Home
Posted By: wabigoon "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20
My older brother had a collage history book, by Clemet Wood. Wood talked about "Debtor Rule".

People voting that pay no taxes. We have it, and how!

What can be done?
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20
Only land owners should vote. No one else has a need in voting.
Posted By: Dess Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20
Stop automatic deductions from your paycheck. If you had to mail in your payment, you'd know how high your taxes really are.
Posted By: deflave Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20
You guys need to come to the realization that poor people that live in rentals are not the the problem.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20
I'll say some taxes, income seven out of ten years.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon
My older brother had a collage history book, by Clemet Wood. Wood talked about "Debtor Rule".

What can be done?

Let's dig a little deeper.

Paying no taxes means they own no property and have no job. Therefore, they have no risk on electoral outcomes and can concentrate on who will promise them the biggest piece of free cake..

Until they slip a ziploc bag over their head..

Or station them in a gulag.

Lol.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20
Originally Posted by mtnsnake

The first time most what are now West Virginians got to vote was to break away from Virginia. Only land owners got to vote in Virginia. Wheeling was the second largest city in Virginia and most citizens couldn't vote.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Paying no taxes means they own no property and have no job. Therefore, they have no risk on electoral outcomes and can concentrate on who will promise them the biggest piece of free cake..

Not accurate.

Better statement would be, not enough of a job to overcome the personal exemption.

P
Posted By: EdM Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20
Originally Posted by deflave
You guys need to come to the realization that poor people that live in rentals are not the the problem.

Bingo.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

Not accurate.

Better statement would be, not enough of a job to overcome the personal exemption.

P

If you understand that, then you should understand what I was saying.

Or, you want to get into Earned Income Credit, too?
Posted By: memtb Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20

^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^ memtb

Not accurate.

P

Yes I understand but maybe others might not. Broad and incorrect statements can be misleading.

P
Posted By: Heym06 Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20
Only landowners voting. Then the rest become serfs, ya thats worked throughout history! NOT!!
Posted By: Bristoe Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20

We agree on *that* much.

Trump won the election by a landslide. It's in the process of being stolen by the deep state.

People need to get that through their heads. 1962 was a long time ago. Let go of it.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20
Originally Posted by EdM

Bingo.

Haha!

I have more to fear from wealthy whites than poor whites.
Posted By: 16bore Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20
I disagree. Every American should vote. But only once in an election, only when they are living, and with proper voter ID.
Posted By: Oakster Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20
Originally Posted by 16bore
I disagree. Every American should vote. But only once in an election, only when they are living, and with proper voter ID.

And some sort of education on what each candidate will do when they are in office.

I think term limits are a more important, and more realistic beginning to a solution. The next is to change the attitude of voting for what is best for me, to voting for what is most in line with the constitution and the welfare of the country.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20

I don't think Communists should vote. I don't think Communists should be Americans.

America needs to have a big passenger ship docked at Key West. Anybody in America who proclaims to be a Communist, frog march them onto it, then send them to Cuba,...where they can live out their dreams without bothering the rest of us.

Not accurate.

P

Yes I understand but maybe others might not. Broad and incorrect statements can be misleading.

P

Nothing incorrect. Not being to overcome personal exemption is zero sum.

Same result.
We need to remember Wood wrote that book before WW2 was over.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Haha!

Yeah.

I'm pretty sure Jack Dorsey ain't living on the west side of Chicago.

LOL
I'll say some taxes, income seven out of ten years.

Corporations pay more taxes than you so their vote should count more.

Still sound like a fun idea?
Posted By: muleshoe Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20
Does a corporation vote?
Our corporation did not vote.
Posted By: victoro Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20
Everybody pays taxes. The problem is that about half of the people in our country pay those taxes with "free" government money.

Not accurate.

P

P

Same result.

Ain’t about the result, it’s about your statement. Some people who don’t pax federal or state taxes still pay into Medicare and Social Security. About 30% people who don’t pay federal or state taxes still work.

https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxvox/and-now-movie-fewer-americans-pay-no-federal-income-tax

P
Work, or not, spending other people's money is so easy.
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Does a corporation vote?

