Home
Posted By: Slidellkid Teenager Insurance Question - 05/12/21
I have been insured by USAA for over 25 years. I recently purchased my 17 year old daughter a new Kia Forte with every safety feature known to mankind.

Our insurance prior to adding the new car and my daughter was 167 per month for my 2011 Ford Truck and our 2014 Pathfinder. Our new premium is now about 450 a month.

Has anyone found a good, reputable company to deal
with when it comes to adding a teen driver?

What are the best strategies for saving some money or best companies to get a quote from?

Thanks,

Dan
I don't think there is any way around taking it up the pooper...dry.
Farm Bureau.
Get her off of your policy and let her get her own.

That helped my situation some years back. Today ??
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
I have been insured by USAA for over 25 years. I recently purchased my 17 year old daughter a new Kia Forte with every safety feature known to mankind.

Our insurance prior to adding the new car and my daughter was 167 per month for my 2011 Ford Truck and our 2014 Pathfinder. Our new premium is now about 450 a month.

What are the best strategies for saving some money or best companies to get a quote from?

Thanks,

Dan

Your first mistake was adding her to your policy, you don’t have to. Any driver that lives in your home is covered, any driver you give permission to drive is also covered if they do not live in your home and do not have insurance, under your policy. My daughter has been driving for 6 years, rates never changed. They still don’t know. It’s why they always ask if you’d like to add a driver to the policy, don’t do it.

If they get in an accident, they’ll be covered but rates will change.

btdt. i use an independent broker. with 3 teenagers and 5 vehicles, i have paid out the ass over the years. 450 sounds ridiculous though. mine was around 300/mo at its highest. and that was with one of my teenage sons as primary driver on a new f250.
My USAA went up by 2k when my 1st son started driving and that was a 4 cylinder 1995 Jeep/liability only. When my 2nd son started driving it went up another 2k for another 4 cylinder 1994 Jeep/liability only. When my 1st turned 19, i made him get his own insurance and USAA dropped my premiums by $500 with no accidents or claims. Insurance is a racket and since USAA opened to everyone, they are just another company.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Teenager Insurance Question - 05/12/21

It's been a good many years ago but when our daughters first started driving I asked our insurance company how much our rates would increase with them on it. Their reply was, " the industry standard (at that time) for drivers below a certain age (25 yo, I believe) the rate was 1.4 times the adult rate for females and for males was 1.8 times the adult rate".

You need to insure under your wife or you and put her on as a rider! She be covered on all of your vehicles. My daughter is 21 fixing to finish college I have been carrying her since she was 16.
Originally Posted by Buck720
You need to insure under your wife or you and put her on as a rider! She be covered on all of your vehicles. My daughter is 21 fixing to finish college I have been carrying her since she was 16.

No
Posted By: hanco Re: Teenager Insurance Question - 05/12/21
My son’s liability was as much as full coverage for me and wifey.
It is a fact of life when teens are driving.

We went thru 2 and is was a shock at first.
Another thing most insurance companies require anyone that lives in your house and has a separate policy to have the same liability limits especially if you carry an umbrella policy.

And yeah teenage driver with less than three years driving?

That's a no lube anal situation.
It’s expensive, you need to keep her on your policy while you are financially responsible for her. In other words if she’s in a accident and gets sued it’s your nickel. When my son was on my policy I kept a million dollar umbrella policy on top of the auto. That liability continues until they are on their own, not when they hit 18.
Just ask your agent . If they won’t communicate then you need a new agent
I add cars to my policy. Not people.
What about the Ruckus, Travis? Full coverage I hope
It kinda seems reasonable considering she’s a new driver ? Plus you added coverage in that POS Kia!
25 years old and it might drop.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Teenager Insurance Question - 05/13/21
Go to an independent agency that can shop various carriers. Still won’t be cheap, but you should find a better rate.
Posted By: JimR Re: Teenager Insurance Question - 05/13/21
Many insurance carriers subscribe to a service offered by Lexis Nexis (sp?) and possibly other vendors, that monitor newly licensed drivers in households and the carrier then questions the named insured to determine whether there is an undisclosed driver. I would strongly suggest letting the carrier know if there is a licensed driver that needs to be added to the policy.

Does the child qualify for good student discounts? They can knock off about 20-25% of the premium. Most require a B average to get the discount.

There are three vehicles and three licensed drivers in your house hold.. The driver has to be listed on one of the vehicles. Doesn’t need to necessarily be the newest, most expensive vehicles however.

Talk to the agent and see what suggestions for they can provide.

An independent agent can shop the market for the best combination of coverage and cost. But my experience is that USAA is tough to beat, value wise.
Originally Posted by JimR
Many insurance carriers subscribe to a service offered by Lexis Nexis (sp?) and possibly other vendors, that monitor newly licensed drivers in households and the carrier then questions the named insured to determine whether there is an undisclosed driver. I would strongly suggest letting the carrier know if there is a licensed driver that needs to be added to the policy.

Does the child qualify for good student discounts? They can knock off about 20-25% of the premium. Most require a B average to get the discount.

There are three vehicles and three licensed drivers in your house hold.. The driver has to be listed on one of the vehicles. Doesn’t need to necessarily be the newest, most expensive vehicles however.

Talk to the agent and see what suggestions for they can provide.

Complete bullshit.
You give a 17 year old a new car and think things would stay the same? Insuring kids to drive costs big bucks.
Depending on your state, she has to be added as she has access to any vehicle in your fleet. The thing to do is rate her on YOUR truck. If you listed her on as the primary driver of the Kia, you're gonna pay.
I had a beater Camry for flogging on a 80 mile temporary commute. I rated my kids on that and saved a ton of money on insurance.
Not bullshit , my reply was based on many years in the insurance industry.
Originally Posted by SandBilly

Thanks,

Dan

Your first mistake was adding her to your policy, you don’t have to. Any driver that lives in your home is covered, any driver you give permission to drive is also covered if they do not live in your home and do not have insurance, under your policy. My daughter has been driving for 6 years, rates never changed. They still don’t know. It’s why they always ask if you’d like to add a driver to the policy, don’t do it.

This is a very bad idea. First just being a liar is not the way to live your life. Second, many states made it legal for then to flat out deny coverage if you did not disclose a person living with you.
Originally Posted by plainsman456
It is a fact of life when teens are driving.

We went thru 2 and is was a shock at first.

The old rule of thumb is to rate the highest rated driver (teens) for the highest rated vehicles on a family policy. Believe it or not, and many will refuse to, insurance companies lose money insuring young drivers, especially on family auto policies. They take them as an accommodation to keep the rest of the client's business.

