Home
My son is contemplating buying a new rifle before he gets married, smart boy! He's looking at a 30-06 that his brother inherited from his grandfather (they would likely do a trade to keep it in the family) or buy something new, likely a 7mm rem mag. I strongly suggested the 30-06, it's a rem 700 BDL from the 80s that is in excellent condition (side story here, I bought the rifle from a neighbor at the request of the ole man and he never paid me for it, I'm the only one who ever spent a dime on it). Anyway, I pulled some simple ballistics with 165 gr loads, my preference for both, and there's really not much difference. If he goes the new route, I really can't recommend a factory rifle that's affordable that I would want myself.

30-06
.308 diameter
165 gr bullet
2960 feet per second
3209 muzzle energy

7mm rem mag
.284 diameter
162 gr bullet
3030 feet per second
3302 muzzle energy
Well I am of the opinion that everyone needs a 30-06. What does he plan to do with the rifle?
I’m a 7 mag guy, but no fleas on a 30-06. I have several of each. I like them both.

Get one, the other later when he can afford it.
I have owned both... and reloaded for both.

30-06... all day.

130gr TTSX for deer and antilope...

165gr Speer Hot Cor for elk

200gr round nose for black bear at close range.

one gun dose it all.
He has a nice 243, a Rem model 7 I gave him, but he's thinking an elk hunt one day.
I have both too, always have. The 7mm mag has become a favorite, a Win 70 with a Shilen barrel in a Brown Precision stock. For some reason, it's much easier to shoot than you may imagine for a 7mm RM.
7mag but it sounds like you’ve already decided.
.30-06 with 165gr. is just the ticket for any North American big game.
.30/06 loaded with 180 grain bullets and go hunting.
30-06 plenty of different bullet configurations.

Wby or Win mag.

Yeah I went there.
Originally Posted by hanco
I’m a 7 mag guy, but no fleas on a 30-06. I have several of each. I like them both.

He's managed to get his MBA and has a good job with a big consulting firm. He has the money, has always been a saver but he knows he will have to be accountable in April when he ties the knot. He still drives his grandfathers 2002 Chevy truck as his daily driver, he can certainly afford something a bit less dated but he's pragmatic and I'm proud of him for it!
Originally Posted by FatCity67

Wby or Win mag.

Yeah I went there.

I'm afraid to pull the trigger on a 300 Wby, I've had a couple 300 Wins, hard to beat!
It really comes down to if his brother will sell/trade him the '06.
No flies in the 7RM. However, the 30-06 seems to lead every poll on this forum for taking the most game. I would pick the ‘06 simply to ensure it stays in the family long term.
This book pretty much sums up the 30-06, I have it, it's excellent!

One Man, One Rifle, One Land
By J.Y. Jones

Over 40 years ago, J. Y. Jones started his North American big-game hunting career, which ultimately evolved into a quest to take all the huntable species and subspecies of North America with the same .30-06 rifle.
Originally Posted by Orion2000
No flies in the 7RM. However, the 30-06 seems to lead every poll on this forum for taking the most game. I would pick the ‘06 simply to ensure it stays in the family long term.

Yes, for sure, it's not leaving the family, even if I have to "buy" it again myself!
One size fits everything in North America for both of them. A 7mm RM is about at the recoil limit of what most guys can handle and a '06 isn't exactly pleasant either. Where will he do most of his hunting? Florida, then probably the '06. Out west or longer range the RM. I've shot stuff with both and everything got on the meat pole. I sold the '06, but still have the RM which I seldom shoot anymore because I built up a 7mm-08 that works better for the ranges where I hunt. Your son might consider something smaller and be happier given my own experience over lots of years.

I think that your son should take a lesson from you about building a better one than buying a new BDL. My own '62 BDL is also in a Brown Precision Kevlar camo stock, turned ss barrel, bead blasted hard chrome plated, blue printed action... Way better. My own son got a good deal on a .300 Weatherby and I still remember the look on his face the first time he touched that thing off.
Inside 400yds, I look at them as being almost the same. I do like the fact that a 30-06 is not handicapped with a 22" barrel, as I'd not want that length in a 7mmRM. Both have a good ammo and component selection, with the edge going to the 30-06.
If limited to the 2 - I'd select the 30-06, mostly for the extra round in the belly, tho I do like what's available bullet wise in .284 diameter.

I also believe that if I need "more" than a 30-06, the 7rm isn't it chief. If you need MORE get MORE - 375 or 338.

So my vote - 30-06
I have several of both, and either one will work great for his needs.

I'd be inclined to settle on a rifle model he likes best and see what options he can easily find on dealer shelves in this day and age.
I would go with the 30-06 but he won't go wrong with either choice.
Either one would be a top choice. Were it me I'd go with the 30-06 that you've told us about. If he doesn't like it he can always count on you to buy it. Also find one of each, likely you have a friend that has a 7mag and you already have access to the 30-06 and let him shoot them both. The 7mag has a reputation for recoil but I've never had a problem with either of these. Both are wonderful rounds!
Originally Posted by mikieb
I have owned both... and reloaded for both.

30-06... all day.

130gr TTSX for deer and antilope...

165gr Speer Hot Cor for elk

200gr round nose for black bear at close range.

one gun dose it all.

+1 on this

The 130 TTSX from a 30-06 is DEADLY on whitetail. Its pretty nasty from 308 too.
I have and like both, but if I had to choose one, it would be the 30-06. I think that as an elk rifle, the 30-06 has an advantage in bigger bullets, but obviously, either would work fine.
Efficiency 30.06. Holds more rds., less cost, less powder, typically shorter barrel.
I'd tell him to wait. The .243 is good enough for deer and by the time that he can afford a western elk hunt, he'll be able to afford the perfect rifle for it. A lot can change in 10-20 years. New bullets have transformed the 223, 243 and 9mm in the last 20.
Both excellent cartridges, and either would serve him well.