Shareholders do.

CEO's do.
Posted By: Raspy Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20

THIS!
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20
The government taking one persons money and giving to another involuntary should be made illegal by constitutional amendment. Otherwise it always ends the same way.
I'd like to know how it was ever determined that a person with no wife and no children pays more taxes.

All things being equal.
I'd like to know how it was ever determined that a person with no wife and no children pays more taxes.

All things being equal.

He’s got a ton more money. Wife and kids are expensive.

P
Posted By: El_CuCuy Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Does a corporation vote?

Nah, they just hire armies of lobbyists, and donate boatloads of cash to PACs and other entities; they’re virtually powerless...
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20
"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. These nations have progressed through this sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to selfishness; From selfishness to apathy; From apathy to dependence; From dependence back into bondage.”

This is attributed to some old dead guy but I actually came up with this.

Speaking of me, I am compassionate yet objective and clear headed. Only I should vote. There would never be any cheating since vote tallies will be easy to count and there would never be a tie or runoff. Since these qualities are part of my genetic makeup, when I die The Vote should be passed down to my oldest male heir. This system worked for millenia everywhere around the world, look at all the trouble that has ensued from changing it.
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20
EVERY consumer pays all the various taxes on consumer products such as fuel and transportation taxes, excise taxes, sales taxes, etc. Taxation isn't the essential element here. The politicians realize they can give free schit to more than half the population, while promising even more free stuff, and thus secure their re-election. That is one of the reasons the Greeks understood that democracy is the second-worst form of government, second only to complete chaos.

The government should not have any power beyond securing the rights of the citizens. That is the reason laid out for the existence of the every government in this nation.
Posted By: Raeford Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20

Not accurate.

P

P

Same result.

How about, those that cannot understand LD's statement shouldn't be voting?
Posted By: MM879 Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20
You need to study the effects of Maquiladora manufacturing. That story will tell you everything you need to know about
Debtor Rule" The end result will be depressed wages. Wages so low you will wish you were an Iowa Farmer.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20
Like it or not, it will never go back to the way it was 250 years ago. The cat is out of the bag and can't be put back.

No point in arguing could woulda shoulda.
Posted By: night_owl Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20

All things being equal.

He’s got a ton more money. Wife and kids are expensive.

P

Not in most cases across the USA - i.e, only if legally married / relatively well-off

Posted By: CBB15 Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20

So the banks holding the deed get the vote of a mortgagee?
Posted By: KFWA Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20
the government could offset alot of that by requiring a balanced budget amendment unless we are in a declared war
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20

What can be done?

What the hell could you get all that from a book full of picture collections? Was it newspaper clippings of the letters that spelled out the words?

All things being equal.

Because with no spouse or children they are a phoucking loser. Who cares if they get fleeced?
Originally Posted by EdM

Bingo.

Haha!

#metoo
Posted By: lvmiker Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20
Originally Posted by Bristoe

I don't think Communists should vote. I don't think Communists should be Americans.

America needs to have a big passenger ship docked at Key West. Anybody in America who proclaims to be a Communist, frog march them onto it, then send them to Cuba,...where they can live out their dreams without bothering the rest of us.

What are you going to do w/ the folks that don't proclaim to be communists? About 1/2 the country disagrees w/ you. Who gets to decide who and what makes up a communist? What should we do w/ the Constitution?

mike r
Posted By: las Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20
Originally Posted by Raspy

THIS!

