Home
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100214065046
And who's looking for him ?
Well ain't that a bitch.
Was he "anti-logging" in general or just for a special place near his home?

Seems a number of our OR members consider Opal Creek and the surrounding area as something pretty cool.

Perhaps Mr Atiyeh just wanted to save that particular area?

Then again, perhaps not.
Ya play with fire...,
Been many years but I remember him trying to get Opal Creek protected. Atiyeh is a fairly well known name as his father, Vic, was gov (R) in the 70's. If he was active in the anti-logging movement since then pretty sure his name would have been used.
Originally Posted by Steve
Been many years but I remember him trying to get Opal Creek protected. Atiyeh is a fairly well known name as his father, Vic, was gov (R) in the 70's. If he was active in the anti-logging movement since then pretty sure his name would have been used.

Don't know the guy. But apparently his name has been out there for quite a while.

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/david-seideman/showdown-at-opal-creek/

To George Atiyeh—a logger-turned-environmentalist from a prominent Oregon family—Opal Creek is a church, and his willingness to use every means necessary to protect it from cutting—including media manipulation, state and federal legislation, and endless legal maneuvers against the US Forest Service—made him a contemptible turncoat in the eyes of his hometown community of Mill City.

I guess he had seen something, that he thought, was more valuable than cheap 2 X 4's and plywood , may he RIP !
Was it worth more than his life ?
Originally Posted by jimy
I guess he had seen something, that he thought, was more valuable than cheap 2 X 4's and plywood , may he RIP !

I doubt if he saw it as his crematorium.
That's too bad.
If y’all listen close, you can hear the world’s smallest violin playing...
Originally Posted by jwall
Was it worth more than his life ?

Based on this quote:

To George Atiyeh—a logger-turned-environmentalist from a prominent Oregon family—Opal Creek is a church, and his willingness to use every means necessary to protect it from cutting—including media manipulation, state and federal legislation, and endless legal maneuvers against the US Forest Service—made him a contemptible turncoat in the eyes of his hometown community of Mill City.

I'd guess he'd probably think so.
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Don't know the guy. But apparently his name has been out there for quite a while.

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/david-seideman/showdown-at-opal-creek/

I get that. But it is (was?) a gorgeous spot. Hell, I'm all for logging. Got relatives who lives up river from Mill City. Spent a summer as a teenager working up there when the mill in Idahna was going 24hrs a day. I have the utmost respect for loggers, mill workers, etc. Most of my oldest friends families were either working in the woods as loggers or forest service. I believe that what Clinton did with the spotted owl was criminal.

But some places shouldn't be logged and Opal creek was one of them.

Again this isn't because of lack of logging. Fires that move 30 miles in a day don't give a [bleep] about clear cuts or thinning. This was a once in a lifetime wind event when temps were high and humidity was low.

I get that. But it is (was?) a gorgeous spot. Hell, I'm all for logging. Got relatives who lives up river from Mill City. Spent a summer as a teenager working up there when the mill in Idahna was going 24hrs a day. I have the utmost respect for loggers, mill workers, etc. Most of my oldest friends families were either working in the woods as loggers or forest service. I believe that what Clinton did with the spotted owl was criminal.

But some places shouldn't be logged and Opal creek was one of them.

Again this isn't because of lack of logging. Fires that move 30 miles in a day don't give a [bleep] about clear cuts or thinning. This was a once in a lifetime wind event when temps were high and humidity was low.

What do you know, you live in OR. No doubt, you personally allowed Kate to be elected. That Mayor of Potlandia too.

Your opinion is valued only slightly less than that of a Californio. No matter how well founded. wink wink
Originally Posted by Valsdad

What do you know, you live in OR. No doubt, you personally allowed Kate to be elected. That Mayor of Potlandia too.

Your opinion is valued only slightly less than that of a Californio. No matter how well founded. wink wink

You're a grandfathered in Oregonian, Geno.
I own 5 chainsaws and have cut tens of thousands of trees, yet there are places that are more valuable than the timber that they produce, there is no timber shortage in this country, actually we export timber.

As Americans we are lucky to have the natural treasures that we do have, just as we all own these treasures, we should all have a say in protecting them as well, this guy felt strongly about protecting this place, I will never see it but from the videos it does look pretty special , and I hope the regrowth is just as spectacular seed that they will grow from, and may those who love it, see it return to all of its glory !
I own 5 chainsaws and have cut tens of thousands of trees, yet there are places that are more valuable than the timber that they produce, there is no timber shortage in this country, actually we export timber.

As Americans we are lucky to have the natural treasures that we do have, just as we all own these treasures, we should all have a say in protecting them as well, this guy felt strongly about protecting this place, I will never see it but from the videos it does look pretty special , and I hope the regrowth is just as spectacular seed that they will grow from, and may those who love it, see it return to all of its glory !

Really appreciate your viewpoint here jimy.

Folks don't realize how much wood goes out the mouth of the Columbia and others to places that are willing to pay for it.

Thanks.

I never had an address there, just my wife. My mail was forwarded there for a few months a year.

And I do shop there often still...............for the "duty free" benefit.........but don't tell Gavin, I'll probably have to report my purchases
An excellent example of irony.
Jackson and Klamath Counties, in automotive, healthcare and retail? It has been estimated that those counties would see a 35% decrease in their economies if the smugglers like Geno were stopped and assessed sales tax at the Ag inspection station at the border crossings. Some years back, the recalled Calif Gov Gray Davis proposed a law to prohibit unprocessed timber from going to Oregon mills, from Eugene to Lakeview to Brookings you could hear the screaming, needless to say, the proposal died, stillborn. But Roseburg Forest Products, promptly bought 80,000 acres and 2 mills in Calif. Whether anybody likes it or not, we need each other.
Bingo^^^^

Besides, there are an awful lot of USFS roads around the Bug Stations.........................not that I would ever do that. wink

Do we really care ?
I’d not gloat about anyone’s death by fire, ‘specially as this guy might not have been your average Loony Leftist. I’ll note he saved one place that others agree was worth saving.

Dunno anything else about the guy.

OK, an arsonist setting such a fire? wouldn't upset me if they died in it.
Irony is the fact that his rabid antilogging likely contributed to the demise of his "sacred place".
Irony is the stupid [bleep] posted in this thread, the man did his best to protect tens of thousands of acres of prime hunting and fishing land for all to enjoy and some of you mock him, WTF Have any of you done to make the outdoors a better place for your sons or daughters ?

This man likely died trying to protect what he loved, thats something a few of you might want to set your sights on !
That's too bad. Hope those big trees make it.

I'm a little surprised Bristoe reads Democratic Underground.
Bristoe is the "underground" !
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I’d not gloat about anyone’s death by fire, ‘specially as this guy might not have been your average Loony Leftist. I’ll note he saved one place that others agree was worth saving.

You're just grumpy because Caucasians have returned to Zimbabwe.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Do we really care ?

Tikka -- I was being sarcastic. Shoulda posted smirk
IDGFart.

We agree.
Irony is the stupid [bleep] posted in this thread, the man did his best to protect tens of thousands of acres of prime hunting and fishing land for all to enjoy and some of you mock him, WTF Have any of you done to make the outdoors a better place for your sons or daughters ?

This man likely died trying to protect what he loved, thats something a few of you might want to set your sights on !

jimy

The man doggedly tried to preserve the place in a static way, no tree removed, no leaf unturned, etc. This is impossible. The earth is an ever changing landscape, erosion, flood, volcanic flows/explosions, torrential rains, mudslides, and of course fire will alter the earth. Perhaps with careful thoughtful forestry management that magnificent forest would have fared better from the torch. If that fire has ravished that forest it will take decades if not centuries to ever return if it ever does. What will happen to those crystal waters now?