That said, common cup and core bullets tend to break up if they impact at more than 2800 FPS. So if he's going to shoot something with the 7 Mag inside 100-150 yards, he's going to want to stick to premium bullets. The '06, load any good quality garden variety 180 grain bullet, and he's GTG. Also, brass life tends to be longer with the '06 if he plans to reload.

Since caliber is a moot point, as either will provide the adequate dose of medicine, I would suggest to him the following.
3006 And use the money he saves on the 7 for reloading equipment and supplies. Right now he is young enough to establish an interest, habits and energy to do some reloading with proper guidance from a family member. That should get them both in the field sharing quality time during this busy life.
"Overall" hunting..the 30-06. Here's why, the 7mm Mag will be a tad heavier, not as "fast" to put in action if still hunting and jump a deer/hog,etc. For elk, a 30-06 with 200gr (180 too) will stomp an elk as hard as any 175gr 7mm Mag...especially if under 400yds ( which is one heck of a long shot for most folks) My "average" on 4 cow elk is about 175yds! With 2 being 100 & 135, the others 200 & 250 yds.
Now, if he hunts deer from a box stand, etc, carrying from truck to stand, then the 7mm Rem Mag with 140/150 will be like a laser ( but so will the 130TTSX in the 'o6!) so, my vote -30-06. I have found, from my own experiences that a 7mm Mag is an outstanding LR deer/antelope/exotics caliber. He could "compromise" and buy a C.A. Mesa in 7mm Rem Mag ( or even a Bergara B14 Hunter) and be happy, if he just wants new. The older Remingtons are a favorite of my own, but I have found the Kimber 8400 & 84L Classics to be fine ( have an 84L/270 now) the Bergara B14 ( I have one now in 300WM, have owned 3 others in '06/6.5 Creed/300WM) all shooters. Main thing is he picks something he thinks he will enjoy, of course. Wish him luck!
Both cartridges are plenty adequate for elk but I’d go with the 06 just because it was my grandfathers. I’ve used a 270 for elk for more yrs than I’d like to admit, so have both my sons. Never lost one yet.
.30-06 vs 7 Mag...a coin toss. I would go with anything that wasn't in a Remington 700. There is a reason there is an entire cottage industry devoted to making the 700 perform as it was advertised. From buttplate to muzzle...every single part is available aftermarket to make it work better. Also, see "gunsmithing" topic on here today, re: cam/timing.
Sounds like the REAL question is: Is he marrying the right girl??

If he is concerned that the purse strings will be held by his new bride..... will he be "allowed" to follow his passion for hunting?
Asks 30/06 or 7mm RemMag for elk

Gets recommended a 7mm/08 for Florida whitetails
No deer or Elk will know the difference.
Originally Posted by Windfall
One size fits everything in North America for both of them. A 7mm RM is about at the recoil limit of what most guys can handle and a '06 isn't exactly pleasant either. Where will he do most of his hunting? Florida, then probably the '06. Out west or longer range the RM. I've shot stuff with both and everything got on the meat pole. I sold the '06, but still have the RM which I seldom shoot anymore because I built up a 7mm-08 that works better for the ranges where I hunt. Your son might consider something smaller and be happier given my own experience over lots of years.

I think that your son should take a lesson from you about building a better one than buying a new BDL. My own '62 BDL is also in a Brown Precision Kevlar camo stock, turned ss barrel, bead blasted hard chrome plated, blue printed action... Way better. My own son got a good deal on a .300 Weatherby and I still remember the look on his face the first time he touched that thing off.

Much wisdom here!
Waiting for someone to say Creedmoor...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by JPro
Inside 400yds, I look at them as being almost the same. I do like the fact that a 30-06 is not handicapped with a 22" barrel, as I'd not want that length in a 7mmRM. Both have a good ammo and component selection, with the edge going to the 30-06.

Both of mine are 24", pretty much standard for me but I know it's more about personal preferences. I know the 7mm RM could benefit from a 26" barrel but I'm fine with the 24.
Originally Posted by JakeBlues

Don't do it!!!
Originally Posted by JakeBlues

the Jedi light saber of calibers grin
Originally Posted by slumlord

Truth!
easy, Granddads rifle
Originally Posted by blairvt
easy, Granddads rifle

My thought exactly!
They still maken 7mm???.....lol

The only elk I ever shot was with a 7mag. Could just as easily taken it with my 30/06. My two 7mags can be a little more finicky, at least for me, to reload but certainly not a game changer. My two 30/06s seem to shoot whatever they are fed. If forced down to getting rid of all but one rifle, I would keep my father's M70 pre-64 30/06. If given the choice for two, I would include my father's M70 7mag.
Originally Posted by 257Bob
easy, Granddads rifle

My thought exactly!

Yep. No brainer.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I can't imagine having the opportunity to own Grandpa's or Dad's rifle and not taking it, whatever the caliber!

(But all else equal, I'd take the '06)
Can't beat .30-06 for flexibility. I'm persuaded by the argument that magnumizing the 7mm didn't increase its effectiveness on larger big game, only the flatness of its trajectory, whereas the .30-06 with the heaviest bullets has long been proven against the largest American big game.
Yup no brainer you allready know the 06 is a proven gun with family background. Mb
I suspect that sales of 30-06 cartridges are at least 10 times the sales of 7RM. Ron Spomer did an article on that a few years ago.

Whenever some company introduces a new rifle, one of the chamberings is usually 30-06. Usually one is not 7RM.

There is a reason for all that.

To be fairrrrrrrrrr

I'd shoot an elk with a 7/08 and feel okay about it.
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Yup no brainer you allready know the 06 is a proven gun with family background. Mb

For sure, if he can get his hands on it.
Originally Posted by Teal

To be fairrrrrrrrrr

I'd shoot an elk with a 7/08 and feel okay about it.