As said above, there should also be a test for minimal understanding of the issues - "orange man bad" doesn't cut it.
Posted By: SPQR70AD Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20
main problem is women voting. cannot let women choose anything. when given the right to choose most become tattooed sperm banks drooling over rope head groids then end up with choco babies.
the first female on earth Eve was allowed to choose and the result was mankind was doomed forever
Posted By: lvmiker Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20
Originally Posted by SPQR70AD
main problem is women voting. cannot let women choose anything. when given the right to choose most become tattooed sperm banks drooling over rope head groids then end up with choco babies.
the first female on earth Eve was allowed to choose and the result was mankind was doomed forever

Sounds like the women in your life were attracted by your intellect.

mike r
Posted By: skeen Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20
There should be a means test for voting - some combination of real estate, income or assets. Government teat suckers shouldn't be eligible to vote.
Posted By: SPQR70AD Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

I have other physical attributes they like. I do not want to come home and play chess with a woman. to me women are for pleasure and house work. also it sounds like you raising a mulatto grandkid.
Posted By: 16bore Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20
Originally Posted by skeen
There should be a means test for voting - some combination of real estate, income or assets. Government teat suckers shouldn't be eligible to vote.

Wrong.
Posted By: AKduck Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20

Either you are a citizen....or not. Not all people on the teat are there for the free sh*t.
Originally Posted by AKduck

Either you are a citizen....or not. Not all people on the teat are there for the free sh*t.

True. But if they're on the teat they ought not be able to vote themselves more of that free sh*t. It's like letting your grade school age kids manage your checking account. If they want a say, get productive and reach the that benchmark.

Or else be content with what free sh*t they get.
I think government employees should lose the right to vote because there is too much potential for bias.

Same as the free cheese folk.
I think government employees should lose the right to vote because there is too much potential for bias.

I agree. Same as anyone with shidt colored eyes.

Your a little late. The theory is already in practice. The railroad tax exemption.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20

Cool, income or assets of 10 million or more get 10 votes
2,000,000 to 10 mil gets 5 votes
500 k - 2,000,000 2 votes
100k -500 k 1 votes
Everybody else is just an ignorant , freebie grabbing POS so no votes, no say and relegated to the new Alaska Gulag. Just as communist as the quote above.
Posted By: Bob_H_in_NH Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20

These threads are a riot! The same group that says we can't do away with electoral college (we really shouldn't!) because it was designed that way, are arguuing to change something as equally powerful: who can vote!

Everyone pays taxes in one way or another. Only landowners? What about all those city people with the high rent condos?

Just stupid!

Keep it simple, all USA citizens, of age of 18, can vote. ID required. Not a citizen, no vote.
Originally Posted by MM879

Your a little late. The theory is already in practice. The railroad tax exemption.

They don’t let railroad workers vote?
Originally Posted by MM879

They don’t let railroad workers vote?

The implication is a railroad vote is worth less than a fully represented voter. Politician’s will not work as hard for .7 of tax. Work with me...
Posted By: irfubar Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20

You are wise grasshopper..... wink
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

These threads are a riot! The same group that says we can't do away with electoral college (we really shouldn't!) because it was designed that way, are arguuing to change something as equally powerful: who can vote!

Everyone pays taxes in one way or another. Only landowners? What about all those city people with the high rent condos?

Just stupid!

Keep it simple, all USA citizens, of age of 18, can vote. ID required. Not a citizen, no vote.

What we would like to see is some way to move closer to what the writers of the constitution had in mind.

But those pesky amendments do get in the way.

mike r

I have other physical attributes they like. I do not want to come home and play chess with a woman. to me women are for pleasure and house work. also it sounds like you raising a mulatto grandkid.
You have my sympathy. You have never known a good woman as a friend and companion.

Woman was NOT placed on Earth to be your sperm spittoon and slave.

She was put here to be your MATE. Too bad you are not worthy of such.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

mike r

You have my sympathy. You have nevet known a good woman as a friend and companion.

Woman was
NOT placed on Earth to be your sperm spittoon and slave.

These quality women you speak of are few and far between these days.... the feminist kool-aid is addictive
I married one. Then raised two more. It is not hard.

