontanaMarine]Looks like ground you could put in your own rifle range pretty nicely.

It appears that just inside of the treeline on that Virginia property is Rt. 250 which is a major roadway thru that county and could be a major problem in having a shooting range or hunting access between the pasture and the wooded portion of the property. The road does not show up well in any of the promotional pictures.
Originally Posted by VaHunter
[quote=MontanaMarine]Looks like ground you could put in your own rifle range pretty nicely.

It appears that just inside of the treeline on that Virginia property is Rt. 250 which is a major roadway thru that county and could be a major problem in having a shooting range or hunting access between the pasture and the wooded portion of the property. The road does not show up well in any of the promotional pictures.

Didn't see that. Yeah that would be a show-stopper.

four 36 hole golf courses, cndos, apartments, shopping mall, resort & spa, throw in a coal-fired power plant for good measure
© 24hourcampfire