Home
Posted By: johnw Boat Preferences? - 10/09/20
Been looking at boats since early spring, And I've arrived at some partial decisions.

The biggest decision was to go with Crestliner. I've heard the complaints, and seen the record of past failures. The new hulls and builds, at least the ones I'm looking at are wood free, and the transoms and hull welds are lifetime warrantied. That warranty extends to a second titled owner as well.

The decision I have left is to go with a 1650 Fish Hawk w/90 Merc, or the 1750 Fish Hawk w/115 Merc. Family finances are involved.

I can swing the 1650 FH with my own funds and not short anything or feel the urge to borrow. It is a side console with impressive space for a hull under 17'. The 1750 FH is more than I feel like I can swing, on my own, without strain or borrowing.

My wife is also excited about owning a boat, and she would prefer more space and seating, as well as a full walk-through windshield. I hate the looks and the lost deck space that a walk-through windshield brings. I feel like the entire front of the boat is pretty useless for any fishing purpose. But to offset the added cost of this boat my wife has offered to pony up the difference. And maybe the added space of the larger boat would offset the loss of deck space?

Opinions please...
Posted By: 16bore Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/09/20
I prefer someone else to own it. I’ve fueled and cleaned alotta boats in my day....
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/09/20
JMHO- if I live long enough to ever get a
different boat other than what I have, it'll
be from one of the Louisiana companies
such as Hankos or the like
They build lots of boats for oilfield work
and for commercial fishermen and crabbers
and some of the better most durable sport
fishing boats made ( should say ALUMINUM here)
They'll add whatever features you want if
it's something practical, or something
stupid if you have enough money
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/09/20
For me neither Crestliner or Mercury would make it very high on any list.

If I wanted a tin boat it would be a Lund or an Alumacraft with a Yamaha, Suzuki, or Honda. In no particular order.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/09/20
Originally Posted by 16bore
I prefer someone else to own it. I’ve fueled and cleaned alotta boats in my day....

+1
Posted By: SPQR70AD Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/09/20
Originally Posted by WYcoyote

If I wanted a tin boat it would be a Lund or an Alumacraft with a Yamaha, Suzuki, or Honda. In no particular order.

do you know that all mecurys under 40 HP are made in Japan?
Posted By: Morewood Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/09/20
One of the big reasons I bought my current fishing boat was for the full windshield with a walk-through. More than once on a cold morning I've patted myself on the back for that decision. I like being able to hunker down when motoring to the honey hole. And I don't like eating mosquitos on a summer night.

It all depends on what you want in a boat.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/09/20

Ah, the OPB approach. Always a good means of dealing with the hole in the water..
Posted By: BluMtn Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/09/20
Three tube pantoon fishing boat. If I ever felt the need to get in the water in a boat that would be what I would get. I try and limit my water travel to once or maybe twice a year to make the wife happy. Two years ago I went way outside my comfort zone and paddled a 14" rowboat 60 miles down the Montana Missouri river the last week of Nov. when the high of the day was 0 to 5 above and about -15 at night when we camped along side the river. we were breaking ice the last day to get to the pull out. .
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/09/20
Originally Posted by SPQR70AD

So are all Yamaha's, the best motors on the water.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/09/20

That was probably was a good decision to have someone else make them.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/09/20
Not sure what sort of water you plan on being in but I would choose the bigger boat and motor. I wouldn't want less than a 18.5'/115 hp combination.
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/09/20

I think this is a terrible time to get a good deal on a boat. If you can, I would wait a year or so.
Originally Posted by Whiptail

I think this is a terrible time to get a good deal on a boat. If you can, I would wait a year or so.

Oh he ain't gonna buy one, he has been starting boat threads every few months for years. 😁😁😁
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/09/20

LUND... this isn’t a more stable boat if you are on lakes.

Rivers - well that’s a different thing
Posted By: johnw Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/09/20
Originally Posted by mirage243

Oh he ain't gonna buy one, he has been starting boat threads every few months for years. 😁😁😁

Kinda true. But I will buy a boat...

Mirage, Please give your opinion on side console vs walk-through. Also though I can't imagine having even 6 POB, why do the 1650 and the 1750 Fish Hawks have the same limitation? The 1750 is a foot wider and nearly a foot longer...
Posted By: pal Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/09/20
Originally Posted by johnw
...Crestliner...1650 Fish Hawk w/90 Merc, or the 1750 Fish Hawk w/115 Merc...My wife is also excited about owning a boat, and she would prefer more space and seating, as well as a full walk-through windshield...

Listen to your wife. Go for the bigger boat, longer and wider.

But I definitely would not buy one brand new. Instead, look for someone's cream puff; save thousand$ and get a better boat. Have a pre-purchase inspection done by a qualified service.

Crestliner and Mercury are not the top of the line. You could likely do much better on the used boat. Great time to find a deal on something really nice.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/09/20
No flies on modern mercs. Yamaha being the “best” is very subjective.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/09/20
Buy once/cry once. Decide exactly what you want and buy the damned thing. Don’t get something you didn’t really want to save a few bucks.

I bought a new Lowe aluminum boat this year. It was expensive, but I have no regrets. It is what I wanted. The 4 stroke Mercury is great.
Originally Posted by Calvin

It's not subjective when you've worked on them for 30 years, I love Mercs, they make me a sheitload of money, Yamaha's not so much.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/09/20

All the commercial fisherman around here run Suzuki or Yamaha. Yamaha seems to be the preference, but Suzuki is cheaper and has a longer warranty.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/09/20
We bought a 1990 Sea Ray with a 1991 135-horse Merc in the spring of 2003 and it's been solid as a freekin rock, despite mistakes I made early on because of my ignorance. I've spent more replacing batteries every three or four years than any other expenses related to the boat. But then again, I know how to change an impeller.

I see NO downside to the walk-through configuration whatsoever.

I see a lot of wisdom in buying used, for sure---as long as you know what you're looking at when you see it. I'll bet I could get more for my boat right now than I paid for it in 2003.
Posted By: windridge Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/09/20

by Tohatsu
Posted By: johnw Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/09/20
Originally Posted by pal
...Crestliner...1650 Fish Hawk w/90 Merc, or the 1750 Fish Hawk w/115 Merc...My wife is also excited about owning a boat, and she would prefer more space and seating, as well as a full walk-through windshield...

Listen to your wife. Go for the bigger boat, longer and wider.

But I definitely would not buy one brand new. Instead, look for someone's cream puff; save thousand$ and get a better boat. Have a pre-purchase inspection done by a qualified service.

Crestliner and Mercury are not the top of the line. You could likely do much better on the used boat. Great time to find a deal on something really nice.

