Home
Hopping he will sign this post haste..

Bill to Kill up to 90% of Idaho Wolves Heads to Governor

BOISE, Idaho (AP) — The Idaho House on Tuesday approved legislation allowing the state to hire private contractors and expand methods to kill wolves roaming Idaho.

Lawmakers voted 58-11 to send the agriculture industry-backed bill to Republican Gov. Brad Little. The fast-tracked bill that allows the use of night-vision equipment to kill wolves as well as hunting from snowmobiles and all-terrain vehicles, among other measures, passed the Senate last week.

Backers said changes to Idaho law could help cut the wolf population from about 1,500 to 150, alleviating wolf attacks on cattle, sheep and wildlife.

“We have areas of the state where the wolves are having a real detrimental impact on our wildlife,” said House Majority Leader Mike Moyle, one of the bill's sponsors. “They are hurting the herds, elk and deer. This allows the Wolf (Depredation) Control Board and others to control them, also, which we have not done in the past.”

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...-to-90-of-idaho-wolves-heads-to-governor
Almost unbelievable in today’s woke world.
Now if we could do the same for predators such as antifa & blm 🤔
I'd wager a goodly amount that there's far more than 1500 wolves in Idaho.
Is there a problem with allowing hunters to do the deed?
Originally Posted by SCOOTERBUM

Come on out and try, big talker! You can shoot, trap, just about year round, multiple tags, have at.

Recreational hunters will never even dent the population.
They killed a few just recreating in WI recently.
No, the things you mention will not take down 90% of the wolves.
Hunting from the air would make a dent, but the costs associated with doing that limit its use.
The one way you can get to numbers like that is poisoning. Wolves will adjust to all else.

Osky
Originally Posted by Osky
No, the things you mention will not take down 90% of the wolves.
Hunting from the air would make a dent, but the costs associated with doing that limit its use.
The one way you can get to numbers like that is poisoning. Wolves will adjust to all else.

Osky

Trap 2, give them the parvovirus and release them back to their packs.
There is a reason there was a bounty on wolves last century.
More states need to do this.
Originally Posted by Dutch

Come on out and try, big talker! You can shoot, trap, just about year round, multiple tags, have at.

Hell, if the problem was here in MI, I would be happily entertained with the prospect.

Thanks for your bash tho', Bigmouth.
Originally Posted by MPat70
Now if we could do the same for predators such as antifa & blm 🤔

I would Co sponsor that bill.
Compound 1080 time...

Same in AK. Wolves travel circuits. Even a dedicated trapper will only see them pass through an accessible area every couple of weeks or so. I've done quite a bit of calling and if they're in the area, they'll respond back with threats, but not approach close enough for a shot even at night. I've seen and crossed paths with several, I've only managed to get on the trigger on one. Trapping is also difficult due to their nature that they prefer to kill their own meat rather than pick over schitt that's already dead at a baited set. That's why we had and have to do aerial control. Plus they routinely travel where we humans can't generally go without flying or taking long sno-go trips.

For sure. Hunters and trappers can buy 15 tags a year and in most areas the season is year round. About the only restriction is that we can't shoot them at night. That's a state law, not a F&G regulation. Most hunters will never see one. You don't just run out and shoot you a wolf.

Correct. Almost impossible to achieve a 90% reduction in population, (ir)regardless of the totality of methods used.

Even @ 25% every year, there will be a steady-state equilibrium gained.
Wolves were only ever driven out and killed out by methods that won’t be utilized today. First was indiscriminate pest control...poison. The second was that we also happened to kill just about everything they could eat too. Neither of those are going to happen on a big scale now, so...
Originally Posted by Scotty

If the surrounding States and Canada do nothing about Wolves, then the effects will only be temporary.
Any Wolf cull should involve the entire Pacific Northwest or even a larger area.

Numbers are sketchy but I feel safe to say Wolves have killed 50% of Ungulates in my area. Also, they don't eat everything they kill, that's total BS. If there is any animal that we can live without, its Wolves.
Originally Posted by stevelyn

Same in AK. Wolves travel circuits. Even a dedicated trapper will only see them pass through an accessible area every couple of weeks or so. I've done quite a bit of calling and if they're in the area, they'll respond back with threats, but not approach close enough for a shot even at night. I've seen and crossed paths with several, I've only managed to get on the trigger on one. Trapping is also difficult due to their nature that they prefer to kill their own meat rather than pick over schitt that's already dead at a baited set. That's why we had and have to do aerial control. Plus they routinely travel where we humans can't generally go without flying or taking long sno-go trips.

A friend is one of Alaska's best trappers.
He and his neighbor were responsible for reducing Nelchina Basin's wolf population with trapping and a heavy dose of aerial shooting.
He send me a photo with 97 wolf hides tacked to his barn that they took that first season.
I have it enlarged and find it to very very, very impressive. 😁
Originally Posted by Salmonella

He and his neighbor were responsible for reducing Nelchina Basin's wolf population with trapping and a heavy dose of aerial shooting.
He send me a photo with 97 wolf hides tacked to his barn that they took that first season.

