Home
Posted By: 700LH Leupold has sold Redfield - 04/22/21
to Academy Sports.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...-academy-sports--outdoors-301268036.html

BEAVERTON, Ore., April 13, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Leupold & Stevens, Inc., provider of the world's most rugged, lightweight, and clear sport optics, is pleased to announce the sale of the Redfield brand to Academy Sports + Outdoors ("Academy") (NASDAQ: ASO).

"The sale of Redfield to Academy Sports + Outdoors is part of our continued strategic focus on the Leupold brand," said Bruce Pettet, President and Chief Executive Officer of Leupold & Stevens, Inc. "We will continue to produce the world's best performance optics for the elite outdoor athlete."

The sale includes the brand rights for the Redfield brand of sports optics. Academy will develop and sell quality sports optics exclusively for Academy Sports + Outdoors under the Redfield brand going forward. Leupold will continue to support the warranty obligations for any legacy purchases of Redfield optics.

Redfield will join Academy's portfolio of exclusive brands which already includes outdoor brands like Magellan Outdoors, Monarch, H2O Xpress, and Game Winner.
probably will just continue the slide downhill for Redfield.
Great, more Chinese house brands from Academy.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Leupold has sold Redfield - 04/22/21
Redfield is probably better than the Freedom line anyway
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Leupold has sold Redfield - 04/22/21
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Great, more Chinese house brands from Academy.

#WuvWuWongTime
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Leupold has sold Redfield - 04/22/21
Thanks for posting that. Just the other day I was looking at my circa 2011 Redfield Revolution by Leupold and wondering about the current status of Redfield. I don't see much Redfield stuff around compared to back then. Looks like Leupold wasn't getting the results they had hoped for with the Redfield acquisition.
Redfield always has been a loser with cheap crap!!
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Leupold has sold Redfield - 04/22/21
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

Guess again ...... The recent Revolutions are a very good value and trusted scope here. I'd buy more.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Leupold has sold Redfield - 04/22/21
My previously mentioned Redfield Revolution is the 4-12x 40mm version. Turns 10 years old this year; been on 3 different rifles and never had a problem. In that price range of scopes, I'd buy another one if I was in the market.
Bruce sounds like a homo.
Posted By: Plumdog Re: Leupold has sold Redfield - 04/22/21
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Yeah, where are these "Elite Outdoor Athletes" and what do they do with optics?
Posted By: JPro Re: Leupold has sold Redfield - 04/22/21
The Revolutions are great scopes for the money. Can't say much about the others. This probably doesn't bode well for Redfield quality going forward, but time will tell.
Posted By: wink_man Re: Leupold has sold Redfield - 04/22/21
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Guess again ...... The recent Revolutions are a very good value and trusted scope here. I'd buy more.

+1
Posted By: fburgtx Re: Leupold has sold Redfield - 04/22/21
“Hey, Joe Bob!! You get those “Redfield” labels printed up, so we can slap ‘em on these Chinese scopes over here????”
Originally Posted by wink_man

+1

+2
I didn't know Redfield had enough weight in its name to be worth buying these days. They were hot in the 80-90's, but then the industry blew up.
Didn't know Academy was into manufacturing....

Or is it just naming rights they bought?
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Leupold has sold Redfield - 04/22/21
Originally Posted by TnBigBore

+1

+2

+3
Posted By: EdM Re: Leupold has sold Redfield - 04/22/21
My son and I bought a handful of US made 3-9X Revolutions some years ago when North 40 Outfitters was clearing them out for $100. Excellent scope at twice that price.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Leupold has sold Redfield - 04/22/21
I bought a 3-9 when they first revived the brand. Found it to be pretty much as vague with regard the adjustments as VX-2s, and not as pretty. I’d take a friction-knob VX-1 over either. Price was the sole attraction, and now years later, Burris FFs cost about the same, no doubt due to being made in the Philippines, and are better.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I didn't know Redfield had enough weight in its name to be worth buying these days. They were hot in the 80-90's, but then the industry blew up.

Wrong.

Redfield didn't fail because "the industry blew up". They failed because chemicals from their manufacturing processes leaked into the soil and leached into the groundwater. The company folded because they could not afford the environmental remediation. After years of Clinton rule, they were likely feeling the pinch of off-shore competition. But it was the pollution issues that put them under.

https://extras.denverpost.com/news/news1231a.htm

http://www.redfieldsite.org/sitehistory.htm

+2

Also, original Redfield scopes were highly respected. The "Illuminator" line was pretty high tech in the 80s.
Posted By: Limapapa Re: Leupold has sold Redfield - 04/22/21
Originally Posted by Plumdog

I dont know about Bruce's sexual preferences, but dodging the word "hunter" by saying "elite outdoor athletes" is pure libtard political correctness. I dont think I'll be spending any more money on Leupold products.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Leupold has sold Redfield - 04/22/21
Originally Posted by Limapapa

I dont know about Bruce's sexual preferences, but dodging the word "hunter" by saying "elite outdoor athletes" is pure libtard political correctness. I dont think I'll be spending any more money on Leupold products.