Does this package include a non-extraditable warrant and the inability to think for yourself?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...-indifference-kindled-oregons-wildfires/

But in recent decades, political power in Oregon has accumulated in urban Portland and its surrounding suburbs. Residents of these areas — insulated from the dangers of land mismanagement — have insisted on preserving the forests as untouchable playgrounds. Since 2001, the state has overprioritized recreation and environmentalist concerns such as ecotourism. As a result, Oregon’s forests were allowed to become overgrown, creating fire hazards. The state has screwed up so badly that, in November last year, it was ordered by a jury to pay Oregon’s rural counties $1.1 billion for failing to uphold its contractual obligations for responsible forest management.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...-indifference-kindled-oregons-wildfires/

But in recent decades, political power in Oregon has accumulated in urban Portland and its surrounding suburbs. Residents of these areas — insulated from the dangers of land mismanagement — have insisted on preserving the forests as untouchable playgrounds. Since 2001, the state has overprioritized recreation and environmentalist concerns such as ecotourism. As a result, Oregon’s forests were allowed to become overgrown, creating fire hazards. The state has screwed up so badly that, in November last year, it was ordered by a jury to pay Oregon’s rural counties $1.1 billion for failing to uphold its contractual obligations for responsible forest management.

I agree with that quote entirely.
Originally Posted by deflave

Does this package include a non-extraditable warrant and the inability to think for yourself?

I would say GFY, but.. Naw. GFY.

The plot thickens..Apparently the sacking of the fire marshal and George Atiyeh are tied together..Atiyeh is one of the people he was searching for..

https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-...n-for-entering-active-wildfire-zone.html
Get with it Val, sometimes the only way to save ANYTHING is to fire up the chainsaws and make some money creating defensible space. My heart is not broken over this, in fact, if Atiyeh in fact was immolated, there's a certain bitter justice. Too bad it wasn't Andy Kerr.

Let me get this straight. If they logged it it would no longer be good for hunting and fishing?
Would it be wrong, ta drink a toast to the guy?
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Too bad it wasn't Andy Kerr.

On that I agree.

That said, when you're in the center of a town that burns every house to the ground (Talent, Detroit) how do you make a defensible space? My relatives restaurant in Detroit was surrounded by hundreds of feet of back-top (roads, hwy, parking lot). Hard to get more defensible than that. Only thing left is the sign in the middle of the parking lot. We had 35-65 mph winds. You can't defend against that.
You guys realize trees have the ability to reproduce, right?
Originally Posted by Ringman

Let me get this straight. If they logged it it would no longer be good for hunting and fishing?

It would add roads and easy access that was never there.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I shot my first elk in a clear-cut.
Originally Posted by Prwlr

jimy

The man doggedly tried to preserve the place in a static way, no tree removed, no leaf unturned, etc. This is impossible. The earth is an ever changing landscape, erosion, flood, volcanic flows/explosions, torrential rains, mudslides, and of course fire will alter the earth. Perhaps with careful thoughtful forestry management that magnificent forest would have fared better from the torch. If that fire has ravished that forest it will take decades if not centuries to ever return if it ever does. What will happen to those crystal waters now?

You are exactly right on the fire damage , but with today' sportsmen side X sides and the likes wilderness is not all that far away, logging makes roads and adds access that can ruin a huge area a fantastic hunting for years to come, I am not a anti logger by any means its just more profitable to log other areas.
Get with it Val, sometimes the only way to save ANYTHING is to fire up the chainsaws and make some money creating defensible space. My heart is not broken over this, in fact, if Atiyeh in fact was immolated, there's a certain bitter justice. Too bad it wasn't Andy Kerr.

Won't argue that Dave. In some circumstances the best way too.

But, I think the man wanted to preserve (yep, there's that sometimes nasty word) a particular portion of a system that was rapidly disappearing. THAT can't be done by logging it. Big trees like that will not grow back in your children's lifetime, their grandkids lifetimes, or even their grandkids grandkids lifetimes. Maybe take that section of forest he wanted to preserve and surround it with a bare dirt buffer 500' wide? Log that buffer and put in a lawn? Soccer fields maybe?

The sad fact of the matter is some folks want to see groves of trees and sections of forest that are relatively untouched by man since before the modern calendar started. Others see those forests as jobs and houses and paper pulp.

Jimy made a very valid point. If there's truly a shortage of lumber products in the US of A, why do I have pictures of barges loaded with logs and ready to go downriver to Japan? And that's just on the Columbia, not counting Coos Bay, places in AK, and Puget Sound. Would not all those logs make good wood products for the US of A, and maybe there would be a few more jobs here? Maybe we wouldn't have to import wood products from Canada?

I, for one, am really glad his predecessors in preserving big trees did such a good job with Redwood State and National Parks. Having spent multiple days there, being as how I lived in the area, I can tell everyone that's never seen one there is nothing, repeat nothing, like it in any area that's been logged. Having worked for a few years on 350,000+ acres of private timberlands I kinda know what I'm talking about there. And I've seen preserved areas in PA, WA, OR and AK, so I'd have to say the guy likely did the OR public a service in saving that particular patch of woods.

Could be they're all gone now? Yep. Could be whether man was involved or not, that section of woods could have gone up in any dry year. Odds of those trees standing through a fire event are a lot higher than them standing through a chainsaw event though.

I'll have to look up the Kerr dude. Don't know of him offhand.

Enjoy your evening up there.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

You're just grumpy because Caucasians have returned to Zimbabwe.

LOL, the fact that they were willing to, especially given the slaughter in South Africa, speaks teams of what we are clueless about in that particular situation.
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Have you been to Opal Creek? I have, just a couple of times. Kinda like it the way it ended up. Purportedly, there's 5% of the US PNW old growth remaining. Ain't hurting chit to keep some. Like the Redwoods and Sequoias, invaluable. Don't get me wrong, I think we should log the f*ck out of the rest.

Yep

But you're not reproducing a 250' tall Doug Fir, Western Hemlock, or other tree in a goodly number of generations.

And if you've only seen trees in TN then you need to " Go West Young Man" as some dude once wrote, to see what a real tree is.

On that I agree.

That said, when you're in the center of a town that burns every house to the ground (Talent, Detroit) how do you make a defensible space? My relatives restaurant in Detroit was surrounded by hundreds of feet of back-top (roads, hwy, parking lot). Hard to get more defensible than that. Only thing left is the sign in the middle of the parking lot. We had 35-65 mph winds. You can't defend against that.

Detroit - where????
Originally Posted by mark shubert

On that I agree.

Detroit - where????

Detriot Oregon.
Like Bull of the Woods, Indian Haven, Table Rock, Trapper Creek, Jefferson Park, Ollalie, there's some f*cking places worthy of existing. Like the Great Smoky Mtn, and some of those little preserved places back east.

There's wonderfully mature second growth in the Cascades to log, millions of acres of it. There's a chunk of land up by the Columbia River that I will not specify but it's thousands of acres of logging done right, fantastic game habitats.
The book you want to Read is "Something of Value" It is a great read and an eye opener, Robert Ruark was one of the best writers ever.

After that Uhuru is better !
Originally Posted by deflave

You want me, you're going to have to come and get me!

I stole that from this tough guy:
Edward G. Robinson (as Little Caesar) in Little Caesar

But, it's kind of fitting
Originally Posted by Ringman

It would add roads and easy access that was never there.

Much oversimplification.... +P+
The book you want to Read is "Something of Value" It is a great read and an eye opener, Robert Ruark was one of the best writers ever.

Looking at my well worn copy on the book shelf now.
Andy Kerr. Met him. Road around in the Great Basin for part of a day with him and a gamebird guy . Wouldn't wish dying in a blaze on him, nor anyone for simple disagreements. Don't agree on a lot of ONDAs dealings... Knew some interesting chit about beaver in sagebrush country. Carry-on.
Maybe we aughta cleacut that f*cking Kings Canyon? How about that wasteland Yellowstone? Lets f*cking open up Glacier! Piss on it go go go go! God damnit people are f*cking starving! Cut the damned Redwoods down! Highlead right up elCapitan! F*ck yah! Salmon River, Bob Marshall, cut cut cut!
Carry on.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Maybe we aughta cleacut that f*cking Kings Canyon? How about that wasteland Yellowstone? Lets f*cking open up Glacier! Piss on it go go go go! God damnit people are f*cking starving! Cut the damned Redwoods down! Highlead right up elCapitan! F*ck yah! Salmon River, Bob Marshall, cut cut cut!
Carry on.

Highlead el Capital... LMAO!!

Central Park in NY has some dandy oak trees just sayin..
Carry on.

I get ya Boomer. Have a beer.
Originally Posted by Salty303
Carry on.

Maybe zipline it.
Karma's a bitch
Carry on.

Log it! Damned squirrel habitat!
Carry on.

