Home
Posted By: jnyork Kali trucking restrictions? - 10/15/21
Somewhere in the last couple of days I read a short couple of sentences about the backup of cargo in the shipping ports in California, it had to do with supposedly a California law that prohibited owner/operator trucks from loading out at the ports, thereby contributing to the problem. Anyone know anything about this, maybe a link to a news article or some other detailed info on this? Find it hard to believe, but then, it IS California.
There is no shortage, it is all a fabricated "crisis". There are ships full of goods circling off both coasts.
The politicians kramed threw a law that made Uber, and lyft drivers become employees. As usual there was tons of crap in that bill. I don't know the details, but that is the cause.
Originally Posted by jnyork
Somewhere in the last couple of days I read a short couple of sentences about the backup of cargo in the shipping ports in California, it had to do with supposedly a California law that prohibited owner/operator trucks from loading out at the ports, thereby contributing to the problem. Anyone know anything about this, maybe a link to a news article or some other detailed info on this? Find it hard to believe, but then, it IS California.

I don't know the name of the bill , but my understanding is they have outlawed independent contractors, that are kept track of with a 1099 every year.
They are forcing companies to hire them as employees and pay benefits and payroll tax's. So as you can guess they said fugg it and left the state
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: Kali trucking restrictions? - 10/15/21
https://landline.media/california-trucking-association-ab5-case-still-pending/
Posted By: Dutch Re: Kali trucking restrictions? - 10/15/21
Two issues contribute to the issue. One, CA has flat outlawed any truck older than a 2011 (i.e. pre-DEF). Historically, new trucss go on the long haul (OTR) circuit, and when they get to about half a million miles or so, they tend to go to local companies for pickup and delivery work, containers, agriculture. construction, etc. There they spent the rest of their life running a few miles a day. CARB eliminated more than half of the trucking fleet with that regulation. And right now, you can't buy a new truck. I've been trying to order a new Kenworth, and it looks like it might be 2013 before I get it.

Second, AB5, which prohibits owner operators. This is a common legal construct in trucking where the driver owns the truck, but "leases on" his truck to a corporation who handles registration, insurance, dispatch, billing, etc. Doing the union's bidding, AB5 outlawed this arrangement, and many, many truck owners simply "moved" to Nevada, Oregon, Arizona, etc, and continued driving outside of CA.
Posted By: jdm953 Re: Kali trucking restrictions? - 10/15/21
Originally Posted by reivertom
There is no shortage, it is all a fabricated "crisis". There are ships full of goods circling off both coasts.

Watched a video taken. a couple days ago. Docks in California are stacked full of containers.
Originally Posted by Dutch
Two issues contribute to the issue. One, CA has flat outlawed any truck older than a 2011 (i.e. pre-DEF).
Yep - a OTR driver friend told me that too..
Historically, new trucss go on the long haul (OTR) circuit, and when they get to about half a million miles or so, they tend to go to local companies for pickup and delivery work, containers, agriculture. construction, etc. There they spent the rest of their life running a few miles a day. CARB eliminated more than half of the trucking fleet with that regulation. And right now, you can't buy a new truck. I've been trying to order a new Kenworth, and it looks like it might be 2013 before I get it.
You're late - it was ready eight years ago, and they sold it to someone else.. laugh laugh
Posted By: Dutch Re: Kali trucking restrictions? - 10/15/21
Originally Posted by Redneck
You're late - it was ready eight years ago, and they sold it to someone else.. laugh laugh

Doh!

sure sign I'm getting OLD....... !!!!!
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Kali trucking restrictions? - 10/15/21
Originally Posted by Twopatch
The politicians kramed threw a law that made Uber, and lyft drivers become employees. As usual there was tons of crap in that bill. I don't know the details, but that is the cause.

Your truck has to be inspected and brought up to the 2020 standards or you cannot operate in California. The biggest issue seems to be that there is no such thing as an independent trucker in California. You must be an employee and not a contractor. It seems that many of the drivers that hauls out of the ports at one time were independents who contracted with the likes of Walmart, Target and Home Depot to carry containers from the docks to distribution warehouses across California. Since so many folks have moved out of California there are not enough truck drivers for the big corporations to hire. It's not that the truck drivers seem to be lazy but they no longer live in California.