Leupold makes more than rifle scopes for hunters
Posted By: fburgtx Re: Leupold has sold Redfield - 04/22/21
Originally Posted by Limapapa

“Elite outdoor athletes” are the guys that hunt with death metal playing in the background.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I bought a 3-9 when they first revived the brand. Found it to be pretty much as vague with regard the adjustments as VX-2s, and not as pretty. I’d take a friction-knob VX-1 over either. Price was the sole attraction, and now years later, Burris FFs cost about the same, no doubt due to being made in the Philippines, and are better.

I concede the Burris adjustments are more audible and precise, but I can't tell a bit of difference in the glass and the Redfield had longer and more forgiving eye relief. They seem to stay set once zeroed too.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
probably will just continue the slide downhill for Redfield.

That's what I'm guessing too, Sam. Shame
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by TnBigBore

+1

+2

+3

+ 4

Got two 2-7x that I love & would not trade.
Posted By: wytex Re: Leupold has sold Redfield - 04/22/21

Not even close there Sharpsman.
Redfield has just been a name since production ceased in Denver.

I thought that Leupold resurrected the Redfield name to have a lower cost line of scopes to take up additional catalog and shelf space. I expected Leupold to drop the Rifleman line of lower cost scopes, but they didn't. The Rifleman line always confused me, as the wholesale prices for the Rifleman and comparable VX-1 scopes were always within a few dollars of each other, so there was hardly any financial benefit for a dealer to buy the Rifleman line instead of the VX-1 line.

I don't know where the Redfield lines were intended to integrate with the existing Leupold lines, but the Revolution line seemed to have about the same optical quality as the Vx1 Leupolds.

I have 4 Redfield Revolutions and they seem to be decent scopes.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Leupold has sold Redfield - 04/22/21
So will Leupold still warranty the Redfield scopes?
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Redfield has just been a name since production ceased in Denver.

I thought that Leupold resurrected the Redfield name to have a lower cost line of scopes to take up additional catalog and shelf space. I expected Leupold to drop the Rifleman line of lower cost scopes, but they didn't. The Rifleman line always confused me, as the wholesale prices for the Rifleman and comparable VX-1 scopes were always within a few dollars of each other, so that was hardly any financial benefit for a dealer to buy the Rifleman line instead of the VX-1 line.

I don't know where the Redfield lines were intended to integrate with the existing Leupold lines, but the Revolution line seemed to have about the same optical quality as the Vx1 Leupolds.

I have 4 Redfield Revolutions and they seem to be decent scopes.

The physical specs of the Rifleman line and their Redfield Revolution siblings of the same magnification/objective were exactly the same. IOW 3-9x40 Rifleman and 3-9x40 Revolution were exactly the same in weight, dimension and spec.
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

Wrong.

Redfield didn't fail because "the industry blew up". They failed because chemicals from their manufacturing processes leaked into the soil and leached into the groundwater. The company folded because they could not afford the environmental remediation. After years of Clinton rule, they were likely feeling the pinch of off-shore competition. But it was the pollution issues that put them under.

https://extras.denverpost.com/news/news1231a.htm

http://www.redfieldsite.org/sitehistory.htm

I meant the industry blew up with competition since then. There used to be like 5 choices, leupold, weaver, bushnell, burris tasco, etc. Now there are too many scope companies to count. What does Redfield bring to the table? Most younger shooters have never heard of Redfield.
I have three Redfield scopes, the first one a 2 3/4 fixed power I bought in 1966. I still have all three, no problems.
Posted By: kingston Re: Leupold has sold Redfield - 04/22/21
After reducing Leupold's quality to the entry/midrange, it made no sense to have two entry/midrange lines.

Maybe Leupold will use the proceeds to purchase Tangent Theta.
Posted By: AML Re: Leupold has sold Redfield - 04/22/21
Maybe Academy will move the company to Denver and make something called a widefield.
Posted By: logger Re: Leupold has sold Redfield - 04/22/21
John Hill Redfield was born and raised in Douglas County, Oregon. He led an interesting life and was quite the inventor. The local museum has a display regarding his early life and then his development of the rotary drill and his move to Denver.
© 24hourcampfire