I've been looking for someone's used "cream puff" all summer long. Had 3 boats I was ready to write the check for. One was posted while I was at work, and I called to arrange seeing it on my way home. Sold before I got off.
One in minnesota I called about within 2 hours of it being posted. Gone before I called.
One in wisconsin was spectacular but the owner didn't want to show it til the virus crisis passed. He pulled the ad and may still own it for all I know, but he refused to meet long enough to sell it.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/09/20
I’ve seen some recent crestliners that seemed to be well built. I’ve been around boats all my life, my first job at 16 was working in my (now) wife’s grandfather’s boat and motor dealership. I recently asked one of the guides around here, “ Why would anybody buy an outboard other than Yamaha?” He just shook his head and said,”I don’t know.” That’s how I feel about outboards.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/09/20
Don’t know where you’re using it, or what you’re using it for, so I am unable to bring the weight of my considerable experience to bear.

P
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/09/20
Buy the boat you can afford. “My boat” is always better than “Our boat.”
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/09/20
I have been in 2 Lund boats. They were an 18 footers. V hull with bench seats They were the most unstable boat I have ever been in. If there were 8" waves they rocked so bad you couldn't stand up without holding on to something. A Flat bottom or semi-v the same size is much more stable. Might not cut waves as well. But I wouldn't have one of those Yankee V hull boats.
Posted By: TJAY Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
Buy the bigger one. Never heard anyone say I wish it was a foot shorter and a foot narrower.
Posted By: vapodog Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
18' Alumacraft with a walk thru windshield and 120 horse powerplant.....you pick it.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
Where are you going to use it and what for? It kinda makes a difference. The right boat could be a kayak or an aircraft carrier, or anything in between.
Posted By: johnw Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
Originally Posted by MOGC
Not sure what sort of water you plan on being in but I would choose the bigger boat and motor. I wouldn't want less than a 18.5'/115 hp combination.

Why the larger boat? There is always a bigger boat out there and "2 foot-itis is a well known malady. I have friends who regularly fish Lake Michigan and Chequamegon Bay with 17' boats. My buddy with a 2003 1750 Fish Hawk Tiller uses it from Rainy Lake to the North shore of Superior, and over to Erie.

My biggest decision now is Side Console or Walk-Through. And whether a somewhat larger boat would negate the disadvantages of the Walk-Through.
Posted By: pal Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
...I've been looking for someone's used "cream puff" all summer long...
One was posted while I was at work, and I called to arrange seeing it on my way home. Sold before I got off...

If you believe you can't...you're right!

John--you're going about it wrong if you are calling "to arrange seeing it on your way home". When you have finally found just what you've been looking for, you call and say "I'll take it." or "I want to buy your boat." Then you go see it and try to be the first one there with cash.

I have owned many boats up to 48'. If you buy new, you will lose thousands of dollars before you even get it home, When you actually get serious about buying a boat you will figure all this out.
Posted By: pal Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20

Why the larger boat?...

More stability, space and comfort. And to please your wife.
Originally Posted by vapodog
18' Alumacraft with a walk thru windshield and 120 horse powerplant.....you pick it.

I sat in a 17 1/2 ft Alumacraft Side Console today. The operators seat is not behind the wheel, but feels like it's offset towards center.

It was quite a bit cheaper than any Crestliner I looked at, but lacked storage, seating options and finished look on hatches and trim. Upright plastic cleats vs folding chromed. For the added price I'd cheerfully opt for the Crestliner.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
I'd be highly confident in either of those Mercury outboards. I absorb a lot of boating related content. It is very rare to find a complaint about any Merc from 75-150. They are stone cold reliable.

Boats are selling well now, so there won't be much room for negotiation. They also hold their value very well. It's not uncommon to see a 2-3 year old boat selling for more than what it sold for new.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
I expect lots of rigs to be available with the upcoming colder weather. Especially if loan payments are due on barely affordable toys and inability to use them. Boat dealers have had a banner sales year here and w fewer boats available, the end of model year and ability to high hat lots of buyers might play into choices. But I see you’ve got inside track on a couple different choices. Good and used is my path through the years. We bought a couple of really fine boats this way. Good luck w your buy and use it if your regional climate allows it. Great fishing to be had in cooler weather.
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Where are you going to use it and what for? It kinda makes a difference. The right boat could be a kayak or an aircraft carrier, or anything in between.

Primarily Pools 10, 12, and 13 on the Mississippi. Also the lower Wisconsin at appropriate water levels and the upper Rock and Koshkonong. But it will also vacation with us and see inshore use on the gulf coast, and lakes across the upper Midwest as opportunity arises.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20

For that a big lund with a hydrolic jack plate to life the engine for shallow running like we do on the Missouri River.

You DO NOT want a jon boat on the miss.
Posted By: powdr Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
The 1750 will make a nice boat. Just run a compression check on the Merc and you will be fine. No bass and ski for me. If you want a fishing boat...buy a fishing boat. The 16 will cramp you real quick. Their best boat is the 18footer w/a 115hp. I learned long ago...buy 2 feet more than you think you will need. powdr
Posted By: powdr Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
The 1750 will make a nice boat. Just run a compression check on the Merc and you will be fine. No bass and ski for me. If you want a fishing boat...buy a fishing boat. The 16 will cramp you real quick. Their best boat is the 18footer w/a 115hp. I learned long ago...buy 2 feet more than you think you will need. powdr
Originally Posted by pal
...I've been looking for someone's used "cream puff" all summer long...
One was posted while I was at work, and I called to arrange seeing it on my way home. Sold before I got off...

If you believe you can't...you're right!

John--you're going about it wrong if you are calling "to arrange seeing it on your way home". When you have finally found just what you've been looking for, you call and say "I'll take it." or "I want to buy your boat." Then you go see it and try to be the first one there with cash.

I have owned many boats up to 48'. If you buy new, you will lose thousands of dollars before you even get it home, When you actually get serious about buying a boat you will figure all this out.

The salient point being that I looked all summer and only saw 3 boats that I would consider. and only one of those within 4 hours of home. By mid June the used market had pretty well settled out to stuff I wouldn't take a second glance at.

And I believe I made an offer on one of the boats you posted pics of, but it was ignored...
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20

Ain't that the truth. lol
Originally Posted by powdr

Point taken, but the 1650 FH is 1" under 17' and the 1750 is IIRC 3" less than 18'. Both are fully welded hulls with reverse chine and very stiff construction. Lifetime warranty on hull integrity.

All boats and motors under current consideration are factory new on showroom floors.
Posted By: hunter4623 Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
You were looking for boats when everyone was using them. Give it a couple months and lots more will be available.
Posted By: windridge Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
Been looking at boats since early spring, And I've arrived at some partial decisions.