To be faiiiiiirrrrr.....
30-06. Keep it in the family. I've compared the two before and wondered why anyone would go with the 7mm Magnum for the same reasons as you.
About 30 years ago there was an article in one of the gun rags about a failure of the 7mm Magnum to stop a brown bear attack, i.e., center mass hit, but the bear tore the hunter up. I think he was killed.
Nothing wrong with the 7MM Rem Mag but if you reload it only has an advantage over the 30.06 with the lighter bullets. If you have a 30.06 with a 24" barrel it will shoot the 165 gr and 180 gr bullets about as fast as the 7mm Rem Mag shoots the 160 gr and 175 gr bullets with a lot less powder. The trajectories will be nearly identical.
Simple, since he can afford them now he needs to get both BEFORE he gets married. Anything other than that would be foolish on his part.
[Linked Image]
Image shows 30-06 is #13 and 7mmRM is #22 in popularity of 91 cartridges.

I own (12) 7mmRM rifles and (13) 30-06 rifles.
I own (2) 7mmRM reamers and (0) 30-06 rearmers.

When I buy a 30-06 in Rem700 or pre 64 Win M70, I convert them to 25-06, 6.5-06, 270, or 280 Ackley.

When I buy a 7mmRM in Rem700, I convert them to 7mmRM with a better barrel.

I have never hunted with a 30-06, but I have hunted with my brother when he fielded 30-06. When he lived in Seattle he got great groups at 100 yards and thought that was the answer. He has since moved 900 miles East [where we sight in to 600 yards] and converted to 7mmRM and shot lots of antelope, deer, and elk.

Where we hunt is over sage brush. hay fields, and wheat fields. Last year he pulled a trailer behind his pick up to load the deer that were eating from hay stacks. He was hitting does in the neck at 500 yards.

30-06 every time.
If he's marrying a pretty girl buy the 30-06, if he's marrying a dude get a .270 😁
I have a 7 mag and love it.

The 06 ammo is much easier to find and probably a little cheaper.

either one-use good premium ammo. I think the higher velocities are more sensitive to variations. I use to get about 1 out of 5 was a flyer on Remington cheap ammo.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I own and like both.

If picking one, make it the 30-06.
There have been a lot of good answers already.

+1 on the 30-06, cause it's Grandpa's.
+1 on the idea of a 7mm-08. But I'd get the 30-06 first
+1 on buying reloading equipment. That way, you can make the 30-06 do whatever you want.

I've shot but never owned a 7mmRem Mag. I always felt it was too much recoil for what you got out of it. Folks are going to argue, and that's fine. YMMV

The first thing I'd do with an 80's vintage Rem 700 is get an aftermarket trigger/safety installed. The horror stories of Rem 700's going off at unexpected times queered me to the model years ago.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
About 30 years ago there was an article in one of the gun rags about a failure of the 7mm Magnum to stop a brown bear attack, i.e., center mass hit, but the bear tore the hunter up. I think he was killed.

Interesting but I fail to see the connection here...
Originally Posted by mirage243
If he's marrying a pretty girl buy the 30-06, if he's marrying a dude get a .270 😁

Pretty girl for sure...but I have two 270s, the best deer cartridge ever produced. It's way too cool for the Millennial hunters who grew up with muzzle brakes and shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor! Yep, I tried the .264s, including the 260 Rem, 6.5x55, 6.5-06, 264 Win Mag and the 6.5 CM. Only one I'd like to have back is the 6.5x55. After all of the loading, powder burning and projectiles sent downrange, I figured I'd just shoot a 270 and have it all. No more 6.5s in my safe!
30-06. Family connection, cheaper ammo, and you can’t get a 220 grain bullet in 7mm.

Or, split the difference and get a 280 Remington. grin
Originally Posted by shaman

+1 on buying reloading equipment. That way, you can make the 30-06 do whatever you want.

I've shot but never owned a 7mmRem Mag. I always felt it was too much recoil for what you got out of it. Folks are going to argue, and that's fine. YMMV

The first thing I'd do with an 80's vintage Rem 700 is get an aftermarket trigger/safety installed. The horror stories of Rem 700's going off at unexpected times queered me to the model years ago.

I've owned several 7mm Rem Mags but my current rig, the M70, is so easy to shoot I never even think about the recoil anymore. It has been my go-to rifle for years simply because it's never let me down.

The issue (danger) with the Remington triggers is absolutely true! Truth is the Remington is and always has been a poor design. Remington rifles can’t hold a candle to numerous other rifles in terms of design, reliability, or safety.
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel

The issue (danger) with the Remington triggers is absolutely true! Truth is the Remington is and always has been a poor design. Remington rifles can’t hold a candle to numerous other rifles in terms of design, reliability, or safety.

You’re smoking crack.
He should get the cheapest 30-06 available, think Savage Axis.... that way his bride will have much more money to spend on whatever she wants..... good grief
Originally Posted by victoro
Nothing wrong with the 7MM Rem Mag but if you reload it only has an advantage over the 30.06 with the lighter bullets. If you have a 30.06 with a 24" barrel it will shoot the 165 gr and 180 gr bullets about as fast as the 7mm Rem Mag shoots the 160 gr and 175 gr bullets with a lot less powder. The trajectories will be nearly identical.

Fans of the 7 mag look askance at one for the comment, and have done so for at least thirty years.

But in all reality the 30-06 and 7 mag are ballistic twins in the game fields, when the 30-06 is loaded to its full potential, ie equivalent pressures with the 270.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Fans of the 7 mag look askance at one for the comment, and have done so for at least thirty years.

But in all reality the 30-06 and 7 mag are ballistic twins in the game fields, when the 30-06 is loaded to its full potential, ie equivalent pressures with the 270.

Not passed 300 yards, not even close. The 7 blows by it.
If he plans on shooting long ranges, get a 7mm Mag. If no shots would be farther than 300 yards, it is hard to beat the old trustworthy '06. I'd have to take the '06 due to the family ties.
I have both. If you do your part the outcomes will be the same. Dead is dead.

