O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by SCOOTERBUM
Is there a problem with allowing hunters to do the deed?

Come on out and try, big talker! You can shoot, trap, just about year round, multiple tags, have at.

Recreational hunters will never even dent the population.

Same in AK. Wolves travel circuits. Even a dedicated trapper will only see them pass through an accessible area every couple of weeks or so. I've done quite a bit of calling and if they're in the area, they'll respond back with threats, but not approach close enough for a shot even at night. I've seen and crossed paths with several, I've only managed to get on the trigger on one. Trapping is also difficult due to their nature that they prefer to kill their own meat rather than pick over schitt that's already dead at a baited set. That's why we had and have to do aerial control. Plus they routinely travel where we humans can't generally go without flying or taking long sno-go trips.

A friend is one of Alaska's best trappers.
He and his neighbor were responsible for reducing Nelchina Basin's wolf population with trapping and a heavy dose of aerial shooting.
He send me a photo with 97 wolf hides tacked to his barn that they took that first season.
I have it enlarged and find it to very very, very impressive. 😁

The aerial method results are understandable.
Would be interesting to know their methodology for their successful trapping .

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by Scotty
More states need to do this.

If the surrounding States and Canada do nothing about Wolves, then the effects will only be temporary.
Any Wolf cull should involve the entire Pacific Northwest or even a larger area.

Numbers are sketchy but I feel safe to say Wolves have killed 50% of Ungulates in my area. Also, they don't eat everything they kill, that's total BS. If there is any animal that we can live without, its Wolves.

Unchecked the wolves have devastated the northern MN deer herds. The moose suffered even worse. I think what many do not realize is wolves hunt hardest in the spring trying to get weight back on and also with pups to feed they hunt hard. Of course that’s when the fawns and moose calves are are dropping, neither of which is much more than a mouthful to a hungry pack.
Add to that bears and bobcats and the ungulate newborns stand a poor chance. In recent years the wolves here have gotten very good at killing young black bears as well. Wether catching them in the open or pulling them from dens the wolves have adjusted.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Originally Posted by stevelyn

Come on out and try, big talker! You can shoot, trap, just about year round, multiple tags, have at.

Same in AK. Wolves travel circuits. Even a dedicated trapper will only see them pass through an accessible area every couple of weeks or so. I've done quite a bit of calling and if they're in the area, they'll respond back with threats, but not approach close enough for a shot even at night. I've seen and crossed paths with several, I've only managed to get on the trigger on one. Trapping is also difficult due to their nature that they prefer to kill their own meat rather than pick over schitt that's already dead at a baited set. That's why we had and have to do aerial control. Plus they routinely travel where we humans can't generally go without flying or taking long sno-go trips.

A friend is one of Alaska's best trappers.
He and his neighbor were responsible for reducing Nelchina Basin's wolf population with trapping and a heavy dose of aerial shooting.
He send me a photo with 97 wolf hides tacked to his barn that they took that first season.
I have it enlarged and find it to very very, very impressive. 😁

The aerial method results are understandable.
Would be interesting to know their methodology for their successful trapping .

With numbers like that I’d venture a guess that the ground work is primarily done with snares versus traps.
I could be wrong.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ironbender

Correct. Almost impossible to achieve a 90% reduction in population, (ir)regardless of the totality of methods used.

Even @ 25% every year, there will be a steady-state equilibrium gained.

So how did the settlers wipe them out 100 years ago? Poison?

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bbassi

Correct. Almost impossible to achieve a 90% reduction in population, (ir)regardless of the totality of methods used.

Yep

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by sherm_61

Yep

+1

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Interesting.

So, I go back and read the entire article, and find what I suspect to be the crux of the problem;

"A primary change in the new law is the hiring of private contractors to kill wolves. The legislation includes increasing the amount of money the Idaho Department of Fish and Game sends to the Idaho Wolf Depredation Control board from $110,000 to $300,000. The board, created in 2014, is an agency within the governor’s office that manages state money it receives to kill wolves.

The Idaho Department of Fish and Game reported in February that the wolf population has been holding at about 1,500 the past two years. The numbers were derived by using remote cameras and other methods.

About 500 wolves have been killed in the state in each of the last two years by hunters, trappers and wolf-control measures carried out by state and federal authorities."