I get ya Boomer. Have a beer.

I have been in plenty of trouble saying such things, in places like Molalla and Estacada!

There was such pressure to cut the last of the old growth it led to the faux spotted owl nonsense and closed it all down. See where the hardline cut cut cut attitude got us? Don't consider it nutty to like some mature forests that were there when Columbus was lost and the Maya were building pyramids. It's God's mighty handywork.
We need to have a beer together some time.
Originally Posted by Traveler52
Karma's a bitch

Not so sure. Fires are more apt to settle down in old growth. More problems with the poorly managed 2nd and 3rd growth, and urban interface areas. But, yah f*ck, Muir, Leupold, Roosevelt, Shelton, Pulaski etal, fugging doogooders.
We need to have a beer together some time.

Sure thing Steve.
There are ways to log land without turning it to crap.

Won't argue that Dave. In some circumstances the best way too.

But, I think the man wanted to preserve (yep, there's that sometimes nasty word) a particular portion of a system that was rapidly disappearing. THAT can't be done by logging it. Big trees like that will not grow back in your children's lifetime, their grandkids lifetimes, or even their grandkids grandkids lifetimes. Maybe take that section of forest he wanted to preserve and surround it with a bare dirt buffer 500' wide? Log that buffer and put in a lawn? Soccer fields maybe?

The sad fact of the matter is some folks want to see groves of trees and sections of forest that are relatively untouched by man since before the modern calendar started. Others see those forests as jobs and houses and paper pulp.

Jimy made a very valid point. If there's truly a shortage of lumber products in the US of A, why do I have pictures of barges loaded with logs and ready to go downriver to Japan? And that's just on the Columbia, not counting Coos Bay, places in AK, and Puget Sound. Would not all those logs make good wood products for the US of A, and maybe there would be a few more jobs here? Maybe we wouldn't have to import wood products from Canada?

I, for one, am really glad his predecessors in preserving big trees did such a good job with Redwood State and National Parks. Having spent multiple days there, being as how I lived in the area, I can tell everyone that's never seen one there is nothing, repeat nothing, like it in any area that's been logged. Having worked for a few years on 350,000+ acres of private timberlands I kinda know what I'm talking about there. And I've seen preserved areas in PA, WA, OR and AK, so I'd have to say the guy likely did the OR public a service in saving that particular patch of woods.

Could be they're all gone now? Yep. Could be whether man was involved or not, that section of woods could have gone up in any dry year. Odds of those trees standing through a fire event are a lot higher than them standing through a chainsaw event though.

I'll have to look up the Kerr dude. Don't know of him offhand.

Enjoy your evening up there.

You big greenie, you!

I came to Idaho in 1983. Hunted all but seven years since then (college years). Did not see “old growth” forest until 2012 and it literally took my breath away. Ponderosa pines, no more than 7 or 8 to the acre, elk meadows, stunning. To walk out of dog hair pine into an open parkland like that is one of my most memorable experiences.

The only reason it exists is that it was about 100 acres on the Black Bird mine property, and didn’t get logged with the rest of it. And I loved hunting the rest of it, shot my first 6 point bull the next ridge over. But those ponderosas were something special.

I’m ok with not cutting it all. The boys in Alabama got lots of white pine that needs cutting.
If you don't cut that stuff the Oregon fire bug commies will toss Molotov cocktails right smack dab in the middle of it and you end up with what you got right now.

Evidently, there's a war going on in Oregon between the tree hugging commies and the molotov cocktail commies.

So far, the tree hugging commies seem to be suckin' hind tit in the matter.
Originally Posted by Traveler52
Karma's a bitch

Not so sure. Fires are more apt to settle down in old growth. More problems with the poorly managed 2nd and 3rd growth, and urban interface areas. But, yah f*ck, Muir, Leupold, Roosevelt, Shelton, Pulaski etal, fugging doogooders.

Boy, sounds like someone touched a nerve?

If I was a drinkin' man I'd have you down for a cold one too. Straight down the 5 from Steves, turn left on 299. Or come over the Cascades while still in OR. Scout out some trees for clearcutting in Crater Lake NP!
Originally Posted by Dutch

You big greenie, you!

I came to Idaho in 1983. Hunted all but seven years since then (college years). Did not see “old growth” forest until 2012 and it literally took my breath away. Ponderosa pines, no more than 7 or 8 to the acre, elk meadows, stunning. To walk out of dog hair pine into an open parkland like that is one of my most memorable experiences.

The only reason it exists is that it was about 100 acres on the Black Bird mine property, and didn’t get logged with the rest of it. And I loved hunting the rest of it, shot my first 6 point bull the next ridge over. But those ponderosas were something special.

I’m ok with not cutting it all. The boys in Alabama got lots of white pine that needs cutting.

The heck with Alabama.

The private lands on the West side have plenty of wood. There's some good second growth in some USFS, BLM, and State lands too. One thing we can grow on the Wet Side is trees.

We just can't grow those 8'-10' diameter ones in much less than 6 generations though.

8-10 Ponderosas per acre is just about right when they're full grown. Special places for sure.
Originally Posted by plainsman456

Indeed. And generally speaking this was not done for the first 100 years of logging in the PNW. What's been needed for the past 4 decades, is overcoming that legacy, using the tools and knowledge we now have rather than cutting the remaining ancient groves. Man, there's a lifetime of timber out here on our public lands without touching anything over 150 years old.
Hell there aren't even mills that can handle big logs anymore. And then we export the good stuff and get the Home Depot chit. Dag burnit!

How about a Guinness NA? LOL
Originally Posted by tater74
[/quote]

I shot my first elk in a clear-cut. [/quote]

No one has ever said that and, be careful and read along.
If you don't cut that stuff the Oregon fire bug commies will toss Molotov cocktails right smack dab in the middle of it and you end up with what you got right now.
e's a war going on in Oregon between the tree hugging commies and the molotov cocktail commies.

So far, the tree hugging commies seem to be suckin' hind tit in the matter.

And at which Time one of youwill have had have enough holdingson to bennnifett.the once the repentants stop?
I miss this place up possibly where the Riverside Fire burned, or even the Beachie. A deep cool canyon of old growth fir hemlock and cedar between two logged ridges from the 80s. Rhodies 20 maybe 30 foot tall. Never connected but it was quite a place to just wander and climb through. Kentucky folk can only dream of such wilderness and it's just another draw amoung hundreds. 6' fir with bark a foit thick. Conchs you couldn't reach around. 3' trees growing from ancient winfall. Oh gush gush...

Cut it? How about in 2600 or so.,
Originally Posted by plainsman456

Indeed. And generally speaking this was not done for the first 100 years of logging in the PNW. What's been needed for the past 4 decades, is overcoming that legacy, using the tools and knowledge we now have rather than cutting the remaining ancient groves. Man, there's a lifetime of timber out here on our public lands without touching anything over 150 years old.

A couple of the biggest players up here don't log any old growth any more as of about 2010 . Its worth their while not to and get the eco stamp that Home Depot, Lowes etc. demand to show they're selling "sustainable" products. Granted other than in parks most of the old growth is gone but they do have some but like they say follow the money it was a business decision. They'll do way better going after the 2nd and 3rd growth which easily makes the lumber and building supplies used today.
Kentucky folk can only dream of such wilderness

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Hell there aren't even mills that can handle big logs anymore. And then we export the good stuff and get the Home Depot chit. Dag burnit!

How about a Guinness NA? LOL

I've been known to have one of those on occasion. Or a St Pauli's girl NA.

Probably can find one or the other even in this podunk town. If not, I'm not drinking no version of Coors NA. Nope Nope Nope!

The outfit I worked for back in the 90's couldn't take anything over 36" in their new mill, but could put out a million BF a day if they ran 24 hrs. Anything bigger had to be shipped to the old mill down on the waterfront. Even big second growth logs were a problem for them and had to be sent away. But............they could use everything down to a 4" top!

That mill is probably outdated now or has had the computerized saws upgraded.
The sound of chain saws and “beep-beep” of a logger sending the carriage in the mountains makes me smile.

😎

General comments. Sigh.

Yes indeed the influx of people has phucqked. Oregon to the point of having that khuunt Kate. It's phucqking sad.

Yet the geology climate flora and fauna (etc) are still, hard to argue otherwise, most awesome... The list would be thread worthy in itself and beyond my scope this evening.

