Home
Had my first case of Gout pop up yesterday in YEARS.
Big toe swollen like a beached Whale.
Can’t get my boots on. Much less my Crocs I wear around the house.
Doc prescribed 20 mg pills twice daily for 5 days.

First time I’ve ever taken it for Gout. Guess it beat that other stuff they use to give me that would tear my stomach up.

Just wondering how Prednisone worked out for any others here who have taken it for Gout ???

And how long before it kicked it’s ass.
I take prednisone daily

Never had the gouch
Originally Posted by slumlord
I take prednisone daily

Never had the gouch

It’s making me sleepy. Pharmacy claimed it would make me hyper.

No advice, but I hope get over it soon!
I was prescribed indomethacin for flare ups but it sucked. Best thing I ever took was 800 mg ibuprofen. Pain went away within an hour or so. Apparently, prednisone is supposed to work as well as ibuprofen.
I've taken 3 rounds of prednisone since the 1st of the year for gout. Usually knocks it back in a couple days.

As a short term fix prednisone is fine although long term you're better off with indocid. or starting a long term course of allopurinol.

Originally Posted by 100grNP
I've taken 3 rounds of prednisone since the 1st of the year for gout. Usually knocks it back in a couple days.

Thanks
Wicked schidt...
You'll feel like you're twenty years old again and with a bad attitude. The only thing that worked for me to knock down my gout, IIRC it took a few days until the pain receded. I've been on 200mg of allopurinol ever since.
Sorry to hear that as gout is terribly painful and debilitating, especially at night when trying to sleep. Recently doctors are using steroids to immediately attack the swelling and ease the discomfort as well as jointly prescribing 500mg Neproxen, which is a potent Ibuprofen prescription. After the attack is over and waiting a couple weeks most doctors prescribe allopurinol, can be 100mg or up to 400mg depending on your uric acid readings. Having Neproxen on hand and taking it when first feeling an attack coming on can curb the degree of the attack and in some cases take it down quickly. Get well soon.
Originally Posted by dingo

As a short term fix prednisone is fine although long term you're better off with indocid. or starting a long term course of allopurinol.

The first one destroys my stomach. Haven’t taken allopurinol in years. May have to start again. I’d forgotten how bad Gout hurts. 😬
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

First time I’ve ever taken it for Gout. Guess it beat that other stuff they use to give me that would tear my stomach up.

Just wondering how Prednisone worked out for any others here who have taken it for Gout ???

Not surprising. Prednisone is like a miracle drug for any inflammatory condition. Of course, it has its problems when used chronically. Short courses (ten or fifteen days), broken up by long periods without it, are the way to use it. In other words, it shines for acute issues, but is not so good for chronic issues.
I have been taking it since around the first of May. I endured 2 months of joint pain that was so bad I could barely get up out of bed or a chair. After many blood tests and finally got in to see a rheumatologist who diagnosed me with pseudo gout and osteoarthritis. Was also put on colchicine to keep the calcium crystals from building up. It is a wonder drug but not something you want to be on long term. They are in the process of weaning me off it and replace it with something that doesn’t have the nasty side effects. Good luck, Dave
Uric acid is a bitch to get out of your system once it begins to accumulate and crystalize. Pound the water, zinc helps, pound black cherry juice (you can also take a pill form as well), and take NASIDS in addition to whatever your doctor put you on. Most of the common pharmaceuticals to reduce uric acid like probenecid, allopurinol, febuxostat and pegloticase have side effects that all pretty much means you will sit on the can for a few days. I suppose the good news is, you lose weight in the process. Prednisone has it's own challenges but taken in short courses is tolerable.

The best preventative is drink tons a water every day and piss your uric acid away.
Colchicine is something that is somewhat intolerable after a few days, my experience is its usage only in a gout attack, but never as a follow up to keep on after the attack is over. It’s a drug that’s hard on the stomach, digestive system and intestines. Good luck, hope you feel better.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Not surprising. Prednisone is like a miracle drug for any inflammatory condition. Of course, it has its problems when used chronically. Short courses (ten or fifteen days), broken up by long periods without it, are the way to use it. In other words, it shines for acute issues, but is not so good for chronic issues.

