Home
I was web stalking a few gun and hunting forums that I used to frequent. I was amazed at the lack of traffic on them. Most seem to have 5 or 6 prolific posters (many with very liberal/progressive views) and a smattering of other participants. But overall the traffic is way, way down from several years ago.

Is the discussion forum trend waning?
Yes.

Wider symptom of forum format in general.
Which ones?
Social media pages, more specific and tied to other easy access stuff, has been brutal to many a forum.

Add in libs and spammers....dead.
If a site has overbearing rules only retards are left in the end.

That's why the DU is so effective in attracting retards.
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
I was web stalking a few gun and hunting forums that I used to frequent. I was amazed at the lack of traffic on them. Most seem to have 5 or 6 prolific posters (many with very liberal/progressive views) and a smattering of other participants. But overall the traffic is way, way down from several years ago.

Having the most prolific posters being lib/prog would chase me away.
On any shooting forum, once Llama Bob has given his verdict...there is no room for any more discussion. Done.
Short mags or bust!
Lol
Well GON does it's best to run everyone off. Optics talk killed itself with snob cliques. Examples.

For the granny trolls: That's forum.gon.com. If you're not posting there, you are wasting your talents.
Originally Posted by flintlocke
On any shooting forum, once Llama Bob has given his verdict...there is no room for any more discussion. Done.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by Raferman

I think this is mostly what's happening.
Hunt talk is like the DU of gun forums
Originally Posted by 45_100

see my post about Hunttalk

Yep. And WHY 24 Hour Campfire is so great !!!
The youngsters generally don't give a crap about old Fudd hunting rifles. They are banging away at short range targets and steel with Glocks and ARs. If they have a long rifle of any sort it is a tactical setup.

Nothing wrong with any of that, but it is what it is. There has been a big generational shift towards tactical type firearms, and most of the kids into that stuff aren't interested in hunting forums. They hang out on Instagram, not on gun forums.
Originally Posted by auk1124
The youngsters generally don't give a crap about old Fudd hunting rifles. They are banging away at short range targets and steel with Glocks and ARs. If they have a long rifle of any sort it is a tactical setup.

Nothing wrong with any of that, but it is what it is. There has been a big generational shift towards tactical type firearms, and most of the kids into that stuff aren't interested in hunting forums. They hang out on Instagram, not on gun forums.

Yep.
It appears the corporations are trying to starve out the gun magazines. Notice the complete lack of any automotive advertising by Ford, GM, Chrysler, Toyota, ect. One would think the truck manufacturers would be trying to entice hunters and the shooting public to buy their products.
It's happening in many genre's of forums, although Reddit is still running hot on most types of forums & lenient moderating.
Life in general isn't what it used to be.
young today have no attention span. need poco morsels. is why intagram and other form muy popular. y they no hunt.
Between old age - and plain dying off in the older civil members - we've had a lot of good people going away from here.

The trolls and the "my view or die" types - it's not any fun to have a conversation on a lot of Boards.

Guys and gals like "Tanner"s age finally graduated, reached their adult-hood, and started out on a life of their own - very few have the patience or grace to welcome a teenage sportsman on here.

And, given the copious amount of videos on the Web, I think the younger crowd is drawn to seeing the hunt, rather than talking about.

It is November. Maybe they're out hunting.

On the other hand, all too often here, I see legitimate discussions quickly devolve into pissing matches when one member has no tolerance for what others have to say. I'm not here for that. Civility has flown out the window.
Originally Posted by Senor_El_Guapo
young today have no attention span. need poco morsels. is why intagram and other form muy popular. y they no hunt.

True. You see a shift to pictures and gifs for everything. Shallow.
Trolls and drama queens run a bunch of good contributors off.

Every website has an expiration date. Some go strong for a long time. Some never take off, and crash at the end of the runway.
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Between old age - and plain dying off in the older civil members - we've had a lot of good people going away from here.

The trolls and the "my view or die" types - it's not any fun to have a conversation on a lot of Boards.

Guys and gals like "Tanner"s age finally graduated, reached their adult-hood, and started out on a life of their own - very few have the patience or grace to welcome a teenage sportsman on here.

And, given the copious amount of videos on the Web, I think the younger crowd is drawn to seeing the hunt, rather than talking about.

Civility seems be a casualty more often these days. frown
I think a lot if people are using YouTube as a gun/hunting forum. The searches are much easier and there's a lot of good YouTube channels about guns, hunting, gunsmithing, fishing and etc.

You're going to the wrong forums.

Some forums are dying because of mismanagement or overzealous moderators ... Shooters Forum is an example. Not only overzealous but really bad form. There are a few others and I get it, forum owners these days have issues to deal with, with the cancel culture and Google ads, that are a pain in the ass.