When anyone, inbred or otherwise, has any evidence that fires were intentionally set, in Oregon old growth this past week, please post it up. Obviously, some have been around little of the sort to have valuable insights. Carry-on.
Toot Toot!

When I worked, even though I wasn't on the loggin' end of things, that sound meant bonus money in my pockets many days!
Originally Posted by Beaver10
The sound of chain saws and “beep-beep” of a logger sending the carriage in the mountains makes me smile.

😎

Fugg that steep chit, I'm staying in the truck!

General comments. Sigh.

Yes indeed the influx of people has phucqked. Oregon to the point of having that khuunt Kate. It's phucqking sad.

Yet the geology climate flora and fauna (etc) are still, hard to argue otherwise, most awesome... The list would be thread worthy in itself and beyond my scope this evening.

When anyone, inbred or otherwise, has any evidence that fires were intentionally set, in Oregon old growth this past week, please post it up. Obviously, some have been around little of the sort to have valuable insights. Carry-on.

Ouch.....

that could include a whole lot of folks, eh? grin

😎

Oh, I made a whole bunch more money when they were flying logs around on the bottom of a copter!
Papermill I was working at in Washingtoon was buying eucalyptus pulp from Australia while the brush just got thicker and thicker up the road 10 miles. Stupid chit over regulation that resulted from stupid over utilization...
Trying to be inclusive.
Kentucky folk can only dream of such wilderness

Later that night vvvvvv

😎🖕🏾😎
I'm grateful for several saw mills and a pulp mill up north they taught me a lot, they taught me to go back to tech school! LOL
Got all my fingers and can still walk straight so its all good. And I learned young what hard work is.

😎

Sure,,,,until you see horns...Then it’s game face time.

😬😎
You know the routine. California is a cesspool. No actually it is an awesome place with too many people.

Oregon is a chit hole. No, it's actually pretty f'ing awesome with too many people.

Texas sucks. No, not all of it.

Ohio blows........ Uhhhh

Kentucky ain't chit. No it kinda ok for what it is.

Florida is great. LOL

Montana sucks libral governor! Frozen SOB too.

Wyoming blows. That's the wind, duhhh.

😎

Oh, I made a whole bunch more money when they were flying logs around on the bottom of a copter!

This requires further explanation on how helicopter logging put additional greenbacks into your pocket.

😎🤷🏽‍♀️

General comments. Sigh.

The Molotov cocktail commies can burn the whole state down,..and everybody in Oregon will just shake their heads and say, "Them dadburn old power lines again".

Pacific Coast denial is in a class by itself.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/four...ildfires-in-california-oregon-washington
You know the routine. California is a cesspool. No actually it is an awesome place with too many people.

Oregon is a chit hole. No, it's actually pretty f'ing awesome with too many people.

Texas sucks. No, not all of it.

Ohio blows........ Uhhhh

Kentucky ain't chit. No it kinda ok for what it is.

Florida is great. LOL

Montana sucks libral governor! Frozen SOB too.

Wyoming blows. That's the wind, duhhh.

I love Wyoming...When it’s not windy. 😎
,...and that goofy ass Washington governor will allow a city to be taken over and turned into a commie enclave and say, "It's another summer of luuuUUUUuuuuuv"

😎

😬😎

Thanks for the humor. Been a tough week
Missing Oregon a little. Then remebered my concurrent 2 elk, 3 deer, 2 Antelope, bear, cougar, and wolf "tags". . Sigh.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]bb code image hosting

😎

😬😎

Missing Oregon little. Then remebered my concurrent 2 elk, 3 deer, 2 Antelope, bear, cougar, and wolf "tags". . Sigh.

Now I’m sad...

One deer, one bull, one depredations cow elk...I didn’t draw chit outta state.

Pheasant and duck hunting will keep me in camo.

Good Luck this season Boom.

😎

😎

😬😎

Missing Oregon little. Then remebered my concurrent 2 elk, 3 deer, 2 Antelope, bear, cougar, and wolf "tags". . Sigh.

Now I’m sad...

One deer, one bull, one depredations cow elk...I didn’t draw chit outta state.

Pheasant and duck hunting will keep me in camo.

Good Luck this season Boom.

😎

Thanks, right back at you. I've heard there's places back east where, throughout the entire state, there's like hardly any public land and only two species of big game? Lot of wild coons out at night too.
Wonder, Conde’s still around? Got the most beautiful redwood lumber there. Now I have to go watch Sometimes a Great Notion.
Here's a Portland cutie for the album.

I can’t imagine watching someone do this to their face without me calling 911 for Police and Fire to take her on a 72 hour mental hold.

Fug’n crazy chick!

😎

I can’t imagine watching someone do this to their face without me calling 911 for Police and Fire to take her on a 72 hour mental hold.

Fug’n crazy chick!

😎

That looks like sharpie to me.

😎

This requires further explanation on how helicopter logging put additional greenbacks into your pocket.

😎🤷🏽‍♀️

The whole force of employees got bonuses each month based on the whole operation. Everyone, including us fish and wildlife folks, the sales force, the secretaries in the office, the dude that sat in the guard shack at the gate........everyone.

Bonuses were based on projected harvest, projected mill production, projected sales, projected maintenance/breakdown costs, safety, etc all figured out against actual results.

The bonus was a % of your three month rolling average pay, and as I recall it included any OT pay, so basically figured on your gross income. You average $2000 a month lets say, the company beats projections and things go well, no major injuries, the cut comes in as planned, the sales folks move product and they figure out a 10% bonus, you get a $200 check that month.

The circumstances I noted, they had an operation in a nasty ass place in the woods, decided to helicopter log it instead of tearing up the hillside with roads, skidders dragging logs and all that. Big second growth Doug Fir with some residual old stuff in there. Projections were about 4 trucks coming out a day..................they way fuggin underestimated that!

I think on the best day they had 17 trucks come out, the job was done something like 2 weeks ahead of schedule, the wood was killer stuff (high dollar end product), no injuries, the rest of operations had no issues either.

Rather than our normal 5-10% bonus we all got a 28% check that month!!

Bring in the choppers!

General comments. Sigh.

The Molotov cocktail commies can burn the whole state down,..and everybody in Oregon will just shake their heads and say, "Them dadburn old power lines again".

I'm involved with the group of wild land fire fighters that is fighting one of the large fires in Oregon (Archie Creek). We average about 6 arson caused fires per year out of an average of 76 human caused fires per year. This is an average over the last 10 years. We have seen an increase in power line caused fires over the years and so far this year we have had 10 (so far). So arson isn't new, either here or in any other state. I don't know if any of these people (other than the guy in Washington) is Antifa related, but I do believe they all have mental problems and are often homeless.

I do find it frustrating how the media puts out confusing information. Take this quote from the article above:

"Michael Jarrod Bakkela, a transient living in the Oregon woods, was arrested late this week “on two counts of arson, 15 counts of criminal mischief and 14 counts of reckless endangerment,” according to Oregon Live. Bakkela is allegedly responsible for setting one of two major wildfires in Oregon; the fires have now merged, killing at least 24 people, leaving hundreds homeless, and torching at least 5,700 acres of precious forest land".

This is from a September 12 article. He actually set a fire during the Alameda fire (which had already been burning for about 6 hours). The fire he set was in Phoenix, so by that time the fire had burned from Ashland, through Talent and to Phoenix (about 5 miles). How much his fire contributed to the overall destruction will never be known, but he did not set off the Alameda fire. They are currently investigating whether the Alameda fire was arson started in relation to a homicide. Furthermore, the Alameda fire has not merged with any other fire (it is essentially out), it did not kill at least 24 people and by September 12 the 6 or 7 major fires in Oregon had consumed over 500,000 acres.

We do know that when we have large fires, we seem to also have a real uptick in copy cat arson incidents. My personal belief is that we are far too lenient with arsonist and those that negligently start fires (the local Stouts Creek and Milepost 97 fires are example).

General comments. Sigh.

Bristoe, Bristoe, Bristoe,

you, of all folks, believing mainstream news reports and headlines like this

Four People Arrested For Suspected Arson, Intentionally Setting Wildfires In California, Oregon, Washington

None, I repeat, NONE of the four people mentioned in that story started ANY wildfire. Not a one.