Prednisone is a miracle drug for sure

I no longer have zits on my ass cheeks

It’s either that or no longer being subjected to swamp ass conditions while roofing.
Neal,

Wife took that anipur-whatever and clocris (sic) when she needed. But she swore by tart cherry juice getting it under control. And diet!
Had gout strike 3 weeks ago. Took a week of chugging water for it to go away.
Or maybe the gallbladder attack made me forget about the gout, hell i dunno.
Big toe was bitching, now it aint.
A plug for Uloric

Was on that for couple years. Still no gout but I’ve been on a few of the popular gout meds for elevated uric acid
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Neal,

Wife took that anipur-whatever and clocris (sic) when she needed. But she swore by tart cherry juice getting it under control. And diet!

Yep. A lot of folks have recommended the tart Cherry Juice before. Swear by it too. I just started like the taste of it.

Someone needs to invent a pill form of that stuff.

This is the first Gout Attack I’ve had since dropping 40 lbs.

Down to 200 from 240.
There may be a pill. Next time you’re at HEB go look! They got all kinds of pills
Neal,

Yep. A lot of folks have recommended the tart Cherry Juice before. Swear by it too. I just started like the taste of it.

Someone needs to invent a pill form of that stuff.

This is the first Gout Attack I’ve had since dropping 40 lbs.

Down to 200 from 240.

Lol

I see a cock starting grow out of your forehead

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Wicked schidt...
You'll feel like you're twenty years old again and with a bad attitude. ....

LMAO ! Truth... I took a couple courses of prednisone last year after my surgery. Yeah I was feeling pretty good as well. My daughter, an FNP, told me that Prednisone was one of the most "requested" drugs in her practice. Old geezers get jacked up and feeling good while taking prednisone. And then come back begging for more when the script runs out. Just like junkies hooked on pain pills...
😳😬🤠 Thanks Slum. I’ll have to send somebody to Wally World to get me some Tart Cherry Extract pills.
There may be a pill. Next time you’re at HEB go look! They got all kinds of pills

Yep. Slum found me some too. I’ll check HEB next time I buy groceries.
Increased water intake is a must for flushing uric acid through and out of kidneys. Should be a daily routine forever.
And lay off the 4 lbs of fois gras and 7 bottles of Chateauneuf-du- pape every night you playboy!!

Geez!!
Originally Posted by Rossimp
Increased water intake is a must for flushing uric acid through and out of kidneys. Should be a daily routine forever.

Yep. I need to do a better job on that too. Too much Iced Tea and Dr Pepper here lately.
Fried liver and gizzards from Buc-ee’s is your problem
I've dealt with gout for 20 years. you can (sortof) control it with diet, but if you have hyperuricemia, you're always living right on the edge, almost ANYTHING can set it off and there's not a doctor on the planet that can tell you exactly what will set it off, it varies by person. My Uric acid would be off the chart without allopurinol and Colchicine. all the NSAIDS in the world won't help (I have had pretty much all of them from plain old Motrin to indomethacin and beyond) Prednisone is a corticosteroid, I tried that too, it took a week or more to get over that flare up, maybe it was just me but that was garbage. The best thing, seriously is Allopurinol and Colchicine, just keep taking it... you stop taking it, you're fooked.
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Wicked schidt...

LMAO ! Truth... I took a couple courses of prednisone last year after my surgery. Yeah I was feeling pretty good as well. My daughter, an FNP, told me that Prednisone was one of the most "requested" drugs in her practice. Old geezers get jacked up and feeling good while taking prednisone. And then come back begging for more when the script runs out. Just like junkies hooked on pain pills...

🤣

I asked my MD for a maintenance does of the stuff. He laughed and said if it didn't have all of the nasty side effects he'd be taking it full time too. It works pretty well for treating the bronchitis I get once in a while also.
And lay off the 4 lbs of fois gras and 7 bottles of Chateauneuf-du- pape every night you playboy!!