Go to page 7 for the abbreviated version of the rules. Trucks built before 2006 are not allowed and anything after 2007 has to have the modifications that comply with the 2020 California law. It seems the California Supreme Court has upheld these laws and the U.S. Supreme Court refused to review them.

https://www.aqmd.gov/docs/default-s...lmington/handouts-may9-2019.pdf?sfvrsn=8
Before people start blaming truckers for our current supply chain problems coming out of California ports. Yes, some news reports say the California port situation is caused by a driver shortage.

Not so fast: It is in part caused by a California Truck Ban which says all trucks must be 2011 or newer and a law called AB 5 which prohibits Owner Operators.

Traditionally the ports have been served by Owner Operators (non union). California has now banned Owner Operators.

Long term, truckers in California are not investing in new trucks because California has a law that makes them illegal in 2035. The requirement is to purchase electric trucks which do not exist.

And in the words of Paul Harvey, “Now you know the rest of the story”

BUSINESS
CARB ( California Air Resources Board) has started to blocking certain trucks’ DMV registrations in 2020

Carriers domiciled in California with trucks older than 2011 model, or using engines manufactured before 2010, will need to meet the Board’s new Truck and Bus Regulation beginning in 2020 or their vehicles will be blocked from registration with the state’s DMV, the state has said.

The new “health-based requirements” will need to be met before a driver is allowed to register his or her truck through the Department of Motor Vehicles, CARB says. A new enforcement tool used by the DMV beginning in 2020 will automatically block 2010 and older trucks from registration.

Then there's the $5+ a gallon diesel prices in California. Many truckers simply aren't going there and paying those prices.

Wake up people your $20 gallon of milk is coming with your $10 loaf of bread.

Copied from Jake Rogers
Excellent article here
Originally Posted by Morewood

Please read^^^^^
Quit bitching when you don't know what the hell you are talking about... 2007 trucks and newer have no restrictions until after Jan 2023, at that time they will need a 2010 or newer engine. Older trucks have until this year been able to operate with installed exhaust scrubbers.

The law has been in effect since 2008, NOTHING NEW HERE... and has been challenged many times... Also it effects all trucks entering California.

After 2023, all trucks must have a 2010 or newer engine. That's it.

Now for those of you that haven't been in the trucking industry, most insurance companies have far stricter requirements as to the age of the trucks that they will insure for interstate transport.

So go fly a kite, you'd have better luck, just do it during an electrical storm, a big one!

Phil
Hell, if you want to talk about rules and regulations that effect commercial drivers and the shortage of. The 3 biggest and all of them are more than 20 years old are (and I might be slightly off about the dates)...

1983 B.A.C was changed from 0.08 to 0.04 for commercial drivers.

1992 federal government standardized rules and regulations, and a drivers record followed you from state to state.

2001 point system was changed, and commercial drivers were no longer allowed points even in their personal car without it counting against their commercial license.

Combined, experienced drivers were hard to keep.

Phil
Posted By: Dutch Re: Kali trucking restrictions? - 10/16/21
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Quit bitching when you don't know what the hell you are talking about... 2007 trucks and newer have no restrictions until after Jan 2023, at that time they will need a 2010 or newer engine. Older trucks have until this year been able to operate with installed exhaust scrubbers.

The law has been in effect since 2008, NOTHING NEW HERE... and has been challenged many times... Also it effects all trucks entering California.

Now for those of you that haven't been in the trucking industry, most insurance companies have far stricter requirements as to the age of the trucks that they will insure for interstate transport.

So go fly a kite, you'd have better luck, just do it during an electrical storm, a big one!

Phil

A little knowledge is a frightful thing.

Trucks entering the Port of Los Angeles and Long Beach must comply with the “clean truck program”,

https://polb.com/environment/clean-trucks/#program-details

From the horses mouth:

“Commencing on Oct. 1, 2018, any new trucks registered in the Port Drayage Truck Registry (PDTR) must be model year 2014 or newer. Drayage trucks registered in the PDTR prior to Oct. 1, 2018, that are current on their annual registration fees as of Sept. 30, 2018 and are compliant with state law may continue to operate at the Port of Long Beach.”

So, Mr. Greyghost, you are relegated to irrelevance, once again. Please refrain from talking about trucking, your ignorance is irritating.
Hell, if you want to talk about rules and regulations that effect commercial drivers and the shortage of. The 3 biggest and all of them are more than 20 years old are (and I might be slightly off about the dates)...

