Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Greyghost
When you take into account Service Hours, and the proportion of which is actual driving time. Traffic and other job related time not driving.... loading , off loading, finding a load. and the simple fact that most drivers don't make a career out of it. You'd start to under stand why mileage doesn't add up all that fast necessarily.

Then believe it or not most driving jobs are not just driving. In my case I would maybe work 14 to 16 hours or more, and might only drive 200 or 300 that day. But that would be taking machines apart, loading, delivering, off loading then placing and reassembling the machines. Then again some day's i might drive the limit. Hell some day's I could stay within a 100 mile radius an do 2,3, or 4 separate jobs and still drive some 600 miles, Other day's I might be operating equipment and not do any driving at all.

But did that pretty regularly for some 45 years.

Phil

So you weren't a truck driver, you just drove a truck as part of your main job.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When you take into account Service Hours, and the proportion of which is actual driving time. Traffic and other job related time not driving.... loading , off loading, finding a load. and the simple fact that most drivers don't make a career out of it. You'd start to under stand why mileage doesn't add up all that fast necessarily.

Then believe it or not most driving jobs are not just driving. In my case I would maybe work 14 to 16 hours or more, and might only drive 200 or 300 that day. But that would be taking machines apart, loading, delivering, off loading then placing and reassembling the machines. Then again some day's i might drive the limit. Hell some day's I could stay within a 100 mile radius an do 2,3, or 4 separate jobs and still drive some 600 miles, Other day's I might be operating equipment and not do any driving at all.

Phil

That's amusing. I had one driver do 2850 miles this week. Started work on Wednesday at 5 AM, came home this morning at 7 AM. He could have made it this morning at 1, but he prefers to not drive at night (and I prefer that, too).

Last week was the same. Next week will be the same. Every mile legal, electronic log books. Two live loads, three drops (Portland, Ontario and Seattle) on the first load, five drops (Las Vegas) on the second.

That truck is three years and three months old and has 387,000 miles on it, all by the same driver. That driver is now at a million miles, within a few miles, anyway, and he's been driving for 7 years.

In other words, a non union driver does in about 1/3rd of the time what a union driver does. I certainly appreciate your testimony to illustrate that point.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dutch,
Been out of the game awhile.
But back in the day Big R and ABF drivers ran right around
2800-3100/week. Depending on bid and boards and all tgat crap.

The union card didn't slow them down.
Darn sure didn't hurt their pocketbook at about 25% above non union.

Would have went there, but the unions aren't nice to new drivers.
And I wasn't going to play their games. Plus, I was 100 mikes from
any big terminal.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R

thanks for the insight on trucking

Phil is dumber than I initially thought.

Originally Posted by Dutch

Phil

That's amusing. I had one driver do 2850 miles this week. Started work on Wednesday at 5 AM, came home this morning at 7 AM. He could have made it this morning at 1, but he prefers to not drive at night (and I prefer that, too).

Last week was the same. Next week will be the same. Every mile legal, electronic log books. Two live loads, three drops (Portland, Ontario and Seattle) on the first load, five drops (Las Vegas) on the second.

That truck is three years and three months old and has 387,000 miles on it, all by the same driver. That driver is now at a million miles, within a few miles, anyway, and he's been driving for 7 years.

In other words, a non union driver does in about 1/3rd of the time what a union driver does. I certainly appreciate your testimony to illustrate that point.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Dutch,
Been out of the game awhile.
But back in the day Big R and ABF drivers ran right around
2800-3100/week. Depending on bid and boards and all tgat crap.

The union card didn't slow them down.
Darn sure didn't hurt their pocketbook at about 25% above non union.

Would have went there, but the unions aren't nice to new drivers.
And I wasn't going to play their games. Plus, I was 100 mikes from
any big terminal.

What I know about the LTL line haul guys is that the high bid guys are indeed making bank, doing their 600 miles per shift like you say, and many of them grossing well into six figures. WELL into six figures, with full bennies. Even the non-union outfits.

Of course the P&D guys are on a completely different work / pay schedule.

Problem is, as you say, that the low bid guys often work only a day or two a week on the crap runs and are making peanuts. Especially today, they can move to any mega and bring in 50 to 70K a year, and make a lateral move to something like cryo or dedicated for a more regular schedule and even more pay.

Some still prefer to stick it out and get on the gravy runs through seniority, and that's their choice, good on them.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Phil

So you weren't a truck driver, you just drove a truck as part of your main job.

#longhaullife

I am MAGA.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Nobody said they couldn't, but how many are going to do that every week and make a life long career out of it... its a very, very small percentage. And yes running a team you can pile up mileage on trucks, and run them to death. Most won't last 10 years... and those that people want to keep repairing aren't going to get the good paying jobs. And as far as your union BS assumption again you don't know what the hell you are talking about. I won't go over the various speed limits, I know Oregon just raised theirs, Washington I'm not up to date on, and as I'm retired now couldn't care less!

Also Diesel on state averages is about $1.10 higher in California than other states not $2.00 in fact the difference between the lowest and the highest is about $1.17 a gallon higher, and while fuel tax is part of the difference. We know you all don't want to compare the miles of roadway in the various states.