People often try to hide young drivers on their insurance and don't tell the truth on applications or questions from the companies. When they do, the company can refuse coverage and cancel policies immediately. Be careful.

Also, I hate insurance companies, especially several of the ones I did work for.
Not bullshit , my reply was based on many years in the insurance industry.
. Mine too.
And JimR is absolutely correct. And sand Billy is one of the [bleep] who cause high rates for the rest of us.
Originally Posted by mjbgalt

Thanks,

Dan

This is a very bad idea. First just being a liar is not the way to live your life. Second, many states made it legal for then to flat out deny coverage if you did not disclose a person living with you.

Lol, you take that [bleep]. Not me
And JimR is absolutely correct. And sand Billy is one of the [bleep] who cause high rates for the rest of us.

How’s that? No accidents, ever. You stupid bitch. Lol
Posted By: 16bore Re: Teenager Insurance Question - 05/13/21
$2k/year.
Well we all learned that sand bully will lie to save a buck. I know whether i will ever trust him or sell to him. Rest of you make up your own minds
Lol what a piece of schit
Well we all learned that sand bully will lie to save a buck. I know whether i will ever trust him or sell to him. Rest of you make up your own minds

Lmao.

Whaaa!
LOL
Lol what a piece of schit

Don’t stroke out, bro
First...they have to spend on lexis nexus to guard against lying schit bags. They also end up in court arguing against schit bags who cause a fight after their lies are exposed. They also end up paying for stuff undisclosed drivers do in some cases.

Again thanks for letting us know who you really are.

Goodnight schit bag.
I’m all outta Twinkie’s, dipshit. Lmao
First...they have to spend on lexis nexus to guard against lying schit bags. They also end up in court arguing against schit bags who cause a fight after their lies are exposed. They also end up paying for stuff undisclosed drivers do in some cases.

Goodnight schit bag.

As a former claims adjuster let me tell you what drives prices up, you ignorant [bleep]. It’s bitch made pricks that claim fake injuries. So, [bleep] you, I haven’t driven [bleep] up with a driver that hasn’t even ever had a ticket. Stupid azzwhole. Lmao

Holy Schidt!

I guess Twinkies make fools delusional. What you don't know about insurance is about everything there is to know about insurance.

Goodnight schit bag.

As a former claims adjuster let me tell you what drives prices up, you ignorant [bleep]. It’s bitch made pricks that claim fake injuries. So, [bleep] you, I haven’t driven [bleep] up with a driver that hasn’t even ever had a ticket. Stupid azzwhole. Lmao

Lexis nexus?

Lmao
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Holy Schidt!

I guess Twinkies make fools delusional. What you don't know about insurance is about everything there is to know about insurance.

Lol, enlighten me pops. Careful not to roll off your porch as you’re typing.
Originally Posted by BobBrown

Nah.

Can’t kill it and nobody pulls you over.
Originally Posted by deflave

Nah.

Can’t kill it and nobody pulls you over.

Better be using hand turn signals
I could eat a Twinkie the size of a loaf of bread right now.

Holy Schidt!

I just did, twerp, and I'm shooting gophers in my bottom field from my front porch. Come join me. I have plenty of ammo.
wink

Holy Schidt!

I just did, twerp, and I'm shooting gophers in my bottom field from my front porch. Come join me. I have plenty of ammo.
wink

Oh, I thought you were gonna throw some laws at me, not just BS.

Oh well. Lol
I have a buddy that just went through this. He had a sit down with his agent to understand what drives the costs. Apparently, one of the driving factors of price is how long you have owned the vehicle (not the age of the vehicle), but how long you have had that vehicle. Actuarial tables apparently show that the longer you've owned a vehicle without an incident, the less likely you are to have an incident. So getting your kid a new car, regardless of cost is not a good idea. You're better off to give them one of your other cars. Mine will be getting a 2008 4runner.

Maybe someone who's actually in insurance can shed some light. The problem with insurance agents is it's their job to convince you to buy the most expensive insurance they can sell you. There's no financial incentive for them to sell you something cheaper. Have you noticed if you shop your longtime insurance provider against someone else and threaten to leave them, they miraculously find some way to lower your rate so you'll stay?

Holy Schidt!

wink

Oh well. Lol

BS is what you understand, so why waste typing on things you don't?

I just irrigated, and the gophers are popping up like a whack-a-mole game.
Originally Posted by gsganzer
I have a buddy that just went through this. He had a sit down with his agent to understand what drives the costs. Apparently, one of the driving factors of price is how long you have owned the vehicle (not the age of the vehicle), but how long you have had that vehicle. Actuarial tables apparently show that the longer you've owned a vehicle without an incident, the less likely you are to have an incident. So getting your kid a new car, regardless of cost is not a good idea.

Maybe someone who's actually in insurance can shed some light. The problem with insurance agents is it's their job to convince you to buy the most expensive insurance they can sell you. There's no financial incentive for them to sell you something cheaper. Have you noticed if you shop your longtime insurance provider against someone else and threaten to leave them, they miraculously find some way to lower your rate so you'll stay?

Most agent’s don’t have the slightest clue how premiums work.
13 years in the business at this point. And not so when it comes to threats to leave. If you are honest and put in the correct info then the rate is what it is.

Only way to miraculously find "discounts" on the fly is to lie or adjust something you earlier did wrong.

Have told many clients that their rate is their rate, based on the situation they are in. It's not arbitrary...that's the point.

And if I were to sell you the most expensive i could...you would not buy it or you would leave immediately. So that would be pretty stupid of me to intentionally not try to compete
I have a buddy that just went through this. He had a sit down with his agent to understand what drives the costs. Apparently, one of the driving factors of price is how long you have owned the vehicle (not the age of the vehicle), but how long you have had that vehicle. Actuarial tables apparently show that the longer you've owned a vehicle without an incident, the less likely you are to have an incident. So getting your kid a new car, regardless of cost is not a good idea.

Most agent’s don’t have the slightest clue how premiums work.

BINGO! You got that one 100% correct. They are taught how to sell product. Score one for SB.

Holy Schidt!

wink

Oh well. Lol

Lmao, you told me I didn’t have a clue, waiting on that education you’re gonna give me. Lmfao. Loudmouth [bleep].

Keep talking out that azz, pops.
Sand Douche. Say any of that to my face. Please.

Ok. Lol
Check your sugar
This [bleep] pretty simple, do it my way, or don’t.