All were set on or along major roads, the one that did the most damage in Talent and the Ashland area is right in the Interstate 5 Corridor and there's really nothing "wild" about the area, even for someone living in Kentucky.

So far, there is not one substantiated report of anyone starting any of the real "wildfires" in OR.

Stop believing sensationalized reports of arson caused "wildfires".....................

You're putting a stain on the reputation of intelligent Kentuckians.
okay,.....but keep the garden hose hooked up anyway.
Originally Posted by logger

General comments. Sigh.

I'm involved with the group of wild land fire fighters that is fighting one of the large fires in Oregon (Archie Creek). We average about 6 arson caused fires per year out of an average of 76 human caused fires per year. This is an average over the last 10 years. We have seen an increase in power line caused fires over the years and so far this year we have had 10 (so far). So arson isn't new, either here or in any other state. I don't know if any of these people (other than the guy in Washington) is Antifa related, but I do believe they all have mental problems and are often homeless.

I do find it frustrating how the media puts out confusing information. Take this quote from the article above:

"Michael Jarrod Bakkela, a transient living in the Oregon woods, was arrested late this week “on two counts of arson, 15 counts of criminal mischief and 14 counts of reckless endangerment,” according to Oregon Live. Bakkela is allegedly responsible for setting one of two major wildfires in Oregon; the fires have now merged, killing at least 24 people, leaving hundreds homeless, and torching at least 5,700 acres of precious forest land".

This is from a September 12 article. He actually set a fire during the Alameda fire (which had already been burning for about 6 hours). The fire he set was in Phoenix, so by that time the fire had burned from Ashland, through Talent and to Phoenix (about 5 miles). How much his fire contributed to the overall destruction will never be known, but he did not set off the Alameda fire. They are currently investigating whether the Alameda fire was arson started in relation to a homicide. Furthermore, the Alameda fire has not merged with any other fire (it is essentially out), it did not kill at least 24 people and by September 12 the 6 or 7 major fires in Oregon had consumed over 500,000 acres.

We do know that when we have large fires, we seem to also have a real uptick in copy cat arson incidents. My personal belief is that we are far too lenient with arsonist and those that negligently start fires (the local Stouts Creek and Milepost 97 fires are example).

Gee folks, maybe we should take some intel directly from someone involved in this stuff...................ya think?

Thanks logger, for your input.
You guys listen up Bristoe tellin you how it works in the woods in the PNW. Cutting edge stuff. The Kentucky visionary is on it LMAO!!
You guys listen up Bristoe tellin you how it works in the woods in the PNW. Cutting edge stuff. The Kentucky visionary is on it LMAO!!

You live in a foreign country. Why are you even involving yourself in a discussion of the U.S.A.?
Also, in flyover country people couldn't care less about what happens to the Pacific Coast. It's pretty well known that every ill the country has had to deal with originated there.

The old joke is, most of the country hopes that a big earthquake drops the whole place into the Pacific ocean.

Of course that's not a realistic possibility. But it demonstrates the opinion that a large part of America has regarding that communist infested piece of the U.S.A.

You live in a foreign country. Why are you even involving yourself in a discussion of the U.S.A.?

Because its about fires real close to me. As the 150 yard visibility can attest.

Dude as far as the reality out here you are on another planet plain and simple. Antifa be hiking for days to set fires in the back country far from any roads. Starting a fire several days back on a road isn't proper one must do it right then run like hell so you don't burn up. You're delusional man.

Dude as far as the reality out here you are on another planet

,....and I wouldn't have it any other way.

So we can agree on that. Probably time to STFU about it then.

LOL - we have garden hoses hooked up at our place and we also have 1.5" fire hoses that we can use at 3 hydrants around the house and shop - and we have 7000 gallons of water underground to feed it. Then there is the 550 gallon mobile fire trailer. And as a back up - good insurance and video of the house and shop. You just never know when you live in the woods.

Oh,...I'd just as soon not. I'm a resident of the U.S.A.

I say what I want. Especially to nosy ass Canadians who won't mind their own business.

A fuggin' soyboy whiffenpoof runs your country. So explain to me why what you think regarding the U.S.A. matters?

garden hose--laffin!
Log it or watch it burn. Doesn’t make a lot of difference from where I am.

Oh,...I'd just as soon not. I'm a resident of the U.S.A.

I say what I want. Especially to nosy ass Canadians who won't mind their own business.

A fuggin' soyboy whiffenpoof runs your country. So explain to me why what you think regarding the U.S.A. matters?

Good thing we've got your outer planetary enlightenment for balance. Stay on the pavement now...
I'm from BC. , we deal with forest fires regularly. Logging isn't going to stop them. What's needed around built up areas is fuel removal. It's expensive and labour intensive.
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
I'm from BC. , we deal with forest fires regularly. Logging isn't going to stop them. What's needed around built up areas is fuel removal. It's expensive and labour intensive.

Stop making sense.

It's not welcome around here.
The next battle after the fires are out is going to be trying to salvage what timber can be used and getting it to market. The last time we had a fire season like this, the treehuggers and other environmentalists filed suit to keep the logging companies out and stalled the logging for a couple years.. Once the burned logs stand for 1-2 years after a fire, they aren't worth harvesting and processing and now those forests stand dead and worthless and huge amounts of money and jobs lost ... on top of that, logging companies that harvest the logs are responsible for replanting the area with new trees within two years to start the regrowth cycle over again. No logging companies and harvesting- no replanting happening and it still looks dead years later. The best example is the drive from Idanha to Sisters over Santiam Pass. The section from Lost Lake to the summit is heartbreaking every time I go over it....

Bob
Happens here every time there's a fire too.

Somehow, the USFS manages to get some cuts in, even given the lawsuits. But, knowing folks in the offices, it's a real pain in the ass sometimes.

Hope they can get some of that out at least.

Any idea in those fires how much is on private woodlands?
Originally Posted by Sheister
The section from Lost Lake to the summit is heartbreaking every time I go over it....

Bob

Yes,but it was fantastic deer hunting for awhile..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by Santiam
The section from Lost Lake to the summit is heartbreaking every time I go over it....

Bob

That's an early season there. Velvet still on a rifle hunt. Must be one of the high elevation hunts?
https://www.oregonlive.com/news/202...s-the-unprecedented-was-predictable.html

The most common word being used to describe Oregon’s ongoing wildfire cataclysm is “unprecedented.”

That’s certainly the case in modern recorded history when it comes to the sheer number of conflagrations and megafires that erupted starting Labor Day. A powerful windstorm caused fires to race through Oregon’s typically more fire-resistant forests on the west side of the Cascades for 72 hours.

When the damage is eventually tallied, the number of structures lost and evacuees will dwarf any previous total in the history of the state by orders of magnitude. The number of acres burned over just a week is likely to surpass annual statewide totals from even the largest fire seasons of the past. And more tragically, the loss of life, as Gov. Kate Brown warned Wednesday, may be the largest ever experienced.

Yet while last week’s hellfire was unusual, it was not, in fact, unprecedented.

The “east wind event” that conspired with existing drought conditions to blow up two low-level fires and other human-caused ignitions last Monday is rare but hardly unique, academics and fire experts say. The winds were the main culprit in making the catastrophic infernos as fast moving as they were.

Experts say those east winds are Oregon’s version of the dry, downslope Santa Ana winds that stoke big fires in California. They have long blamed them for some of the largest westside fires in modern Oregon history and say similar wind-driven megafires have shaped the entire ecosystem west of the Cascades over millennia.

Neither the wind event nor the fires were unpredictable. The windstorm and resulting fire danger were forecast days in advance, but with little appreciable effect.

Moreover, scientists have long pointed to the inverse relationship between fire frequency and severity on the west side – that is, fewer fires can mean more intense fires -- and they warn that fire is moving west to the overgrown forests and population centers of the Willamette Valley and southwest Oregon in an age of global warming.

That recognition, however, has spurred little movement beyond the established battle lines that have characterized forestry debate in Oregon for decades. The prospect of widespread forest treatments in the complex ecosystems of the west side – establishing fire breaks and using thinning and prescribed burns to reduce the fuels that choke forest floors – is environmentally unthinkable to some, and impractical to others.

That leaves Oregon facing the paradox of relying on full fire suppression. But leaping on every fire and putting it out immediately is the practice that helped create the problem in the first place.

