Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Originally Posted by luv2safari
I have two of what I like best for my uses. I like to fish medium and big lakes, and I like to haul over the hill once in a while to fish salmon and do some crabbing. Neither boat is expensive, and they both work great. One is a 1991 vintage, and the other is 1999. I got the Pro Line to use on big N ID lakes, but I had to sell my house there soon after. The trip up and back and expense of two houses was eating my savings a bit too fast. I need to sell one, but I can't decide which one goes. The smaller 1991 20' tows and launches/recovers so easy. The 1999 22 1/2' has great room, is faster, but is more work to launch/recover.

The pair would sell for around $18,000.00 in today's market. Until Covid both got regular use.

Sure as hell the one I sell will be a peach for the new owner, and the one I keep will suddenly need major repairs. I guess I'll keep both. Someone...please help me with a REASON! eek

22 1/2'
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

20'

I need one of those with out a motor.?u could sell me one with out a motor at a decent price, I drive down and pick it up and we drink a bunch of beer and once I'm home ...every spring I take it fishing for butt ..I send u some.....

PM sent

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
GB1

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Put a deposit on a 1750 Walk-Through today. Have seven days to decide on it, and it won't be delivered for a couple of weeks.

Also looking at a 2019 model (new stock) of the same boat, at a dealer a bit closer to home. He has a somewhat lower price but the dealer I left the deposit with almost matched his price with a 2021 model. And with a couple of upgrades...

I'll give the guy with the 2019 model til monday to consider his price. They are almost alike except for color. The 2019 is red and I remember all the faded red lunds...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Love the pics, Exbio...

I've got some acquaintances with Sea-Rays, and I've always jonesed for one myself. The tin boat meets my needs better.

And I am the aging guy who may find adventure just getting on and off the thing... grin

But i've spent considerable time in this model boat, owned by friends. I'm convinced it's as stable as a tin boat can be. And every one I've looked at this week comes with a swim deck (step?) and ladder. Albeit the deck is only maybe 16x18 inches or so. I actually thought it might be w weak point, but it is warrantied forever, and does not even flex when I get on it with the boat trailered. Had 2 shop hands on the trailer tongue while i tried it... shocked

"Chances Will Be Taken"

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I've owned 4 boats over the past 50 years, 3 were Merc I/O's in 22' SeaRays or Four Winds. All had cuddy cabins for boat camping all over the Great Lakes and used in the fall for Salmon fishing on Lake Michigan.
Great boats but all required at least 1/2 ton pick-ups or bigger for towing. Boats up here are rated in hours vs. years. Most boats are stored at least 6 months a year, so a 10 year old boat may only have 5 years of wear on everything. Those 22''s were nice, roomy and could take some serious water if you got caught in a quick summer squall.
Got out of boating about 8 years ago, just could not justify the slip fee, winter prep, winter storage, then spring prep. Our last boat had a beautiful slip on Grand Traverse Bay, about a 5 minute trip from the house, we used the boat only 5 times the entire summer, our kids used it maybe another 5 times.
This spring the boating bug hit me again, but in a whole different way, no boat camping, no big pick-up truck, limited Lake Michigan fishing, and more inland lake fun with the grand kids. So I ended up with a very lightly used 17' Sylvan with a 50 Yamaha, first outboard I ever owned. And it could be pulled with my 4 cyl. Explorer or my kids Highlander, and Enclave.
That Yamaha can pull a tube, water skies, or wake board with no problem, pushes the boat about 25 mph and trolls slow enough for my salmon fishing. It's a walk-through windshield and the kids love sitting in the bow seats.
I did add an 8hp Merc. for trolling, as I didn't want the 50hp doing that for 6 hours a day.
So far I really enjoy the setup, and as long as I'm a fair weather fisherman, it can take anything Lake Michigan can through at me.
Buy one that fits your budget, your needs and your towing capacity. Then enjoy the heck out of it, you only go around once..

"The older I get, the better I was"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have owned two Crestliners over the years. One was the FIshawk 1650 in a tiller w/60 ph tiller merc. Great fishing boat and easy to get in smaller lakes etc. I used it on Rainey and LOW with any issues. Sue you head. Up graded to a 1750 with side console and 115 ph Yamaha 4 stroke. Great boat would run mid forties with two guys and all the gear. I used to be the head of product design at st Croix rod co and took lots of writers out etc. that boat work well. I now own a alumacraft 185 competitor with a 150 Yamaha 4 stroke. Nice boat as well. I’ve been in most of them and it really comes down to which one you like the most. All that you are looking at are fine products. On 17’6” up get a 80 lb 24 volt trolling motor with spot lock. Buy good electrons with side finder and go’s etc. built in battery charger is a must. I learned long ago if a boat is rated for a 115, run a 115. Abets of luck to ya. If you wanna chat pm me happy to help.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You asked for opinions....

