Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by victoro
"Nothing wrong with the 7MM Rem Mag but if you reload it only has an advantage over the 30.06 with the lighter bullets."

Originally Posted by Clarkm
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by victoro
Nothing wrong with the 7MM Rem Mag but if you reload it only has an advantage over the 30.06 with the lighter bullets. If you have a 30.06 with a 24" barrel it will shoot the 165 gr and 180 gr bullets about as fast as the 7mm Rem Mag shoots the 160 gr and 175 gr bullets with a lot less powder. The trajectories will be nearly identical.

Fans of the 7 mag look askance at one for the comment, and have done so for at least thirty years.

But in all reality the 30-06 and 7 mag are ballistic twins in the game fields, when the 30-06 is loaded to its full potential, ie equivalent pressures with the 270.

There are white lies, lies, damn lies, and then there is 7mmRM published load data.

7mmRM 66.7 gr IMR-4451, 140 gr Nos bal tip, 3.34"

3384 fps chrono

QL predicts 3301 fps 64 kpsi using H4350 =2.5% error

"Nothing wrong with the 7MM Rem Mag but if you reload it only has an advantage over the 30.06 with the lighter bullets."

Really?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is just stupid. He should buy a 7 mag and a 30-06 and a 7x57 and a 22-250 and a 223 and a 375H&H and whatever the hell he wants and can afford.
But if he marries the wrong women he will have to be happy with never purchasing a gun again? wtf?
I will go to hell before I let a woman tell me I can't buy a gun with the money I earn

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by SCRooster
Every now and then I find y'all somewhat funny. Not often, but it happens once in awhile.

It's only every now and again, thems somewhat funny, so you are right on track. Kudos for effort to all.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Orion2000
No flies in the 7RM. However, the 30-06 seems to lead every poll on this forum for taking the most game. I would pick the ‘06 simply to ensure it stays in the family long term.

I look at it from the same direction Orion does. My vote is for the 30-06. (And family)

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco

LOL, correct Hanco... smile

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
Originally Posted by shaman
There have been a lot of good answers already.

+1 on the 30-06, cause it's Grandpa's.
+1 on the idea of a 7mm-08. But I'd get the 30-06 first
+1 on buying reloading equipment. That way, you can make the 30-06 do whatever you want.

I've shot but never owned a 7mmRem Mag. I always felt it was too much recoil for what you got out of it. Folks are going to argue, and that's fine. YMMV

The first thing I'd do with an 80's vintage Rem 700 is get an aftermarket trigger/safety installed. The horror stories of Rem 700's going off at unexpected times queered me to the model years ago.

The issue (danger) with the Remington triggers is absolutely true! Truth is the Remington is and always has been a poor design. Remington rifles can’t hold a candle to numerous other rifles in terms of design, reliability, or safety.

You’re smoking crack.

You are welcome to your opinion. Keep your crack.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, for craps and giggles I just read to OP and his following posts to
Mrs, Buck!

"Sheeez, if he is afraid to not be able to buy a gun after marriage,
he either needs to grow a pair or find a different Chickadee!"

To me,

"Can I comment?" I told here I was going to put it here.

Then, she said.

"I wonder if she is gonna work, or is she going to be a kept woman spending
his money for entertainment?"

This is the chauvinist I live with.😊

Told you all earlier, I got a good 'un!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have both and I really like both.How they perform on game matching the bullet weight for the game your hunting,I really can't tell any difference between the two.Way out there,the 7mag may be a bit flatter,but inside a couple hundred yards,I'm equally confident shooting either one.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
No deer or Elk will know the difference.

This! There is no wrong choice here.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by irfubar
This is just stupid. He should buy a 7 mag and a 30-06 and a 7x57 and a 22-250 and a 223 and a 375H&H and whatever the hell he wants and can afford.
But if he marries the wrong women he will have to be happy with never purchasing a gun again? wtf?
I will go to hell before I let a woman tell me I can't buy a gun with the money I earn
Hell, I got rid of one once cuz she didn't like my dog and said she would never sleep in the same bed with her. She was a damn good piece of ass but damn, the dog was here long before her and was a faithful companion.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
One of each and can the woman if she doesn't like him spending.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
30-06 is never a bad choice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

Since caliber is a moot point, as either will provide the adequate dose of medicine, I would suggest to him the following.
3006 And use the money he saves on the 7 for reloading equipment and supplies. Right now he is young enough to establish an interest, habits and energy to do some reloading with proper guidance from a family member. That should get them both in the field sharing quality time during this busy life.

PS: Suggest that he bring her over for lunch followed by some fun range time a week Saturday. By then you can gather hearing protection, plugs and ears. Buy a box of 22s and 3006.
Gather your Dad's 06.
Keep it light and fun. Have a print out of Jeff Cooper's Safety Rules and go over that as you teach them after lunch at the range.
Once she is ready and familiar with the manual of arms, start with fun targets like balloons, clay pigeons, plastic kid's toys, etc.
Share the '06 and give it's history, asking if he has decided yet. If not, maybe it's better for his brother..
Lastly, wash hands and make ice cream sundaes.
End on a positive note.
If this becomes a routine and she wants to continue with session #2 , then he and she can get aquatinted enough to learn if she will be demanding of the purse strings or he will lead. If she's secure enough with him, she should follow his leadsership. She also will have less challenges with his modest purchases because:
A. She knows that he will provide her needs
B. They will share a common interest.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Since caliber is a moot point, as either will provide the adequate dose of medicine, I would suggest to him the following.
3006 And use the money he saves on the 7 for reloading equipment and supplies. Right now he is young enough to establish an interest, habits and energy to do some reloading with proper guidance from a family member. That should get them both in the field sharing quality time during this busy life.

PS: Suggest that he bring her over for lunch followed by some fun range time a week Saturday. By then you can gather hearing protection, plugs and ears. Buy a box of 22s and 3006.
Gather your Dad's 06.
Keep it light and fun. Have a print out of Jeff Cooper's Safety Rules and go over that as you teach them after lunch at the range.
Once she is ready and familiar with the manual of arms, start with fun targets like balloons, clay pigeons, plastic kid's toys, etc.
Share the '06 and give it's history, asking if he has decided yet. If not, maybe it's better for his brother..
Lastly, wash hands and make ice cream sundaes.
End on a positive note.
If this becomes a routine and she wants to continue with session #2 , then he and she can get aquatinted enough to learn if she will be demanding of the purse strings or he will lead. If she's secure enough with him, she should follow his leadsership. She also will have less challenges with his modest purchases because:
A. She knows that he will provide her needs
B. They will share a common interest.

You forgot the part about teaching her to tithe the money he makes.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Both will work

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would pick a 30-06 over the 7 mag every time.

The family provenance is icing on an already great cake!

Arcus Venator
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not that difficult. The complication is your asking for others opinion.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by slumlord
Since we’re off the tracks

I traded $306 black plastic Rem700 in 7mmMag, with Simmons scope

for a Marlin 1895G 450 marlin, 100 rounds of factory ammo, dies, rings, bases, leather sling, canvas bag and a steel dan cd

Loved the 7 rem mag

But Cleadus the power line right of way hunter wanted it bad. LOL

You stole it and should be reported to the feds for Cleadus abuse.

If the 1895G (ported guide gun) is in any decent type of shape, combined with the ammo and the rest ..... you should have a guilty conscience. $306.00 traded for what is now easily (if it is a JM stamped Marlin, which I assume it is) .... now easily $1200.00 worth of gun and accessories, maybe more.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (12344mag, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 270cowboy, 10gaugeman, 48 invisible), 1,801 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,054
Posts18,521,335
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.