LOL. True.
Since we’re off the tracks

I traded $306 black plastic Rem700 in 7mmMag, with Simmons scope

for a Marlin 1895G 450 marlin, 100 rounds of factory ammo, dies, rings, bases, leather sling, canvas bag and a steel dan cd

Loved the 7 rem mag

But Cleadus the power line right of way hunter wanted it bad. LOL
Does he re load? He well off $?
If not. 06 for the win

[quote=hanco][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/quote

I knew some jackass would start this 270 gaymore crap. And you didn’t let us down.
My son is contemplating buying a new rifle before he gets married, smart boy! He's looking at a 30-06 that his brother inherited from his grandfather (they would likely do a trade to keep it in the family) or buy something new, likely a 7mm rem mag. I strongly suggested the 30-06, it's a rem 700 BDL from the 80s that is in excellent condition (side story here, I bought the rifle from a neighbor at the request of the ole man and he never paid me for it, I'm the only one who ever spent a dime on it). Anyway, I pulled some simple ballistics with 165 gr loads, my preference for both, and there's really not much difference. If he goes the new route, I really can't recommend a factory rifle that's affordable that I would want myself.

30-06
.308 diameter
165 gr bullet
2960 feet per second
3209 muzzle energy

7mm rem mag
.284 diameter
162 gr bullet
3030 feet per second
3302 muzzle energy

There's practically nothing to go on here in the OP, 30-06 of course.

Okay I read some more. Grandpa's rifle is a no brainer. Good luck.
Getting married? Buy both.

laugh
If his brother decides not to trade, then I strongly recommend that he find a M70 featherweight in .30-06.
Go with the 3006 because the case don't have the belt like the 7mm does.
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs

Whut?

That belt keeps the primer from falling out.
If the ballistics are very similar, I would get the one that typically has more available ammo, more affordable ammo, and is more reloading friendly. I don't know the answer to that but I assume 30-06?
Originally Posted by SandBilly

Whut?

I’ll be durn

Always wondered about that

Whut?

I’ll be durn

It's true.

30-06 ... is, by far, the most versatile rifle/cartridge combo ever created.

In a pinch you can neck it down to 270, cut it down to .308 and then cut it down again to 45 ACP. Was once told you can even resize to 45-70 (but I've never confirmed).

You can load it in a pinch post shtf with anything from 90 grain cast plinkers to 210 APs and everything inbetween.

I actually have a buddy who worked-up a home made black powder load with a cast 165 gr coated thing he calls his torpedo load and it shoots remarkably well out to about 300 yards.

It is truly an amazing all-around versatile cartridge.

Whut?

I’ll be durn

Yep, just like yer pants.

I’m currently working on a new cartridge. I call it the 6.5 suspender..

He's managed to get his MBA and has a good job with a big consulting firm. He has the money, has always been a saver

"""""but he knows he will have to be accountable in April when he ties the knot."""""

What does this mean ?
I can’t wear a belt

I get rope burns
‘06 seems to be leading in the opinion poll, so far.

I agree, would want grandpa’s ‘06 over a new 7RM. I have both, not a big difference.

DF
Every now and then I find y'all somewhat funny. Not often, but it happens once in awhile.
I can’t wear a belt

I get rope burns

What kind of knot you tying?

FYI, the belt goes over your pants.
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
easy, Granddads rifle

My thought exactly!

Yep. No brainer.

There were a few more with a clue.

30-06 vs 7mag? Ho-hum.
Anybody that argues too hard against one for the other better
be shooting a loonnngggg distance.

Or they are just retard fanboys.

But we have a chance to buy the gun Dad bought,
And Pap kinda stiffed him on it?
And it was his hunting gun?
And some would let that go?

WTF?

You buy that all day, everyday.

The world is full of 7mags.

Ain't but 1 that is like that '06.

Not my business, but at his income level, another rifle shouldn't be
a big deal later.
If he thinks it will be,
he needs to do some thinking!
Y’all do know the tirty ot 6 had a gay son named 270 win, right?
I’m happily married for going on a quarter of a century and I have a 7 Mag (1964 mod. 70) and a 30-06 (1956 model 70) I also have a few .308’s, and a few other calibers as well.

He’s going about it all wrong…..he should be buying all the guns he wants and asking advice about marriage and women. The wrong choice for a mate and no rifle stands a chance. The right choice for a mate and the world of firearms is his oyster. I wish him the best of luck with his new life. 👍
Aces,

Advice worth way more than a rifle.

Lucky here, got a dam good woman, 27 years next week.
Not perfect, but better than me.
Made me a better, happier guy.

Ain't much can make life worse than a bad one though!
I own 6 or 7 .30-06s. I have owned 2 different 7mm RMs, traded one for a .30-06, traded the other to a friend for a left hand .270 to give to my son in law. The first 7mm RM I owned was a Rem. 700 BDL and was the first CF rifle I ever owned. The 2nd one was inherited and didn't show me much if any advantage over the .30-06. I believe the friend that got that one built a .26 Nosler with it.
30-06. Cheaper to feed and just as useful as the 7mm mag.

30 06's are boring. One big bore to own, the answer is 30 06 . It does it all from 90 gr to 220gr. Takes out anything including groundhogs , bears, liberals and aliens. Shoots all bullets well. By being perfect it ends up boring. Buy one gun and spend the savings on hookers while you are still young. grin GW
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Ain't much can make life worse than a bad one though!

That, right there, is the G-d's honest truth.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I’m happily married for going on a quarter of a century and I have a 7 Mag (1964 mod. 70) and a 30-06 (1956 model 70) I also have a few .308’s, and a few other calibers as well.

He’s going about it all wrong…..he should be buying all the guns he wants and asking advice about marriage and women. The wrong choice for a mate and no rifle stands a chance. The right choice for a mate and the world of firearms is his oyster. I wish him the best of luck with his new life. 👍

Yeah but if he asked for advice her about a mate, he'll just get scores on her azz and tits and he'll end up too broke to buy a gun grin
Y’all do know the tirty ot 6 had a gay son named 270 win, right?