I'm so glad I sold out when I did. Subscription based models are the only way to cover expenses and/or make money now ... doesn't matter how many impressions you serve or what the CPM rate is when Google blocks you from everything. It should be criminal.

But still, bad forum management is the main reason some boards are collapsing. When mods over-moderate and alienate the most freedom loving community members in gunboard fifedom, as gun omwers are ... it never ends well. Gun owners detest censorship and heavy handedness. This forum does it right.

Also, again, there is an issue with de-monetizing some boards by Google that should be outlawed and dealt with in the courts and by congress. But there are ways around that.
Pre-internet when actual campfires were forums you risked severe mockery and or a punch in the mouth if you trolled too much.

No, you're looking at ti the wrong way. The entertainment potential goes off the charts, you just need to know which buttons to push.

Labamba, got his empirical anus turned inside out a couple years ago when he was parlaying his pseudo-scientific knowledge on ballistics, iirc.

It was hilarious !

🦫
Originally Posted by smokepole

No, you're looking at ti the wrong way. The entertainment potential goes off the charts, you just need to know which buttons to push.

grin

mike r
Originally Posted by Chisos
It appears the corporations are trying to starve out the gun magazines. Notice the complete lack of any automotive advertising by Ford, GM, Chrysler, Toyota, ect. One would think the truck manufacturers would be trying to entice hunters and the shooting public to buy their products.

Looking at the evolution of trucks of late makes me think the manufacturers don't give a rip about outdoorsman. Very little is currently being produced that isn't a form of overpriced curb queen. Rear coil springs for a smoother ride, park assist, trailer backing systems,...these trucks are aimed towards a citified/suburban customer base.
Most of the younger generation these days don't read much. They watch Tic-Toc or YouTube. Different forums have different rules and different objectives. The Accurate Shooters forums are ok but the general forum has tight rules on political posting so the liberals have the run of the house. If there's any conservative view posted one of the liberals will pitch a fit and get the thread shut down. It's that way on a lot of forums but it is what it is. The owner sets the rules.

Shooting posts run the gambit. People have been arguing about heavy slow bullets vs lighter faster bullets since the invention of the firearm. It won't change. People have been ragging on new cartridges since they started coming out. That won't change. Some people just like to bitch to hear their own chatter. That won't change.
I don't argue about anyone's choice of weapons. It serves no purpose. If you like the 257 Roberts you're not likely to change your mind. If you hate everything else, you aren't likely to change your mind. As far as magazines go; it's a hard business to get in and getting harder. Not many people read much anymore. In Jack O'Connor's day not many people could afford to go on extended hunts and Safaris. There apparently wasn't that many well heeled people running around the hunting fields. Today it's a different world. Well heeled sportsmen far outnumber the professional outdoor writers. I have great respect for many of them especially JB (MuleDeer). He's a good writer with a world of experience. I like to look up his posts, and some others to get their views on stuff. it's always interesting.

Forums are what they are and what We the membership make of them. However in America today there doesn't seem to be much room for sanity. Liberal leftists taint and sour everything they can get hold of. They'll start a ruckus and walk off smiling like a possum eating chit.
A lot of them are fud magnets.
I am a member of jeepforum.com and have been since 2009 and it's has headed down hill starting when the owner and original builder of the forum sold it to Autoguide. They have bought up several forums and every time they do the forum tanks. I'm surprised they don't own this one if and when they do buy it kiss it goodbye.
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123

That's ridiculous. "Fudd" always has two d's.
Originally Posted by smokepole

That's ridiculous. "Fudd" always has two d's.

My apologies…..
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Trolls and drama queens run a bunch of good contributors off.

Yep
Because they are all here!!!
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Labamba, got his empirical anus turned inside out a couple years ago when he was parlaying his pseudo-scientific knowledge on ballistics, iirc.

It was hilarious !

🦫

Do you have the calculations to back that up?

Censorship is a big killer of forums.
I have seen some almost die. Lake-Link is a mostly Wisconsin hunting and fishing board. It is a fraction of what it used to be. Graybeard outdoors is much the same. It had a Wisconsin board that was quite active, now only a few posts a year show up. . This board is fine with me. Too many decent guys here to not like it.
I use to like Graybeard Outdoors but haven’t been on there in a long time same for the Highroad. Michigan Sportsman still gets a lot of traffic. I check that one out here and there to see what’s going on locally with hunting and fishing but it’s full of fuds and Covitards with a debate going about what to do with deer now having the Covid! Amazing and sad all at once that so many “outdoorsman” that should know better are hook line and sinker worried about news reports of deer with Covid just in time for hunting season. The theories are to stupid to make up. One of the best/dumbest is that an infected hunter in a state with legal baiting likely put out bait and then spit on or near the bait pile infecting deer and causing Covid to run rampant throughout the deer heard and spreading it state to state. Another comment was recommending that everyone “mask up” while gutting their deer!
LOL I was a daily reader of HuntingPA for many years. Thankfully before the owner sold I found 24Hourcampfire and started frequenting here. After the sale the the format changed and it sucked, after a while I noticed the moderating took a turn for the worse.

