Home
Posted By: SandBilly Chainsaw college? - 01/21/22
Any Chainsaw colleges in the states you know of?
Posted By: rem141r Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/21/22
university of clarksville has a fuggen phd program in chainsawing.
Posted By: Huntaholic Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/21/22
ok, just WTF is a chainsaw college?
Will the mills pay me more for my logs if I have a degree in chainsawology? What are the qualifications to become a professor in chainsawology? IF there is such a thing my teachers sure dropped the ball when I was in high school!
Posted By: slumlord Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/21/22
Originally Posted by Huntaholic

They have it “out west”

If you cut a lot of hickory and oak, cherry, etc the “out west” have to put their 2cents in how “youns dont know nuffins”

So obviously there is a Chainsaw College that gives this heir of superiority.
Posted By: bbassi Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/21/22
Lots of Forestry schools if that's what you're asking?
Lots of states, TN included, have whats called a "master loggers program" that they offer. In some states its required that you have a "master logger" on your jobsite, KY is one of those states, IMAGINE THAT! Being a 3rd generation logger and being my age, piss on that!
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/21/22
Originally Posted by slumlord

They have it “out west”

If you cut a lot of hickory and oak, cherry, etc the “out west” have to put their 2cents in how “youns dont know nuffins”

Excellent wordplay using heir instead of air
Posted By: 1minute Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/21/22
Is one seeking some sort of certification or just want some pointers for taking down trees? If the second there are tons of web videos.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/21/22
This is not that Boss

This is the arrogant 79 year old that injects his pie holery like “ponderosa pine..yeh that some wood real men use for firewood, we split it ourselves with a boy’s ax”

i mean cmon

Or “thicket...you dont know what a thicket is....your deer property looks it a city park, where’s the swingset”

😃😂😂
I remember that deer property city park comment.
Posted By: 673 Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/21/22
Just go and buy a saw and a pack of bandaids and get out there and start sawing, that's the best way to learn chainsawology...LOL
Posted By: Jiveturkey Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/21/22
If you can keep the sucker running and not bind the bar and get it stuck you're golden. I could be a professor at said college
I'll be the student aid coordinator at the school. I'm not touching a chainsaw, I haven't touched one in 30 years but I'll help you rack up debt to get learned.
Posted By: 673 Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/21/22
This is not that Boss

This is the arrogant 79 year old that injects his pie holery like “ponderosa pine..yeh that some wood real men use for firewood, we split it ourselves with a boy’s ax”

i mean cmon

Or “thicket...you dont know what a thicket is....your deer property looks it a city park, where’s the swingset”

😃😂😂

A thicket is what we call them french wimmins that don't shave, you can use it in a sentence thusly...them wimmins sure do have a thicket down in there, or I wonder what dat thicket is like? er, grin
Posted By: Fishnnut1 Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/21/22
I run Wood Cutting University (WCU). You cut and I critique and grade you while you are loading up the trailer. Consistent length without measuring is a real plus. Sharpening the chain, Wedge work when felling. Splitting into wood stove size chunks. I provide the splitter and work the hydraulics. Stacking properly gets extra credit.
Posted By: JTrapper73 Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/21/22
Me attending chainsaw college paid for my first truck back in high school, late 80’s.
1974 Chevrolet 1/2 ton 4X4 courtesy of an old Homelite Super XL.
It was an old rust bucket but it ran good and got me to where the “wimmins” was.
Posted By: AZmark Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/21/22
Lots of states, TN included, have whats called a "master loggers program" that they offer. In some states its required that you have a "master logger" on your jobsite, KY is one of those states, IMAGINE THAT! Being a 3rd generation logger and being my age, piss on that!

So I'm thinking that this here is the reason for the huge failure of the US Forest Service in managing forests to help control wildfires. Instead of havinga "Master logger" on the job sites they've just got a crew of "Master Baters"
Originally Posted by AZmark

So I'm thinking that this here is the reason for the huge failure of the US Forest Service in managing forests to help control wildfires. Instead of havinga "Master logger" on the job sites they've just got a crew of "Master Baters"