700LH Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Cyanide might be a good answer

700LH Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Interesting.

So, I go back and read the entire article, and find what I suspect to be the crux of the problem;

"A primary change in the new law is the hiring of private contractors to kill wolves. The legislation includes increasing the amount of money the Idaho Department of Fish and Game sends to the Idaho Wolf Depredation Control board from $110,000 to $300,000. The board, created in 2014, is an agency within the governor’s office that manages state money it receives to kill wolves.

The Idaho Department of Fish and Game reported in February that the wolf population has been holding at about 1,500 the past two years. The numbers were derived by using remote cameras and other methods.

About 500 wolves have been killed in the state in each of the last two years by hunters, trappers, and wolf-control measures carried out by state and federal authorities."

Do you recall the geniuses behind the gooberment forced reintroduction of wolves saying 360 wolves for the entire NW would be a good acceptable number?

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
Wolves spread.

Wait until they spread to the East Coast. Coyotes did.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 700LH
Interesting.

About 500 wolves have been killed in the state in each of the last two years by hunters, trappers, and wolf-control measures carried out by state and federal authorities."

Do you recall the geniuses behind the gooberment forced reintroduction of wolves saying 360 wolves for the entire NW would be a good acceptable number?
Yep. They lied about it all from the very beginning.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

More people in the woods, and none of them a tree hugger. Shooting, trapping, snaring, destroying dens, any kind of poison and method you can think of, parvo, prayer, baiting: if it could kill a wolf, it was used.

As mentioned, running the prey population down to less than 10% of current populations made things more localized.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Wolves spread.

Wait until they spread to the East Coast. Coyotes did.

Idaho would be happy to send about 100 each to NYC, DC, Baltomore, Savanna, Ft Lauderdale, Scranton, etc.

The green wienie envirowackos claim that wolves feed upon the aberrant individuals from the herd. Such wolves would feast well on the East Coast US.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

If the frick cares as long as they are dead! I wish they’d do the same in Michigan!!!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Idaho better watch out or it’s going to trigger federal management of wolves.

This is not a executive/legislative situation to be messing around with.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Coyotes don't get the damnation they deserve by a long shot. Pure death on ground nesting birds. Turkey numbers have plummeted in areas where coyotes came in and nothing was done. I've seen that changed by illegal poisoning. Add to that the fawn kill in areas that are still adjusting to increasing numbers of these feral dogs. The area we hunt now in the Blue Ridge is easily diagnosed. Fawn season, just watch for hairy crap balls full of chewed bone. Not rabbit bone. Look for fawns later in the summer when you jump does. Not over half have any. Early muzzy season. Does with fawns. Maybe. I'd love to see a bounty on coyote ears. Unnatural predator east of the Mississippi. Need to die. Every one.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Wolves are the most prolific breeders of all the world's large predators. As proven in Alaska, to jump start ungulate recovery after wolves have decimated the herds to low levels, one needs an 80% or more reduction in the area's wolf population for 3-5 years running. 3 to 5 years later, wolves will again be at their previous level, once such culling is ended. I think it requires a 50% reduction every year to stabilize any particular wolf population, or pack, at whatever numbers determined.

That means (sans poison) arial hunting. "Helicopter gun ships", as the anti's like to call it, are best for recovery of the shot animals. Fixed wing has limitations in dense or rough country. Even professional trappers, using trapping methods (sans poison) only, cannot do this over large areas, especially if targeting a relatively small area if surrounding areas are still fully wolf-populated.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

700LH Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good News!

Idahos Gov. Signed this bill, good for him.
Local lets distort the news TV channels and the green weinie bunny huggers are upset but oh well.

BOISE, Idaho — Idaho Gov. Brad Little signed a controversial bill Thursday that will allow the killing of most of the wolves in the state.

The bill allocates taxpayer money to pay private contractors to kill wolves, as well as expanding permission for hunters and trappers to kill the animals.

Senate Bill 1211 allows for up to 1,350 wolves to be killed, or about 90% of Idaho's wolf population.

https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/l...277-7e28dfee-c68d-4d07-b663-6d4714868ff4

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Elk city news

ELK CITY ? Well, the wolves are at it again. Be sure to keep your children and pets close by.

Jayco👍

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Wolves......”CHOOTEM !”

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 2,613 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,476
Posts18,471,546
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.