If you feel like paying 50% more for someone that hasn’t done [bleep], go ahead. They get in an accident and you’re gonna pay.

Fuvk the system.

Holy Schidt!

wink

Oh well. Lol

Lmao, you told me I didn’t have a clue, waiting on that education you’re gonna give me. Lmfao. Loudmouth [bleep].

I've read what you puked up, and it tells me you were a failure as an adjuster. Do you shoot as bad as your advice? My gophers are safe.

Holy Schidt!

wink

Oh well. Lol

I've read what you puked up, and it tells me you were a failure as an adjuster. Do you shoot as bad as your advice? My gophers are safe.

Pretty bad deflection, pops. You gonna call me on what I don’t know or just sit there and look like an idiot?
Lol sand douche thinks someone else looks like an idiot
My insurance for the wife and I was $285 a month for full coverage on a 2020 F-150 4wd and a 2018 Honda Accord. Added 18y/o twins with a new car each same coverages. 2020 Nissan Altima and 2020 Chevy Malibu and monthly bill went up to $967 a month! Good thing they both have pretty well paying jobs already 😁

Bring some facts to dispute what I’m saying. Lmao.

Poor little MJ got his feelers hurt. Lmao

You have some facts snowflake? Lol
I don't think enough of a schit bag like you to have feelings involved. You're a liar and a loudmouth. I know what i need to know about you and your kind
I don't think enough of a schit bag like you to have feelings involved. You're a liar and a loudmouth. I know what i need to know about you and your kind

We can agree on one thing, maybe. I’m a loudmouth.

Where did I lie?

Lol, you [bleep] liar. Lmao
Go to your safe spaces
Willfully lying to your insurance company. Lying by omission. Generally being a schit bag
Willfully lying to your insurance company. Lying by omission. Generally being a schit bag

I didn’t lie to [bleep]. I just didn’t offer info.
Go to your safe spaces

[bleep] you sock puppet
We agree. Bob brown is a schit stain on this forum
Breathe.....123
Breathe.....123

[bleep] you boy.
Adding our daughter to our insurance doubled our insurance.
Without adding cars.
Swapped one out, added one, and out rates were triple of where we started.

The agent suggested we list out daughter as the primary on the biggest,
oldest car, saved a bit.

Then we researched my low deductibles. Couldn't believe it, but when I
raised the deductible, I saved more per year then the amount the deductible went up. No brainer there.
It might be worth looking at American National Property And Casualty Company. I bought my daughter a new Altima for her highschool graduation present and a week before she graduated she totalled it. And less than a year later my son totalled my 06 LBZ. I presently have 4 trucks insured on a commercial policy and 3 cars on a personal policy and pay $3,200 a year. We carry 100k-300k and a 1M liability blanket. Good luck with it, I tried to get the kids on their own policy but it was unaffordable.

Some people will suck a willie for a dollar, even though they know it's wrong. I don't see where he lied in his post though.
Turn your kids from a liability to a potential asset. At age 15 take out a large life insurance policy w/ you as the beneficiary. At age 16 buy them a fast motorcycle.

Think outside the box.

#raisingkidsforfunandprofit

mike r
Posted By: ribka Re: Teenager Insurance Question - 05/13/21
I have a buddy that just went through this. He had a sit down with his agent to understand what drives the costs. Apparently, one of the driving factors of price is how long you have owned the vehicle (not the age of the vehicle), but how long you have had that vehicle. Actuarial tables apparently show that the longer you've owned a vehicle without an incident, the less likely you are to have an incident. So getting your kid a new car, regardless of cost is not a good idea. You're better off to give them one of your other cars. Mine will be getting a 2008 4runner.

bingo. combining emotions and financial decisions is a losing proposition. buying teenagers, unproven drivers and highly risky drivers, a new vehicle makes no sense and bitching about higher insurance when you do this makes even less financial sense. Should have asked an established and experienced agent what safe economical vehicle to buy before graduation if you wanted to not pay exorbitant prices..
Are you positive failing to disclose a resident child with a DL that is the primary driver of a vehicle would not get you denied coverage if the unthinkable million$ at fault accident occurred? I insure with USAA and they want me to declare who is the primary operator of each vehicle and estimate yearly mileage. All 3 of my kids had totaled out vehicle accidents within a year or two of starting to drive. Only one was "at fault" although the other two could have probably avoided being run into. When I bought an older 4WD Toyota USAA pointedly asked what was the purpose of the vehicle and who would be driving it. This was after the kids were gone and we just like to have a spare that we don't mind getting muddy. Insurance companies will deny claims if they can and lying to them even by omission sounds like a bad idea. I have assets to protect and a lawyer would love to tie into me. What do you think?
Yep
Breathe.....123

[bleep] you boy.

Do your fantasies elsewhere, pecker breath
Posted By: Mossy Re: Teenager Insurance Question - 05/13/21
I just added our 16 year old daughter and a 2009 Nissan Altima to our USAA policy yesterday. Rates went up $115 a month.

2011 Chevy PU
2018 Jeep Wrangler
2018 grand design toy hauler
2009 Nissan Altima

Myself,wife and 16 year old daughter and the above vehicles Is now $216 a month
I retired from the insurance industry five years ago but suspect my info is still pretty accurate.

Agents need to bring value to the table. My agents were trained to ask three questions of prospective clients:
What are their current limits (100/300/50 etc)? How did they pick those limits? Did the prospect understand what the limits mean? Take two minutes to educate the prospect so they can participate in choosing their financial protection.

Agents are paid a commission on sales so there is certainly an incentive to up sell. But recognize a major component of their compensation is based on policy renewals for business sold months and years past. If they base their sales on just price they, risk losing that revenue stream as insureds shop around. Living by bottom price without adding value to the transaction will cause them to eventually die by the price. Virtually any low premium can be shopped and beaten by another carrier if the prospect spends the time to shop. It always surprised me how many people wanted to shop insurance every six months.

One of the reasons carriers are now providing longevity credits to renewing policyholders to encourage insureds to not shop.

Acquisition cost to bring in new clients is a major expense to the carriers although it doesn’t seem that way with as many tv ads for insurance every hour of the day it seems!
Forgot to add, USAA distributes their products via call centers lowering their cost by not paying agents new and renewal commissions. This helps them be competitive.
Forgot to add, USAA distributes their products via call centers lowering their cost by not paying agents new and renewal commissions. This helps them be competitive.
JimR: Since Sandbilly did not answer my question and you are an auto insurance veteran. Can a company disallow a claim if you have a teenage child with a DL living with you and you fail to disclose that person as driver of your vehicles? What about if investigation proves they are the primary driver of a vehicle?
Yes and they do.
And then it counts as driving an uninsured vehicle. And the cops charge you with all kinds of fun stuff. And then you have to buy high risk insurance that costs 3 times as much. And then you get a huge fine.