Geez!!

LOL. M&M Peanuts and Dr Pepper for me. And too many Whataburger’s. I’m living high on the hog ! 😬
I read one of the side possible effects is psychosis.

Geez!!

LOL. M&M Peanuts and Dr Pepper for me. And too many Whataburger’s. I’m living high on the hog ! 😬

Get down low on the mule!
Prednisone is what I've been prescribed in the past. Use caution if you're on any blood thinners.

I've used tart cherry juice to combat gout attacks with reasonable results.
Fried liver and gizzards from Buc-ee’s is your problem

None of those here Slum. Probably the closest is Austin or Dallas. And I don’t go to those Libertard Schittholes.
It will help get rid of the gout. Went through it last week.
Wicked schidt...

🤣

I asked my MD for a maintenance does of the stuff. He laughed and said if it didn't have all of the nasty side effects he'd be taking it full time too. It works pretty well for treating the bronchitis I get once in a while also.

You guys aren't kidding! I was diagnosed with sarcoidosis at end of 2020. Started a heavy dose of 50mg daily and it kicked ass in getting me lined back out. I'm down to a measly 5mg daily now, and I had no side effects other than I wanted to camp out by the refrigerator. Was down to 202lbs (haven't weighed that since high school), and am now back to fighting weight of 230. I feel like a million bucks. Good luck chl, I'm betting it'll do wonders for you.

As per my Brother it works almost instantly. You need to remove foods that create Uric acid.
1-2 days and gone. Works great.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Wicked schidt...

🤣

You guys aren't kidding! I was diagnosed with sarcoidosis at end of 2020. Started a heavy dose of 50mg daily and it kicked ass in getting me lined back out. I'm down to a measly 5mg daily now, and I had no side effects other than I wanted to camp out by the refrigerator. Was down to 202lbs (haven't weighed that since high school), and am now back to fighting weight of 230. I feel like a million bucks. Good luck chl, I'm betting it'll do wonders for you.

Thanks JG
And thanks to everyone else for all the encouraging replies

Just walking to the crapper is pure agony. I think I might of gotten two hours of sleep all of last night.
Prednisone is my choice for a flare up.

Indomethacin is brutal on your stomach. Colchicine is brutal on your butthole.

That said, I haven’t had a gout attack since 2007, and man I used to get them!

ULORIC!

Allopurinol kept me right on the edge of constant disaster.

Uloric is much more effective for me as a daily.
Originally Posted by strikeu
I've dealt with gout for 20 years. you can (sortof) control it with diet, but if you have hyperuricemia, you're always living right on the edge, almost ANYTHING can set it off and there's not a doctor on the planet that can tell you exactly what will set it off, it varies by person. My Uric acid would be off the chart without allopurinol and Colchicine. all the NSAIDS in the world won't help (I have had pretty much all of them from plain old Motrin to indomethacin and beyond) Prednisone is a corticosteroid, I tried that too, it took a week or more to get over that flare up, maybe it was just me but that was garbage. The best thing, seriously is Allopurinol and Colchicine, just keep taking it... you stop taking it, you're fooked.

There is the truth.
Originally Posted by RickBin
Prednisone is my choice for a flare up.

Indomethacin is brutal on your stomach. Colchicine is brutal on your butthole.

That said, I haven’t had a gout attack since 2007, and man I used to get them!

ULORIC!

Allopurinol kept me right on the edge of constant disaster.

Uloric is much more effective for me as a daily.

Yep. I was SO Glad when the Doc prescribed Prednisone.

I have enough stomach problems between gall bladder removal and being borderline IBS. 😬

Slum also mentioned Uloric. I’ll ask the Doc about getting some.
Only thing I can take what with chronic kidney issues. Indomethacin was the drug of choice but hard on kidneys. I've done colchicine (major schittz).
My buddy had a flare up a few weeks ago. Went to urgent care. They have him prednisone and indomethocin. He said it worked within a day.