Consoles on boats under 18' eat space - tiller is the way to go
If you cast a lot a walk through blows, side console is a must
Welded hull failure rates are a real consideration, look to riveted construction
Lund quality and resale is real - no other aluminum hull touches them
24v TM system is a must, 36v is more better if you can swing it
Spotlock TM is cool if you fish off shore, deeper structure a lot, if you pound shore line/weedlines/wing dams it is mostly wasted
Wouldn't sweat a Merc vs. Yamaha (currently have two ProXS four strokes (115 w/ a big tiller & 225 and a Yamaha F70))

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Reading the responses reminds me of something I've learned over the years of owning boats- sometimes a guy has to own a few boats before he knows what he really wants....

My 2 cents' worth- a side console or tiller sounds great until you're in cold weather, or rain pouring down, or a wind coming from the front and everyone in the boat is getting soaked. If you're running the side console and staying dry and your wife is in the open getting wet, nobody is going to be happy by time you get back to the dock- trust me on this. The walk through windshield actually doesn't ruin the fishing room IMO as long as you don't have a top up in your way. Even then, if the top is folded down on top of the windshield it won't really interfere and you have almost all of the boat to navigate around in to fish. Then, on the ride out or the ride back you have the comfort of staying out of the weather- if it is pouring rain or blistering sunshine....

I've had several of different types, and the wider the boat the more stable it is plain and simple. Flat bottoms are rough riding on rough water and will beat you senseless in a long day- keep with the V bottom.

As far as motors, all I've owned are Merc's and I've had very little issue with any of them other than standard maintenance and repair issues. I've heard all the horror stories, but never experienced them. I've heard about as many stories about every other brand so it is a wash, but we use our boats hard out here on the Columbia river, bays, and ocean and it can be hard on all kinds of parts, hulls, motors, and equipment- so I take some of these stories with a grain of salt. Maintenance goes a long way toward having a good boat experience....

I've looked at the Lunds, Alumacraft, and Smokercraft and I think they are all good boats. I have a 19 foot Alumaweld Super Vee tiller and love it, but my next boat will have a windshield and a top. Got soaked once too often when the wind came up quickly and had a very wet drive to and back from fishing and also got a good sunburn a couple times.... not a good way to keep your significant other in a fishing mood...

Follow the advice given here in one area for sure- get the bigger boat. You will never regret it- guaranteed... even if you have to take out a small loan to get there....

One small PS- get a good trailer, get bearing buddies, and learn how to maintain them. More fishing trips have been ruined by trailer issues than boat issues in my experience. I've had it happen at least twice in the last five years because I just plain forgot to check my bearing buddies and I paid the price.... don't be a dumbass like me....

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 10/11/20.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Sheister
Reading the responses reminds me of something I've learned over the years of owning boats- sometimes a guy has to own a few boats before he knows what he really wants....

My 2 cents' worth- a side console or tiller sounds great until you're in cold weather, or rain pouring down, or a wind coming from the front and everyone in the boat is getting soaked. If you're running the side console and staying dry and your wife is in the open getting wet, nobody is going to be happy by time you get back to the dock- trust me on this. The walk through windshield actually doesn't ruin the fishing room IMO as long as you don't have a top up in your way. Even then, if the top is folded down on top of the windshield it won't really interfere and you have almost all of the boat to navigate around in to fish. Then, on the ride out or the ride back you have the comfort of staying out of the weather- if it is pouring rain or blistering sunshine....

I've had several of different types, and the wider the boat the more stable it is plain and simple. Flat bottoms are rough riding on rough water and will beat you senseless in a long day- keep with the V bottom.

As far as motors, all I've owned are Merc's and I've had very little issue with any of them other than standard maintenance and repair issues. I've heard all the horror stories, but never experienced them. I've heard about as many stories about every other brand so it is a wash, but we use our boats hard out here on the Columbia river, bays, and ocean and it can be hard on all kinds of parts, hulls, motors, and equipment- so I take some of these stories with a grain of salt. Maintenance goes a long way toward having a good boat experience....