And then since they didn't pay the claim, the guy you hit sues you and you personally get to be on the hook for medical bills and lost wages and pain and suffering and vehicle replacement.

But sure. Just lie to them. Good idea. Heavy sarcasm.
Yes, they may deny coverage in either event.
Posted By: ribka Re: Teenager Insurance Question - 05/13/21
good info Jim

I retired from the insurance industry five years ago but suspect my info is still pretty accurate.

Agents need to bring value to the table. My agents were trained to ask three questions of prospective clients:
What are their current limits (100/300/50 etc)? How did they pick those limits? Did the prospect understand what the limits mean? Take two minutes to educate the prospect so they can participate in choosing their financial protection.

Agents are paid a commission on sales so there is certainly an incentive to up sell. But recognize a major component of their compensation is based on policy renewals for business sold months and years past. If they base their sales on just price they, risk losing that revenue stream as insureds shop around. Living by bottom price without adding value to the transaction will cause them to eventually die by the price. Virtually any low premium can be shopped and beaten by another carrier if the prospect spends the time to shop. It always surprised me how many people wanted to shop insurance every six months.

One of the reasons carriers are now providing longevity credits to renewing policyholders to encourage insureds to not shop.

Acquisition cost to bring in new clients is a major expense to the carriers although it doesn’t seem that way with as many tv ads for insurance every hour of the day it seems!
Proof for SandBillly, just Michigan though:

https://www.michiganautolaw.com/blog/2016/11/26/disclose-other-drivers-auto-insurance/

Slidellkid - Not sure what state you are in, but I know in Michigan, Citizens (Hanover) has a pretty good young driver discount program, more than just the typical good student discount.

I work in commercial insurance, but our agency sells personal lines.
Thanks, I thought so. And it is just a good idea not to be deceptive with anyone you are making a contract with. Besides being dishonest it gives them an opening to attack the contract.
Originally Posted by Hastings
Thanks, I thought so. And it is just a good idea not to be deceptive with anyone you are making a contract with. Besides being dishonest it gives them an opening to attack the contract.

Lmao, he’s an idiot. You keep on thinking tho.lol

Acquisition cost to bring in new clients is a major expense to the carriers although it doesn’t seem that way with as

many tv ads for insurance every hour of the day it seems!

You know Jack [bleep] about insurance, admit it? You’re a glorified agent, agents know [bleep]. Lmfao.
I’m not going to argue with you [bleep] retards anymore, I handled the actual [bleep] claims. Lmao, not whatever Jim did.

Agents and salesmen know Jack [bleep].

Let me ask one question. Who here has been denied a claim because they didn’t call in and add a driver?

Jim?
Let me ask one question. Who here has been denied a claim because they didn’t call in and add a driver?

Go to insure.com and check out 10 horrible decisions that will mess up your car insurance. #3 on the list deals with this subject. Don't you believe an insurance company will refuse to pay a huge claim if they legally can? As to your question, I cannot answer that because I try to keep my insurance contracts with accurate information included because I don't wish to have any contest with them about their liability to cover me.
Goodnight Sandbilly, I'll check your answer tomorrow. thanks

Go to insure.com and check out 10 horrible decisions that will mess up your car insurance. #3 on the list deals with this subject. Don't you believe an insurance company will refuse to pay a huge claim if they legally can? As to your question, I cannot answer that because I try to keep my insurance contracts with accurate information included because I don't wish to have any contest with them about their liability to cover me.

You can Google whatever you want, I had the real job. Idgaf what you Googled.

Night fella.

I don’t know exactly what Jim did In insurance but he wasn’t very [bleep] good at it. Lmao
If I let my friend’s son borrow my truck, and he crashes it, am I fugked?

Insurance companies are like cops.

Being forthright is stupid.
Shouldn't cost you anything extra, make the kid pay the difference. My parents did, I had to work and give them 300 a month towards vehicle and insurance when I was a teen.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Teenager Insurance Question - 05/13/21
My parents did it the smart way, they knew just what kinda driver I was going to be.

I'd been driving a rail buggy, go carts and motorcycles from age 10.

First car was a 1965 Mustang fastback, I was on my own for insurance.

Cost me $37.00 a month but quickly was reduced to zero after I totalled that bitch right in front of the high school 3 months after I'd got it on the road.

It wasn't my fault, a car pulled out in front of me and got himself broadsided. They tried to claim excessive speed was involved but I had never hit the brakes so they couldn't prove it.

Insurance companies are like cops.

Being forthright is stupid.

I didn’t pay for someone else’s kids [bleep] ups.

Goodnight schit bag.

As a former claims adjuster .....................
Aha - that tells me a LOT.. Every 'adjuster' (save one) was determined to screw the customer from one end to the other in order to save the company a buck. Dealt with them many times when I was in the car biz - and I told a lot of customers how to deal with those a-holes whose companies pressured 'em all to cut the losses by trying to settle with 50 cents on the dollar - or less.. And I got a lot of phone calls later from those same customers who thanked me profusely for saving 'em a ton of money..

Ran into one adjuster personally - when the only damned deer I hit in my life in the truck back in '05 caused over $7K in front-end damage and the "adjuster" offered to pay $2500.. I fixed that BS by putting a lot of pressure on the company itself - to either settle up correctly or my 15+ year history with that same company (and NO losses) would end at noon that day.. 11:55 am I got a call from his boss - and the repair shop got paid in full.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Teenager Insurance Question - 05/13/21
probably already mentioned but I'll say it again - I'm too lazy to read all 5 pages.

good student discount - I can't speak for others but USAA doesn't even check, they just ask you to fill out a questionairre. I have been honest on mine and my C- son doesn't get a discount.

Also, I got a $117 policy decrease for my daughter going off to school and not taking the car, essentially a summer and winter break driver.

Getting the right car - low left, low value will really help with the rates. My daughter drives a 2005 Accord which is probably higher theft, we had her in a 2000 VW and the insurance was noticeably cheaper - but there only about $1500 difference in the value of the cars.
Originally Posted by Redneck

Goodnight schit bag.

