Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The 1750 will make a nice boat. Just run a compression check on the Merc and you will be fine. No bass and ski for me. If you want a fishing boat...buy a fishing boat. The 16 will cramp you real quick. Their best boat is the 18footer w/a 115hp. I learned long ago...buy 2 feet more than you think you will need. powdr

GB1

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by johnw
...I've been looking for someone's used "cream puff" all summer long...
One was posted while I was at work, and I called to arrange seeing it on my way home. Sold before I got off...

If you believe you can't...you're right!

John--you're going about it wrong if you are calling "to arrange seeing it on your way home". When you have finally found just what you've been looking for, you call and say "I'll take it." or "I want to buy your boat." Then you go see it and try to be the first one there with cash.

I have owned many boats up to 48'. If you buy new, you will lose thousands of dollars before you even get it home, When you actually get serious about buying a boat you will figure all this out.

The salient point being that I looked all summer and only saw 3 boats that I would consider. and only one of those within 4 hours of home. By mid June the used market had pretty well settled out to stuff I wouldn't take a second glance at.

And I believe I made an offer on one of the boats you posted pics of, but it was ignored...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 16bore
I prefer someone else to own it. I’ve fueled and cleaned alotta boats in my day....

Ain't that the truth. lol

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by powdr
The 1750 will make a nice boat. Just run a compression check on the Merc and you will be fine. No bass and ski for me. If you want a fishing boat...buy a fishing boat. The 16 will cramp you real quick. Their best boat is the 18footer w/a 115hp. I learned long ago...buy 2 feet more than you think you will need. powdr

Point taken, but the 1650 FH is 1" under 17' and the 1750 is IIRC 3" less than 18'. Both are fully welded hulls with reverse chine and very stiff construction. Lifetime warranty on hull integrity.

All boats and motors under current consideration are factory new on showroom floors.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
You were looking for boats when everyone was using them. Give it a couple months and lots more will be available.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Been looking at boats since early spring, And I've arrived at some partial decisions.

The biggest decision was to go with Crestliner. I've heard the complaints, and seen the record of past failures. The new hulls and builds, at least the ones I'm looking at are wood free, and the transoms and hull welds are lifetime warrantied. That warranty extends to a second titled owner as well.

The decision I have left is to go with a 1650 Fish Hawk w/90 Merc, or the 1750 Fish Hawk w/115 Merc. Family finances are involved.

I can swing the 1650 FH with my own funds and not short anything or feel the urge to borrow. It is a side console with impressive space for a hull under 17'. The 1750 FH is more than I feel like I can swing, on my own, without strain or borrowing.

My wife is also excited about owning a boat, and she would prefer more space and seating, as well as a full walk-through windshield. I hate the looks and the lost deck space that a walk-through windshield brings. I feel like the entire front of the boat is pretty useless for any fishing purpose. But to offset the added cost of this boat my wife has offered to pony up the difference. And maybe the added space of the larger boat would offset the loss of deck space?

Opinions please...

Get the biggest boat you can swing, so the case of two-foot-itis doesn't strike you next season. wink

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Get the next size bigger motor than you think you’ll need. I’ve ridden in a lot of boats and I’ve owned my share, never once have I or anyone else said, “I wish this motor wasn’t so powerful”. Lots of times mine or someone I was with has been a little underpowered. Bro in law bought a brand new aluminum Ranger last year and saved a couple grand by going with the midsize motor instead of the big one. It works fine with two guys but has trouble getting on step with the whole family aboard.

A wise friend told me to always buy a boat 2 feet longer with 50 more horsepower than you think you need.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by TheKid
Get the next size bigger motor than you think you’ll need. I’ve ridden in a lot of boats and I’ve owned my share, never once have I or anyone else said, “I wish this motor wasn’t so powerful”. Lots of times mine or someone I was with has been a little underpowered. Bro in law bought a brand new aluminum Ranger last year and saved a couple grand by going with the midsize motor instead of the big one. It works fine with two guys but has trouble getting on step with the whole family aboard.

A wise friend told me to always buy a boat 2 feet longer with 50 more horsepower than you think you need.

LOL...

Great Minds, etc. wink

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by mirage243
Originally Posted by SPQR70AD
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
For me neither Crestliner or Mercury would make it very high on any list.

If I wanted a tin boat it would be a Lund or an Alumacraft with a Yamaha, Suzuki, or Honda. In no particular order.

do you know that all mecurys under 40 HP are made in Japan?

So are all Yamaha's, the best motors on the water.

Yamaha, and Mercery, in the 40 hp and lower class are all built by Tohatsu.

IIRC, from a while back when I was shopping, Suzuki is the only big name building their own 40 hp and less outboard. ETA: and Honda.

Interesting note from 2013: Honda started building Tohatsu branded OB motors from 60 HP through 250 HP.

Look for electronic fuel injection and electronic ignition.