I've looked at the Lunds, Alumacraft, and Smokercraft and I think they are all good boats. I have a 19 foot Alumaweld Super Vee tiller and love it, but my next boat will have a windshield and a top. Got soaked once too often when the wind came up quickly and had a very wet drive to and back from fishing and also got a good sunburn a couple times.... not a good way to keep your significant other in a fishing mood...

Follow the advice given here in one area for sure- get the bigger boat. You will never regret it- guaranteed... even if you have to take out a small loan to get there....

One small PS- get a good trailer, get bearing buddies, and learn how to maintain them. More fishing trips have been ruined by trailer issues than boat issues in my experience. I've had it happen at least twice in the last five years because I just plain forgot to check my bearing buddies and I paid the price.... don't be a dumbass like me....

Bob

This is a voice of lessons learned through experience, worth heeding.

I note he is from the PNW which is a lot rainier than other parts of the country, which increases the benefits of some kind of a cuddy, even if a button-on canvas variety.

But if you are in more tropical climates there's the sun to deal with. A decent cover against the sun like a cuddy or a bimini top will definitely improve the fishing experience. If you are trolling, they get much less in the way than if you are casting and grinding.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by luv2safari
...[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]...

This is a very practical style for fishing.

My own boat is also a walk-around cuddy, a Mako 246 on an aluminum trailer. Power is 4-stroke Yamaha 250. Besides being able to fish all the way around, the cuddy provides protection from wind and spray, a place to lockup your fishing gear, a convertible dinette with 2 bunks, a galley, plus a head with shower. So, on a trip, you can campout in relative comfort, even in remote areas.

First photo is my boat. Others/link are same boat off net.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

http://reelboating.com/forums/index...-mako-248-walkaround-yam-250-fourstroke/

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
As far as I'm concerned, the die is cast, for this boat. It will be a Walk-Through 1750 Fish Hawk. I do have 7 days to change my mind on the deposit, but have made my decision and will live (and fish) with it.

And I fully agree that the tiller boat is absolutely the best for most sporting purposes. But I've got one artificial shoulder and another shoulder that may be artificial before too long. I can run a tiller for an hour or two but it tires me.

And this boat will b e used more for family adventure than strictly for fishing. If it were just for my fishing purposes I would have gone with the 1650 and saved a bundle. Wife has offered to pay the difference from her funds. I'm good with that...

Thanks to all for the perspective and the experienced advice.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Good luck and tight lines!

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I think you've made a fine choice that will serve you well for many years. Congrats!

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Im cracking up at the dudes who say they fish in 6-8’ waves in their 18’ aluminum boats.... especially the guy in KS LMAO.... what body of water in KS gets 6-8’ waves lol!!

I think if you saw real 6-8’ waves while your in your 18’ boat, your shorts would be brown!

We think long and hard before going to the canyons in a 40’ in 6-8’s lol....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by johnw
As far as I'm concerned, the die is cast, for this boat. It will be a Walk-Through 1750 Fish Hawk. I do have 7 days to change my mind on the deposit, but have made my decision and will live (and fish) with it.

And I fully agree that the tiller boat is absolutely the best for most sporting purposes. But I've got one artificial shoulder and another shoulder that may be artificial before too long. I can run a tiller for an hour or two but it tires me.

And this boat will b e used more for family adventure than strictly for fishing. If it were just for my fishing purposes I would have gone with the 1650 and saved a bundle. Wife has offered to pay the difference from her funds. I'm good with that...

I think you made a good choice.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am reminded of something a client once told me after I had given him a tour of my 48' sportfish that had taken me years of effort to restore (this could apply to most of us boat owners of course). He had simply observed everything very seriously, nodding occasionally, and finally said: "A fool and his money are soon parted." smile

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Excellent choice IMO... always get the most boat you can afford at the time that suits the most people you will fish with... What motor are you going with in the end? Any other add-ons you are contemplating with the boat? Fish finder, rod holders, etc?????

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Excellent choice IMO... always get the most boat you can afford at the time that suits the most people you will fish with... What motor are you going with in the end? Any other add-ons you are contemplating with the boat? Fish finder, rod holders, etc?????

Bob

MK Terrova and Humminbird for starters

Power will be the 115 Merc

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Bob

MK Terrova and Humminbird for starters

Power will be the 115 Merc
I've got a Minn Kota and Humminbird on my boat.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SamOlson
That's a nice boat Sam. I don't know what they run but it wouldn't surprise me if it was $50k...maybe significantly more.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 51 invisible), 1,646 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,997
Posts18,520,367
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.