1992 federal government standardized rules and regulations, and a drivers record followed you from state to state.

2001 point system was changed, and commercial drivers were no longer allowed points even in their personal car without it counting against their commercial license.

Phil
So not having drunks drive semis and only allowing them to have one driver license so they can't spread their points around to multiple states is a bad thing?

Phil

[bleep] off.

As a former driver who ran 48 plus Canada, lots of local stuff and still maintains his license. Your examples suck donkey balls.

#1. Anyone who can't stay away from driving drunk sure as hell
isn't worth much to the profession.

#2. If your driving habits are so bad you need licences in multiple states
to keep a good one? Again. POS driver.
Got a bunch of T shirts. Never came close on my license.

#3. Car incidents shouldn't cou t against the CDL . But they do. So any
decent driver drives a car like his truck.

#4. My hypocrisy illustrates this one.
5/07, 4am, going to work in a car. Pulled over for 70+mph in a 45 construction zone.
On seeing my CDL, and learning of my gasolene hauling job, i was
given the gift of a "Failure to heed highway warning signs" fine.
$100. No points.

Cops are hesitant to put point on CDL holders licenses.

As to Cali and trucking, their crap goes back many decades.
Their truck inspection and fines were so bad that many drivers and
small companies wouldn't go there. And that goes back to the 80's.
Gayghost at least you’re consistent. You are constantly stupid and wrong every time. Fugking dumbass.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Kali trucking restrictions? - 10/16/21
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

[bleep] off.

As a former driver who ran 48 plus Canada, lots of local stuff and still maintains his license. Your examples suck donkey balls.

#1. Anyone who can't stay away from driving drunk sure as hell
isn't worth much to the profession.

#2. If your driving habits are so bad you need licences in multiple states
to keep a good one? Again. POS driver.
Got a bunch of T shirts. Never came close on my license.

#3. Car incidents shouldn't cou t against the CDL . But they do. So any
decent driver drives a car like his truck.

#4. My hypocrisy illustrates this one.
5/07, 4am, going to work in a car. Pulled over for 70+mph in a 45 construction zone.
On seeing my CDL, and learning of my gasolene hauling job, i was
given the gift of a "Failure to heed highway warning signs" fine.
$100. No points.

Cops are hesitant to put point on CDL holders licenses.

As to Cali and trucking, their crap goes back many decades.
Their truck inspection and fines were so bad that many drivers and
small companies wouldn't go there. And that goes back to the 80's.

As a fellow former driver and current trucking company owner, I agree with all your points.

To expand a little on the NATIONAL problem with capacity, it is in part related to a couple of changes in regulations.

One, the whole Diesel engine “after treatment” disaster. Due to the stupidly short timeline that the engine manufacturers had to come up with something that worked, essentially ALL diesel trucks built between 2007 and 2016 were frightfully unreliable. Average longevity of the engines went from close to a million miles to barely more than half that. Overhaul costs, at the same time nearly doubled due to the added complexity and additional parts. Many trucking companies went broke, many resorted to rebuilding older trucks over and over again. New truck sales plummeted. International Truck would have gone out of business if they had not been bought by VW.

All that to say that we had a hardware shortage coming into this boom, and it was due to .GOV.

Second, the requirement of electronic log books on commercial vehicles. This cut driver productivity by as much as 25% in the name of safety, but the numbers, incidentally show an increase in accidents after the mandate.

Third, last year’s requirement that drivers must register with the federal Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse, and companies must check their drivers records every year. This pushed an estimated 50,000 drivers out of the industry. I’m not going to say that the industry should tolerate potheads or drunks, but there probably should be an expiration date on offenses, like with points on a driving record.

All this supply side reduction by the government, together with record freight offered is resulting in today’s sky high rates and capacity issues seen nationwide. Stack the additional government idiocy unique to Ca (CARB and AB5) on top of that and you have the perfect storm.
Originally Posted by reivertom

California environmental laws are screwing the truckers. Bitemes total shut down you never heard about will be blamed on Trump. You will be told plenty by the MSM how fughked we'd be if Biteme didnt order 24 hour work unloading the ships. There will be no 24 hour unloading of ships. Its 12 hrs/day and iirc 5 days a week. The guys running the cranes are scarce and make big bucks and dont work nights.