Aha - that tells me a LOT.. Every 'adjuster' (save one) was determined to screw the customer from one end to the other in order to save the company a buck. Dealt with them many times when I was in the car biz - and I told a lot of customers how to deal with those a-holes whose companies pressured 'em all to cut the losses by trying to settle with 50 cents on the dollar - or less.. And I got a lot of phone calls later from those same customers who thanked me profusely for saving 'em a ton of money..

Ran into one adjuster personally - when the only damned deer I hit in my life in the truck back in '05 caused over $7K in front-end damage and the "adjuster" offered to pay $2500.. I fixed that BS by putting a lot of pressure on the company itself - to either settle up correctly or my 15+ year history with that same company (and NO losses) would end at noon that day.. 11:55 am I got a call from his boss - and the repair shop got paid in full.

You don’t know as much as you think, at least not about the companies I worked for.
Shambilly acts a lot like Bleck Squirt

Well, neither of us hide behind sock puppet’s.

Thanks,

Dan

Don’t do this.

Well, neither of us hide behind sock puppet’s.

I’m sure Sock Puppet is a strong enough guy but I won’t hide behind him if we were in the same room.
I was hoping Sandyvagina was just drunk and not really that cundty. But, it's back this morning. Maybe it has a hangover, and it doesn't really behave that way as a matter of practice.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I was hoping Sandyvagina was just drunk and not really that cundty. But, it's back this morning. Maybe it has a hangover, and it doesn't really behave that way as a matter of practice.

Lmao.
Let it borrow your Vagisil, Paul
Posted By: joken2 Re: Teenager Insurance Question - 05/13/21

Often just a certain model and / or year range of vehicle can cause higher insurance premiums.

When our oldest daughter was looking for her first car our insurance agent advised us to lessen premiums stay away from anything branded Camero, Firebird, Mustang, etc., regardless how docilely equipped.

Daughter wound up buying a 4 cyl, automatic transmission Pontiac Sunbird and the premiums were a worthwhile amount less for it compared to a equally equipped Mustang she had been looking at. Insurance agent also said certain variations of the same models -- XES, X__, etc., -- can sometimes increase premiums substantially, too.

My insurance on a base model '87 Toyota pickup went up noticeably once due to a significant increase in theft of Toyota pickups within a certain year range in my coverage region. Was told the interchangeability of many parts within that year range made them become highly desirable on the stolen parts market.

maybe this happens to you guys , never seems to happen to me

I hang on to a car - lets say its worth $19K when I insure it, then over time, like 5 years, the car is worth $6K (probably a Ford with that kind of depreciation).

My insurance rate never seems to go down, even though the value of the car does. I know that it doesn't mean that squat about me hitting someone else, but you'd think you'd see some kind of drop, even if its only $50
Originally Posted by KFWA

I hang on to a car - lets say its worth $19K when I insure it, then over time, like 5 years, the car is worth $6K (probably a Ford with that kind of depreciation).

My insurance rate never seems to go down, even though the value of the car does. I know that it doesn't mean that squat about me hitting someone else, but you'd think you'd see some kind of drop, even if its only $50

They’re taking a lump right now having to pay replacement cost on totaled vehicles.

Seriously, what did you do with the old mower and did you get that walk behind cutting ?

My guess is much more often than not a vehicle isn't totaled but repair labor and replacement parts costs don't lessen due to book value of vehicle. Same for liability, medical and related costs. If anything like everything else they increase in cost over time.

They’re taking a lump right now having to pay replacement cost on totaled vehicles.

Seriously, what did you do with the old mower and did you get that walk behind cutting ?

ended up just buying the motor, a Kawasaki FB460V with a starter. I have the walk behind running and I'm sanding/painting the deck. I've order a solenoid and key switch to make it battery start. Maybe another month and I'll have it finished.

The bulk of insurance costs are in the medical liability.
Not only are a lot of the costs associated with medical and liability...but the value of your vehicle only matters in a total loss situation. That's not all that common. The parts cost the same to repair your car regardless of its value. And the likelihood of you having a claim is the same no matter how much your car is worth.

Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

The bulk of insurance costs are in the medical liability.

^^^ This ^^^ and liability costs in general, too.

Check out what little difference in premiums there is when dropping full coverage portion on a vehicle, especially on older vehicles.
Posted By: JOG Re: Teenager Insurance Question - 05/13/21
I'm not a lawyer, but I had kids and paid their insurance.

Minnesota law leans toward SandBilly's version, but with a twist. No-Fault laws contain a 'frozen liability' clause that dictates an insurer must pay liability claims no matter what was said or agreed to prior to the claim/accident. The twist is that while the insurer must pay your liability claim - they can sue to recover their costs at a later date.

I bit the bullet and paid the going rate. I never viewed it as a morality play, just a better gamble.

yea really , gaming the system , making others pay for him !!
I told our agent after seeing our rates go up that my wife was getting an abortion for that teenager.

JK

We insure a few houses, 5 vehicles, a boat on our policy, so get a fairly good break. I’ve been known to tell an agent I don’t want to shop for insurance but will if prodded.

Don’t recall them prodding much & iirc they gave us same answer Flave got, insure cars not drivers 🤷🏻‍♂️

Youngest just turned 23 & I can’t remember what day it is, so above may be fos
Posted By: Teal Re: Teenager Insurance Question - 05/13/21
Not only are a lot of the costs associated with medical and liability...but the value of your vehicle only matters in a total loss situation. That's not all that common. The parts cost the same to repair your car regardless of its value. And the likelihood of you having a claim is the same no matter how much your car is worth.

The only time I've ever made a claim is total loss. 2 vehicles.

I cover my car - full coverage, 2mm umbrella and Harley - full coverage for 190 a month. West Bend. And because I'm claim free, I usually get about 120 a year back as a "refund" from them.

Not too bad.

Harley is worth 2x what the car is tho...
Straying afield a little bit. Everyone that has "full coverage" with state minimums in liability coverage ought to reconsider. Especially if you have minors in your family driving. In most states your uninsured motorist coverage is limited to the amount of your liability limits and most agents don't push for higher limits which add very little to the overall cost. My brother in law always prided himself on his full coverage which included the Louisiana minimum of $30K liability and the corresponding $30K in un/under insured motorist coverage. A distracted lady came over into his lane with a GMC Suburban and demolished his little Ford Escape killing his wife and almost killing him and their 15 year old son. The lady in the Suburban had $50K total liability coverage and no personal assets to attach. For years I've been carrying $500K in UIM and liability coverage and I feel underinsured. This same brother in law carried a $25K whole life policy on himself and both kids instead of a much higher limit term policy on himself and his wife. In short, he collected barely over $100K for a million$ plus accident and his health insurance was trying to attach the money last that I heard.
there are alot of old grouchy f#$kers on here who think its ok to run their mouth to people because they are hiding behind a keyboard. How about if you have somethiung to say to someone you list your name and address first. If not, just STFU you bunch of cowards.
Originally Posted by blairvt
there are alot of old grouchy f#$kers on here who think its ok to run their mouth to people because they are hiding behind a keyboard. How about if you have somethiung to say to someone you list your name and address first. If not, just STFU you bunch of cowards.