The biggest decision was to go with Crestliner. I've heard the complaints, and seen the record of past failures. The new hulls and builds, at least the ones I'm looking at are wood free, and the transoms and hull welds are lifetime warrantied. That warranty extends to a second titled owner as well.

The decision I have left is to go with a 1650 Fish Hawk w/90 Merc, or the 1750 Fish Hawk w/115 Merc. Family finances are involved.

I can swing the 1650 FH with my own funds and not short anything or feel the urge to borrow. It is a side console with impressive space for a hull under 17'. The 1750 FH is more than I feel like I can swing, on my own, without strain or borrowing.

My wife is also excited about owning a boat, and she would prefer more space and seating, as well as a full walk-through windshield. I hate the looks and the lost deck space that a walk-through windshield brings. I feel like the entire front of the boat is pretty useless for any fishing purpose. But to offset the added cost of this boat my wife has offered to pony up the difference. And maybe the added space of the larger boat would offset the loss of deck space?

Opinions please...

Get the biggest boat you can swing, so the case of two-foot-itis doesn't strike you next season. wink
Posted By: TheKid Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
Get the next size bigger motor than you think you’ll need. I’ve ridden in a lot of boats and I’ve owned my share, never once have I or anyone else said, “I wish this motor wasn’t so powerful”. Lots of times mine or someone I was with has been a little underpowered. Bro in law bought a brand new aluminum Ranger last year and saved a couple grand by going with the midsize motor instead of the big one. It works fine with two guys but has trouble getting on step with the whole family aboard.

A wise friend told me to always buy a boat 2 feet longer with 50 more horsepower than you think you need.
Posted By: windridge Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
Originally Posted by TheKid
Get the next size bigger motor than you think you’ll need. I’ve ridden in a lot of boats and I’ve owned my share, never once have I or anyone else said, “I wish this motor wasn’t so powerful”. Lots of times mine or someone I was with has been a little underpowered. Bro in law bought a brand new aluminum Ranger last year and saved a couple grand by going with the midsize motor instead of the big one. It works fine with two guys but has trouble getting on step with the whole family aboard.

A wise friend told me to always buy a boat 2 feet longer with 50 more horsepower than you think you need.

LOL...

Great Minds, etc. wink
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20

So are all Yamaha's, the best motors on the water.

Yamaha, and Mercery, in the 40 hp and lower class are all built by Tohatsu.

IIRC, from a while back when I was shopping, Suzuki is the only big name building their own 40 hp and less outboard. ETA: and Honda.

Interesting note from 2013: Honda started building Tohatsu branded OB motors from 60 HP through 250 HP.

Look for electronic fuel injection and electronic ignition.
Posted By: Osky Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
Bigger within reason generally works out best.
Just as important is knowing the package weight of your loaded trailerd new boat. For all the places you’ve mentioned taking it you want to make sure you have plenty of towing power or those will be long weary trips.

Osky
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
If I ever buy a fishing boat it is going to be one of these . . . Whaly Boats . . . different lengths, sizes and accessories . . . to fit every budget!

Posted By: tzone Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
You’ll probably learn to like the walkthrough for what it is. Especially if you fish spring or fall on the river.

I’m ordering one around Christmas and it will have a full windshield.

What do you feel is the best outboard? I’m flip-flopping between Yamaha and Suzuki. Either one would be a 175hp. Both are 4 cylinders. Merc ProXS 175 is a 6cyl.
Originally Posted by vapodog

I sat in a 17 1/2 ft Alumacraft Side Console today. The operators seat is not behind the wheel, but feels like it's offset towards center.

It was quite a bit cheaper than any Crestliner I looked at, but lacked storage, seating options and finished look on hatches and trim. Upright plastic cleats vs folding chromed. For the added price I'd cheerfully opt for the Crestliner.

Fisher a ton this year out of a crestliner 1750 FH. It was a side council. No issues I saw with it. It’s time for a new floor on it but you won’t have to worry about that with the new one. His has a 115hp Yamaha. Something you can’t do without a huge jump in cost on a crest liner these days. His is a 2003.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20

A 22' Sea Ark with a Yamaha. But my needs are different than most.

The vast majority of the village boats on the river systems are pushed with Yamahas. You do find the oddball Honda every now and then, but their shafts are smaller in diameter making lower units weaker compared to the Yamahas. They don't take as kindly to bumping into submerged logs as well as Yamahas do.
Posted By: Crappie_Killer Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
I typically have 3 boats parked at the house. One is on the water as I type gigging fish. I have owned 9 different boats and have made money on every one. Do your due diligence on them, I’ve bought all mine used. Take care of them and keep maintenance up and they don’t lose much value.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20

Opinions please...
Some thoughts...I can't know what your finances are, but bigger is always better unless you're in prison. Crestliner is a solid boat. I don't know why you'd think a walk through windshield leaves the front of the boat useless. It doesn't. The only thing that may be a negative is the fishfinder if it's mounted under the windshield. It may only be visible from the back. This can be remedied...the simplest way being to mount another depth finder up front. Otherwise, the walk-through windshield is the best. It is far superior to the little plastic jobs sticking up in front of you. This is especially true in cool weather. Both boats you're talking about will put out some fairly significant MPH. I would definitely get a walk-through.
Posted By: visalia6mm Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
Ranger reata 2050 with a Yamaha vmax sho 250hp

Only way to go.

Buy once cry once

Attached picture 139703.jpg
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20

Mirage, Please give your opinion on side console vs walk-through. Also though I can't imagine having even 6 POB, why do the 1650 and the 1750 Fish Hawks have the same limitation? The 1750 is a foot wider and nearly a foot longer...

I’d get the 1750 if for no other reason than to gain the extra foot in width. That extra width will be noticeably more stable. If your wife’s happy odds are you’ll be on the boat more.
As far as Crestliner and Mercury it’s obviously not a Lund and a Yamaha but in my experience depending on how you use it it won’t make much difference. I’m a guy that babies my gear. If you practice routine maintenance and aren’t out pushing it to it’s limits or using it in a professional capacity it’s going to be reliable and work just fine for the average guy.
Posted By: kelbro Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
Buy a used Boston Whaler and be done with it. Solid built. Minimum maintenance. Handles any water.
Posted By: hanco Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
I have a boat. Lots of work to keep one up. They don’t do well out in the weather, even if covered.
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
The best boat you'll ever have is the one your buddy owns.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
One of the many great things about my wife is that she can't ride in a boat because she gets sick. Dream girl.

No matter what boat you buy, you will have things you want different.
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
I love all the comments from those who don't actually use boats, it if they did only used them once a year and couldn't figure out why they needed all the maintenance and never ran. Lol.

