Moose
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Salty303
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Maybe we aughta cleacut that f*cking Kings Canyon? How about that wasteland Yellowstone? Lets f*cking open up Glacier! Piss on it go go go go! God damnit people are f*cking starving! Cut the damned Redwoods down! Highlead right up elCapitan! F*ck yah! Salmon River, Bob Marshall, cut cut cut!
Carry on.

Highlead el Capital... LMAO!!

Central Park in NY has some dandy oak trees just sayin..

Log it! Damned squirrel habitat!
Originally Posted by Steve
Maybe we aughta cleacut that f*cking Kings Canyon? How about that wasteland Yellowstone? Lets f*cking open up Glacier! Piss on it go go go go! God damnit people are f*cking starving! Cut the damned Redwoods down! Highlead right up elCapitan! F*ck yah! Salmon River, Bob Marshall, cut cut cut!
Carry on.

I get ya Boomer. Have a beer.

I have been in plenty of trouble saying such things, in places like Molalla and Estacada!

There was such pressure to cut the last of the old growth it led to the faux spotted owl nonsense and closed it all down. See where the hardline cut cut cut attitude got us? Don't consider it nutty to like some mature forests that were there when Columbus was lost and the Maya were building pyramids. It's God's mighty handywork.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We need to have a beer together some time.

Carpe' Scrotum
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Traveler52
Karma's a bitch

Not so sure. Fires are more apt to settle down in old growth. More problems with the poorly managed 2nd and 3rd growth, and urban interface areas. But, yah f*ck, Muir, Leupold, Roosevelt, Shelton, Pulaski etal, fugging doogooders.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Steve
We need to have a beer together some time.

Sure thing Steve.

--- Kid Rock 2022

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
There are ways to log land without turning it to crap.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Get with it Val, sometimes the only way to save ANYTHING is to fire up the chainsaws and make some money creating defensible space. My heart is not broken over this, in fact, if Atiyeh in fact was immolated, there's a certain bitter justice. Too bad it wasn't Andy Kerr.

Won't argue that Dave. In some circumstances the best way too.

But, I think the man wanted to preserve (yep, there's that sometimes nasty word) a particular portion of a system that was rapidly disappearing. THAT can't be done by logging it. Big trees like that will not grow back in your children's lifetime, their grandkids lifetimes, or even their grandkids grandkids lifetimes. Maybe take that section of forest he wanted to preserve and surround it with a bare dirt buffer 500' wide? Log that buffer and put in a lawn? Soccer fields maybe?

The sad fact of the matter is some folks want to see groves of trees and sections of forest that are relatively untouched by man since before the modern calendar started. Others see those forests as jobs and houses and paper pulp.

Jimy made a very valid point. If there's truly a shortage of lumber products in the US of A, why do I have pictures of barges loaded with logs and ready to go downriver to Japan? And that's just on the Columbia, not counting Coos Bay, places in AK, and Puget Sound. Would not all those logs make good wood products for the US of A, and maybe there would be a few more jobs here? Maybe we wouldn't have to import wood products from Canada?

I, for one, am really glad his predecessors in preserving big trees did such a good job with Redwood State and National Parks. Having spent multiple days there, being as how I lived in the area, I can tell everyone that's never seen one there is nothing, repeat nothing, like it in any area that's been logged. Having worked for a few years on 350,000+ acres of private timberlands I kinda know what I'm talking about there. And I've seen preserved areas in PA, WA, OR and AK, so I'd have to say the guy likely did the OR public a service in saving that particular patch of woods.

Could be they're all gone now? Yep. Could be whether man was involved or not, that section of woods could have gone up in any dry year. Odds of those trees standing through a fire event are a lot higher than them standing through a chainsaw event though.

I'll have to look up the Kerr dude. Don't know of him offhand.

Enjoy your evening up there.

You big greenie, you!

I came to Idaho in 1983. Hunted all but seven years since then (college years). Did not see “old growth” forest until 2012 and it literally took my breath away. Ponderosa pines, no more than 7 or 8 to the acre, elk meadows, stunning. To walk out of dog hair pine into an open parkland like that is one of my most memorable experiences.

The only reason it exists is that it was about 100 acres on the Black Bird mine property, and didn’t get logged with the rest of it. And I loved hunting the rest of it, shot my first 6 point bull the next ridge over. But those ponderosas were something special.

I’m ok with not cutting it all. The boys in Alabama got lots of white pine that needs cutting.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
If you don't cut that stuff the Oregon fire bug commies will toss Molotov cocktails right smack dab in the middle of it and you end up with what you got right now.

Evidently, there's a war going on in Oregon between the tree hugging commies and the molotov cocktail commies.

So far, the tree hugging commies seem to be suckin' hind tit in the matter.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Traveler52
Karma's a bitch

Not so sure. Fires are more apt to settle down in old growth. More problems with the poorly managed 2nd and 3rd growth, and urban interface areas. But, yah f*ck, Muir, Leupold, Roosevelt, Shelton, Pulaski etal, fugging doogooders.