I noticed you called a bunch cowards without listing name and address....

Irony.
Originally Posted by Teal

Irony.

I wasn't insulting anyone in paticular. Did you think I was talking to you?
Posted By: Dutch Re: Teenager Insurance Question - 05/13/21
The thing that worked for me was to put my son on my farm policy and let him drive a farm truck (which it was, primarily). Cheap vehicle, good student discountand liability only made it pretty doable. And when he spun out on ice and tested the airbag on the guardrail, the accident was never reported...... Even though it was a waste of a perfectly good Tacoma with only 330,000 miles on it......

Irony.

Nope but still - the point stands.

You apparently had something to say - didn't list name and address first and then further hid behind your keyboard by not naming names.

Now you're pulling lawyer tricks, back peddling when I noticed the irony.

Geeze.

This guy must be a real bad ass.
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Teenager Insurance Question - 05/13/21
$300 additional per month for a teen driver and a brand new car doesn't sound that bad really.

Sucks but that's what it is.

In my business, I had a 19 yo working for me. To add him onto the policy cost me about $4000 a year.

My current private insurance is through the roof also because I have 1 teen driver (17 yo) and we own a lot of vehicles on the policy (7 motorized vehicles plus trailers, camper etc.) My son has a permit and will be getting his license this fall. At that time, I am going to be looking into putting a vehicle in his name and get his own policy.
Some families would have a hard time explaining that their child rarely uses a vehicle.

Others, not so much.
Hastings,

The same thing happened to me. My dad, who was very financially astute snd should have known better carried 50k on his vehicle. He was hit head on by a kid who crossed the center line while looking for his cell phone, kid had the minimum 25k of coverage. My dad died as a result of his injuries after spending more than two months in the hospital. Our recovery was a pittance to what it should have been.

Geeze.

This guy must be a real bad ass.

Maybe we can get him and Blackheart in the ring for a 'Fire PPV event. I'd be surprised if either could sustain vigorous movement of any sort for 2 minutes.

Posting under a pseudonym for safety's sake of course.
Entertaining thread! lmmfao
People wanting to throw hands!

Thanks,

Dan

How much does Kia Forte insurance cost?

https://insuraviz.com/vehicles/kia/kia-forte-insurance/

The cost to insure teen drivers is expensive. Average rates for full coverage Forte insurance costs $5,352 per year for a 16-year-old driver, $4,988 per year for a 17-year-old driver, and $4,652 per year for a 18-year-old driver.

Does insurance cost less on cheaper Forte models?

With Kia Forte car insurance cost ranging from $1,442 to $1,534 annually for the average driver, the most affordable model to insure is the FE Sedan. The next cheapest trim level to insure is the LXS Sedan. Expect to pay at least $120 per month for full coverage Forte insurance, depending on your location.

The two most expensive models of Kia Forte to insure are the GT Sedan at $1,534 and the GT-Line Sedan at $1,488 per year. Those two trim levels will cost an extra $92 and $46 per year, respectively, over the lowest cost FE Sedan model.

The table below shows average annual and 6-month car insurance costs, plus a monthly amount for budgeting, for each Kia Forte model and trim level.

Kia Forte Insurance Cost by Trim Level Kia Forte Trim Level Annual Policy 6-month Policy Per Month
FE Sedan $1,442 $721 $120
LXS Sedan $1,442 $721 $120
EX Sedan $1,488 $744 $124
GT-Line Sedan $1,488 $744 $124
GT Sedan $1,534 $767 $128

Forte vs other small cars: Which has cheaper insurance?

The Kia Forte ranks #9 out of 24 total comparison vehicles in the small car category. The Forte costs an estimated $1,480 per year to insure for full coverage and the category median rate is $1,521 per year, a difference of $41 per year.

When compared directly to other small cars, Kia Forte insurance costs $60 more per year than the Honda Civic, $164 more than the Toyota Corolla, $18 less than the Nissan Sentra, and $226 less than the Hyundai Elantra.

Oh looky here, you come up for air after sucking varmintGuy’s old cock?
#DOUBLESHEESH
OK, time to join the fray. I've been a broker for 31 years.

Sandbilly IS correct about letting your neighbor, or friend, drive your car, and there being coverage under your policy.

Sandbilly is incorrect about naming drivers in your home. You have to tell your insurance company about every driver in the home. If you don't, they may decline to pay a claim.

For a small claim, say $5-6,000, the adjuster will most likely pay the claim, and then tell the Underwriter about the undisclosed driver (UD). Then, the underwriter will send out an Offer to Exclude the UD. If you sign, the rates stay the same. If you do not sign, the rates will increase due to the UD and the accident.

For a large claim, say $50,000+, the insurance company has an incentive to review the application, to make sure the T's are crossed, the I's are dotted and all drivers in the home are named. When they see the UD, they might decline to pay. That leaves the owner, and driver, of the At-Fault car to pay the damages out-of-pocket.

Follow Sandbilly's advice, and you may wind up with a non-covered claim.

Sandbilly said his daughter has been driving for 6 years, without being added as a driver. Since she is an adult, the car might be in her name alone. Because Sandbilly is not the registered owner, there most likely would not be coverage for the daughter or her car, even though the car is on Sandbilly's policy.

The reason being, Sandbilly does not have an insurable interest in his adult child's car, therefore, no coverage.

To the OP: to keep your rates down, look at increasing your Deductibles to a higher level. Carry as high a Deductible as you can comfortably come up and raise your Deductible on the home while your at it. Take the combined savings for the higher Deductibles, and put them in a 'cookie jar'. Do that at each renewal, and in short order, you will have the higher Deductibles saved in the 'cookie jar'.

Another option is to shop around. Get in touch with a broker, as brokers usually represent several companies ( I have 14 to work with) they can quote you with, and then call a few 'captives', like State Farm, Allstate, etc.
Originally Posted by k22hornet

Sandbilly IS correct about letting your neighbor, or friend, drive your car, and there being coverage under your policy.