I've owned several boats in the past of differing sizes and shapes. My current set up is a Fisher 19 pro avenger with the wall through windshield. This is an absolute must have if you fish any water that can get sporty. I live in western South Dakota where a storm can kick up fast, plus with all the wind there's usually a good chop. You couldn't give me a side console to use. My wife was like yours when we upgraded, she wanted bigger and to be protected. We've never regretted it a single day, and the bow is where my son and daughter prefer to fish. Often times we're trolling 6-10 lines on planer boards and the outside two rods on each side are held in the bow rod holders. I've got a pvc pipe mounted vertically on the other side of the windshield base where we can put a patio umbrella if we want when it's too sunny outside and we're on the water for a while. Works amazing. This winter I'll be tearing it down and rebuilding the floor, livewell drain and fixing the consoles in for a few sun cracks and repainting. Probably go through the wiring and get all the old crap out that was left by the original owner. Feel free to pm for any questions you might have and for pics to email or text. I'll be in Yankton paddlefishing this weekend with the boat but will have service.
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
I've had my 18' crestliner out in 6-8 footers. Wasn't fun but we still caught fish. Bow control is key when it gets squirrely.
Same here I’ve had my 18ft 9” Lund Alaskan 1800 side console - out in 6 foot waves or better - pretty hairy being on the water with 25-30mph winds.
As long as you can find a cove to park in, and travel with the boat at a 45 degree angle to the waves she rides a heck of a lot smoother than I thought it would.
I’m glad I had a good boat that could handle it - but I grew up on Lake Ontario & Erie... Having a good boat there is normally not a question.

Lund boats have a IPS hull - which really handles waves well, In my boat you can hardly feel a 2 ft wave... it’s almost hard to believe until you see it.

The IPS hull has what looks like an triangle on the sides so it cups or channels water on the sides vs. just rolling to the side like many boats.
In other words - she rides on rails... Super smooth & stable boat.

Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
I was looking hard at the Lowe fish and ski before I bought mine. I like the design and welded hull with 4 stroke motor, it was about as close to what I would have designed had I done a custom build. I would like to upgrade to a 4 stroke 150 instead of the two stroke I have but I use the kicker 90% of the time when I'm trolling and that is a four stroke so it'll do for now. When I had the custom cover made for mine I had them also make a flap that goes over the lower open hole of the walk through and that makes a huge difference when the air is brisk in the morning.

some notes on River features, especially if you are a catfish person
Plan on spending 3-5k on fish finders if you want a up to date setup... and it’s worth it.

1) if you can - Get a 36 volt trolling motor with GPS anchoring... I have a 24 volt system which works fine, but a 7mph or higher wind can test it...
If you are a bass guy and Ultrex is the way to go (also if you fish in icy conditions - the cables work when it’s frozen), otherwise a Terrova is good.

2). Make sure you can have a long anchor rope, if you catfish and anchor at the edge of a current you’ll need a blade anchor with a long rope, if you have a 20 ft boat most guys here get a rope drum like configuration so they can wind up that much rope.

3). Power tiller handles are great for rivers, a side console is hard to manuver around wing dikes, and logs... but a tiller model with a power handle on it for bigger motors makes it easy to put the boat exactly where you want it.
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

I’d get the 1750 if for no other reason than to gain the extra foot in width. That extra width will be noticeably more stable. If your wife’s happy odds are you’ll be on the boat more.
As far as Crestliner and Mercury it’s obviously not a Lund and a Yamaha but in my experience depending on how you use it it won’t make much difference. I’m a guy that babies my gear. If you practice routine maintenance and aren’t out pushing it to it’s limits or using it in a professional capacity it’s going to be reliable and work just fine for the average guy.

Lund doesn't come from the factory with Yamaha either. Both Lund and Crestliner are owned by Brunswick, who also owns Mercury. And of the 3 friends who own Crestliners, 2 were previously Lund owners. I do have a buddy at work who has owned both and still prefers Lund. If the cost were not exorbitant, and it could be completed promptly, I'd likely opt for the Yamaha motor. But more of my friends have Merc than Yamaha and are completely happy.

My budget for a boat is ~20K and I can get the 1650 FH for just about that. Maybe a bit more if I up power.
Wife has funds of her own, and we talked boats last night. She will likely never be on the boat in cooler weather. She would still like the larger boat but has decided that she can forego the walk through windshield. And she has agreed to pony up for the diff on a larger model. If it can be found at a reasonable price.
The 1750 FH with Walk-Through and 115hp is a new stock 2019 model and is a beautiful craft, barring that butt-ugly windshield. The price is attractive
Posted By: SPQR70AD Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
Originally Posted by hanco
I have a boat. Lots of work to keep one up. They don’t do well out in the weather, even if covered.

BOAT... B reak -O ut--A nother--T housand
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
guy i'm doing some carpet work for, in the house he's fixing to sell has a 31ft bertram express hull that he's refurbished and everything to finish the boat, two freshly rebuit 454 crusaders 500 hp each. he selling it since he's moveing up to the hill country.would make a nice prodject for someone who had the time to finish it.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
The Crestliner 14' works well for me. The 20hp Merc takes it across the lake at 20 per, and she trolls like a peach.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
guy i'm doing some carpet work for, in the house he's fixing to sell has a 31ft bertram express hull that he's refurbished and everything to finish the boat, two freshly rebuit 454 crusaders 500 hp each. he selling it since he's moveing up to the hill country.would make a nice prodject for someone who had the time to finish it.

In a lot of ways you're living the life I want...
Posted By: UNCCGrad Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
Can't speak for the boat itself but a 115 Yamaha is is great motor. 115 motors in general aren't powerhouses due to small displacement but they are great on fuel, especially the Yamaha. A buddy had a 20' Crestliner CC jon boat amd I don't know that he had any issues that weren't user induced. He is as hard on equipment as anyone I know.

I run some nasty waters on the Pamlico Sound in an 18' (18'9" actually) Maycraft fiberglass center console with 115 Yamaha. I can't imagine feeling safe or comfortable sitting down doing so. If I want to sit, thats what my leaning post is for. Get the biggest boat and motor you can afford, water shrinkage is real. If I could afford to replace mine I would sell it today, but to get anything larger I would have to spend at least $25k and that's buying used. I may be able to squeeze $12-14k out of mine in today's market so I'll keep what I have for a while.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20

Wife has funds of her own, and we talked boats last night. She will likely never be on the boat in cooler weather. She would still like the larger boat but has decided that she can forego the walk through windshield. And she has agreed to pony up for the diff on a larger model. If it can be found at a reasonable price.
The 1750 FH with Walk-Through and 115hp is a new stock 2019 model and is a beautiful craft, barring that butt-ugly windshield. The price is attractive

I don't know your wife but some tend to say things like that at purchase time, then it becomes an issue later. That walk-through windshield can be nice for the passenger even when the weather isn't stormy. It's 41 degrees here this morning on it's way up to 75-80, so a beautiful day. But running up the lake at 30 mph in 40 degrees with no wind protection could make momma less than comfy. I love my side console for general fishing but a walk-through is kinder to your passengers.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
Originally Posted by hanco

A boat is like any other vehicle. If you have a 30 year old junker and leave it out in the weather, you can.’to expect it to be trouble free. If you buy a nice boat and take care of it, there shouldn’t be a lot of maintenance.