Not surprising, since the parent was the thursday odd sex.
I have both 7mm mag and 30-06 but if I only could have 1 it would be the 7mm mag
Nothing against the 30-06 but my 7mag is my go to rifle.

There are white lies, lies, damn lies, and then there is 7mmRM published load data.

7mmRM 66.7 gr IMR-4451, 140 gr Nos bal tip, 3.34"

3384 fps chrono

QL predicts 3301 fps 64 kpsi using H4350 =2.5% error
Shootin’ a deer or an elk in the chest with either one of em’ is gonna result in a dead animal.
Don't over analyze the ballistics. They both go boom and will put a nice hole in whatever they hit.
This is a really dumb thread.... as Ace's says buy guns 30-06, 7 mag doesn't matter.... and get pre-marital advice sounds like he is about to make a dumb decision
Rem 700 BDL 30-06 is the quintessential modern American rifle. I think the threads here will certainly back that up. Not only with emotion but also a bucket load of facts. 7 Mag is hardly a step up from the 06 because for all practical purposes it is just about equal. Tell him to grab the 06 and buy a 375 H&H and he will be able to hunt the world if his new honey won't let him buy another rifle. Anyway, let us know how it turns out...............
Marriage and guns go together. If you aren’t careful either one could hurt you badly.
7 mm Mag ! All the way! I go needs a .30-06 😁

GreggH
Marriage and guns go together. If you aren’t careful either one could hurt you badly.

Guns and good wives go together..... guns and bad wives not so much.... sounds like the op's son needs an education regarding good wives
"Nothing wrong with the 7MM Rem Mag but if you reload it only has an advantage over the 30.06 with the lighter bullets."

Originally Posted by Clarkm

There are white lies, lies, damn lies, and then there is 7mmRM published load data.

3384 fps chrono

"Nothing wrong with the 7MM Rem Mag but if you reload it only has an advantage over the 30.06 with the lighter bullets."

Where's the lie?

Originally Posted by Clarkm

3384 fps chrono

Really?
This is just stupid. He should buy a 7 mag and a 30-06 and a 7x57 and a 22-250 and a 223 and a 375H&H and whatever the hell he wants and can afford.
But if he marries the wrong women he will have to be happy with never purchasing a gun again? wtf?
I will go to hell before I let a woman tell me I can't buy a gun with the money I earn
Originally Posted by SCRooster
Every now and then I find y'all somewhat funny. Not often, but it happens once in awhile.

It's only every now and again, thems somewhat funny, so you are right on track. Kudos for effort to all.
Originally Posted by Orion2000

I look at it from the same direction Orion does. My vote is for the 30-06. (And family)

LOL, correct Hanco... smile

You’re smoking crack.

You are welcome to your opinion. Keep your crack.
So, for craps and giggles I just read to OP and his following posts to
Mrs, Buck!

"Sheeez, if he is afraid to not be able to buy a gun after marriage,
he either needs to grow a pair or find a different Chickadee!"

To me,

"Can I comment?" I told here I was going to put it here.

Then, she said.

"I wonder if she is gonna work, or is she going to be a kept woman spending
his money for entertainment?"

This is the chauvinist I live with.😊

Told you all earlier, I got a good 'un!
I have both and I really like both.How they perform on game matching the bullet weight for the game your hunting,I really can't tell any difference between the two.Way out there,the 7mag may be a bit flatter,but inside a couple hundred yards,I'm equally confident shooting either one.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
No deer or Elk will know the difference.

This! There is no wrong choice here.
Originally Posted by irfubar
This is just stupid. He should buy a 7 mag and a 30-06 and a 7x57 and a 22-250 and a 223 and a 375H&H and whatever the hell he wants and can afford.
But if he marries the wrong women he will have to be happy with never purchasing a gun again? wtf?
I will go to hell before I let a woman tell me I can't buy a gun with the money I earn
Hell, I got rid of one once cuz she didn't like my dog and said she would never sleep in the same bed with her. She was a damn good piece of ass but damn, the dog was here long before her and was a faithful companion.
One of each and can the woman if she doesn't like him spending.
30-06 is never a bad choice.
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

Since caliber is a moot point, as either will provide the adequate dose of medicine, I would suggest to him the following.
3006 And use the money he saves on the 7 for reloading equipment and supplies. Right now he is young enough to establish an interest, habits and energy to do some reloading with proper guidance from a family member. That should get them both in the field sharing quality time during this busy life.

PS: Suggest that he bring her over for lunch followed by some fun range time a week Saturday. By then you can gather hearing protection, plugs and ears. Buy a box of 22s and 3006.
Gather your Dad's 06.
Keep it light and fun. Have a print out of Jeff Cooper's Safety Rules and go over that as you teach them after lunch at the range.
Once she is ready and familiar with the manual of arms, start with fun targets like balloons, clay pigeons, plastic kid's toys, etc.
Share the '06 and give it's history, asking if he has decided yet. If not, maybe it's better for his brother..
Lastly, wash hands and make ice cream sundaes.
End on a positive note.
If this becomes a routine and she wants to continue with session #2 , then he and she can get aquatinted enough to learn if she will be demanding of the purse strings or he will lead. If she's secure enough with him, she should follow his leadsership. She also will have less challenges with his modest purchases because:
A. She knows that he will provide her needs
B. They will share a common interest.

PS: Suggest that he bring her over for lunch followed by some fun range time a week Saturday. By then you can gather hearing protection, plugs and ears. Buy a box of 22s and 3006.
Gather your Dad's 06.
Keep it light and fun. Have a print out of Jeff Cooper's Safety Rules and go over that as you teach them after lunch at the range.
Once she is ready and familiar with the manual of arms, start with fun targets like balloons, clay pigeons, plastic kid's toys, etc.
Share the '06 and give it's history, asking if he has decided yet. If not, maybe it's better for his brother..
Lastly, wash hands and make ice cream sundaes.
End on a positive note.
If this becomes a routine and she wants to continue with session #2 , then he and she can get aquatinted enough to learn if she will be demanding of the purse strings or he will lead. If she's secure enough with him, she should follow his leadsership. She also will have less challenges with his modest purchases because:
A. She knows that he will provide her needs
B. They will share a common interest.