Sandbilly is incorrect about naming drivers in your home. You have to tell your insurance company about every driver in the home. If you don't, they may decline to pay a claim.

For a small claim, say $5-6,000, the adjuster will most likely pay the claim, and then tell the Underwriter about the undisclosed driver (UD). Then, the underwriter will send out an Offer to Exclude the UD. If you sign, the rates stay the same. If you do not sign, the rates will increase due to the UD and the accident.

For a large claim, say $50,000+, the insurance company has an incentive to review the application, to make sure the T's are crossed, the I's are dotted and all drivers in the home are named. When they see the UD, they might decline to pay. That leaves the owner, and driver, of the At-Fault car to pay the damages out-of-pocket.

Sandbilly said his daughter has been driving for 6 years, without being added as a driver. Since she is an adult, the car might be in her name alone. Because Sandbilly is not the registered owner, there most likely would not be coverage for the daughter or her car, even though the car is on Sandbilly's policy.

The reason being, Sandbilly does not have an insurable interest in his adult child's car, therefore, no coverage.

To the OP: to keep your rates down, look at increasing your Deductibles to a higher level. Carry as high a Deductible as you can comfortably come up and raise your Deductible on the home while your at it. Take the combined savings for the higher Deductibles, and put them in a 'cookie jar'. Do that at each renewal, and in short order, you will have the higher Deductibles saved in the 'cookie jar'.

Another option is to shop around. Get in touch with a broker, as brokers usually represent several companies ( I have 14 to work with) they can quote you with, and then call a few 'captives', like State Farm, Allstate, etc.

And there you have it.
Still debating insurance?
Sheesh
Originally Posted by smarquez
You give a 17 year old a new car and think things would stay the same? Insuring kids to drive costs big bucks.
Depending on your state, she has to be added as she has access to any vehicle in your fleet. The thing to do is rate her on YOUR truck. If you listed her on as the primary driver of the Kia, you're gonna pay.
I had a beater Camry for flogging on a 80 mile temporary commute. I rated my kids on that and saved a ton of money on insurance.

Iput our son as 'primary' on our lowest value vehicle w/liability only.
It saved some.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Teenager Insurance Question - 05/13/21

Irony.

I didn't. I knew you were talking out your ass.

To the OP, did you put the car in your name or your daughters? I believe that would have been a big problem if you did put it in her name. In the long run It might be cheaper to have her give it back to you.

I still believe this is bad advice and stands a good chance of voiding your coverage. This is not even close to the same as withholding information from a police officer who is trying to get you to admit something. This is being deceitful in a contract which could work seriously against you if the company investigates which is probably going to happen when a minor of the same surname and address as you kills someone in a collision. I don't have teenagers at home anymore but when I did I wanted my insurer fighting for me not against me. The laws are different in the various states but to be safe I am going to be straight with USAA and they have paid a few claims and provided legal defense the only time I was sued with no issues in the over 45 years I've insured with them.

As they each got their drivers licenses we put each of our kids on one of our two vehicles as part-time drivers and we paid for their insurance.

Eventually as they bought their own vehicles, they went to full time driver coverage and paid for their own insurance.
Stick with USAA and get a umbrella policy also teenagers are spendy. Switching insurance companys does not save you in the long run. Call your auto repair places and see who is easier to deal with any claims under $3500 pay cash or pay out of pocket up to claim amount that will trigger a negative claim. Raised by an insurance agent so I have learned how to play the game.
Somebody already said it.

Farm Bureau

$100,000 home contents-Full replacement cost, renters rates
$25,000 firearms rider
Comp and collision, $500 deductible on an 05 Durango and an 01 GMC 4X4 2500
Liability only on a 92 Toyota pickup, and 96 GMC 4X4 2500
Full coverage on a $22,000 boat, $6,000 camper, and $5,000 ATV

All total at $170/mo.

The same policy including home owners was considerably less expensive when we lived in our own home on the farm. Renters rates suck the big one. But when I hear of people paying a couple hundred a month for insurance on one car......we don't have it so bad.

We raised three kids, one boy, and two girls. The rate went up a little bit on one rig while the kids were home and driving. That 140% for girls and 180% for boys sounds about right.

But, that increase is only on one vehicle, and the cheapest liability only policy at that.

The kids are still allowed to drive anything I or anybody else owns.

My kids were responsible for paying the difference for putting them on the policy. Usually forty to fifty bucks/month.

Heck, my son got a reckless ticket and was required to do SR-22 for a year or so.

It cost $17.50/mo for the filing fee for Farm Bureau to report to the state that he was maintaining his coverage. Otherwise, my rates did not increase.

Our policy declares that any driver living in the house and not declared to the Ins Co is specifically exempt from coverage, unless they carry their own independent policy.

I sign on the bottom line each year. That means I will abide by their terms. To do otherwise is fraud.
Originally Posted by Tarkio
$300 additional per month for a teen driver and a brand new car doesn't sound that bad really.

In my business, I had a 19 yo working for me. To add him onto the policy cost me about $4000 a year.

My current private insurance is through the roof also because I have 1 teen driver (17 yo) and we own a lot of vehicles on the policy (7 motorized vehicles plus trailers, camper etc.) My son has a permit and will be getting his license this fall. At that time, I am going to be looking into putting a vehicle in his name and get his own policy.

It sounds like Farm Buruea could save you several $1000 per year.

I have had several ins companies call me to sell me a policy. I tell them "match this".

They hear what I have covered, and what I pay, they say "have a good day, goodbye."

You will see the rate drop when you tell the agent to put liability only on the $6,000 rig.
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Turn your kids from a liability to a potential asset. At age 15 take out a large life insurance policy w/ you as the beneficiary. At age 16 buy them a fast motorcycle.

Think outside the box.

#raisingkidsforfunandprofit

mike r

Or buy the ins, buy them a gun, and move to the hood.

Win the ghetto lottery!
JimR: Since Sandbilly did not answer my question and you are an auto insurance veteran. Can a company disallow a claim if you have a teenage child with a DL living with you and you fail to disclose that person as driver of your vehicles? What about if investigation proves they are the primary driver of a vehicle?

That is exactly what my contract says they will do.

Why would I test them for $40-$50/month?

And why would I set that example of dishonesty for my children?
I put our kids on our policy with the stipulation that should they get one moving violation or accident they would be removed from my policy and have to get their own insurance. I said I did not care if their car sits and doesn't get used and you have to ride the bus. I don't care. They countered with you'll have to drive me to work and pick me up. I replied no problem, $5 each way should cover it so keep talking. Then I heard the crickets...