It will be, as Biteme said, a dark winter. Stock up on everything. Now.

This is the deep state cabal destroying the US economy, of which US mfg has already been destroyed and moved to Chyna.

Now. Chyna is going under.

Who will supply our needs? It wont be Santa Claus this year. Biteme and his deep state Puppetmasters have locked Santa down.

We are fughked if Trump doesnt get back in soon.

Phil

Come on, tell us the MSM and your BS. Its Trumps fault. Biden is shipping foreign muslims and Central Americans in who wont need the jab to be hired on and truck those goods to us stupid, incapable, clueless American crackers, right?
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by jnyork

I don't know the name of the bill , but my understanding is they have outlawed independent contractors, that are kept track of with a 1099 every year.
They are forcing companies to hire them as employees and pay benefits and payroll tax's. So as you can guess they said fugg it and left the state

This.
Originally Posted by Redneck
Two issues contribute to the issue. One, CA has flat outlawed any truck older than a 2011 (i.e. pre-DEF).
Yep - a OTR driver friend told me that too..
Historically, new trucss go on the long haul (OTR) circuit, and when they get to about half a million miles or so, they tend to go to local companies for pickup and delivery work, containers, agriculture. construction, etc. There they spent the rest of their life running a few miles a day. CARB eliminated more than half of the trucking fleet with that regulation. And right now, you can't buy a new truck. I've been trying to order a new Kenworth, and it looks like it might be 2013 before I get it.

All this is the NWO dimocrap and Rino agenda to hamstring the US economy and let the Chynese become the King of the Hill.

Phil

You stupid POS. Look what you corksuckers did to Detroit, NY, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Baltimore.

You and your treasonous deep state NWO cabal party and dumbfughk useful idiot buds are going down.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Brother Jag, the stupidity of the left is breathtaking..... our country is in deep doodoo
One word “Democrats “

But at least Biden has a plan to fix it laugh
As I said you dumb [bleep] don't know what the hell you are talking about. The drayage regulations only involved trucks actually entering the ports themselves. But it also involved every aspect of the ports and all the personnel working in the ports. Nobody could enter the ports without their TWIC card period and that was a federal security investigation clearance of everyone including all truck drivers. Few that applied were actually cleared. And it was strict and easy to loose the privilege's.

The OP was asking about California restrictions.

The ports newer requirements were put into place after 11 Sep, 2001, these are the requirements on the drivers themselves. But it also involved all the ships to, any ship in port had to completely shut down and go on dock power. They could no longer run their engines while docked.

But that also brings up the trucks no idle laws, and I don't remember when that was put into place right off, late 90's if I remember right.

As to your all's stupid remarks about those 3 law changes I mentioned. you all are some really dumb [bleep]! Most of you couldn't hold a CDL for 2 weeks, much less depend on one for your living....

Up until I retired I held every class license the state had including every hazmat and emergency response certification they offered so go [bleep] your selves.

Phil
As I said you dumb [bleep] don't know what the hell you are talking about. The drayage regulations only involved trucks actually entering the ports themselves. But it also involved every aspect of the ports and all the personnel working in the ports. Nobody could enter the ports without their TWIC card period and that was a federal security investigation clearance of everyone including all truck drivers. Few that applied were actually cleared. And it was strict and easy to loose the privilege's.

The ports newer requirements were put into place after 11 Sep, 2001, these are the requirements on the drivers themselves. But it also involved all the ships to, any ship in port had to completely shut down and go on dock power. They could no longer run their engines while docked.

But that also brings up the trucks no idle laws, and I don't remember when that was put into place right off, late 90's if I remember right.

As to your all's stupid remarks about those 3 law changes I mentioned. you all are some really dumb [bleep]! Most of you couldn't hold a CDL for 2 weeks, much less depend on one for your living....
CA
Up until I retired I held every class license the state had including every hazmat and emergency response certification they offered so go [bleep] your selves.

Phil

I still hold any / all license. But still not a truck [bleep] ... for own personal work and yes you a stupid [bleep] .. rule #1 should driver can read / wright/ speak English .. [bleep] CA
........many resorted to rebuilding older trucks over and over again.
That's what my friend is doing - just had his engine rebuilt for the second time. He has over 3 million miles on the truck and sez he can rebuilt/maintain it as long as he wants to in order to prevent getting one with all the electronic/emissions crap on it... He only runs three states - and CA is NOT one of 'em.. smile
Posted By: Dutch Re: Kali trucking restrictions? - 10/17/21

OK, let's play again. The OP asked what Kali regulations affected the hold up at the Kali ports, specifically.