Good point Greg - that’s why I got the alaskan it’s skinny enough for me to put in a garage...
Posted By: Calvin Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
Originally Posted by tzone

What do you feel is the best outboard? I’m flip-flopping between Yamaha and Suzuki. Either one would be a 175hp. Both are 4 cylinders. Merc ProXS 175 is a 6cyl.

Everyone makes good stuff. Go with the best price/warranty/service for your area. A private boater will probably never need to use the warranty though. I am pushing 900 hours on my current set. I think I had 1 warranty issue. Probably swap them out at 3k. Have a new spare too.

Break in is absolutely critical to longevity, as are 100hr service. We easily push 3-4K hours on a properly broke in engine. And we are pushing heavy boats in the swell. Usually the crankcase will corrode before we blow an engine.

The only engine I would steer clear of is the Yamaha 350.

The new merc 200 6 cyl are getting a good workout up here. The guys haven’t put on the high hours yet but the power to weight/ fuel economy is very impressive. Average charter boat here puts on 3-400 hours a year so it will be a few more years before we can see if they stand the test of time.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
Originally Posted by kelbro
Buy a used Boston Whaler and be done with it. Solid built. Minimum maintenance. Handles any water.

Best answer I’ve read. I’ve owned three of them. Great boats. Hasbeen
Posted By: SPQR70AD Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
I was working in south florida in const and on the weekends I worked with my friends company working on a bridge over the causeway. the tides were real strong and we worked on 2 barges with cranes welders etc. they had a 200 hp Merc on the back of the barge with 55 gal drum of fuel the motor opened up forcing the barge against the bridge piers and keeping them there when the tides came. they ran at least 8 hrs a day. Imagine the strain on them? I do not remember them having any issues for 6 months that I knew off
Posted By: exbiologist Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
Buying a boat was the best toy purchase we’ve ever made. Wife and I both love it. Our needs may be different than yours and I don’t know if you’ve mentioned kids or grand kids. So go bigger, more powerful and more protective, since it sounds like you’re in the upper Midwest, I can’t believe you wouldn’t see the benefit of the weather protection of a windscreen and an air dam door. High rails and lots of grab handles are a good thing too. Also consider aging people entering the boat. We struggle with mother in law getting in and out of our 18 foot sea ray bow rider. Will definitely consider some kind of transom door or side door or step on the next boat, which may soon be a 21 or so foot fish and ski.
Our boat is like our private beach club, we use it to socialize, drink, tube, fish, etc. Sounds like you’re more fishing focused than we are, but that’s still an important part of our boat time. I have 2 kids, 4 and almost 2, so my needs are maybe different than yours. It does sound like your wife wants to be a part of this so you might be missing out on one important feature (or not), but a swim deck is critical for us. We live to sit on it and play, but women need some way to pee if they aren’t getting all the way into the water. My wife can put her heels against the swim deck, hold onto the rail and air out her lady bits. My son also is more stable peeing off the swim deck than he would be standing on the bow. Plus it’s self cleaning for the little bit of slow piddle at the end. I use it too, but can clear the bow better than my 4 year old depending on company. I’m sure wifey could figure out how to work it on a flat backed boat somehow, glad it’s not my problem. She does not want a portapotty on board.
Bow riders and center consoles work well for us with little kids as there’s enough gunwhale to keep them aboard at speed and with a little rocking when trolling or stationary. We couldn’t have one of those flat decks you see on many fishing boats with just a couple inches to prevent the kids from spilling out.
I’m sorry you missed out on a boat this summer. We have been on a boat every single week since early spring this year. It’s been awesome for our family. I just winterized my boat this week, and that was maybe too soon if this nice weather holds.
Oh and I need a bimini on my boat. Really all the canvas. Need it for trailering and storage too. We also have a bow cover and the kids sometimes play under it.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: atvalaska Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
24' for me I did the 18 I did the 20 .....jackpot was 24.....your on two waves at time.... allweld custom rite down the river from u !
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
Originally Posted by tzone

Everyone makes good stuff. Go with the best price/warranty/service for your area. A private boater will probably never need to use the warranty though. I am pushing 900 hours on my current set. I think I had 1 warranty issue. Probably swap them out at 3k. Have a new spare too.

Break in is absolutely critical to longevity, as are 100hr service. We easily push 3-4K hours on a properly broke in engine. And we are pushing heavy boats in the swell. Usually the crankcase will corrode before we blow an engine.

The only engine I would steer clear of is the Yamaha 350.

The new merc 200 6 cyl are getting a good workout up here. The guys haven’t put on the high hours yet but the power to weight/ fuel economy is very impressive. Average charter boat here puts on 3-400 hours a year so it will be a few more years before we can see if they stand the test of time.

The new Merc 6 cyl and the v8’s get a lot of good reports around here too.

Just went out with a friend who repowered to 300 Zukes from Yamahas. The Yamahas had a lot of hours, over 3K, but quite a few problems as well. The Suzuki’s ran great and push his boat noticeably better. It is an additional 150HP over the 225’s he had.

Posted By: stxhunter Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
Originally Posted by stxhunter

In a lot of ways you're living the life I want...

said he'd take 17,500 for, the motors are worth more than that.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
31 Bert is a classic!

$17.5k sounds cheap, but the only thing more expensive than a cheap boat is a free one!
Posted By: Morewood Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
I like my Alumaweld but boats in general can surely be a PITA at times. Current pic:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Dixie_Rebel Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
#1 Perference - Large, buffet at the stern, balcony room, at least 7 days on board,,,,preferably more!

#2 Preference - my "friends" boat.
Posted By: ihookem Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20

Why the larger boat? There is always a bigger boat out there and "2 foot-itis is a well known malady. I have friends who regularly fish Lake Michigan and Chequamegon Bay with 17' boats. My buddy with a 2003 1750 Fish Hawk Tiller uses it from Rainy Lake to the North shore of Superior, and over to Erie.

My biggest decision now is Side Console or Walk-Through. And whether a somewhat larger boat would negate the disadvantages of the Walk-Through.