One strike and you're out in this baseball game...
13 years in the business at this point. And not so when it comes to threats to leave. If you are honest and put in the correct info then the rate is what it is.

Only way to miraculously find "discounts" on the fly is to lie or adjust something you earlier did wrong.

Have told many clients that their rate is their rate, based on the situation they are in. It's not arbitrary...that's the point.

And if I were to sell you the most expensive i could...you would not buy it or you would leave immediately. So that would be pretty stupid of me to intentionally not try to compete

Give them the rate with the highest deductible possible the watch how they piss and moan on their next claim.
Using IdahoShooter as an example, he appears to have very good rates, for him and in his area.

Among other things, auto and home insurance rates are based, in part, on Age(s), driving record(s), ZIP Code, credit rating, etc.

If you move 1/2 mile away, but in a different Zip Code, your rates could be much different than before.

It's a good idea to have your agent/broker review your policies once in awhile. Their job is to protect your assets, things such as equity in the home and cars, 401k, your income, bank accounts, etc. . You do not want to have to cash those in if you have a liability loss that is above the liability limits you have on your cars or home.

Goodnight schit bag.

I had a used Toyota Camry wrecked 3 weeks after I got it. Geico's first offer was $800 over what I paid for it including new tires. I then sold it for $400

I have a travel trailer that was supposed to be totaled for $3000 in damage. I just had a short convo with and adjuster and emailed 3 links of the same trailer selling for right around $10k. They said, oops, sorry and paid up. It was pretty painless and took a whole 15 minutes out of my day.
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Farm Bureau.
Years ago, when I got out of college and got my 1st full time job, I was 23. I bought a car and went to them for insurance. I had a completely clean driving record, not even a parking ticket. They turned me down flat because I wasn't 25. I told them to never come see me again because I wouldn't be interested. I have a very long memory. Sure enough, the day I turned 25, here they came asking for my business. No sale.

Sand Billy will come in here and tell you you are full of schidt because it isn't what he wants to hear or believe. You will somehow get blown off by a few others as not being qualified to respond.
Your answer is completely believable and many on here came to the same conclusion with just common sense.
There is really only about 2 pages of useful information in this thread anyway.

This forum is for entertainment only. You can't possibly take these people seriously.

LOL this coming from someone that works for Dunham's. Really???

Haha tough guy

Goodnight schit bag.

Ya ya ya. And every time I've had an accident my insurance has been right there paying in full.

A broker for 31 years huh? How many claims did you settle?

Brokers/agents know very little about the actual claims process. Your job is to blow the corporate smoke up customers azzes. It’s all scare tactic BS.

I wonder why when you have a driver in your household they won’t insure or won’t insure without jacking your rates they make you sign an excluded driver contract? HMMM

Never saw a claim that was denied for this, ever, and if a co did try and the customer just rolled over and agreed they might get away with it. Otherwise, simple call to the insurance commission and game over.
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

And there you have it.

Lmao.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Oh looky here, you come up for air after sucking varmintGuy’s old cock?

LOL
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite

This forum is for entertainment only. You can't possibly take these people seriously.

And the biggest dickhead of all speaks up.
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Teenager Insurance Question - 05/13/21
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

I have had several ins companies call me to sell me a policy. I tell them "match this".

They hear what I have covered, and what I pay, they say "have a good day, goodbye."

What limits do you have?
I carry the max available.

That being said, when I finally clear up a damage claim on my home, I am going shopping for all my coverages, personal vehicle, home, farm and ranch, business insurance, commercial vehicle insurance etc. Going to shop for private health insurance also.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Farm Bureau.
Years ago, when I got out of college and got my 1st full time job, I was 23. I bought a car and went to them for insurance. I had a completely clean driving record, not even a parking ticket. They turned me down flat because I wasn't 25. I told them to never come see me again because I wouldn't be interested. I have a very long memory. Sure enough, the day I turned 25, here they came asking for my business. No sale.

That is interesting.

My first car. My first driver's license. No driver's ed.

I called around. Farm Bureau quoted me the cheapest price for liability. I went with it. I was nowhere near 25.

I have been with them ever since.

What limits do you have?
I carry the max available.

That being said, when I finally clear up a damage claim on my home, I am going shopping for all my coverages, personal vehicle, home, farm and ranch, business insurance, commercial vehicle insurance etc. Going to shop for private health insurance also.

I have $100K liability and $500 deductible. Annual renewal is coming up. I intend to talk to the agent about trading higher deductibles for increased liability.

A couple years ago Farm Bureau had a good year with unexpected low claim rates. I got a $300 check back in the mail at year's end.
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42

LOL this coming from someone that works for Dunham's. Really???

No idea what that is supposed to mean. I spent 13 years as an independent agent and still do financial planning. I also work for dunhams. Not sure what isn't clear for you.

I've no mutt in this fight but would like to thank you for your input obviously based in experience. We all know this forum is loaded with trolls, phonies, halfwits and worse polluting the waters. Every now and then, however, a jewel is unearthed from the hole. I appreciate your taking the time to weigh in, sir.
Posted By: JOG Re: Teenager Insurance Question - 05/14/21

That's not the case in Minnesota, which is a no-fault state. I don't believe Colorado is.

In Minnesota the insurer has to pay the liability claim. However, the insurer can sue after the fact if they believe fraud was committed.

I have $100K liability and $500 deductible. Annual renewal is coming up. I intend to talk to the agent about trading higher deductibles for increased liability.
Good move. You can recover from a few thousand $ loss. A huge liability loss for an at fault accident or loss from an under insured motorist demolishing you is your biggest danger. Extra coverage is relatively cheap but a lot of agencies don't even mention it. Companies love minimum coverage liability and otherwise "full coverage" policies.
Originally Posted by JOG

That's not the case in Minnesota, which is a no-fault state. I don't believe Colorado is.

In Minnesota the insurer has to pay the liability claim. However, the insurer can sue after the fact if they believe fraud was committed.

JOG,

No-Fault pertains to the medical injury side of the policy. With no-fault, your own car insurance coverage (in Minnesota, that means your “personal injury protection” or "PIP" coverage) pays for your medical treatment, lost wages, etc. after a car accident, up to policy limits, regardless of who caused the crash.

No-Fault does not cover damage to vehicles or other property.

Colorado used to be a No-Fault State, but that was rescinded in the late 1990's, if I remember correctly.
If I recall correctly...NY, Fla, PA, and Michigan are still no fault
© 24hourcampfire