Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Well ain't that a bitch.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Was he "anti-logging" in general or just for a special place near his home?

Seems a number of our OR members consider Opal Creek and the surrounding area as something pretty cool.

Perhaps Mr Atiyeh just wanted to save that particular area?

Then again, perhaps not.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ya play with fire...,

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been many years but I remember him trying to get Opal Creek protected. Atiyeh is a fairly well known name as his father, Vic, was gov (R) in the 70's. If he was active in the anti-logging movement since then pretty sure his name would have been used.

Carpe' Scrotum
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Steve
Been many years but I remember him trying to get Opal Creek protected. Atiyeh is a fairly well known name as his father, Vic, was gov (R) in the 70's. If he was active in the anti-logging movement since then pretty sure his name would have been used.

Don't know the guy. But apparently his name has been out there for quite a while.

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/david-seideman/showdown-at-opal-creek/

To George Atiyeh—a logger-turned-environmentalist from a prominent Oregon family—Opal Creek is a church, and his willingness to use every means necessary to protect it from cutting—including media manipulation, state and federal legislation, and endless legal maneuvers against the US Forest Service—made him a contemptible turncoat in the eyes of his hometown community of Mill City.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I guess he had seen something, that he thought, was more valuable than cheap 2 X 4's and plywood , may he RIP !

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Was it worth more than his life ?

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by jimy
I guess he had seen something, that he thought, was more valuable than cheap 2 X 4's and plywood , may he RIP !

I doubt if he saw it as his crematorium.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's too bad.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
If y’all listen close, you can hear the world’s smallest violin playing...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwall
Was it worth more than his life ?

Based on this quote:

To George Atiyeh—a logger-turned-environmentalist from a prominent Oregon family—Opal Creek is a church, and his willingness to use every means necessary to protect it from cutting—including media manipulation, state and federal legislation, and endless legal maneuvers against the US Forest Service—made him a contemptible turncoat in the eyes of his hometown community of Mill City.

I'd guess he'd probably think so.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Don't know the guy. But apparently his name has been out there for quite a while.

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/david-seideman/showdown-at-opal-creek/

I get that. But it is (was?) a gorgeous spot. Hell, I'm all for logging. Got relatives who lives up river from Mill City. Spent a summer as a teenager working up there when the mill in Idahna was going 24hrs a day. I have the utmost respect for loggers, mill workers, etc. Most of my oldest friends families were either working in the woods as loggers or forest service. I believe that what Clinton did with the spotted owl was criminal.

But some places shouldn't be logged and Opal creek was one of them.

Again this isn't because of lack of logging. Fires that move 30 miles in a day don't give a [bleep] about clear cuts or thinning. This was a once in a lifetime wind event when temps were high and humidity was low.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bristoe

I get that. But it is (was?) a gorgeous spot. Hell, I'm all for logging. Got relatives who lives up river from Mill City. Spent a summer as a teenager working up there when the mill in Idahna was going 24hrs a day. I have the utmost respect for loggers, mill workers, etc. Most of my oldest friends families were either working in the woods as loggers or forest service. I believe that what Clinton did with the spotted owl was criminal.

But some places shouldn't be logged and Opal creek was one of them.

Again this isn't because of lack of logging. Fires that move 30 miles in a day don't give a [bleep] about clear cuts or thinning. This was a once in a lifetime wind event when temps were high and humidity was low.

What do you know, you live in OR. No doubt, you personally allowed Kate to be elected. That Mayor of Potlandia too.

Your opinion is valued only slightly less than that of a Californio. No matter how well founded. wink wink

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad

What do you know, you live in OR. No doubt, you personally allowed Kate to be elected. That Mayor of Potlandia too.

Your opinion is valued only slightly less than that of a Californio. No matter how well founded. wink wink

You're a grandfathered in Oregonian, Geno.

Carpe' Scrotum
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I own 5 chainsaws and have cut tens of thousands of trees, yet there are places that are more valuable than the timber that they produce, there is no timber shortage in this country, actually we export timber.

As Americans we are lucky to have the natural treasures that we do have, just as we all own these treasures, we should all have a say in protecting them as well, this guy felt strongly about protecting this place, I will never see it but from the videos it does look pretty special , and I hope the regrowth is just as spectacular seed that they will grow from, and may those who love it, see it return to all of its glory !

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jimy
I own 5 chainsaws and have cut tens of thousands of trees, yet there are places that are more valuable than the timber that they produce, there is no timber shortage in this country, actually we export timber.

As Americans we are lucky to have the natural treasures that we do have, just as we all own these treasures, we should all have a say in protecting them as well, this guy felt strongly about protecting this place, I will never see it but from the videos it does look pretty special , and I hope the regrowth is just as spectacular seed that they will grow from, and may those who love it, see it return to all of its glory !

Really appreciate your viewpoint here jimy.

Folks don't realize how much wood goes out the mouth of the Columbia and others to places that are willing to pay for it.

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad

You're a grandfathered in Oregonian, Geno.

Thanks.

I never had an address there, just my wife. My mail was forwarded there for a few months a year.

And I do shop there often still...............for the "duty free" benefit.........but don't tell Gavin, I'll probably have to report my purchases

In it is contentment

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
An excellent example of irony.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (160user, 222ND, 2500HD, 2003and2013, 257 mag, 163bc, 60 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,789
Posts18,477,285
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.