Phil

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Nobody said they couldn't, but how many are going to do that every week and make a life long career out of it... its a very, very small percentage. And yes running a team you can pile up mileage on trucks, and run them to death. Most won't last 10 years... and those that people want to keep repairing aren't going to get the good paying jobs. And as far as your union BS assumption again you don't know what the hell you are talking about. I won't go over the various speed limits, I know Oregon just raised theirs, Washington I'm not up to date on, and as I'm retired now couldn't care less!

Also Diesel on state averages is about $1.10 higher in California than other states not $2.00 in fact the difference between the lowest and the highest is about $1.17 a gallon higher, and while fuel tax is part of the difference. We know you all don't want to compare the miles of roadway in the various states.

Phil

How is it that you can be so consistently wrong about everything?

Is it a concerted effort on your part?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
So in summary we have regulated our selves to death.

This pretty well sums up what has happened.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Regulated, more just common sense... and yes I have brokered loads and arranged shipping. Do you think anyone is going to put a multi million load on a 10 or 20 year old truck and just hopes it will make it cross country? Not going to happen. And in my years working I never had a problem finding independent truckers with newer equipment. And the very first thing done was inspection of registration and maintenance records along with insurance papers. I've also refused to load trucks sent out to me by brokers too!

Phil

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Phil

70 in Idaho. 80 in Utah. 65 in Oregon, 60 in WA. Driver is making, with accessory pay, 75K per year, with benefits, home three days and nights a week, minimum. In rural Idaho.

You really think a high school dropout is going to quit that gig? Or, more accurately, do you think his wife is going to let him quit that gig?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
There's a lot more to it than wanting to and or doing it. And as I said those that do are a very small percentage. I take it you work for a company, how often do they replace equipment and what year is your current truck?

Phil

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
[Linked Image from encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com]

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
People like Phil, as a wise man once said... are always wrong but never in doubt.... they go through life this way, amazing

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by irfubar
People like Phil, as a wise man once said... are always wrong but never in doubt.... they go through life this way, amazing

Yeah, Dutch is just a wage earner....and there are no truck drivers that get more than 8 miles a day.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
[Linked Image from encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com]

I give up.

"those convinced against their will, are of the same opinion, still".

Sic Semper Tyrannis
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
As I said you dumb [bleep] don't know what the hell you are talking about. The drayage regulations only involved trucks actually entering the ports themselves. But it also involved every aspect of the ports and all the personnel working in the ports. Nobody could enter the ports without their TWIC card period and that was a federal security investigation clearance of everyone including all truck drivers. Few that applied were actually cleared. And it was strict and easy to loose the privilege's.

The OP was asking about California restrictions.

The ports newer requirements were put into place after 11 Sep, 2001, these are the requirements on the drivers themselves. But it also involved all the ships to, any ship in port had to completely shut down and go on dock power. They could no longer run their engines while docked.

But that also brings up the trucks no idle laws, and I don't remember when that was put into place right off, late 90's if I remember right.

As to your all's stupid remarks about those 3 law changes I mentioned. you all are some really dumb [bleep]! Most of you couldn't hold a CDL for 2 weeks, much less depend on one for your living....

Up until I retired I held every class license the state had including every hazmat and emergency response certification they offered so go [bleep] your selves.

Phil

Dummazz.
Your brain has been rotted from all the California/liberal dumbfuuk bullschit.
You should shut up and let adults with fully active brains do the talking around here.
JFC the level of dumfuuk you display paired with your unbelievable level of superiority just makes you easily one of the least accurate assessors of truth on this board.
Congratulations?

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
WTF is this thread about? Phil is a kuunt? Yes.

Last couple of weeks, very EZ five day 2950 mile circuit. Gravy. Readily do 3600 or more within the 70 hour/8 day cycle. Readily.

Am four months into it with this outfit. Came on with a weekly salary actually, to see how it'd shake out. Friday morning I decided I had seen enough, made a calculation to arrive at a figure, they have agreed and today I am up a5 least15%. Can honestly say that I will easily earn double what the local rock gig in 2018 paid.... And a grand a month more than the last line-haul gig. Compensation for work is one thing. Compensation for the life, is another. This outfit does not expect me to reset away from home. Golden, and it works for now.

There's literally millions of Filipinos that would bring huge improvement to their family's circumstances by driving truck here and our kuunty government does not, ttbomk, allow it. Every difficulty we have is due to the lack of an America First agenda. It's all horsechit.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
[bleep] you all...

Here's one of the best nation wide trucking reports. About page 13 you'' find some of the states I've been talking about... Again this is nation wide not strictly California.

Link

Average mileage put on a tractor/trailer rig is 93,000 miles annually.

Average equipment replacement is at 600,000 miles or 7 years.

It also shows that few of the trucking bottle necks are in California....

Phil

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man, you really need to quit quoting statistics if you don't understand them.

Table 1 of your link shows the statistics of the respondents to the survey vs the US industry.

Among the respondents, the truckload carriers are under represented by 27%
Other / Specialized carriers are over represented by 32%.

Last time I took statistics, if your sample is off by 30%, your numbers aren't worth the ink to print them.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,444
Posts18,470,916
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.