Note, there are no significant delays at other ports around the nation, other than slight delays due to steam ship lines adding stops at ports other than LA / LB. Freight is moving out of Portland, Tacoma, Seattle, Corpus, Houston, South Louisiana, Jacksonville, Savanna, Virginia, New York/ New Jersey, Charleston...... They are all moving containers as needed. Drayage prices are stupid high, but freight is moving.

Now, why is LA and even Oakland (where this whole mess really started) different? It's not TWIC. Number one, if your buddies can't get a TWIC card, you hang out with a bunch of losers. A TWIC card is stupid easy. Basically, if you are allowed to own a firearm, you get a TWIC card. Try hiring drivers that qualify for entry into Canada -- that'll narrow your pool down WAY more. It's not the national laws. If it were the national laws, all the ports would be plugged up, and they aren't. It's just California that's special.

The problem laws are, as pointed out, CARB / Clean Truck and AB5. They restricted the available trucks AND the number of available drivers. They put ideology before common sense, and in the process fuqed the nation into recession. The unions asked for it, and the unions got it. The unions OWN it -- but ironically it's not the guys on the gantry cranes. They don't have a place to put the stupid containers, because there's no trucks to haul the containers off.

Phil

Aren't you special! Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?

Here's a hint. You were a union driver. You wouldn't last a month as an owner operator, let alone trying to run a trucking company. You'd blow your brains out the first time you'd have to make payroll.
Dutch, always enjoy your informed perspective on these matters. Just think people like Phil are running the show.... terrifying and no wonder our country is in peril
Hell, if Dutch knew anything about trucking he wouldn't be posting such BS...

California handles 80% of west coast TEU's period.

Number of TEU's and vessels handled have increased every year except 2018/2019 (which saw a small decline) for the last 20 year's

TEU's handled have nearly doubled over the last 10 years, and 2 months in 2021 have seen record numbers.

Maybe, one should look at the Import/export numbers instead... The US isn't exporting with imports being nearly 5 to 1 over exports in TEU's

Truckers must also handle all those empty's which also take up facilities and storage space!

Phil
That is a hell of a record, it can take a driver 45 to 50 years to clock 3 million miles. Most never do, and more than 10 years for a team to put that on a truck driving 24/7/365 if that were legally possible... and to do it in just 3 states that really is something. It would have to be an independent hauling cheap, because no broker or insurance would allow it. That is one of the beast of trucking, they want their loads to arrive on time and in good shape. They don't entertain break downs, and damaged or spoiled loads.

Phil
That is a hell of a record, it can take a driver 45 to 50 years to clock 3 million miles. Most never do, and more than 10 years for a team to put that on a truck driving 24/7/365 if that were legally possible... and to do it in just 3 states that really is something. It would have to be an independent hauling cheap, because no broker or insurance would allow it. That is one of the beast of trucking, they want their loads to arrive on time and in good shape. They don't entertain break downs, and damaged or spoiled loads.

Phil

At 50 years that's only 60k a year. Not exactly hard to do.

I would bet there are a lot of guys doing double or more than that every year.
Posted By: dubePA Re: Kali trucking restrictions? - 10/17/21
Live in an area where two Interstates intersect in PA, so heavy volumes of semi traffic is something we deal with on a regular basis. They say there's a shortage of drivers, but you'd never notice it around here, by the numbers of trucks on the roads?

One stretch of I-81 (three lanes) is often backed up around afternoon rush hour periods. Usually the south bound side. I cross over it almost daily and can see over a mile of that interstate in both directions from the overpass. About 75% of the traffic standing still when there's a back up, is comprised of semis and that hasn't changed in the past several years.

There's a Norfolk Southern container yard to the east, not far from where I-81 and I-83 intersect. No noticeable decline in truck traffic in and out of that yard. Or long trains in the area of containers moving through.

So if the big issue is west coast ports and Kommifornia regs, it isn't showing up here in the east. But since the west coast is where all the Chinese and other Asian crap is flowing into, it makes sense that is where the problem is.