You forgot the part about teaching her to tithe the money he makes.
Both will work
I would pick a 30-06 over the 7 mag every time.

The family provenance is icing on an already great cake!
Not that difficult. The complication is your asking for others opinion.
Since we’re off the tracks

I traded $306 black plastic Rem700 in 7mmMag, with Simmons scope

for a Marlin 1895G 450 marlin, 100 rounds of factory ammo, dies, rings, bases, leather sling, canvas bag and a steel dan cd

Loved the 7 rem mag

But Cleadus the power line right of way hunter wanted it bad. LOL

You stole it and should be reported to the feds for Cleadus abuse.

If the 1895G (ported guide gun) is in any decent type of shape, combined with the ammo and the rest ..... you should have a guilty conscience. $306.00 traded for what is now easily (if it is a JM stamped Marlin, which I assume it is) .... now easily $1200.00 worth of gun and accessories, maybe more.
The cartridge is of less concern than the idea that he can't simply make a purchase, even at 1k in price after earning an MBA and working at a big consulting firm.

I happen to work in a company founded by people and staffed with people from "big consulting firms" - 1k should be the same as dropping a couple candy bars in the cart as you pass through the checkout. Be ridiculous to "ask permission" for that - same as a new rifle whenever he would like.
"Ain't many problems that a man can't fix with $500 and a 30-06."
Rick Springfield
Just get the Ot6.
Ammo be easier to find in this day and age.
Shoot a 165 or 168 grain bullet.
2800 fps range.
Jacketed bonded bullet or monolithic copper bullet.
Kill most anything easy within 400 yds....

Bestest caliber evah.....

Grandpa's 06?

Garbage.

Get a 150 dollar Savage 308 and then you will really have something!
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
"Ain't many problems that a man can't fix with $500 and a 30-06."
Rick Springfield

LOL..

In Montana, the version I heard was-

"There's not too much that can't be fixed with 180 grains from a 30-06"
Or maybe he oughta get the

2nd bestest caliber evah....
8x57 JS

#tappedoutonboltbluedandwoodriflesnomorepics.
I like my 06’s

Now a Garand - I'd dig that for sure.

Might try finding a Swiss Sig Sauer SHR 970 for sale somewhere although that could take a while. They have quick 'switch barrels' and were offered in several calibers including 30/06 and 7mm magnum. As I recall most standard calibers only required a barrel switch but magnum calibers also required a bolt and magazine switch, too.
Now a Garand - I'd dig that for sure.

All correct H&R

30-06
.308 diameter
165 gr bullet
2960 feet per second
3209 muzzle energy

7mm rem mag
.284 diameter
162 gr bullet
3030 feet per second
3302 muzzle energy

So it seems to me YOUR mind is made up in favor of the '06. From the way you've worded the "question" it looks like you're not asking for actual advice, you're asking for support and justification in your choice. However, you seemingly fail to remember that this is a rifle for your son. If you're having to work so hard to justify the '06, it would seem he's leaning the other direction and you're trying to overrule him. Yes or no? It is important to remember this is a rifle for him, not for a rifle for you, and he's the one who has to be happy with the choice.

Lets briefly look at your ballistic comparison. It is true enough **at the muzzle**. However, the 7 mag has a higher sectional density so it's going to penetrate better assuming bullet construction is the same and it will have a higher BC so as you move downrange, the difference between the two is going to grow giving greater advantage to the 7mm mag the farther you get from the muzzle.

I'm not a fan of 165s in the '06, not for elk. I like 180s. I think a better comparison would be to compare 180 grain partitions in the '06 vs 160 partitions in the 7mm mag since those are about as close to perfect for elk as you'll find with either. I would not hesitate to hunt elk with either. I would probably make my choice based on the rifle, not the cartridge.

Tom
I'd buy the rifle that fit me the best....and it wouldn't be in either of the cartridges...

Misinformation.

That is a 30-30.

30-06 is not THAT bad.
Originally Posted by las
In competent hands the 7 won't do anything inside 500 yards that the 06 won't do, and the 300WM will do both better.

Wrong.
30-06, 7 mag, 270, 280. You could close your eyes and pick one and it won’t be a mistake.
Get one that you’re confident in and move forward.
What no one ever talks about is how the average guy flinches when they about to touch off a magnum size cartridge. None of us forum fellas are average you understand, but I saw the flinch phenomena lots helping guys during the gun club’s sight in days. A large cartridge and rifle might be capable of long range lethality, but a lot of shooters aren’t. A .30-06 is about the limit for most guys and often not even.

hanco wins this thread.

LOL
It's more a matter of the gun than the cartridge choice.
What no one ever talks about is how the average guy flinches when they about to touch off a magnum size cartridge. None of us forum fellas are average you understand, but I saw the flinch phenomena lots helping guys during the gun club’s sight in days. A large cartridge and rifle might be capable of long range lethality, but a lot of shooters aren’t. A .30-06 is about the limit for most guys and often not even.

My win 94 30-30 150 gr bullets at 2300 fps is painful to shoot.
My browning BAR 338 Win Mag 250 gr bullets at 2500 fps is a pleasure to shoot.

The difference is one crossed the threshold of 20 psi on shoulder skin.

The recoiling rifle has a:
1) mass
2) velocity
3) butt area
4) butt compliance
5) recoil pad losses

My 30-30 is better on the first two, but worse on the last three.

When I shoot a 10 pound scoped 7mmRM with 140 gr bullet at 3400 fps, it would badly bruise me if it had my 30-30 butt.
But instead it has a large Grind to Fit Limb saver.... Not the stiff magnum model, the soft model.