Alternatively, Oregon can turn to other, easier measures. It could adopt policies requiring more frequent pre-emptive blackouts by utilities so that downed power lines do not spark fires. Or the state could force updated building codes, regulations on defensible space near structures, and incorporate wildfire risk in land-use planning and zoning.

But those policies won’t stop big fires and are contentious, too. And in a legislative session shortened by a Republican walkout over climate change legislation, none of them gained ground. Bills to expand forest treatments across the state, as well as legislation to modernize and bolster the Oregon Department of Forestry’s ability to put down wildfires quickly, went nowhere.

It’s possible that the sheer scale of this week’s tragedy will reframe and accelerate the debate. But if so, the problems will compete with COVID-19 for a strapped state budget, with poor prospects for major new investments.

“We’re sobered right now,” said Sen. Jeff Golden, D-Ashland, who chaired the Legislature’s Committee on Wildfire Preparedness and whose district encompasses some of the most catastrophically impacted communities in the state. “But in the past we’ve been sobered and I haven’t seen us come together around the causes we have to address.”

East wind events:

The strong and persistent windstorm that started Monday and stoked the big fires is unusual, but academics say similar conditions were a prime factor in many of the most infamous, fast-running west-side conflagrations since Europeans settled in Oregon.

Those include the 1902 Yacolt Burn, which torched 500,000 acres in Southwest Washington and parts of Oregon and killed at least 65 people. Easterly gales were a main ingredient in the Tillamook Burn of 1933, which initially burned 40,000 acres west of Gales Creek over 10 days, then devoured an additional 200,000 acres in 20 hours when stoked by hot east winds. East winds were also implicated in the Bandon fire of 1936, which burned 143,000 acres, consumed the town of 1,800 and killed at least 10 people.

In 1957, Owen Cramer, a meteorologist at the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Pacific Northwest Research Station, authored a paper describing the close relationship between occurrences of severe easterly winds and large forest fires in northwest Oregon and southwest Washington.

“The history of forest conflagrations in the Northwest is, for the most part, a history of the simultaneous occurrence of small fires and severe east winds,” he wrote, going on to describe the exact weather pattern that took place on Labor Day. “Under these conditions fires run wild and fire-control men must be prepared for the worst.”

Daniel Donato, a natural resource scientist at Washington Department of Natural Resources, is currently studying the relationship between east wind events and large fires. He says there’s ample precedent and it’s fair to say it’s characteristic of the landscape west of the Cascades.

He likens it to the recent awakening around the likelihood of a Cascadia subduction zone earthquake. “We get lulled into this sense that it doesn’t happen here. It’s a California problem. But it does happen here, with low frequency,” he said.

Dan Gavin is a geographer at the University of Oregon who studies the history and pattern of fires in wet forest types west of the Cascade Range. He says the best evidence of pre-European, west-side megafires comes from core samples of remaining old-growth trees in protected areas and tree-ring studies in stumps from 1980s clearcuts. Coupled with sediment studies, they show that big fires have been a constant presence on the landscape for at least 11,000 years, leaving uniformly aged stands of Douglas-fir across Western Oregon and Washington at intervals of 100 to 250 years.

In the hierarchy of factors that dictate how fast and far a fire will burn – fuels, topography and weather – wind speed and direction are key drivers. And since those fires have no obvious ignition source, he says, they were likely either “lightning holdovers” or fires set by indigenous tribes along hunting routes that smoldered for days to weeks before a hot and persistent east wind kicked up, bellowing the fires and preventing the typical nighttime increase in relative humidity that comes with normal westerly marine flows.

That’s what happened Monday. Two fires – Beachie Creek and Lionshead – had been burning for weeks in steep terrain. By late August, Beachie Creek was small enough that forestry officials reassigned scarce resources to other, higher-priority fires. On Monday night and Tuesday morning, however, high winds pushed down drainages from the crest of the Cascades, gaining temperature as they drove toward the valley floor. Both fires exploded, with Beachie Creek making a spectacular 55-mile run of flame toward the valley. Together, they formed a 313,000-acre behemoth by Friday.

Similar scenarios played out to the north and south.

The idea of human-set fire is also apt. Most of the fires burning in Western Oregon today were not caused by lightning, which doesn’t occur during the atmospheric conditions in place Monday. Officials have yet to identify the cause for most of the blazes, saying they are under investigation. But with population increases, particularly in what fire experts call the wildland-urban interface, 70 percent of fires in Oregon today are human caused, and earlier this summer, the percentage was 90 percent, according the Oregon Department of Forestry.

Academics are reluctant to attribute any one event to human-caused climate change. But there is broad consensus that climate change is driving higher temperatures, changes in precipitation patterns and drought cycles across the west and in Western Oregon.

“Climate change is loading the dice,” Donato said. “It’s deepening and lengthening summer drought. Loading that one die is part of the west-side fire equation.”

A 2019 report by the Oregon Climate Change Research Institute found that fire risk due to climate change is projected to increase across the state by mid-century, with the largest increases in the Willamette Valley and Eastern Oregon.

Likewise, a 2019 risk assessment by the Governor’s Council on Wildfire Response specifically identified areas of Clackamas, Marion and Lane counties as well as much of Southwest Oregon as areas of high and increasing wildfire risk.

Patrick Bartlein, another University of Oregon geographer whose research includes environmental modeling, says making the connection between a particular wind event and climate change is tricky to do. But ingredients of the atmospheric setup for Monday’s windstorm can be related to global change, he said, including the eastern Pacific Ocean being 5 degrees warmer this summer than the 30-year average, which heats the atmosphere and reinforces the weather pattern that caused it.

“A lot of the components of that event are consistent with human-caused climate change,” he said.

Reacting, now and in the future

If more frequent fire is coming to Western Oregon, it raises the question of what can be done, immediately and in the future.

Authorities and residents in the Santiam Canyon, along the McKenzie River and in Clackamas County were uniformly caught off guard by the freakish speed of the fires' advance, despite clear weather warnings. And some residents said evacuation notices came late, if at all.

The National Weather Service was issuing hazardous fire weather warnings Friday, Sept. 4, calling for warm, dry and windy conditions between the next Monday and Wednesday.

They repeated high fire danger warning Saturday Sept. 5: “It’s going to be quite warm again next week. But the big story is increased fire danger due to strong east winds and a very dry air mass. Fire starts have the potential to be very active and spread quickly.”

The agency’s “urgent fire weather” message for the region came again Sunday, Sept. 6, at 3 p.m.: “HISTORIC SEPTEMBER EAST WIND EVENT LIKELY, PEAKING MONDAY NIGHT AND TUESDAY. EXTREMELY DRY CONDITIONS LIKELY TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY.”

By Monday morning, however, the Marion County Sheriff’s office said on its Facebook page that it was “hearing of rumors spreading in town of a possible evacuation inside the city of Detroit. There are no plans for an evacuation inside the city of Detroit at this time.”

The lake was still open. Tourists were in town. Later that night, there was no warning. The fire was there. Residents fled down Oregon 22 with flames on both sides of road.

“It was frantic,” Detroit Mayor Jim Trett told Oregon Public Broadcasting. “The calls started about midnight to evacuate. We hadn’t even been declared a Level 1 as of yet, which is just “Listen.” We went from nothing to a Level 3, and in less than 24 hours. But when they called at midnight, we had people in bed, and the way they got told it was just people pounding on their doors saying ‘get out.’”

It was similar story for Michelle Jarvis, who lives south of Estacada in Clackamas County. She said she signed up for emergency notifications on her phone as the Riverside fire loomed in the distance Tuesday morning.

“I don’t remember getting any Level 1 or 2,” she said. “I wondered if they even worked until the officer was coming down my driveway (around 4 p.m.) and telling us to leave. Then I started getting the alert. It happened super-fast.”

It’s also unclear if utilities shut their grids down early enough with pre-emptive blackouts. Electric utilities' role in causing or preventing wildfire has been a hot topic since 2018, when PG&E’s failure to stop the flow of power on a high-voltage line in Northern California caused the Camp fire, which immolated the town of Paradise and killed 84 people. Facing $18 billion in damage claims from the fire, the company filed for bankruptcy last year and ended up pleading guilty to 84 counts of involuntary manslaughter.