LOL Pretty much sums it up! Ive had the Forestry Dept come out on ONE job that I was doing, private land of course so when I saw the trucks pull up I just kept right on working. Instead, I let the guy loading logs for me talk to them, that guy missed his calling, he should have been telling cowboy stories to kindergardeners. He could talk the balls off a brass monkey. At one point whle I was cutting and pulling a drag I saw them with some paperwork laid out on the hood of the truck, I figured if they needed me they would flag me down lol. After they left, I asked my loader guy what they wanted lol. It all amounted to NOTHING.
Posted By: Salty303 Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/21/22
Unfortunately where I grew up if you were proficient with a chain saw it meant you are too stupid or lazy for a college degree. Yeah, I’m pretty handy with a chainsaw 😞

As to the out west holier than now tards telling you how cut hickory or whatever rest assured they are guaranteed wannabees and wouldn’t know how to file and cut anything harder than cardboard probably. But man they got real big trees all around them in their new place out west. 👩‍🌾
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/22/22
I went to chainsaw college.
Dad was the head instructor.
At about 10, he handed me the Pro-Mac 800 and told me to go
cut thhe vines off all the standing trees we were going to cut.
Lotta saw for a little bony me.

Later, I was bucking logs and hit a rock. Brand new chain.
Learned all about knowing where the bar tip is.
Memorable lesson on that one.!😉

Never got a diploma.
Guess that's how it works for cumpolsery education.
Posted By: Huntaholic Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/22/22
Originally Posted by Salty303
Unfortunately where I grew up if you were proficient with a chain saw it meant you are too stupid or lazy for a college degree. Yeah, I’m pretty handy with a chainsaw 😞

As to the out west holier than now tards telling you how cut hickory or whatever rest assured they are guaranteed wannabees and wouldn’t know how to file and cut anything harder than cardboard probably. But man they got real big trees all around them in their new place out west. 👩‍🌾

Ive been to Komiefornia and the ONLY reason I would ever go back was if they would let me cut a few of those trees! Id have to have bar built but Id love to put general Sherman on the ground!
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/22/22
Husky, Echo, Homelite or Craftsman?

Your diploma matters.
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Your diploma matters.

HUSQVARNA OF COURSE! I notice you didn't even list stihl! The ONLY stihl I have any interest in is the new 500i. Pound for pound, that saw is a beast! Of course if I was gonna cut Sherman Id opt for a 2100 husky or bigger. I THINK I could do it with a 395xp but what the hell, youll only get to cut him once so I would spend the bucks and get the biggest Husky made to do the job.

Your diploma matters.

HUSQVARNA OF COURSE! I notice you didn't even list stihl! The ONLY stihl I have any interest in is the new 500i. Pound for pound, that saw is a beast! Of course if I was gonna cut Sherman Id opt for a 2100 husky or bigger. I THINK I could do it with a 395xp but what the hell, youll only get to cut him once so I would spend the bucks and get the biggest Husky made to do the job.

I didn't mention Stihl because they work for a living... and don't needs no stinking degree for soy/roy boys to feel 5x5 about.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/22/22
Originally Posted by SandBilly

SandBilly;
Good evening to you folks down in Texas, I trust the week was a decent one for you and all who matter to you are well.

When the subject came up in another thread, I must confess that I - a lifetime westerner - had to fire up the Groogle to see what it might entail and therein I found this, thusly;

https://cotr.bc.ca/continuing-education/courses/chainsaw-operator-course/

Now that particular course happens to be in the Kootenays, which is known for pot growing mostly these days although there are still ranches and logging too I'm led to believe.

As a kid in Saskatchewan we cut more hardwoods - White Birch if we could find it, Scrub or Bur Oak and lastly White Poplar.

The Scrub Oak was pretty hard on the chain and even harder to split as I recall.

Where we're at here there's some Black Birch and Poplar for hardwoods, but mostly we'll cut Doug Fir for firewood.

When I was in the cabinet industry we worked with different hardwoods and I can't imagine cutting Hickory or Red Oak for firewood would be any fun at all.

Anyways as always I'm likely three steps behind and have had an easy pitch go clear over my head, but again at 5'6" that's not uncommon.

All the best to you all this weekend regardless of the Chainsaw College you attended or did not as the case might or might not be.

Dwayne
Posted By: pete53 Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/22/22
we just grew up in the chain saw school of hard knocks we needed wood for the old wood stove in the house.
Posted By: kingston Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/22/22
Originally Posted by BC30cal

When I was in the cabinet industry we worked with different hardwoods and I can't imagine cutting Hickory or Red Oak for firewood would be any fun at all.