Five grandaughters well on the way to becoming fine ladies.
Posted By: pal Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20

WTF is wrong with you? How about veterans who served and/or bled for their country?
Posted By: Gus Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20
Originally Posted by pal

WTF is wrong with you? How about veterans who served and/or bled for their country?

well, now that you've brought it up, i think the folks who were drafted to support johnson and his defense of the vietnam catholics, well they should be able to vote twice just to be fair.

i mean, involuntary servitude is needed to be addressed. and why not address the unfairness?

of course lot's of well-meaning patriots will disagree. but we did have a civil war once.
Posted By: Stophel Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20
Originally Posted by Heym06
Only landowners voting. Then the rest become serfs, ya thats worked throughout history! NOT!!

Exactly. You would simply end up with feudalism. Not a good thing. But apparently, the wealthy landowners here seem to want that.

I don't own land... I guess I shouldn't be allowed to vote. But hell, if I can't vote, I ain't payin' taxes to the elitist government, I ain't fighting wars for the elitist government, and I ain't abiding by any laws passed by the elitist government..... it's a situation that is not exactly conducive to civic pride and nationalism....
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20
1. U.S. citizen, ID required
2. Not a "ward of .gov"..........someone on an entitlement that isn't an earned entitlement (which isn't a true entitlement). I don't know all the little vs big programs, etc....but if a person is relying on a .gov program like food stamps, housing, etc, they shouldn't vote until they are free of that program.
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
2. Not a "ward of .gov"..........someone on an entitlement that isn't an earned entitlement (which isn't a true entitlement). I don't know all the little vs big programs, etc....but if a person is relying on a .gov program like food stamps, housing, etc, they shouldn't vote until they are free of that program.

This and as Flave says government workers... no bueno, conflict of interest

Don't forget teachers.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20

Don't forget teachers.

Yeah, those teachers.....ruining everything...
Posted By: kroo88 Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20
Originally Posted by irfubar

You are wise grasshopper..... wink

Should have happened a long time ago.

You could actually talk about the possibility back in the ‘80s and Reagan.
Posted By: jerrys Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/12/20
Someone ,mentioned corporations paying taxes, another hidden tax on the public. Sure corporations pay taxes but they treat it as a business expense, just like the payroll, light bill, property taxes, They are all expenses. Then they use their expenses to figure their profit margins. We. the people who use their goods and services actually pay their cooperate tax. Just another hidden tax on the public.
Originally Posted by jerrys
Someone ,mentioned corporations paying taxes, another hidden tax on the public. Sure corporations pay taxes but they treat it as a business expense, just like the payroll, light bill, property taxes, They are all expenses. Then they use their expenses to figure their profit margins. We. the people who use their goods and services actually pay their cooperate tax. Just another hidden tax on the public.

Corporations don't pay taxes.

Got it.
Posted By: SPQR70AD Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/13/20

mike r

You have my sympathy. You have never known a good woman as a friend and companion.

modern women choose to be tattooed sperm banks. women are good for about 6 months then they start to resent you. it is in their DNA that only way any guy including you can stay with a woman is to be pussy whipped and dominated by the woman and they still hate you
Eve was put here to be Adams mate. due to Eves choices she doomed mankind forever
Posted By: deflave Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/13/20

Don't forget teachers.

They sure as fugk ain’t helping.

LOL

mike r

You have my sympathy. You have nevet known a good woman as a friend and companion.

Woman was

These quality women you speak of are few and far between these days.... the feminist kool-aid is addictive

a guy like idaho shooter probably a good guy may have married a girl out of high school. his knowledge of women severely limited. I was never married worked in 12 different states and was with so many woman that I lost count years ago. nobody can understand women but I got a lot of experience from models rich women strippers etc
Posted By: lvmiker Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/13/20
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by pal

well, now that you've brought it up, i think the folks who were drafted to support johnson and his defense of the vietnam catholics, well they should be able to vote twice just to be fair.

i mean, involuntary servitude is needed to be addressed. and why not address the unfairness?

of course lot's of well-meaning patriots will disagree. but we did have a civil war once.