I've heard several OTR truckers grumble about CA regs for some time. Most have no desire to go there if they don't have to. Most of them run the eastern seaboard and some midwest runs, so not something they have to abide.

Phil

You really are an idiot.
Just stop. Every post shows more ignorance.

In the 1990's I drove a 315hp truck limited to 62mph.
With a recorder that forced me to be under 57mph, 90% of the time.
I averaged 3100 paid miles/wk.
It was accepted at that time that the HHMG miles were up to 10% under actual. Considering post office to post office calculations don't even reflect load requirements, and the miles sometime driven within one city, I drove a fair amount more than 3100.

Later my wife and I were committed to being able to run 1100/day in a 350hp
truck with the same speed limitations. We didn't average that, obviously.

Changed jobs. We got in a real truck.
460 Cummins, 13 over, just shy of Tripple digit capable.
We didn't drive unusually fast. Just traffic flow speed.

We were running 5k paid in 5 1/2 days.

bedford pa, (home)
Wythville Va
Winchester Va
Trenton NJ
Kansas City, drop loaded trailer pick up MT racks.

Back to

Wythville,
Winchester,
Trenton,
Kansas City,
Bedford for a short weekend

If you can do math,
That's over 150k solo counting 2 weeks vacation. But leaving out the unpaid miles.
About 20 years for 3 million. Solo.

The team mileage is closer to your numbers, except, we only worked 5 days.

When you take into account Service Hours, and the proportion of which is actual driving time. Traffic and other job related time not driving.... loading , off loading, finding a load. and the simple fact that most drivers don't make a career out of it. You'd start to under stand why mileage doesn't add up all that fast necessarily.

Then believe it or not most driving jobs are not just driving. In my case I would maybe work 14 to 16 hours or more, and might only drive 200 or 300 that day. But that would be taking machines apart, loading, delivering, off loading then placing and reassembling the machines. Then again some day's i might drive the limit. Hell some day's I could stay within a 100 mile radius an do 2,3, or 4 separate jobs and still drive some 600 miles, Other day's I might be operating equipment and not do any driving at all.

But did that pretty regularly for some 45 years.

Phil
So in summary we have regulated our selves to death.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Kali trucking restrictions? - 10/17/21

Friend who is a career driver for a local independent trucking outfit just the other day said this about trucking and per trucking into CA:

"The media keeps talking and reporting about a trucker shortage being part of the problem with getting cargo ships unloaded …. What they don’t report is that the cost of fuel is over $2.00 higher than the national average , the environmental laws that prohibit certain trailers into the state , and the new law passed in September which prohibits owner operators from working in the state . Truckers don’t really want to go to California because they have too many regulations against the trucking industry."
When you take into account Service Hours, and the proportion of which is actual driving time. Traffic and other job related time not driving.... loading , off loading, finding a load. and the simple fact that most drivers don't make a career out of it. You'd start to under stand why mileage doesn't add up all that fast necessarily.

Then believe it or not most driving jobs are not just driving. In my case I would maybe work 14 to 16 hours or more, and might only drive 200 or 300 that day. But that would be taking machines apart, loading, delivering, off loading then placing and reassembling the machines. Then again some day's i might drive the limit. Hell some day's I could stay within a 100 mile radius an do 2,3, or 4 separate jobs and still drive some 600 miles, Other day's I might be operating equipment and not do any driving at all.

Phil

So you weren't a truck driver, you just drove a truck as part of your main job.

Phil

That's amusing. I had one driver do 2850 miles this week. Started work on Wednesday at 5 AM, came home this morning at 7 AM. He could have made it this morning at 1, but he prefers to not drive at night (and I prefer that, too).

Last week was the same. Next week will be the same. Every mile legal, electronic log books. Two live loads, three drops (Portland, Ontario and Seattle) on the first load, five drops (Las Vegas) on the second.

That truck is three years and three months old and has 387,000 miles on it, all by the same driver. That driver is now at a million miles, within a few miles, anyway, and he's been driving for 7 years.

In other words, a non union driver does in about 1/3rd of the time what a union driver does. I certainly appreciate your testimony to illustrate that point.
Dutch,
Been out of the game awhile.
But back in the day Big R and ABF drivers ran right around
2800-3100/week. Depending on bid and boards and all tgat crap.