I rarely ever go there anymore, it truly sucks. Never hear a disparaging word and all that. Hate it now.
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42
LOL I was a daily reader of HuntingPA for many years. Thankfully before the owner sold I found 24Hourcampfire and started frequenting here. After the sale the the format changed and it sucked, after a while I noticed the moderating took a turn for the worse.

I rarely ever go there anymore, it truly sucks. Never hear a disparaging word and all that. Hate it now.

I still go there
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Pre-internet when actual campfires were forums you risked severe mockery and or a punch in the mouth if you trolled too much.

I concur. I miss those days.
Right here is a couple good examples of how to kill a gun/hunting forum.

Let a few back stabbers rant about the NRA for a few months to top it off and what is LEFT on a gun forum, a gun OWNER and or hunter would come to it FOR?

When it gets so threads with half the people posting are on my ignore list, I move on to somewhere else.

Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
I use to like Graybeard Outdoors but haven’t been on there in a long time same for the Highroad. Michigan Sportsman still gets a lot of traffic. I check that one out here and there to see what’s going on locally with hunting and fishing but it’s full of fuds and Covitards with a debate going about what to do with deer now having the Covid! Amazing and sad all at once that so many “outdoorsman” that should know better are hook line and sinker worried about news reports of deer with Covid just in time for hunting season. The theories are to stupid to make up. One of the best/dumbest is that an infected hunter in a state with legal baiting likely put out bait and then spit on or near the bait pile infecting deer and causing Covid to run rampant throughout the deer heard and spreading it state to state. Another comment was recommending that everyone “mask up” while gutting their deer!

Originally Posted by JackRyan

Yep.

I think that’s one of the problems with society as a whole these days. The absolute lack of fear of getting punched in the mouth. Case in point that metrosexual, amoral, self centered, commie Rittenhouse prosecutor. Back in the day there were lines we all knew like don’t let your mouth right a check your fist can’t cash.
Hell I got kicked off the 6.8 forum IIRC one of the sponsors had some content removed .Some people were standing up for the guy as I was and I guess I got a little overzealous with one of the good ole boys got butt hurt and they gave me a 2 month time out. Doubt I will ever wander back. Hell they got uptight that I had my home based FFL included in my sig line. I had it that way for 4 or 5 years. Then someone got butt hurt. I think in some cases we are our own worst enemy. I turned numerous people onto the 6.8 and they bought guns from some of the sponsors there. I never made a dime off the forum. Oh well
Originally Posted by Chisos

They took a cue from Bausch and Lomb. Corporations are all terrified of being associated with hunters, sportsmen, and the shooting sports by the woke crowd.

Due to overzealous moderating.
First outdoor forum I joined was Rugerforum. com (NOT the . net one!). Years before I happened upon the 'campfire.
Fine bunch of folks there. The conversation is always civil and well-mannered. In fact, it was where I came to be friends with our own Caribou Jack.

I still check in there often, but there's very little activity going on there lately. Hard to understand what has happened.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Due to overzealous moderating.

I agree but what I don't get are all the prolific liberal participants on hunting and gun forums today. They seem to be driving off most of the normal members with their silly nonsense.

I can't comprehend how any one who values their 2A rights, their access to hunting, and the Constitution in general can support a political agenda that is intent on dismantling all three.
This is the only forum that allows people to converse and argue.

The rest of them flat out suck.

Buncha thin skinned pussies.
Many forums were originally created by the owner and that owner walked that walk and talked that talk,
He knew the deal and we could relate,

Then most popular forums were sold to investors or just for profit, That was the first disconnect,
then moderation and watered down info, attitudes and so forth entered,

A decade later the novelty has certainly worn off for many, myself included.

Walleyecentral, Lake-link, Alaska outdoors, All previous favorites, Not even worth the time anymore.
Originally Posted by deflave

Right again.
Often the moderators become ten cent tyrants. It seems to be a gradual thing.
Originally Posted by TrueGrit

Right again.

It usually starts with some whiny individual and then others join in and demand change.
Originally Posted by TrueGrit

Right again.