The strategy for recoil is
rifle weight
spread the recoil over time
spread the recoil over area

My relative has a patent on parabolic shape of recoil hydraulic cylinder. All I got is a 20 psi max on skin pain spiel.
It’s easier to get 30/06 ammo at this time. I’m also fond of a 30/06 so many different grains and types of ammo compared to a 7mm.
Grandpa already did the research - why second guess him.
Who said the 30 06 is never a mistake?
Good old 180 rn corelokts pound deer pretty good here in Maine. I like the 220s as well just cuz they look cool.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]post image

Have you ever shot a 7MM Rem Mag?

30-06
.308 diameter
165 gr bullet
2960 feet per second
3209 muzzle energy

7mm rem mag
.284 diameter
162 gr bullet
3030 feet per second
3302 muzzle energy

Very simple answer. He should get a .308 Winchester. Much more versatile. laugh
If your Son has a MBA, spending money on one rifle shouldn't be an issue.
30-06 I’ve had 2 still have a model 70 that’s my stand by when I ain’t killed nothing it delivers had a love affair with a 7 mag lasted 2 weeks she was a hard woman and went down the road
This has turned into a “hey I got a gun and I go fishin too” thread

Most defining post, and I agree.
I like my 06’s

Somebody fugged up a very nice Sako by putting a pad on it.
Originally Posted by DMc
I like my 06’s

Factory installed pad, never seen a L-61 without a pad

7 mag Rem 700 .

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by DMc
I like my 06’s

Factory installed pad, never seen a L-61 without a pad

Damn Hanco, I stand corrected. My experience with Sako's is limited to 243's & 308's. All had cool butt plates.
I have not read all the post so I may be repeating some of the same responses.
I think the '06 is a more versatile caliber because of the size of the rifles it is available in. A 2" difference in barrels doesn't sound like much but a 22" barreled 30-06 is a lot handier than a 24" to even 26" usually heavier contour barrel 7 mag. Yes, 30-06 come with 24" barrels sometimes but you can lop off the barrel if need be. A 30-06 can be had in smaller, lighter and handier sized hunting rifles. You may give up some point blank range with the '06 compared to the 7 mag but a lot of folks try describe the long range capability of the '06 like it's a 30-30.

A 7 mag has it's place in a hunters arsenal but if you have just one rifle the handiness of a 22" lighter barreled 30-06 makes a better all around hunting rifle. From carrying on backpack hunts to hunting out of tree stands and box blinds it's just a handier rig.
Originally Posted by bluefish
Who said the 30 06 is never a mistake?
Good old 180 rn corelokts pound deer pretty good here in Maine. I like the 220s as well just cuz they look cool.

That was Col. Townsend Whelen. Sorry to sound like a broken record but my vote goes to the 30-06.

I noticed that not whole lot fo conversation covered recoil I would think a comparison would need to be between rifles of a common make with equal length barrels. I did just that using two Ruger #1B rifles with 26" barrels, Weight was just about the same with the 7MM Rem. Mag. a few ounces heavier. (three to be exact) Loads used in the test were my top hand loads for both rifles. I fired five rounds alternating between rifles and frankly couldn't much tell whether one kicked harder than the other. I do have a Remington M700 BDL that gets a tad snappy with top loads but I don't have an M700 in 7Mag. to compare. I have however shot a friend's M700 in .300 Win. Mag and it was definitely a bit snappy. But so does my Ruger #1S in .300 Win. Mag. and that rifle is a bit on the heavy side.

FWIW though, I agree with the Col. Whelen. The 30-06 is never a mistake.
Paul B.
My son has my 30-06 in SoDak and I miss it already. It's nothin special, a Sears M53 with an ugly ass birch stock with pressed checkering. I t has the old Model 70 trigger that breaks like glass at 3lbs. I'm thinking of buying a Savage and swapping it out with him.
I can easily reload 30-06 so that would be my vote.
Originally Posted by Buck720
It’s easier to get 30/06 ammo at this time. I’m also fond of a 30/06 so many different grains and types of ammo compared to a 7mm.

^^^^^

Add to that, everyone should have at least one .30-06. So, there's that.
about 30 years ago, handloader being a client of mine, i went into their shop and asked a question. being a banker and relatively poor, at the time i couldn't afford a lot of firearms. all of them , from dave wolfe, on down, told me to get a left hand 30.06, which could be loaded light to heavy, slow to fast, and perfectly capable of taking any north american game. i ended up buying a remington bdl lh in 30.06 and having some custom work done to it. Now as years went on i bought a lot of rifles in various calibers and manufacturers. having said that couple of years ago i loaded some 180grain barnes bullets for elk, and took the old girl hunting.
awesome what that round did to an elk.
i could sell all the stuff and keep that rifle with a .22lr, and be perfectly well suited.
7mm is [bleep] gay.
I didn't think the 7mm mag was even made anymore.
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
7mm is [bleep] gay.

Speaking of gay, look who shows up. I bet you're an expert dikk sucker.
If you take the nostalgia of grandpa’s gun out of the equation, I’d want to know if he handloads. I’ve chronographed some pathetically slow factory 30-06 loads (180s at 2500fps). When loaded to it’s potential, a 30-06 is formidable. Factory 7Rm loads are loaded hotter by the factories in my experience. If I was routinely going to be taking 4-600 yard shots, I’d opt for the 7RM shooting 160AB as an all around load for deer, elk and black bear.

Folks who need greater penetration frequently talk about 200g partitions (great performer). I believe a little testing will quickly demonstrate that 7mm 175g partitions at max velocities will not only out penetrate the 200s out of a 30-06, but will actually show up some :338s loads. I’m talking penetration, not over all killing efficiency.

For the record, an MBA ought to make enough spare coin to be able to afford a safe full of guns. If his soon to be wife won’t permit it.....well, he’s got bigger problems.