Oregon Public Utility Commission Chair Megan Decker issued a statement Friday addressing the potential problem.

“Downed power lines can be a source of ignition and will be examined in the formal investigations that are yet to come. At this point the PUC has no information attributing any specific wildfire to any specific Oregon utility. As with every major fire, full investigations will deliver the facts that we need to determine root causes, including information about whether utility lines were a primary ignition source.”

Local utilities have been honing their wildfire preparedness ever since the Camp fire, increasing vegetation management, replacing wooden poles, upgrading grids to react more quickly and communicating with customers about the potential for “public safety power outages.”

With the wind forecast in place Saturday, Sept. 5, Portland General Electric started preparing for its first ever fire prevention blackout for customers on Mount Hood. It warned local officials, then sent out customer notifications the next day. And at 7:15 p.m. on Monday, it pulled the plug, cutting off power for roughly 5,000 customers from Alder Creek to Government Camp.

PacifiCorp, which serves customers up the Santiam Canyon, did not do the same, and there are unconfirmed reports that downed power lines may have exacerbated existing fires in that area.

The utility issued a statement Wednesday, saying it was working with local and state authorities to investigate fire causes, but that pre-emptive blackouts need to meet very specific criteria based on “historical fire behavior, topology, wind speed and directionality, fuel loading, and current local situations like community evacuations.”

“Shutting off power to our service territory in advance of the event could have created more issues for suppression and evacuation efforts,” the statement said.

Two public utilities, Lane Electric Cooperative and Eugene Water and Electric Board, serve customers along the McKenzie River, where fire causes are still under investigation.

The former, which serves the devastated town of Blue River, began to get multiple outage calls Monday evening, possibly because of high winds, and ultimately elected to shut down its lines early Tuesday morning, said Jonathan Farmer, a spokesman. It brought its grid partially back online Tuesday only to shut it down again Tuesday night amid deteriorating conditions.

“We don’t have any idea what that cause was,” he said. “We hope it wasn’t us, but we await results” of an investigation.

EWEB, which serves customers down the valley, from the community of Vida and below, said it was watching the weather but didn’t institute any pre-emptive blackouts. It started seeing spot outages in its service territory along the river Monday night and took several substations and the customers they serve down about 8:30 p.m. By Tuesday morning, it shut off the rest of its McKenzie River substations.

“We’ll learn from this and we’ll probably refine our plans,” said Joe Harwood, a utility spokesman. “Theoretically we could be even more pre-emptive.”

It’s not a popular decision among customers. Even in Northern California, where people have fresh memories of one of the worst utility-caused tragedies in decades, the public outcry over subsequent pre-emptive blackouts by PG&E has been intense, said Matt Donegan, who chaired the Council on Wildfire Response that Gov. Kate Brown set up in Jan. 2019 to address the state’s burgeoning wildfire risks and skyrocketing costs.

Nevertheless, he said he fully expects we’re going to see a lot more of them. “It’s going to be a very common practice, because of climate change, because of the vegetative problems. But I think we’re going to see a lot of public pushback on that.”

And that lack of public consensus is the issue around the most common strategies to deal with wildfire risk.

Take forest thinning and similar measures. The wood products industry and representatives from rural communities are big supporters of this strategy because of the jobs and revenues it would bring.

Meanwhile, Donato and other researchers suggest that treating big portions of the west side forests through thinning, prescribed burns and other fuel reduction efforts is an impractical, Sisyphean task.

The scale of the problem is so vast, Donato said, and the forests so biologically productive, that “even if we somehow miraculously caught up with fuels reduction on the west side, it would grow back in a matter of years. It’s not even relevant to the west side. It doesn’t even need to be a conversation.”

For conservationists, meanwhile, the prospect of meddling in the complex ecosystems of the west side forests is unthinkable. Oregonians value them as they are, aesthetically, as carbon sinks, for clean water, wildlife and recreation. They also suggest that the value of treatments in all but the most vulnerable communities is minimal, because the percentage of wildfires that actually encounter a treatment is extremely low.

Donegan says he’s not sure there’s absolute consensus around that conclusion. But after living through the public debate around one of the council’s chief recommendations, spending $4 billion over 20 years to treat 5.6 million acres of forest and grasslands, he acknowledges that it’s off the table for now, on the west side at least.

“It’s the third rail,” he said.

There was plenty of discussion about competing bills from the governor and Sen. Herman Baertschiger, R-Grants Pass, to beef up and modernize the Department of Forestry’s firefighting capabilities, adding more bodies, buying or leasing new equipment and rejiggering its dysfunctional system for paying its exploding fire costs.

They died too.

It is feasible that Oregonians can agree on some of the wildfire mitigation and adaptation strategies that the council recommended. Among many others, they include updating building codes, increasing enforceable requirements on defensible space, incorporating wildfire risk in land-use planning and zoning.

But those recommendations aren’t universally popular either. Should the requirements apply to new construction vs. retrofits of existing homes? How to assure low-income communities benefit? Do you adopt penalties for neighbors who don’t comply with defensible space?

The major selling point of the council’s recommendations was that the state can save money, forestland, lives and communities in the long run by making investments and sensible policy changes now.

“I thought the entire council engaged in good critical thinking,” Donegan said. “They were intellectually honest and took off their partisan hats. It was a big tent approach. Then you get to the legislative process and a lot of those more familiar battle lines reemerged. That was obviously very disappointing.”

The first couple of sentences in the article says that the fires are indeed unprecedented,..exactly the opposite of what the headline reads.

When the damage is eventually tallied, the number of structures lost and evacuees will dwarf any previous total in the history of the state by orders of magnitude. The number of acres burned over just a week is likely to surpass annual statewide totals from even the largest fire seasons of the past.

The facial art is totally unnecessary. You can clearly see the crazy in the eyes.
Originally Posted by Santiam

Bob

I lived in Sisters for 25 years and bowhunted the living sheit out of Hogg Rock and surrounding ground. Killed bull elk all over there before the burn. It was my own private honey hole for years. Man, I could tell you some cool call-in stories of monster bulls there.

Found artifacts from the railroad grade construction that went around Hogg Rock. Hunted grouse there, picked huckleberries. Truly my own piece of heaven for many years. Until that day I carried a bull elk back to the truck parked out by the road. When I got to the road, there was a line of cars caught in road construction. Someone in that line of cars saw me loading that bull into my truck and the next year there were bootprints all over that country. Ruined.

The first couple of sentences in the article says that the fires are indeed unprecedented,..exactly the opposite of what the headline reads.

When the damage is eventually tallied, the number of structures lost and evacuees will dwarf any previous total in the history of the state by orders of magnitude. The number of acres burned over just a week is likely to surpass annual statewide totals from even the largest fire seasons of the past.

That’s certainly the case in modern recorded history when it comes to the sheer number of conflagrations and megafires that erupted starting Labor Day. A powerful windstorm caused fires to race through Oregon’s typically more fire-resistant forests on the west side of the Cascades for 72 hours.

Maybe a new thread is in order for folks with personal experience in forests?

Real forests?
or are you including tree farms?

Real forests?

And large landscapes and stuff?

Real forests?

And large landscapes and stuff?

Awful lot of 20 acre Christmas tree and hazlenut forests around Sherwood/Newberg. Maybe we need to include those?

Almond orchards in the Valley kinda look like a forest too.
How about trees along the fence line out of reach from the sickle mower? They got birds and everything in them.
How about trees along the fence line out of reach from the sickle mower? They got birds and everything in them.

If they been there 20 years we can classify them as Old Growth right?
I have several trees in my yard and would like to contribute.
Does my 5 acre plot count. I got 120ft tall reprod on it.

If they been there 20 years we can classify them as Old Growth right?

I think that's why they got linear parks and stuff

I turned 60 last month so I got wood older than that but I'm keepin quiet about it don't want no stinkin old growth status..
Haven't seen a spotted owl on my place yet and I'm too far inland for marbled murrelets. All the stuff on my place is also older than this 60yo. Except the balck berries. I kill them every year and they are born again in the Spring.
Them spotted owls were almost tame. I had one hit my hat one night as I walked out of the woods after bowhunting elk on a spring/wallow all day. I was wearing a wool hat with a ball on top. It was right at dusk. I felt something brush my head then an instant later he lit on a branch in front of me, just above eye level. I took off a wool glove, did some mouth squeaks, shook it a little and threw it on the ground under the tree. He kinked his neck bath and forth looking at that glove on the ground and finally glided off.