We’ve both successfully used colchicine but it’s hard to work when you’re [bleep] your guts out. I don’t think colchicine really stops gout, you’re just so focused on not [bleep] yourself you forget the foot pain.
Originally Posted by JimFromTN
I was prescribed indomethacin for flare ups but it sucked. Best thing I ever took was 800 mg ibuprofen. Pain went away within an hour or so. Apparently, prednisone is supposed to work as well as ibuprofen.

If you quit taking cocks up your ass it probably wouldn’t flare up to begin with.
Originally Posted by Cheesy
My buddy had a flare up a few weeks ago. Went to urgent care. They have him prednisone and indomethocin. He said it worked within a day.

We’ve both successfully used colchicine but it’s hard to work when you’re [bleep] your guts out. I don’t think colchicine really stops gout, you’re just so focused on not [bleep] yourself you forget the foot pain.

LOL. That stuff gives me the squirts like no other Medicine.
I take 400 mg allopurinol every day, otherwise, gout would have me down and out. Good stuff, but you have to stick with it.
So far, the Prednisone The Doc prescribed is working like a miracle drug. Finally getting some relief!
Everybody’s gout is different. Ibuprofen doesn’t touch mine, indomethacin works but is hard on my belly. Pred really is a miracle drug for asthma/bronchitis and gout in my personal experience. Fwiw I’ve never had any of the side effects others not with it.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Everybody’s gout is different. Ibuprofen doesn’t touch mine, indomethacin works but is hard on my belly. Pred really is a miracle drug for asthma/bronchitis and gout in my personal experience. Fwiw I’ve never had any of the side effects others not with it.

Yep. Ibuprofen and NSAID’s wouldn’t even touch mine.
Took some this morning to see if it would help with the arthritis, noticeable improvement.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Took some this morning to see if it would help with the arthritis, noticeable improvement.

Which one Roger ?
I've never had trouble with prednisone, and quite the opposite it makes my lungs and body feel very good. I have a suspect belief that I suffer from some kind of arthritis condition because I'm racked in paid in my whole body and it's been like this since childhood. But yeah, the gout is perhaps some of the nastiest stuff to deal with besides a traumatic injury.

Which one Roger ?
Prednisone 5mg, my dad has a bunch of them that he doesn't take anymore.

Which one Roger ?

It seems to be helping with my arthritis too, Roger. Good stuff, evidently. I here the long term side effects aren’t good, though.

Hope your Dad is feeling much better !
Are you going any diet changes to stop recurrent episodes?
Originally Posted by goalie
Are you going any diet changes to stop recurrent episodes?

Yes. But this is the first “episode” I’ve had in 7 years.
Probably too many cheeseburgers. 😬

Which one Roger ?

It seems to be helping with my arthritis too, Roger. Good stuff, evidently. I here the long term side effects aren’t good, though.

Hope your Dad is feeling much better !

I read up on it and it seems a 5mg dose once a day does not usually have the side effects of taking higher doses.
I use naproxen for gout. It works very well.
chl, I know you feel good enough now to go kick somebody's asss, but please don't do it..........prednisone rocks!
each situation may differ but allopurinol regularly and very short term colchicine for flare up have helped me. Also h20 blk cherry juice blk cherries in season help keep it away.
Prednisone should be tapered off, as i Believe it severely supresses your immune system. It has been an absolute miracle for me and gout.

I believe it goes-

20 mg 4 days
15mg 4 days
10mg 4 days
5mg 4 days

First time I took it I was on crutches and couldn’t even put the slightest pressure on my ankle… took the first dose at 8pm.

Next morning I put my boot on and went to work, albeit with a limp.
Originally Posted by robertham1
Prednisone should be tapered off, as i Believe it severely supresses your immune system. It has been an absolute miracle for me and gout.

I believe it goes-

20 mg 4 days
15mg 4 days
10mg 4 days
5mg 4 days

First time I took it I was on crutches and couldn’t even put the slightest pressure on my ankle… took the first dose at 8pm.