Last edited by Idaho_Shooter; 10/09/20.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Bigger within reason generally works out best.
Just as important is knowing the package weight of your loaded trailerd new boat. For all the places you’ve mentioned taking it you want to make sure you have plenty of towing power or those will be long weary trips.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I ever buy a fishing boat it is going to be one of these . . . Whaly Boats . . . different lengths, sizes and accessories . . . to fit every budget!

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
You’ll probably learn to like the walkthrough for what it is. Especially if you fish spring or fall on the river.

I’m ordering one around Christmas and it will have a full windshield.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Calvin
No flies on modern mercs. Yamaha being the “best” is very subjective.

What do you feel is the best outboard? I’m flip-flopping between Yamaha and Suzuki. Either one would be a 175hp. Both are 4 cylinders. Merc ProXS 175 is a 6cyl.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by vapodog
18' Alumacraft with a walk thru windshield and 120 horse powerplant.....you pick it.

I sat in a 17 1/2 ft Alumacraft Side Console today. The operators seat is not behind the wheel, but feels like it's offset towards center.

It was quite a bit cheaper than any Crestliner I looked at, but lacked storage, seating options and finished look on hatches and trim. Upright plastic cleats vs folding chromed. For the added price I'd cheerfully opt for the Crestliner.

Fisher a ton this year out of a crestliner 1750 FH. It was a side council. No issues I saw with it. It’s time for a new floor on it but you won’t have to worry about that with the new one. His has a 115hp Yamaha. Something you can’t do without a huge jump in cost on a crest liner these days. His is a 2003.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

A 22' Sea Ark with a Yamaha. But my needs are different than most.

Originally Posted by Calvin
No flies on modern mercs. Yamaha being the “best” is very subjective.

The vast majority of the village boats on the river systems are pushed with Yamahas. You do find the oddball Honda every now and then, but their shafts are smaller in diameter making lower units weaker compared to the Yamahas. They don't take as kindly to bumping into submerged logs as well as Yamahas do.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I typically have 3 boats parked at the house. One is on the water as I type gigging fish. I have owned 9 different boats and have made money on every one. Do your due diligence on them, I’ve bought all mine used. Take care of them and keep maintenance up and they don’t lose much value.

CK
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Been looking at boats since early spring, And I've arrived at some partial decisions.

The biggest decision was to go with Crestliner. I've heard the complaints, and seen the record of past failures. The new hulls and builds, at least the ones I'm looking at are wood free, and the transoms and hull welds are lifetime warrantied. That warranty extends to a second titled owner as well.

The decision I have left is to go with a 1650 Fish Hawk w/90 Merc, or the 1750 Fish Hawk w/115 Merc. Family finances are involved.

I can swing the 1650 FH with my own funds and not short anything or feel the urge to borrow. It is a side console with impressive space for a hull under 17'. The 1750 FH is more than I feel like I can swing, on my own, without strain or borrowing.

My wife is also excited about owning a boat, and she would prefer more space and seating, as well as a full walk-through windshield. I hate the looks and the lost deck space that a walk-through windshield brings. I feel like the entire front of the boat is pretty useless for any fishing purpose. But to offset the added cost of this boat my wife has offered to pony up the difference. And maybe the added space of the larger boat would offset the loss of deck space?

Opinions please...
Some thoughts...I can't know what your finances are, but bigger is always better unless you're in prison. Crestliner is a solid boat. I don't know why you'd think a walk through windshield leaves the front of the boat useless. It doesn't. The only thing that may be a negative is the fishfinder if it's mounted under the windshield. It may only be visible from the back. This can be remedied...the simplest way being to mount another depth finder up front. Otherwise, the walk-through windshield is the best. It is far superior to the little plastic jobs sticking up in front of you. This is especially true in cool weather. Both boats you're talking about will put out some fairly significant MPH. I would definitely get a walk-through.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ranger reata 2050 with a Yamaha vmax sho 250hp

Only way to go.

Buy once cry once

Attached Images
139703.jpg (11.33 KB, 236 downloads)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mirage243
Originally Posted by Whiptail

I think this is a terrible time to get a good deal on a boat. If you can, I would wait a year or so.

Oh he ain't gonna buy one, he has been starting boat threads every few months for years. 😁😁😁

Kinda true. But I will buy a boat...

Mirage, Please give your opinion on side console vs walk-through. Also though I can't imagine having even 6 POB, why do the 1650 and the 1750 Fish Hawks have the same limitation? The 1750 is a foot wider and nearly a foot longer...

I’d get the 1750 if for no other reason than to gain the extra foot in width. That extra width will be noticeably more stable. If your wife’s happy odds are you’ll be on the boat more.
As far as Crestliner and Mercury it’s obviously not a Lund and a Yamaha but in my experience depending on how you use it it won’t make much difference. I’m a guy that babies my gear. If you practice routine maintenance and aren’t out pushing it to it’s limits or using it in a professional capacity it’s going to be reliable and work just fine for the average guy.

Last edited by TheLastLemming76; 10/09/20.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Buy a used Boston Whaler and be done with it. Solid built. Minimum maintenance. Handles any water.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 67 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,446
Posts18,470,944
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.