...Cuts like butter, especially when it's green. Red and white oak are heavy as hell green. They are full of water and take twice as long to dry as other hardwoods common in the East.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/22/22

They have it “out west”

Slum, Don't get pissed, please, I'm not trying to stir schidt. Go to Youtube, search Bjarne Butler, type in "springboard in big cedar" (I'm too f...ing old an stupid to post a link) Just watch that one video. This is not a dick measuring contest, in my opinion, Bjarne Butler may very well be the best I've ever seen, and if you watch this and look at the ground he works on, the size of timber, and come away unimpressed...words fail me.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/22/22
Originally Posted by flintlocke

They have it “out west”

Slum, Don't get pissed, please, I'm not trying to stir schidt. Go to Youtube, search Bjarne Butler, type in "springboard in big cedar" (I'm too f...ing old an stupid to post a link) Just watch that one video. This is not a dick measuring contest, in my opinion, Bjarne Butler may very well be the best I've ever seen, and if you watch this and look at the ground he works on, the size of timber, and come away unimpressed...words fail me.

Posted By: SandBilly Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/22/22

SandBilly;
Good evening to you folks down in Texas, I trust the week was a decent one for you and all who matter to you are well.

When the subject came up in another thread, I must confess that I - a lifetime westerner - had to fire up the Groogle to see what it might entail and therein I found this, thusly;

Now that particular course happens to be in the Kootenays, which is known for pot growing mostly these days although there are still ranches and logging too I'm led to believe.

As a kid in Saskatchewan we cut more hardwoods - White Birch if we could find it, Scrub or Bur Oak and lastly White Poplar.

The Scrub Oak was pretty hard on the chain and even harder to split as I recall.

Where we're at here there's some Black Birch and Poplar for hardwoods, but mostly we'll cut Doug Fir for firewood.

Anyways as always I'm likely three steps behind and have had an easy pitch go clear over my head, but again at 5'6" that's not uncommon.

All the best to you all this weekend regardless of the Chainsaw College you attended or did not as the case might or might not be.

Dwayne

Thanks for the response Dwayne, I posted this on a dare.

Sometimes I’m like Igor, a little henchman. But I do know my way around a saw ok.

Hope you’re all good as well.

Your diploma matters.

I didn't mention Stihl because they work for a living... and don't needs no stinking degree for soy/roy boys to feel 5x5 about.

ROFLMAO! Im not in the least upset, if I was supposed to be, you missed the mark. All that "work for a living" response gets is a hearty ROFLMAO. Like I said, with the exception of the 500i, which I have in the stable, NOTHING stihl makes will cut with a Husqvarna pound for pound. Bring your 460/461, Ive got a 372 that will smoke it. Bring your 660/661 and Ive got a 390 that will take its lunch money. Either way you compare them, weight vs weight or cc vs cc, husky wins hands down. The new 500i is the only exception to that rule.
Posted By: cuznguido Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/22/22

Your diploma matters.

ROFLMAO! Im not in the least upset, if I was supposed to be, you missed the mark. All that "work for a living" response gets is a hearty ROFLMAO. Like I said, with the exception of the 500i, which I have in the stable, NOTHING stihl makes will cut with a Husqvarna pound for pound. Bring your 460/461, Ive got a 372 that will smoke it. Bring your 660/661 and Ive got a 390 that will take its lunch money. Either way you compare them, weight vs weight or cc vs cc, husky wins hands down. The new 500i is the only exception to that rule.

This could start a real pissin contest :):)
Nah, Ive used them all and I know what works for me. You do you as they say.
Posted By: Salty303 Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/22/22
Originally Posted by cuznguido

Your diploma matters.

Phht. All that schit too small for out west
Do you guys have problems with sawdust in your boots when your skinny jeans tucked in your boots? Brutal
Posted By: jimy Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/22/22
There are plenty of dead guys that didn't go to chain saw school, its not a very forgiving place to be.....

Most people should pay some one to drop trees for them, and please never lend a man your chain saw, he will hurt himself or the saw, and maybe both !
Posted By: 673 Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/22/22
When I started working in the bush, nobody showed you much. You really did survive by luck, alot of guys got killed, sometimes their fault, sometimes by a fluke walking out for lunch and a tree lands on you out of nowhere. There is some pretty scary stuff that can happen when operating a saw, every time I got hurt it could of been avoided by me lol.
Having had trees land about 4 ft from me was a good learning tool.