Have had them land in a tree close to me other times not at all alarmed by my presence. Fun little birds.
Actually, that article takes me back to my previous life as a forestry writer, for Evergreen. One fiasco that kept me busy in the early 2000's was the Biscuit fire and the junk "science" that came out of it. Biscuit burnt 10 billion feet of mature timber, four of it in wilderness, with about four billion a complete no-brainer in terms of legality and salvage under normal circumstances. That was reduced to two billion just because there was so much dead and so little capacity to take the wood in the two-year salvage window. How much came off? 285 million feet or so.
A couple of years later, there was a short item in Science, a one page paper that popped off 58 separate national media stories, the paper became known as the "Donato paper." My computer blew up that night as a number of forestry academics called BS on the paper, which basically said "Thou Shalt Not Salvage Because Thou Art Killing Seedlings."
Never mind that in SE Oregon, having too many seedlings germinate is actually a problem, and it's good to kill a good number to limit competition for light and water. Never mind seedling mortality had been studied in 1947, quite definitively.
So, away I went to Oregon, to Congressional hearings, field trips, and university campuses. First, I found out that Dan Donato's Forest Service liason and grant administrator, Tom Sensenig, had been cut out of the loop by Donato's OSU academic advisor, J Boone Kaufmann. In turn, Boone had led zero-cut Sierra Club rallies in Potland in the 1990s, AND was one of 8 authors of something called the Beschta Report, never peer reviewed, basically, Thou Shalt Not Ever Log or Salvage Anything Ever Again, that kept popping up as "science" in multiple northwest court cases.
Even more disgusting, after I'd done a FOIA at OSU, I waded through an 8 inch stack of correspondence and learned this "paper" had only one peer reviewer, who had taken "20 minutes" to review and approve it for publication in Science. The reviewer? Jerry Franklin, the guy responsible for a lot of the stupidity in the Northwest Forest Plan.
I've written lots about this abuse of "science" -- it really made a cynic out of me, how so many credentialed people are total snakes, pure ideologues. If any of you want more, you can probably find my articles by Googling "Dave Skinner" with Biscuit and any of the names here. But yeah, that was a low point for me personally in terms of science, and "science journalism."
But, Dave, you support climate change don't you?
Boone is about as agenda driven as science gets. I was at the Dept at OSU during '96-'02, but stuck mostly to sagebrush stuff and at a pion level.

Feeding spotted owls white mice don't seem too sciency to me neither.
Yeah, I support climate changing. And I noticed it USED to be "global warming" but they decided to cover any contingency.

The problem with the changeists is, they haven't come up with any answer as to why such massive disruptions are appropriate in order to "prevent warming." And honestly, so the eff what if Northwest Territories actually has orange groves?

The facial art is totally unnecessary. You can clearly see the crazy in the eyes.

Crazy eyes, but the sharpie marks is for the purpose of defeating facial recognition technology.
Haven't seen a spotted owl on my place yet and I'm too far inland for marbled murrelets. All the stuff on my place is also older than this 60yo. Except the balck berries. I kill them every year and they are born again in the Spring.

My paternal grandfather literally lived in and around old growth throughout western Oregon, timber faller from way back, like Depression era. NEVER even once saw a spotted owl and he was in the woods hunting running hounds... Passed on in '93 and I know today's Oregon would sicken him.
Climate changes, no doubt about it.
Boomer, Boone isn't a scientist. He's an advocate with a fancy degree.

And get this. The Beschta report was particularly singled out as garbage by USFS Chief Dale Bosworth, for not being peer reviewed, but basically a talking points paper done for a green group -- I think Pacific Rivers Council. Fast forward a couple of years, and J Boone Kauffman ends up being deputy chief of research for USFS Pacific Islands Research Station. That's where he went after the Donato fiasco, which tells me how clueless Bosworthless's leadership turned out to be.

Another guy, who WAS Deputy Chief of Research for the entire forest service, Bob Buckman, put it like this to me: "All scientists have their values. I have mine, too. But if I let my values override science, then my science loses all value."
That period, The TWS, OR-TWS was soo full of chit with their New Paradigms in Wildlife Management. Fuggin salamanders, KMAFB! Just nonsense galore.

Or the dicccheads that'd go with "best science available" even when knowing it was wrong. Coooocksuuukers.
I have some questions about how to lessen wild fires. I've heard that in Slick Willy Clinton's terms as Prez, the greenies got a lot of legislation passed that stopped the logging and that's when the price of lumber went through the roof. And this added fuel to the fires because it took away the fire breaks. How true is this? I mean I can see it, it makes common sense.

Now on face book there is an article that is preaching controlled burns to reduce dry leaves and scrubs on the ground which add fuel to wildfires. They also help control tree diseases and kill invasive plants. There's so much CONTROLLED BURNS and CONTROLLED LOGGING will benefit the forests and people that live in and around them.(Why did they quit calling them forest fires? That's what they are, forest fires. Maybe some greenie BS. But they are FOREST FIRES. A wild fire could be in town.)

I mean I can see all this as good conservation. Why do the Greenie Tree Huggers oppose it? I mean if it's about the spotted owl hell they gotta know one of these fires probably kills hundreds of them. If you cut a tree down the owl will fly off and find another tree. It's common sense, unless someone on here knows a good reason against it. These people must be truly looney, and not the good kind of looney that goes with guns. WHY!
Originally Posted by Fubarski

Crazy eyes, but the sharpie marks is for the purpose of defeating facial recognition technology.

That’s silly, I’d recognize her anywhere!
Originally Posted by Filaman
I have some questions about how to lessen wild fires. I've heard that in Slick Willy Clinton's terms as Prez, the greenies got a lot of legislation passed that stopped the logging and that's when the price of lumber went through the roof. And this added fuel to the fires because it took away the fire breaks. How true is this? I mean I can see it, it makes common sense.

Now on face book there is an article that is preaching controlled burns to reduce dry leaves and scrubs on the ground which add fuel to wildfires. They also help control tree diseases and kill invasive plants. There's so much CONTROLLED BURNS and CONTROLLED LOGGING will benefit the forests and people that live in and around them.(Why did they quit calling them forest fires? That's what they are, forest fires. Maybe some greenie BS. But they are FOREST FIRES. A wild fire could be in town.)

I mean I can see all this as good conservation. Why do the Greenie Tree Huggers oppose it? I mean if it's about the spotted owl hell they gotta know one of these fires probably kills hundreds of them. If you cut a tree down the owl will fly off and find another tree. It's common sense, unless someone on here knows a good reason against it. These people must be truly looney, and not the good kind of looney that goes with guns. WHY!

This article describes some of the challenges on fire management of the west side of the Cascades. Ignore the GW stuff. GW isn't going to make the forest drier, but it might extend the fire season.

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/202...s-the-unprecedented-was-predictable.html

September has always been peak fire season around here and this is no exception.

This area is pretty much temperate rain forest. Most of our fall winter and spring are damp and large area are not largely frozen or snow covered most of the winter. This is perfect conditions for growing not only large trees but also under brush. If you log an area or it burns off, most of the brush will be back in a few years. This makes the kind of prescribed burns that are possible in other areas, impracticable here. You'd have to burn it every five to ten years.

Now while I said we're wet most of the year, our summers are usually very dry. We normally get very little rain from about mid-June to Mid- September. This year it's been very dry.

This set the conditions for fire. Historically we have had these types of conflagrations every 50 or so years in the state, with most areas seeing it burned every 200-300 years for the past 11000 years. The article mentions forests with all the same age trees. That's from the big fires.

When we get a dry east wind in a forest that's bone dry, it doesn't take much to set it off. The winds at Timberline Lodge were recorded a 80mph for most of last week.

What's different with the fires going on now is that there are so many. Some of them were cause by lightning fires that were smouldering. Some were power lines. One I know was a vehicle caused fire. One of the fires in Ashland was arson. The rest they're still investigating.

Personally given the history of fire in the area, I doubt there is much we can do about them. If you have a fires that are burning at 20-30mph you can't stop it.

Well said Steve. ^^^^^
© 24hourcampfire