Exactly. I've removed myself (or been removed. Lol!) from several.
Originally Posted by JeffyD

On the other hand, all too often here, I see legitimate discussions quickly devolve into pissing matches when one member has no tolerance for what others have to say. I'm not here for that. Civility has flown out the window.

Kind of my impression also. Eg, Can I use ______ bullet to hunt _______ animal ( fill in whatever bullet/animal combo), and watch the pontificating begin.

Let a few back stabbers rant about the NRA for a few months to top it off and what is LEFT on a gun forum, a gun OWNER and or hunter would come to it FOR?

We may have to agree to disagree (or you may put me on IGNORE, your choice), but I take exception to that. NRA is the backstabber, IMO. For the record, I am a Life Member since 1997 but I have come to see the truth about the bylaws and who's calling the shots.

I believe this to be true.
MissLynn tried to take this place down, wonder if she ever got laid ?

LOL
Originally Posted by OldHat
this is why I left CastBollits, POS called reloader fred
Originally Posted by RiverRider

I believe this to be true.

Yep, the covtards have phugged up everything, them and the chinks and jews.

LOL

mike r
A lot of it is the fact most of the conversations have been done. When forums first started it was an age of discovery. Folks werent here just to shoot the bull, they were posting to figure stuff out or find answers for stuff they had spent decades scouring sources of information for out of magazines, snail mail groups, penpals etc.

The internet started and it was like someone turned the lights on. The next 10 years or so was very heady stuff, thousands of experts and hobbyists came together, every thread was enlightening.

The frontier got settled so to speak, then the average guy started turning up in his droves around the late 2000's, what I call 'townies'', fellas who just want to shoot the bull.

The next generation of kids or townies logging on dont need to ask all the questions we did- they just run a search...

Lack of civility from one POSTER to the next.
Originally Posted by 158XTP
A lot of it is the fact most of the conversations have been done. When forums first started it was an age of discovery. Folks werent here just to shoot the bull, they were posting to figure stuff out or find answers for stuff they had spent decades scouring sources of information for out of magazines, snail mail groups, penpals etc.

The internet started and it was like someone turned the lights on. The next 10 years or so was very heady stuff, thousands of experts and hobbyists came together, every thread was enlightening.

The frontier got settled so to speak, then the average guy started turning up in his droves around the late 2000's, what I call 'townies'', fellas who just want to shoot the bull.

The next generation of kids or townies logging on don't need to ask all the questions we did- they just run a search...

This is very insightful. I hadn't thought of this before, but I think you really are on to something here. Forums allowed very experienced shooters/hunters to share knowledge and some out-of-the-box thinking (light rifles, light for caliber bullets, 243 for elk, Leuoplds suck, etc.) We all benefitted initially for a decade and now things are mostly settled for current technologies. I read much more archived posts than current for info. Lots of the good guys are gone or don't bother posting anymore about '30'06 vs 270 for elk'.
People talking up shît and not posting pics is what ruins forums.
Originally Posted by OldHat

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I could name a dozen forums like that.

The next generation of kids or townies logging on dont need to ask all the questions we did- they just run a search...

Well said.
More often than not run by communist bastards like Facebook!
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by AH64guy

Civility seems be a casualty more often these days. frown

Good the leftist scum pushing experimental vaccines,communism,Biden deserve zero civility.
GUN AND HUNTING FORUMS ARE NOT DEAD...

They just smell that way.
This forum will never die. With power posters like myself and Happy Camper, we keep the regulars riveted and recruitment rising.
Rick Bin loves Flave.

And Flave loves Rick Bin.
Rick Bin loves Flave.

Huh. When did all of that change?
Rick Bin loves Flave.

Most importantly, Flave loves Flave.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Rick Bin loves Flave.

Huh. When did all of that change?

Love hate relationship.

I heard Rick Bin will let you give him a good verbal running down without getting butthurt. Now that's my kind of forum.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I heard Rick Bin will let you give him a good verbal running down without getting butthurt. Now that's my kind of forum.

He’s a lot like my mom and dad.

Mostly hates me but kinda likes me.

Well said.

Yup.

20-page pissing matches over scope brand probably don't help either.
Over-juiced moderators who have attachment issues.

35K post regulars yelling at everyone.

Blowhards acting like anyone cares.

I've left most of them.
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan

Well said.

Yup.

What’s wrong with a 20 page pissing match over scope brands?
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan

Well said.

Yup.

What’s wrong with a 20 page pissing match over scope brands?

Nothing if you like popcorn. I had to go back to using the dutch oven. Burned out three of those 70s electric poppers.
© 24hourcampfire