John it is funny you mention a bigger boat and where you fish. I live south of Fond Du Lac 20 miles. I was rising Little Bay De Noc yesterday and decided there is no way around it. I NEED a bigger boat!. As for those who dont know where Little Bay De Noc is, well, Lake Michigan has a bay called Green Bay. Little Bay De Noc is on the north end of green Bay. I was in the bay Of Little Bay De Noc to boot. It was a good south wind yesterday . These waves have from Green Bay to push north about 100 miles. I was doing ok but the waves got worse so I decided 3' waves are too much for an Alumacraft V16. As I turned around between swells , I didn't get turned around in time to ride the waves back. I took in some water and it was not too bad, only cause I am experienced at fishing Lake Winnebago. It took me by surprise and must admit I was nervous, and only had my 5 horse Merc. kicker to get back . I could let go of the handle . I caught a few northerns a a small walleye. Those bigger waters are something else. It is also amazing how the locals runs such small boats.

Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
My boat preference, at least one of them anyway.

Posted By: Valsdad Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
I haven't read the whole thread.

Please forgive if someones else already posted my idea of my preference in boats.

It just happens to be the one I'm invited aboard at the start of the trip, and the one I don't have to take home and worry about later. I'll help cover gas and cleanup the fish scales though.

If I was rich it might be this one:

[Linked Image from charterworld.com]

I'd be nice and invite some of y'all. No charge either, no need to help clean either.........we'd have "staff" for that.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/10/20
I have two of what I like best for my uses. I like to fish medium and big lakes, and I like to haul over the hill once in a while to fish salmon and do some crabbing. Neither boat is expensive, and they both work great. One is a 1991 vintage, and the other is 1999. I got the Pro Line to use on big N ID lakes, but I had to sell my house there soon after. The trip up and back and expense of two houses was eating my savings a bit too fast. I need to sell one, but I can't decide which one goes. The smaller 1991 20' tows and launches/recovers so easy. The 1999 22 1/2' has great room, is faster, but is more work to launch/recover.

The pair would sell for around $18,000.00 in today's market. Until Covid both got regular use.

Sure as hell the one I sell will be a peach for the new owner, and the one I keep will suddenly need major repairs. I guess I'll keep both. Someone...please help me with a REASON! eek

22 1/2'

20'
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/11/20
Anytime there's a boat thread I gotta eventually show a real boat. Me in the near lane a couple weeks ago.

Posted By: LeakyWaders Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/11/20
Right now I have two boats - a 2007 16' Hewes Redfisher (for flats fishing) bought new and a 16' Landau jon boat (for duck hunting, scouting and crabbing) that I traded around with my dad to get.

If this is the first time you buy a boat...ride in the one you want. See how wet the hull is and if it will do what you want it to do. Like how long it takes to get on plane (the hole shot) how shallow it will run if you're fishing flats, can you really stand on the poling platform? Does the trolling motor really hold or move you against the tide? How much are you reaching over stuff? How does the boat beat you up when you're balancing against the waves? How easy is the boat to load on the trailer? Can you caste without worry about hitting your wife on the back caste?

LOOK AT THE TRAILER! Get on your hands and knees and look at the fittings below the boards...are they rusted out? Look under the axle...is it solid or rusted through? You know those random board with carpet on them you see at boat ramps sometimes? Those are from rusted away fittings and loading boards giving way when a boat was loaded/unloaded.

Good Luck!
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/11/20
Just find a surplus Mark V.

It's 85 ft.and has twin cat engines with a nice set of shallow drives out back.

They have lots of room in front,back as well as a covered space in the middle.

Also it has state of the art wire drive systems on board.

I wished i had one. wink
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/11/20
Originally Posted by luv2safari
I have two of what I like best for my uses. I like to fish medium and big lakes, and I like to haul over the hill once in a while to fish salmon and do some crabbing. Neither boat is expensive, and they both work great. One is a 1991 vintage, and the other is 1999. I got the Pro Line to use on big N ID lakes, but I had to sell my house there soon after. The trip up and back and expense of two houses was eating my savings a bit too fast. I need to sell one, but I can't decide which one goes. The smaller 1991 20' tows and launches/recovers so easy. The 1999 22 1/2' has great room, is faster, but is more work to launch/recover.

The pair would sell for around $18,000.00 in today's market. Until Covid both got regular use.

Sure as hell the one I sell will be a peach for the new owner, and the one I keep will suddenly need major repairs. I guess I'll keep both. Someone...please help me with a REASON! eek

22 1/2'

20'

I need one of those with out a motor.?u could sell me one with out a motor at a decent price, I drive down and pick it up and we drink a bunch of beer and once I'm home ...every spring I take it fishing for butt ..I send u some.....
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/11/20
Some of you folks have some big, boats!
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/11/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Some of you folks have some big, boats!

Wabi,

the boat I actually have is 10'.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/11/20
I've owned big boats & small boats.

Big as in 34' with a 13' beam powered by twin 454's & small as in a 13' Whaler & several in between.

In a boat sized as described by the OP, to me, meaning something around 18-20', in my mind that boat should either say Lund or Whaler on the side..................pic your power. The new Merc's are really good as are the Yamaha's.

Those boats will handle all small lake needs as long as you have a decent launch site, & in good weather can handle reasonable big lake (as in Great Lakes) or near off shore & bay use in salt .

But they are both higher end boats for sure, but performance wise, you get what you pay for.

MM
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/11/20
Some of the best fishing I've had was in small lakes, you need a sky hook to get the boat in the lake. laugh
Posted By: windridge Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/11/20
Anytime there's a boat thread I gotta eventually show a real boat. Me in the near lane a couple weeks ago.

Trolling?

laugh cool
Posted By: windridge Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/11/20
Originally Posted by atvalaska

22 1/2'

20'

I need one of those with out a motor.?u could sell me one with out a motor at a decent price, I drive down and pick it up and we drink a bunch of beer and once I'm home ...every spring I take it fishing for butt ..I send u some.....

PM sent
Posted By: johnw Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/11/20
Put a deposit on a 1750 Walk-Through today. Have seven days to decide on it, and it won't be delivered for a couple of weeks.

Also looking at a 2019 model (new stock) of the same boat, at a dealer a bit closer to home. He has a somewhat lower price but the dealer I left the deposit with almost matched his price with a 2021 model. And with a couple of upgrades...

I'll give the guy with the 2019 model til monday to consider his price. They are almost alike except for color. The 2019 is red and I remember all the faded red lunds...
Love the pics, Exbio...

I've got some acquaintances with Sea-Rays, and I've always jonesed for one myself. The tin boat meets my needs better.