The union card didn't slow them down.
Darn sure didn't hurt their pocketbook at about 25% above non union.

Would have went there, but the unions aren't nice to new drivers.
And I wasn't going to play their games. Plus, I was 100 mikes from
any big terminal.
Posted By: ribka Re: Kali trucking restrictions? - 10/17/21

thanks for the insight on trucking

Phil is dumber than I initially thought.

Phil

That's amusing. I had one driver do 2850 miles this week. Started work on Wednesday at 5 AM, came home this morning at 7 AM. He could have made it this morning at 1, but he prefers to not drive at night (and I prefer that, too).

Last week was the same. Next week will be the same. Every mile legal, electronic log books. Two live loads, three drops (Portland, Ontario and Seattle) on the first load, five drops (Las Vegas) on the second.

That truck is three years and three months old and has 387,000 miles on it, all by the same driver. That driver is now at a million miles, within a few miles, anyway, and he's been driving for 7 years.

In other words, a non union driver does in about 1/3rd of the time what a union driver does. I certainly appreciate your testimony to illustrate that point.

Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Dutch,
Been out of the game awhile.
But back in the day Big R and ABF drivers ran right around
2800-3100/week. Depending on bid and boards and all tgat crap.

The union card didn't slow them down.
Darn sure didn't hurt their pocketbook at about 25% above non union.

Would have went there, but the unions aren't nice to new drivers.
And I wasn't going to play their games. Plus, I was 100 mikes from
any big terminal.

What I know about the LTL line haul guys is that the high bid guys are indeed making bank, doing their 600 miles per shift like you say, and many of them grossing well into six figures. WELL into six figures, with full bennies. Even the non-union outfits.

Of course the P&D guys are on a completely different work / pay schedule.

Problem is, as you say, that the low bid guys often work only a day or two a week on the crap runs and are making peanuts. Especially today, they can move to any mega and bring in 50 to 70K a year, and make a lateral move to something like cryo or dedicated for a more regular schedule and even more pay.

Some still prefer to stick it out and get on the gravy runs through seniority, and that's their choice, good on them.
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Phil

So you weren't a truck driver, you just drove a truck as part of your main job.

#longhaullife
Nobody said they couldn't, but how many are going to do that every week and make a life long career out of it... its a very, very small percentage. And yes running a team you can pile up mileage on trucks, and run them to death. Most won't last 10 years... and those that people want to keep repairing aren't going to get the good paying jobs. And as far as your union BS assumption again you don't know what the hell you are talking about. I won't go over the various speed limits, I know Oregon just raised theirs, Washington I'm not up to date on, and as I'm retired now couldn't care less!

Also Diesel on state averages is about $1.10 higher in California than other states not $2.00 in fact the difference between the lowest and the highest is about $1.17 a gallon higher, and while fuel tax is part of the difference. We know you all don't want to compare the miles of roadway in the various states.

Phil

Nobody said they couldn't, but how many are going to do that every week and make a life long career out of it... its a very, very small percentage. And yes running a team you can pile up mileage on trucks, and run them to death. Most won't last 10 years... and those that people want to keep repairing aren't going to get the good paying jobs. And as far as your union BS assumption again you don't know what the hell you are talking about. I won't go over the various speed limits, I know Oregon just raised theirs, Washington I'm not up to date on, and as I'm retired now couldn't care less!

Also Diesel on state averages is about $1.10 higher in California than other states not $2.00 in fact the difference between the lowest and the highest is about $1.17 a gallon higher, and while fuel tax is part of the difference. We know you all don't want to compare the miles of roadway in the various states.

Phil

How is it that you can be so consistently wrong about everything?

Is it a concerted effort on your part?
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Kali trucking restrictions? - 10/17/21
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
So in summary we have regulated our selves to death.

This pretty well sums up what has happened.
Regulated, more just common sense... and yes I have brokered loads and arranged shipping. Do you think anyone is going to put a multi million load on a 10 or 20 year old truck and just hopes it will make it cross country? Not going to happen. And in my years working I never had a problem finding independent truckers with newer equipment. And the very first thing done was inspection of registration and maintenance records along with insurance papers. I've also refused to load trucks sent out to me by brokers too!

Phil

Phil

70 in Idaho. 80 in Utah. 65 in Oregon, 60 in WA. Driver is making, with accessory pay, 75K per year, with benefits, home three days and nights a week, minimum. In rural Idaho.