The aerial method results are understandable.
Would be interesting to know their methodology for their successful trapping .
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by Scotty

If the surrounding States and Canada do nothing about Wolves, then the effects will only be temporary.
Any Wolf cull should involve the entire Pacific Northwest or even a larger area.

Numbers are sketchy but I feel safe to say Wolves have killed 50% of Ungulates in my area. Also, they don't eat everything they kill, that's total BS. If there is any animal that we can live without, its Wolves.

Unchecked the wolves have devastated the northern MN deer herds. The moose suffered even worse. I think what many do not realize is wolves hunt hardest in the spring trying to get weight back on and also with pups to feed they hunt hard. Of course that’s when the fawns and moose calves are are dropping, neither of which is much more than a mouthful to a hungry pack.
Add to that bears and bobcats and the ungulate newborns stand a poor chance. In recent years the wolves here have gotten very good at killing young black bears as well. Wether catching them in the open or pulling them from dens the wolves have adjusted.

Osky
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by Salmonella

The aerial method results are understandable.
Would be interesting to know their methodology for their successful trapping .

With numbers like that I’d venture a guess that the ground work is primarily done with snares versus traps.
I could be wrong.

Osky
Originally Posted by ironbender

Correct. Almost impossible to achieve a 90% reduction in population, (ir)regardless of the totality of methods used.

So how did the settlers wipe them out 100 years ago? Poison?
Originally Posted by bbassi

Yep
Originally Posted by sherm_61

Yep

+1
Interesting.

So, I go back and read the entire article, and find what I suspect to be the crux of the problem;

"A primary change in the new law is the hiring of private contractors to kill wolves. The legislation includes increasing the amount of money the Idaho Department of Fish and Game sends to the Idaho Wolf Depredation Control board from $110,000 to $300,000. The board, created in 2014, is an agency within the governor’s office that manages state money it receives to kill wolves.

The Idaho Department of Fish and Game reported in February that the wolf population has been holding at about 1,500 the past two years. The numbers were derived by using remote cameras and other methods.

About 500 wolves have been killed in the state in each of the last two years by hunters, trappers and wolf-control measures carried out by state and federal authorities."
Cyanide might be a good answer
Interesting.

So, I go back and read the entire article, and find what I suspect to be the crux of the problem;

"A primary change in the new law is the hiring of private contractors to kill wolves. The legislation includes increasing the amount of money the Idaho Department of Fish and Game sends to the Idaho Wolf Depredation Control board from $110,000 to $300,000. The board, created in 2014, is an agency within the governor’s office that manages state money it receives to kill wolves.

The Idaho Department of Fish and Game reported in February that the wolf population has been holding at about 1,500 the past two years. The numbers were derived by using remote cameras and other methods.

About 500 wolves have been killed in the state in each of the last two years by hunters, trappers, and wolf-control measures carried out by state and federal authorities."

Do you recall the geniuses behind the gooberment forced reintroduction of wolves saying 360 wolves for the entire NW would be a good acceptable number?
Wolves spread.

Wait until they spread to the East Coast. Coyotes did.
Originally Posted by 700LH
Interesting.

About 500 wolves have been killed in the state in each of the last two years by hunters, trappers, and wolf-control measures carried out by state and federal authorities."

Do you recall the geniuses behind the gooberment forced reintroduction of wolves saying 360 wolves for the entire NW would be a good acceptable number?
Yep. They lied about it all from the very beginning.

More people in the woods, and none of them a tree hugger. Shooting, trapping, snaring, destroying dens, any kind of poison and method you can think of, parvo, prayer, baiting: if it could kill a wolf, it was used.

As mentioned, running the prey population down to less than 10% of current populations made things more localized.
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Wolves spread.

Wait until they spread to the East Coast. Coyotes did.

Idaho would be happy to send about 100 each to NYC, DC, Baltomore, Savanna, Ft Lauderdale, Scranton, etc.

The green wienie envirowackos claim that wolves feed upon the aberrant individuals from the herd. Such wolves would feast well on the East Coast US.

If the frick cares as long as they are dead! I wish they’d do the same in Michigan!!!!
Idaho better watch out or it’s going to trigger federal management of wolves.

This is not a executive/legislative situation to be messing around with.
Coyotes don't get the damnation they deserve by a long shot. Pure death on ground nesting birds. Turkey numbers have plummeted in areas where coyotes came in and nothing was done. I've seen that changed by illegal poisoning. Add to that the fawn kill in areas that are still adjusting to increasing numbers of these feral dogs. The area we hunt now in the Blue Ridge is easily diagnosed. Fawn season, just watch for hairy crap balls full of chewed bone. Not rabbit bone. Look for fawns later in the summer when you jump does. Not over half have any. Early muzzy season. Does with fawns. Maybe. I'd love to see a bounty on coyote ears. Unnatural predator east of the Mississippi. Need to die. Every one.
Wolves are the most prolific breeders of all the world's large predators. As proven in Alaska, to jump start ungulate recovery after wolves have decimated the herds to low levels, one needs an 80% or more reduction in the area's wolf population for 3-5 years running. 3 to 5 years later, wolves will again be at their previous level, once such culling is ended. I think it requires a 50% reduction every year to stabilize any particular wolf population, or pack, at whatever numbers determined.