.270 all the way.
30-06. Edk
30-06 no doubt.
Oftentimes the rifle is more important than the chambering. I don't care for the size and heft of most 7mm rifles and therefore don't care for the round either. If you're going to tote that much rifle around, just as well get more performance out of it. YMMV.
7mm is [bleep] gay.

.270 is the only way to go.
Has he made a decision yet?
.22lr gets the job done😉
7mm is [bleep] gay.

Take your fantasies elsewhere f a g g o t, this thread is about choosing calibers.
7mm is [bleep] gay.

Take your fantasies elsewhere f a g g o t, this thread is about choosing calibers.

No it isn't. Not surprising you'd get an outdoors question wrong tho.
Between the two, I would go 7mm.

I have both.
He and his brother came to terms, he will purchase the 30-06, will add a recoil pad and new trigger.
He and his brother came to terms, he will purchase the 30-06, will add a recoil pad and new trigger.

Did he get the fiancé's approval?

Lol
7mm is [bleep] gay.

Yes it is dip s h i t the thread is a discussion about guns, bullets and calibers. Yet you chime in with your homosexual fantasies. Take your gay [bleep] elsewhere.
7mm is [bleep] gay.

Yes it is dip s h i t the thread is a discussion about guns, bullets and calibers. Yet you chime in with your homosexual fantasies. Take your gay [bleep] elsewhere.

Nope. I never mentioned anything about sexual preference. You seem fixated on it though. Doth protest too much?

This thread is about CARTRIDGES not calibers - course those that have passed basic Hunter's Safety would know the difference.

Again, not surprised you get an outdoors question wrong.
This should be easy.
Buy the 30-06 and hunt it, he may decide he really does not need a magnum.
7mm is [bleep] gay.

Nope. I never mentioned anything about sexual preference. You seem fixated on it though. Doth protest too much?

This thread is about CARTRIDGES not calibers - course those that have passed basic Hunter's Safety would know the difference.

It was YOU who showed up and started talking about blowing other men. Like I said keep your gay fantasies to yourself homo.
Buy both, maybe a couple of each.
Originally Posted by TBREW401
This should be easy.
Buy the 30-06 and hunt it, he may decide he really does not need a magnum.

This

The '06 will be around doing a great job forever. The 7mm Mag has dropped off the "list" for good reason; it's overrated. It's an OK round, but it was never what it was touted as, the Wunderboomer.

Now...all...go back to pudsucking fights...

unbelievable... crazy
7mm is [bleep] gay.

It was YOU who showed up and started talking about blowing other men. Like I said keep your gay fantasies to yourself homo.

Liar.

Please show my post here having anything to do with that.

We're all ears.

If you find that on this thread - I'll leave the campfire forever.

Put up or shut up.

(ps - everyone noticed how you avoided the fact you're wrong about the topic - cartridge vs caliber, not surprising you get outdoors questions wrong)

He doesn't need it, as least not yet!!!
7mm is [bleep] gay.

Liar.

Please show my post here having anything to do with that.

We're all ears.

If you find that on this thread - I'll leave the campfire forever.

Put up or shut up.

(ps - everyone noticed how you avoided the fact you're wrong about the topic - cartridge vs caliber, not surprising you get outdoors questions wrong)

My bad, I don’t keep track of who you losers are. I was responding to mirage 243 but your loser ass decided to chime in. I guess I’m just not emotionally invested in you guys like you are with me.

And yeah oooohhh I typed calibers rather than cartridges after finishing a 30 hour shift. I’m not denying or ignoring anything. Typed the wrong thing. If that’s all you can get me for then you are just another campfire f a g g o t now put me on ignore you dirty homo.
Buy both, maybe a couple of each.

I have two 7mm RMS and one '06, don't plan to part with any of them!

My bad, I don’t keep track of who you losers are. I was responding to mirage 243 but your loser ass decided to chime in. I guess I’m just not emotionally invested in you guys like you are with me.

And yeah oooohhh I typed calibers rather than cartridges after finishing a 30 hour shift. I’m not denying or ignoring anything. Typed the wrong thing. If that’s all you can get me for then you are just another campfire f a g g o t now put me on ignore you dirty homo.

You really do protest too much....

Continually typed the wrong thing - because you didn't know. It's okay. We know why you're here and it has nothing to do with hunting/shooting/outdoors.

Continually typed the wrong thing - because you didn't know. It's okay. We know why you're here and it has nothing to do with hunting/shooting/outdoors.

I have plenty of hunting, shooting and outdoors in my tea life. I don’t need to talk about it on the internet with a bunch of people like you. Caliber/cartridge, yeah I messed that one up. At least I have a real life and don’t find the need to post almost 30,000 times on this forum lol.

I have plenty of hunting, shooting and outdoors in my tea life. I don’t need to talk about it on the internet with a bunch of people like you. Caliber/cartridge, yeah I messed that one up. At least I have a real life and don’t find the need to post almost 30,000 times on this forum lol.

Riiiight - it's ok. Show us on the doll where the bad outdoors hurt you.
My first rifle was a Kleinguenther 7mm Mag. A great rifle! I shot that rifle a lot but took game with a 30-06 and 45-70 mostly.
You know it's kind of a no brainer. You have both. The question in my mind is how many of each in different models of rifles do you need to determine which rifle with which chambering? While a 30-06 bdl works fine on deer it does get tiresome on p-dogs.
Why is it liberal trolls with sexual preference problems allways show up on 24 hr forums and threads? Is someone paying the butt ponchers to come here? Jfc what a bunch of pukes.
After 11 pages of posts with every conceivable recommendation I'm hoping he has decided.
AKPINHEAD is a liar.
Like all the other sockpuppet,s on here getting their tee hees and haw haws on here for their little feeling of power in their minds on the internet.

But he is a sheep F U C K ER..........
Get them both. Use them both. If he wants he can always sell one.

That's how it's done!
© 24hourcampfire