That is pretty deep thinking for someone who was drilled as deep as you by LBJ. What about the guys who volunteered during that time frame? Should combat vets get more or fewer votes than REMFs? Do those who received life changing physical injuries get a vote if they weren't drafted? Do you have a full time caretaker?

#wellmeaningpatriots

mike r
Posted By: lvmiker Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/13/20

mike r

Woman was

a guy like idaho shooter probably a good guy may have married a girl out of high school. his knowledge of women severely limited. I was never married worked in 12 different states and was with so many woman that I lost count years ago. nobody can understand women but I got a lot of experience from models rich women strippers etc

So you can't keep a job and have to pay for sex. Got it. Carry on with your bad self stud.

mike r
Posted By: Stophel Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/13/20

Don't forget teachers.

Perhaps you are not familiar with the recent Ky gubernatorial election.....
Well?

What do we have eligible voters whittled down to?

LOL
Posted By: gremcat Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/13/20
Probably about 0 if you throw out anyone consuming anything from subsidized industries.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/13/20
I thought about this thread and if you only allow property owners to vote most folks in the military couldn't vote.
Posted By: Ken_L Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/13/20
Originally Posted by EdM

Bingo.

This is very true. I drove through some very nice suburban neighborhoods in PA before the election and there were a lot of Biden signs. They outnumbered the Trump signs by a huge margin which really made my stomach turn.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/13/20
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
I thought about this thread and if you only allow property owners to vote most folks in the military couldn't vote.

They shouldn't get to vote anyhow because they work a government job......
Posted By: mathman Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/13/20

Bullshit.

There was a stretch of time when I owned no land but paid more in taxes than some landowners had in income.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/13/20
I'm like Trump, I use the tax laws to deduct what is legal from my income to lower our tax liability. Businesses have legitimate expenses that nullify income.
Posted By: 16bore Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/13/20
Citizenship
Voter ID

Tighten up the election process.

Period.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/13/20

Really? YGTBSM
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/13/20

Really? YGTBSM

Sarcasm....
Originally Posted by Ken_L
Originally Posted by EdM

Bingo.

This is very true. I drove through some very nice suburban neighborhoods in PA before the election and there were a lot of Biden signs. They outnumbered the Trump signs by a huge margin which really made my stomach turn.

I hope somalia harris puts tens of thousands of groids ghetto thugs in ASec Ape housing projects right in the middle of those very nice suburb homes. I want to see their sons beaten every day in school and their daughters impregnated at 13 by rope headed buckwheats
Posted By: El_CuCuy Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/13/20

Tired, old argument in favor of an aristocracy, the renter pays his landlord’s property taxes.
Posted By: BtailHunter Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/13/20
Originally Posted by El_CuCuy

Tired, old argument in favor of an aristocracy, the renter pays his landlord’s property taxes.

Even when the government tells the landlords that they can't kick out renters for not paying rent because of COVID?
Posted By: irfubar Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/13/20
Originally Posted by BtailHunter

Even when the government tells the landlords that they can't kick out renters for not paying rent because of COVID?

Ziiiing......well played and true
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/13/20

mike r

modern women choose to be tattooed sperm banks. women are good for about 6 months then they start to resent you. it is in their DNA that only way any guy including you can stay with a woman is to be pussy whipped and dominated by the woman and they still hate you
Eve was put here to be Adams mate. due to Eves choices she doomed mankind forever

The extreme level of ignorance demonstrated by this post, yet you are able to read, write, and even operate some form of internet access device. Just amazing!

The very definition of dichotomy.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/13/20
As I understand it, the original intent was to make sure that only people who had shown some relative stability were able to vote. They chose property ownership as the criteria for that.

The opposite side of that coin was that they knew what happened to previous democracies where "The Mob" (the general populace, not the Mafia) was allowed to vote and how easy it was to sway the common populace with personal greed and the emotion of the moment. Which gets back to the desire to only give the vote to people who would - hopefully - show a more long term and responsible point of view.