You really think a high school dropout is going to quit that gig? Or, more accurately, do you think his wife is going to let him quit that gig?
There's a lot more to it than wanting to and or doing it. And as I said those that do are a very small percentage. I take it you work for a company, how often do they replace equipment and what year is your current truck?

Phil
[Linked Image from encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com]
People like Phil, as a wise man once said... are always wrong but never in doubt.... they go through life this way, amazing
Originally Posted by irfubar
People like Phil, as a wise man once said... are always wrong but never in doubt.... they go through life this way, amazing

Yeah, Dutch is just a wage earner....and there are no truck drivers that get more than 8 miles a day.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
[Linked Image from encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com]

I give up.

"those convinced against their will, are of the same opinion, still".

Phil

Dummazz.
Your brain has been rotted from all the California/liberal dumbfuuk bullschit.
You should shut up and let adults with fully active brains do the talking around here.
JFC the level of dumfuuk you display paired with your unbelievable level of superiority just makes you easily one of the least accurate assessors of truth on this board.
Congratulations?
WTF is this thread about? Phil is a kuunt? Yes.

Last couple of weeks, very EZ five day 2950 mile circuit. Gravy. Readily do 3600 or more within the 70 hour/8 day cycle. Readily.

Am four months into it with this outfit. Came on with a weekly salary actually, to see how it'd shake out. Friday morning I decided I had seen enough, made a calculation to arrive at a figure, they have agreed and today I am up a5 least15%. Can honestly say that I will easily earn double what the local rock gig in 2018 paid.... And a grand a month more than the last line-haul gig. Compensation for work is one thing. Compensation for the life, is another. This outfit does not expect me to reset away from home. Golden, and it works for now.

There's literally millions of Filipinos that would bring huge improvement to their family's circumstances by driving truck here and our kuunty government does not, ttbomk, allow it. Every difficulty we have is due to the lack of an America First agenda. It's all horsechit.
[bleep] you all...

Here's one of the best nation wide trucking reports. About page 13 you'' find some of the states I've been talking about... Again this is nation wide not strictly California.

Link

Average mileage put on a tractor/trailer rig is 93,000 miles annually.

Average equipment replacement is at 600,000 miles or 7 years.

It also shows that few of the trucking bottle necks are in California....

Phil
Man, you really need to quit quoting statistics if you don't understand them.

Table 1 of your link shows the statistics of the respondents to the survey vs the US industry.

Among the respondents, the truckload carriers are under represented by 27%
Other / Specialized carriers are over represented by 32%.

Last time I took statistics, if your sample is off by 30%, your numbers aren't worth the ink to print them.
Poor Phil is gasping for air around the Sunday morning cock.
Haha!

Phil is an expert! In rimjobs.
Posted By: Teal Re: Kali trucking restrictions? - 10/17/21
As someone who’s held a CDL 20+ years, worked for single truck companies as a lumper, driver for 20 truck outfits pulling cans, to corporate leadership in trucking companies with 10k+ OTR trucks operating in 4 countries, small 12mm rev brokers to 2 BILLION in rev 3pls (moving 8000 loads per day) and 2 separate freight technology start ups (built each to over 100mm in rev each within a year) — this thread is funny.

Dutch knows his stuff. Others……..not so much.
Been waiting to see you pop up.
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Originally Posted by Teal
As someone who’s held a CDL 20+ years, worked for single truck companies as a lumper, driver for 20 truck outfits pulling cans, to corporate leadership in trucking companies with 10k+ OTR trucks operating in 4 countries, small 12mm rev brokers to 2 BILLION in rev 3pls (moving 8000 loads per day) and 2 separate freight technology start ups (built each to over 100mm in rev each within a year) — this thread is funny.

yeah, when you post, I pay attention. You have access to numbers I don't.

Dang it!
Originally Posted by Teal

So what are the problems in Long Beach?
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Kali trucking restrictions? - 10/18/21
Sounds like there are mostly two issues that affect moving goods off the container ships and into middle America. One is Kalifornia's draconian environmental laws and the other is union influence to prohibit independent contractors from operating outside the union. The long term effect will be ships moving to other ports in other states and possibly other countries. Higher prices for consumers.
© 24hourcampfire