That means (sans poison) arial hunting. "Helicopter gun ships", as the anti's like to call it, are best for recovery of the shot animals. Fixed wing has limitations in dense or rough country. Even professional trappers, using trapping methods (sans poison) only, cannot do this over large areas, especially if targeting a relatively small area if surrounding areas are still fully wolf-populated.
Good News!

Idahos Gov. Signed this bill, good for him.
Local lets distort the news TV channels and the green weinie bunny huggers are upset but oh well.

BOISE, Idaho — Idaho Gov. Brad Little signed a controversial bill Thursday that will allow the killing of most of the wolves in the state.

The bill allocates taxpayer money to pay private contractors to kill wolves, as well as expanding permission for hunters and trappers to kill the animals.

Senate Bill 1211 allows for up to 1,350 wolves to be killed, or about 90% of Idaho's wolf population.

https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/l...277-7e28dfee-c68d-4d07-b663-6d4714868ff4
Elk city news

ELK CITY ? Well, the wolves are at it again. Be sure to keep your children and pets close by.

Jayco👍
Wolves......”CHOOTEM !”
Wisconsin hunters killed 150 to 200 in 3 days , and last week I went to NW Wis. and it was still loaded with wolf sign. I only got 1 wolf on the cam last winter so they were not in the area but a pack no doubt moved in and likely were 4 different wolves according to the tracks. The truth is though, that the wolves had a very hard time this winter. I suspect more starved than were killed by hunters and trappers. I saw wolf poop that had very little hair in it and was more green than I have seen in a long time. This tells me they are eating grass. I have seen coyote poop in Deer season that was almost all green. I am sure they eat grass here and there, however, this tells me they are starving . Has anyone else ever seen that before?
There all over the place in one area around here,find the elk and the wolves are there..

Jayco 👍
Idaho trappers I know don't want this, fearing the feds could step back into regulating them under the ESA if the numbers are below a certain number.
With Biden and his gang of environmental lunatics in charge, that's the last thing you want.
Huggers, via the courts will hold this up for years.
Ya it's too bad,even as legal as killing wolves are now,there's a lot of SSS still going on or just the Shoot and shut up and leave 'em lay...

Jayco👍
The Left doesn't give a $hit about wildlife. They see wolves as a tool..... to rid public lands of hunters and ranchers.

The Left use wolves as a tool to eliminate/reduce elk, deer, moose, etcetera which in turn reduces/eliminates the number of hunters in the field.

Likewise the Left use wolves as a tool to increase livestock losses which in turn drives ranching off of public lands.
There was an interesting article in our local paper a while back about wolves and cattle. Seems that after cattle have been chased by wolves, they can't be herded by stock dogs. They'll chase the dogs instead of running from them. A fully trained dog can cost $5000 but 1 dog will replace 2 men on horses. They pay for themselves very fast. Ranchers are having to go back to hiring cowboys because of the wolves.
Are they going to make dogs a legal method of hunting wolves?
Rock Chuck:

Yes. Heard some similar comments on dog utility several years back. Dogs actually became a hindrance.

A coworker ran some trials here using stock from the Idaho side of the Snake with wolf experience and our local Hereford/Angus that had never seen/heard/smelled wolves. The design was a randomized pen arrangement with wolf pee dispensed upwind, recorded howls via a primo sound system, and some well trained German Sheperds racing down the alleyways. Our local stock gathered along the fences curious to see what all the excitement was about. The Idaho stock gathered mid-pen doing tail in defensive circles.

Pre-trial blood samples showed similar cortizol levels, and post trial samples revealed elevated cortizols (stress indicator) in the Idaho stock.

Another acquaintance GPS collared some cattle again in the Snake River Canyon, and his animated data showed several instances of cattle suddenly doing 3 or 4 mile midnight dashes to lower elevations. I've run similar gear on Oregon cattle and a nighttime move of a 100 yds or more is extremely rare. They typically make some small movements around mid-night that are most likely pee and poop breaks.

Many years back a Montana rancher with leases near Yellowstone gave a presentation at a Range Management conference in Spokane, Wa. When the big bears began coming out of the park, his cattle all gathered in the middle of about a 50 square mile leased allotment, and one could not get them to disperse. The following year the cattle broke out after a week and trailed about 25 miles back to HQ on their own. Year three, they herded them up and the cattle turned and beat the troops home. Yes, it's great if we have a few predators around. If one is a stock grower, and they're in your back yard though, it's a significant deal.

Lastly, two years back I expended 21 years worth of preference points for what I was hoping would be a chance at some Booner bulls in NE Oregon. Booked the best outfit for 6 days with their pre-hunt comments being I'd be done in 3. We did hear wolves early on, and it was 11 days into my 6-day hunt before I was able to push the safety off for a medium 6 by. Can't prove it, but I don't think the wolves were helping.
Coyotes don't get the damnation they deserve by a long shot.
This is true. I hope Idaho kills every wolf they’ve got. The coyotes are out of control in western Oregon. I kill a dozen a year on my place alone on average and the last month I’ve killed 5
© 24hourcampfire