And I am the aging guy who may find adventure just getting on and off the thing... grin

But i've spent considerable time in this model boat, owned by friends. I'm convinced it's as stable as a tin boat can be. And every one I've looked at this week comes with a swim deck (step?) and ladder. Albeit the deck is only maybe 16x18 inches or so. I actually thought it might be w weak point, but it is warrantied forever, and does not even flex when I get on it with the boat trailered. Had 2 shop hands on the trailer tongue while i tried it... shocked
Posted By: jbmi Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/11/20
I've owned 4 boats over the past 50 years, 3 were Merc I/O's in 22' SeaRays or Four Winds. All had cuddy cabins for boat camping all over the Great Lakes and used in the fall for Salmon fishing on Lake Michigan.
Great boats but all required at least 1/2 ton pick-ups or bigger for towing. Boats up here are rated in hours vs. years. Most boats are stored at least 6 months a year, so a 10 year old boat may only have 5 years of wear on everything. Those 22''s were nice, roomy and could take some serious water if you got caught in a quick summer squall.
Got out of boating about 8 years ago, just could not justify the slip fee, winter prep, winter storage, then spring prep. Our last boat had a beautiful slip on Grand Traverse Bay, about a 5 minute trip from the house, we used the boat only 5 times the entire summer, our kids used it maybe another 5 times.
This spring the boating bug hit me again, but in a whole different way, no boat camping, no big pick-up truck, limited Lake Michigan fishing, and more inland lake fun with the grand kids. So I ended up with a very lightly used 17' Sylvan with a 50 Yamaha, first outboard I ever owned. And it could be pulled with my 4 cyl. Explorer or my kids Highlander, and Enclave.
That Yamaha can pull a tube, water skies, or wake board with no problem, pushes the boat about 25 mph and trolls slow enough for my salmon fishing. It's a walk-through windshield and the kids love sitting in the bow seats.
I did add an 8hp Merc. for trolling, as I didn't want the 50hp doing that for 6 hours a day.
So far I really enjoy the setup, and as long as I'm a fair weather fisherman, it can take anything Lake Michigan can through at me.
Buy one that fits your budget, your needs and your towing capacity. Then enjoy the heck out of it, you only go around once..
Posted By: goodshot Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/11/20
I have owned two Crestliners over the years. One was the FIshawk 1650 in a tiller w/60 ph tiller merc. Great fishing boat and easy to get in smaller lakes etc. I used it on Rainey and LOW with any issues. Sue you head. Up graded to a 1750 with side console and 115 ph Yamaha 4 stroke. Great boat would run mid forties with two guys and all the gear. I used to be the head of product design at st Croix rod co and took lots of writers out etc. that boat work well. I now own a alumacraft 185 competitor with a 150 Yamaha 4 stroke. Nice boat as well. I’ve been in most of them and it really comes down to which one you like the most. All that you are looking at are fine products. On 17’6” up get a 80 lb 24 volt trolling motor with spot lock. Buy good electrons with side finder and go’s etc. built in battery charger is a must. I learned long ago if a boat is rated for a 115, run a 115. Abets of luck to ya. If you wanna chat pm me happy to help.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/11/20
You asked for opinions....

Consoles on boats under 18' eat space - tiller is the way to go
If you cast a lot a walk through blows, side console is a must
Welded hull failure rates are a real consideration, look to riveted construction
Lund quality and resale is real - no other aluminum hull touches them
24v TM system is a must, 36v is more better if you can swing it
Spotlock TM is cool if you fish off shore, deeper structure a lot, if you pound shore line/weedlines/wing dams it is mostly wasted
Wouldn't sweat a Merc vs. Yamaha (currently have two ProXS four strokes (115 w/ a big tiller & 225 and a Yamaha F70))
Posted By: Sheister Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/11/20
Reading the responses reminds me of something I've learned over the years of owning boats- sometimes a guy has to own a few boats before he knows what he really wants....

My 2 cents' worth- a side console or tiller sounds great until you're in cold weather, or rain pouring down, or a wind coming from the front and everyone in the boat is getting soaked. If you're running the side console and staying dry and your wife is in the open getting wet, nobody is going to be happy by time you get back to the dock- trust me on this. The walk through windshield actually doesn't ruin the fishing room IMO as long as you don't have a top up in your way. Even then, if the top is folded down on top of the windshield it won't really interfere and you have almost all of the boat to navigate around in to fish. Then, on the ride out or the ride back you have the comfort of staying out of the weather- if it is pouring rain or blistering sunshine....

I've had several of different types, and the wider the boat the more stable it is plain and simple. Flat bottoms are rough riding on rough water and will beat you senseless in a long day- keep with the V bottom.

As far as motors, all I've owned are Merc's and I've had very little issue with any of them other than standard maintenance and repair issues. I've heard all the horror stories, but never experienced them. I've heard about as many stories about every other brand so it is a wash, but we use our boats hard out here on the Columbia river, bays, and ocean and it can be hard on all kinds of parts, hulls, motors, and equipment- so I take some of these stories with a grain of salt. Maintenance goes a long way toward having a good boat experience....

I've looked at the Lunds, Alumacraft, and Smokercraft and I think they are all good boats. I have a 19 foot Alumaweld Super Vee tiller and love it, but my next boat will have a windshield and a top. Got soaked once too often when the wind came up quickly and had a very wet drive to and back from fishing and also got a good sunburn a couple times.... not a good way to keep your significant other in a fishing mood...

Follow the advice given here in one area for sure- get the bigger boat. You will never regret it- guaranteed... even if you have to take out a small loan to get there....

One small PS- get a good trailer, get bearing buddies, and learn how to maintain them. More fishing trips have been ruined by trailer issues than boat issues in my experience. I've had it happen at least twice in the last five years because I just plain forgot to check my bearing buddies and I paid the price.... don't be a dumbass like me....

Bob
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/11/20
Originally Posted by Sheister
Reading the responses reminds me of something I've learned over the years of owning boats- sometimes a guy has to own a few boats before he knows what he really wants....

My 2 cents' worth- a side console or tiller sounds great until you're in cold weather, or rain pouring down, or a wind coming from the front and everyone in the boat is getting soaked. If you're running the side console and staying dry and your wife is in the open getting wet, nobody is going to be happy by time you get back to the dock- trust me on this. The walk through windshield actually doesn't ruin the fishing room IMO as long as you don't have a top up in your way. Even then, if the top is folded down on top of the windshield it won't really interfere and you have almost all of the boat to navigate around in to fish. Then, on the ride out or the ride back you have the comfort of staying out of the weather- if it is pouring rain or blistering sunshine....