Next morning I put my boot on and went to work, albeit with a limp.

Yep. My symptoms are all but gone after three 20 mg doses.
Doc prescribed two 20 mg pills twice daily for 5 days.
Finally slept like a baby last night.
chl, I know you feel good enough now to go kick somebody's asss, but please don't do it..........prednisone rocks!

Yep. Thanks !
Only side effect I’ve noticed so far is being more hungry. 🤠
I never took full advantage of being on roids 24/7. Maybe I am a jerk and didn’t realize it.
I never took full advantage of being on roids 24/7. Maybe I am a jerk and didn’t realize it.

I’m already a jerk, so I wouldn’t notice. 😬

That's the only side effect I had, even when on 50mg a day.
Prednisone worked fast to knock down flareups, when I had them. No flareups since my daily dose of Allopurinol was raised to 300mg. Two decades and no side effects or diet restrictions.

That's the only side effect I had, even when on 50mg a day.

I’m craving a Double Meat Double Cheese Whataburger! 🤠
Day 3 of the Prednisone prescription and I feel 100 % better !
Right on chl. Good to hear.
Some good stuff here- thanks folks. How hard is it to get a script for Allupriniol or Uloric- or prednisone for that matter.? I almost never see a doc but....turning 59 this week.

I been back to drinking a lot of water, avoiding shell fish, trout and a few other fish and not loading up on red meat every day. Was hoping Venison a better option but...

For what it is worth this has been the best Tart Cherry Juice I have tasted so far. Much better than some others. Organic Pretty pleasant.
[Linked Image]

Did some digging and a little disappointed in that it is from Concentrate BUT they make a non-organic version that evidently is not.
I have had severe gout for about 20 years. The best relief from an attack I have had is a cortizone injection directly into the affected joint followed up by a short course of prednisone. It knocks it right out. I have been attack free for a while now that my allopurinol was raised to 300 mg.
Originally Posted by naiche
I have had severe gout for about 20 years. The best relief from an attack I have had is a cortizone injection directly into the affected joint followed up by a short course of prednisone. It knocks it right out. I have been attack free for a while now that my allopurinol was raised to 300 mg.

I guess a shot in the big toe couldn’t hurt that much worse than the gout pain. 😬

I cut whole wheat out of my diet - no more gout.
Great thread, but as shown, everyone has different reactions. My doc initially put me on Indomethacin, which triggered constant tinnitus. Thanks doc. Starting doing my own research and found Colchicine through my pharmacy on Mauritus. Started with 5mg twice a day and its been easy going since. Oh, and losing 50 pounds didn't hurt! I don't eat a lot of beef, try to curb the pork intake, and just stay away from manufactured sugars.

I had an uncle who suffered from gout for years with no relief. Poor fella, must have been the devil's own curse for him. He was 6-4 and weighed 300#.
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
Great thread, but as shown, everyone has different reactions. My doc initially put me on Indomethacin, which triggered constant tinnitus. Thanks doc. Starting doing my own research and found Colchicine through my pharmacy on Mauritus. Started with 5mg twice a day and its been easy going since. Oh, and losing 50 pounds didn't hurt! I don't eat a lot of beef, try to curb the pork intake, and just stay away from manufactured sugars.

I had an uncle who suffered from gout for years with no relief. Poor fella, must have been the devil's own curse for him. He was 6-4 and weighed 300#.

Yep. Losing 40 lbs severely reduced my Gout attacks.
This was the first one I’d had in about 7 years.

Again, The Prednisone has worked miracles!
No pain or swelling after 4 days and back to walking normally.
CHL, Glad to hear that you are feeling better. Growing old ain't for sissies !
I had a bad gout attack a month or so ago. Doctor prescribed prednisone (20 mg twice a day) and a anti-inflamatory that started with eco (500 Mg twice a day). Within a couple of days I was much better. There was also a cream that was prescribed but I found that cream with CBD worked better.
© 24hourcampfire