There really are people who shouldn't be allowed to vote because they are too stupid or too irresponsible. The problem lies in finding a reliable mechanism for determining who those people are.

JMO - I still like the idea of two levels of citizenship. Everyone of natural birth or naturalized citizenship is provided the full protection of law but only those who have shown some willingness to go above and beyond, who have shown some level of personal responsibility, would be allowed to vote and hold office. Given human nature the natural inclination of that is for the enfranchised to pass laws discriminating against the unenfranchised (or recently disenfranchised) so any tinkering with the current citizenship system would have to include hard and fast protections again that.

Bottom line is that a universal franchise is what eventually kills democracies or democratic republics. We have seen that historical fact played out since the 1930's at least.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/13/20

mike r

Woman was

Actually, I was 26 years old. My wife was 25 when I met her, and she had a five year old daughter. The two of them are the best thing that ever happened in my life, along with the two other kids that came along later.

Yes I knew a few "party girls" before I met my wife.

A wise man forms no emotional ties to that sort. You gotta sort a bit of chaff to find the wheat. But there are a lot of fine women out there for the men who can appreciate them.
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/13/20
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
As I understand it, the original intent was to make sure that only people who had shown some relative stability were able to vote. Also, since most tax revenue at the time came from property taxes*, they figured that only those people with skin in the game should be able to vote.

The opposite side of that coin was that they knew what happened to previous democracies where "The Mob" (the general populace, not the Mafia) was allowed to vote and how easy it was to sway the common populace with personal greed and the emotion of the moment. Which gets back to the desire to only give the vote to people who would - hopefully - show a more long term and responsible point of view.

There really are people who shouldn't be allowed to vote because they are too stupid or too irresponsible. The problem lies in finding a reliable mechanism for determining who those people are.

JMO - I still like the idea of two levels of citizenship. Everyone of natural birth or naturalized citizenship is provided the full protection of law but only those who have shown some willingness to go above and beyond, who have shown some level of personal responsibility, would be allowed to vote and hold office. Given human nature the natural inclination of that is for the enfranchised to pass laws discriminating against the unenfranchised (or recently disenfranchised) so any tinkering with the current citizenship system would have to include hard and fast protections again that.

Bottom line is that a universal franchise is what eventually kills democracies or democratic republics. We have seen that historical fact played out since the 1930's at least.

* there were other various taxes on goods and such

When the immigration law was changed in the 60's, there were zero "hard and fast protections" put into place. Just a lot of lies. So I say Fuuck 'em. This nation has been systematically transferred from those who built it to freeloaders, and the face continues to multiply yearly.
Posted By: El_CuCuy Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/13/20

Is the landlord in a forbearance period on his mortgage for the very reason you state? Exactly how should that affect who has the right to vote?

Yes, there is a housing crisis caused by the virus, no that doesn’t mean that a reductio ad absurdum argument should be used to justify an apartheid state.
Posted By: ironbender Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/13/20
Well?

What do we have eligible voters whittled down to?

LOL

About a dozen members here.
Posted By: ironbender Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/13/20

I’ll also add that a “proper voter ID” should have the persons picture.
Posted By: tzone Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/13/20
Originally Posted by EdM

Bingo.

Haha!

Me too without question
Posted By: tzone Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/13/20
Our corporation did not vote.

Only because it wasn’t big enough.
Posted By: northcountry Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/13/20

mtnsnake I have a question for you I.E.Should people not have a say when Gov't is taxing your pay check? I do agree with you when applying taxes against property only proper owners should be voting. A million property owners against 50 million none property owners is not fair. Just saying . Cheers NC
Single mothers definitely should not vote.
Posted By: BtailHunter Re: "Debtor Rule". - 11/13/20

Is the landlord in a forbearance period on his mortgage for the very reason you state? Exactly how should that affect who has the right to vote?

Yes, there is a housing crisis caused by the virus, no that doesn’t mean that a reductio ad absurdum argument should be used to justify an apartheid state.

I got it, you're a liberal, thanks.
© 24hourcampfire