I've had several of different types, and the wider the boat the more stable it is plain and simple. Flat bottoms are rough riding on rough water and will beat you senseless in a long day- keep with the V bottom.

As far as motors, all I've owned are Merc's and I've had very little issue with any of them other than standard maintenance and repair issues. I've heard all the horror stories, but never experienced them. I've heard about as many stories about every other brand so it is a wash, but we use our boats hard out here on the Columbia river, bays, and ocean and it can be hard on all kinds of parts, hulls, motors, and equipment- so I take some of these stories with a grain of salt. Maintenance goes a long way toward having a good boat experience....

I've looked at the Lunds, Alumacraft, and Smokercraft and I think they are all good boats. I have a 19 foot Alumaweld Super Vee tiller and love it, but my next boat will have a windshield and a top. Got soaked once too often when the wind came up quickly and had a very wet drive to and back from fishing and also got a good sunburn a couple times.... not a good way to keep your significant other in a fishing mood...

Follow the advice given here in one area for sure- get the bigger boat. You will never regret it- guaranteed... even if you have to take out a small loan to get there....

One small PS- get a good trailer, get bearing buddies, and learn how to maintain them. More fishing trips have been ruined by trailer issues than boat issues in my experience. I've had it happen at least twice in the last five years because I just plain forgot to check my bearing buddies and I paid the price.... don't be a dumbass like me....

Bob

This is a voice of lessons learned through experience, worth heeding.

I note he is from the PNW which is a lot rainier than other parts of the country, which increases the benefits of some kind of a cuddy, even if a button-on canvas variety.

But if you are in more tropical climates there's the sun to deal with. A decent cover against the sun like a cuddy or a bimini top will definitely improve the fishing experience. If you are trolling, they get much less in the way than if you are casting and grinding.
Posted By: pal Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/11/20
...[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]...

This is a very practical style for fishing.

My own boat is also a walk-around cuddy, a Mako 246 on an aluminum trailer. Power is 4-stroke Yamaha 250. Besides being able to fish all the way around, the cuddy provides protection from wind and spray, a place to lockup your fishing gear, a convertible dinette with 2 bunks, a galley, plus a head with shower. So, on a trip, you can campout in relative comfort, even in remote areas.

First photo is my boat. Others/link are same boat off net.

http://reelboating.com/forums/index...-mako-248-walkaround-yam-250-fourstroke/

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
As far as I'm concerned, the die is cast, for this boat. It will be a Walk-Through 1750 Fish Hawk. I do have 7 days to change my mind on the deposit, but have made my decision and will live (and fish) with it.

And I fully agree that the tiller boat is absolutely the best for most sporting purposes. But I've got one artificial shoulder and another shoulder that may be artificial before too long. I can run a tiller for an hour or two but it tires me.

And this boat will b e used more for family adventure than strictly for fishing. If it were just for my fishing purposes I would have gone with the 1650 and saved a bundle. Wife has offered to pay the difference from her funds. I'm good with that...

Thanks to all for the perspective and the experienced advice.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/11/20
Good luck and tight lines!
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/11/20
I think you've made a fine choice that will serve you well for many years. Congrats!
Posted By: Ejp1234 Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/11/20
Im cracking up at the dudes who say they fish in 6-8’ waves in their 18’ aluminum boats.... especially the guy in KS LMAO.... what body of water in KS gets 6-8’ waves lol!!

I think if you saw real 6-8’ waves while your in your 18’ boat, your shorts would be brown!

We think long and hard before going to the canyons in a 40’ in 6-8’s lol....
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/12/20
As far as I'm concerned, the die is cast, for this boat. It will be a Walk-Through 1750 Fish Hawk. I do have 7 days to change my mind on the deposit, but have made my decision and will live (and fish) with it.

And I fully agree that the tiller boat is absolutely the best for most sporting purposes. But I've got one artificial shoulder and another shoulder that may be artificial before too long. I can run a tiller for an hour or two but it tires me.

And this boat will b e used more for family adventure than strictly for fishing. If it were just for my fishing purposes I would have gone with the 1650 and saved a bundle. Wife has offered to pay the difference from her funds. I'm good with that...

I think you made a good choice.
Posted By: pal Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/12/20
I am reminded of something a client once told me after I had given him a tour of my 48' sportfish that had taken me years of effort to restore (this could apply to most of us boat owners of course). He had simply observed everything very seriously, nodding occasionally, and finally said: "A fool and his money are soon parted." smile
Posted By: Sheister Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/12/20

Excellent choice IMO... always get the most boat you can afford at the time that suits the most people you will fish with... What motor are you going with in the end? Any other add-ons you are contemplating with the boat? Fish finder, rod holders, etc?????

Bob
Posted By: johnw Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/12/20

Excellent choice IMO... always get the most boat you can afford at the time that suits the most people you will fish with... What motor are you going with in the end? Any other add-ons you are contemplating with the boat? Fish finder, rod holders, etc?????

Bob

MK Terrova and Humminbird for starters

Power will be the 115 Merc
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/12/20
All i need is a loan...

https://warriorboatsinc.com/classifieds/advert/2020-warrior-v208-dc-new/

Bob

MK Terrova and Humminbird for starters

Power will be the 115 Merc
I've got a Minn Kota and Humminbird on my boat.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
That's a nice boat Sam. I don't know what they run but it wouldn't surprise me if it was $50k...maybe significantly more.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/12/20
Originally Posted by pal
...[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]...

This is a very practical style for fishing.

My own boat is also a walk-around cuddy, a Mako 246 on an aluminum trailer. Power is 4-stroke Yamaha 250. Besides being able to fish all the way around, the cuddy provides protection from wind and spray, a place to lockup your fishing gear, a convertible dinette with 2 bunks, a galley, plus a head with shower. So, on a trip, you can campout in relative comfort, even in remote areas.

First photo is my boat. Others/link are same boat off net.

http://reelboating.com/forums/index...-mako-248-walkaround-yam-250-fourstroke/

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I really like WA or “Super Console” boats as well. Access and shelter.

A lot of boats out here have massive pilot houses and little decks. No thanks. Straight up center console? Where am I gonna nap?

Less than 20 or even 22’, a center console is fine. Any bigger, I like a place to store schit and get out of the weather. No matter how big, I’ll trade cabin space for 360 access and deck space.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/12/20
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
That's a nice boat Sam. I don't know what they run but it wouldn't surprise me if it was $50k...maybe significantly more.

Significantly more....350 Verado is gonna run close to $35k iteself
Posted By: tzone Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/12/20

Plan on $90k for that one Sammo
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Boat Preferences? - 10/12/20

SMART CHOICE!!

Enjoy your boat and we want Pics. wink
© 24hourcampfire