Boy, sounds like someone touched a nerve?

If I was a drinkin' man I'd have you down for a cold one too. Straight down the 5 from Steves, turn left on 299. Or come over the Cascades while still in OR. Scout out some trees for clearcutting in Crater Lake NP!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dutch

You big greenie, you!

I came to Idaho in 1983. Hunted all but seven years since then (college years). Did not see “old growth” forest until 2012 and it literally took my breath away. Ponderosa pines, no more than 7 or 8 to the acre, elk meadows, stunning. To walk out of dog hair pine into an open parkland like that is one of my most memorable experiences.

The only reason it exists is that it was about 100 acres on the Black Bird mine property, and didn’t get logged with the rest of it. And I loved hunting the rest of it, shot my first 6 point bull the next ridge over. But those ponderosas were something special.

I’m ok with not cutting it all. The boys in Alabama got lots of white pine that needs cutting.

The heck with Alabama.

The private lands on the West side have plenty of wood. There's some good second growth in some USFS, BLM, and State lands too. One thing we can grow on the Wet Side is trees.

We just can't grow those 8'-10' diameter ones in much less than 6 generations though.

8-10 Ponderosas per acre is just about right when they're full grown. Special places for sure.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by plainsman456

Indeed. And generally speaking this was not done for the first 100 years of logging in the PNW. What's been needed for the past 4 decades, is overcoming that legacy, using the tools and knowledge we now have rather than cutting the remaining ancient groves. Man, there's a lifetime of timber out here on our public lands without touching anything over 150 years old.

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Hell there aren't even mills that can handle big logs anymore. And then we export the good stuff and get the Home Depot chit. Dag burnit!

How about a Guinness NA? LOL

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 09/13/20.

--- Kid Rock 2022

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by tater74
[/quote]

Let me get this straight. If they logged it it would no longer be good for hunting and fishing?

I shot my first elk in a clear-cut. [/quote]

No one has ever said that and, be careful and read along.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Bristoe
If you don't cut that stuff the Oregon fire bug commies will toss Molotov cocktails right smack dab in the middle of it and you end up with what you got right now.
e's a war going on in Oregon between the tree hugging commies and the molotov cocktail commies.

So far, the tree hugging commies seem to be suckin' hind tit in the matter.

And at which Time one of youwill have had have enough holdingson to bennnifett.the once the repentants stop?

Last edited by jimy; 09/13/20.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I miss this place up possibly where the Riverside Fire burned, or even the Beachie. A deep cool canyon of old growth fir hemlock and cedar between two logged ridges from the 80s. Rhodies 20 maybe 30 foot tall. Never connected but it was quite a place to just wander and climb through. Kentucky folk can only dream of such wilderness and it's just another draw amoung hundreds. 6' fir with bark a foit thick. Conchs you couldn't reach around. 3' trees growing from ancient winfall. Oh gush gush...

Cut it? How about in 2600 or so.,

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 09/13/20.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by plainsman456

Indeed. And generally speaking this was not done for the first 100 years of logging in the PNW. What's been needed for the past 4 decades, is overcoming that legacy, using the tools and knowledge we now have rather than cutting the remaining ancient groves. Man, there's a lifetime of timber out here on our public lands without touching anything over 150 years old.

A couple of the biggest players up here don't log any old growth any more as of about 2010 . Its worth their while not to and get the eco stamp that Home Depot, Lowes etc. demand to show they're selling "sustainable" products. Granted other than in parks most of the old growth is gone but they do have some but like they say follow the money it was a business decision. They'll do way better going after the 2nd and 3rd growth which easily makes the lumber and building supplies used today.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Kentucky folk can only dream of such wilderness

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hell there aren't even mills that can handle big logs anymore. And then we export the good stuff and get the Home Depot chit. Dag burnit!

How about a Guinness NA? LOL

I've been known to have one of those on occasion. Or a St Pauli's girl NA.

Probably can find one or the other even in this podunk town. If not, I'm not drinking no version of Coors NA. Nope Nope Nope!

The outfit I worked for back in the 90's couldn't take anything over 36" in their new mill, but could put out a million BF a day if they ran 24 hrs. Anything bigger had to be shipped to the old mill down on the waterfront. Even big second growth logs were a problem for them and had to be sent away. But............they could use everything down to a 4" top!

That mill is probably outdated now or has had the computerized saws upgraded.

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The sound of chain saws and “beep-beep” of a logger sending the carriage in the mountains makes me smile.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

General comments. Sigh.

Yes indeed the influx of people has phucqked. Oregon to the point of having that khuunt Kate. It's phucqking sad.

Yet the geology climate flora and fauna (etc) are still, hard to argue otherwise, most awesome... The list would be thread worthy in itself and beyond my scope this evening.

When anyone, inbred or otherwise, has any evidence that fires were intentionally set, in Oregon old growth this past week, please post it up. Obviously, some have been around little of the sort to have valuable insights. Carry-on.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 1minute, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,785
Posts18,515,806
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.