Listening to the springboard video above brings back memories.
The power saw running in the background....that's your falling partner working a safe distance away. You always listen for that saw running, when it gets quiet you wonder if he is ok, sometimes you gotta go see. The sound of a saw working in the distance is cool in the mountains, you hear it echoing.

Up here you usually drive for 2 hours from pretty much nowhere, so if anyone gets hurt its gonna be a chopper out.
The winter requires one to use snowshoes to get around in the deep snow, then you learn to run in snowshoes

The $$$$ was great, best job ever.
Salty;
How are you doing my cyber Canuck friend to the west?

I hope you're all getting the milder temps we are too and the snow's melting a wee bit?

It appears I can't get a photo to post, but here's a link to what I've been wearing the last couple years when doing any saw work. Made in Vancouver even! cool

https://www.bigkclothing.ca/bk80141fri-nv

I'll tell you what though Salty, when a fellow wears them in anything much above temps that we're getting now, as in just about freezing, one risks getting a case of boiled bits with them....

They're not as cool as the skinny jeans I'm guessing - even though I'm skinny I just run either Wranglers or Rustler jeans Salty, sorry about that mobile fashion fox paw on my part.

Anyways Salty I mostly dropped by to render salutations to you and wish you and yours a good weekend.

All the best to you all out west.

Dwayne
673;
Good evening to you my friend, I hope the week was a decent one for you all too.

You guys who worked in the bush are the real deal for sure. I've learned a bunch from you - thanks again - and from some of the older fellows who shared with me down here.

I've only fooled with firewood and a couple yard cleanup jobs, so it's nothing one has to make any serious time on like you do when falling.

You're spot on about getting extracted from the back country though. Funny how long it takes to get out onto the top of a mountain that you can see from home sometimes.

All the best to you all up north this weekend 673.

Dwayne
Salty;
How are you doing my cyber Canuck friend to the west?

I hope you're all getting the milder temps we are too and the snow's melting a wee bit?

It appears I can't get a photo to post, but here's a link to what I've been wearing the last couple years when doing any saw work. Made in Vancouver even! cool

https://www.bigkclothing.ca/bk80141fri-nv

I'll tell you what though Salty, when a fellow wears them in anything much above temps that we're getting now, as in just about freezing, one risks getting a case of boiled bits with them....

They're not as cool as the skinny jeans I'm guessing - even though I'm skinny I just run either Wranglers or Rustler jeans Salty, sorry about that mobile fashion fox paw on my part.

Anyways Salty I mostly dropped by to render salutations to you and wish you and yours a good weekend.

All the best to you all out west.

Dwayne

Those are some good looking saw pants Dwayne, speaking of function not tongue in cheek fashion commentary wink
I get by with some probably 35 year old denim fallers pants that’s right denim. And I’ll go out on a limb in reading your mind just now and I agree that was a stupid idea then and it still is!! Big K I think they are. Got all the proper safety stamps of the day but 3 honest drops of water and they’re wet. Helps quite a bit that they’ve soaked up a lot of chain oil through the years and I do not wash them. Oh well they’ve saved me a couple bites along the line for sure.

We’ve got little snow left Dwayne the last foot or so rotted out corn snow that even getting rained on the last week on and off is stubborn to leave. I hear from a pal in Vernon that is melting lately too so good to hear you okanagan fellas get a break too.

Good to hear your thoughts from “out east”. Ha! The very best to you too this fine weekend. smile
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/22/22
Originally Posted by 673
This is not that Boss

i mean cmon

😃😂😂

A thicket is what we call them french wimmins that don't shave, you can use it in a sentence thusly...them wimmins sure do have a thicket down in there, or I wonder what dat thicket is like? er, grin
The ones I seen in Quebec had thickets under their arms and all down their legs too. Grossed me right the hell out.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/22/22
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by 673
This is not that Boss

i mean cmon

😃😂😂

The ones I seen in Quebec had thickets under their arms and all down their legs too. Grossed me right the hell out.

Pics or it didn't happen
Posted By: kenoh2 Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/22/22
My wife will be attending her first class Saturday morning!
After helping with a couple loads last weekend, she said running the saw looks like fun. I'll start her off with the Milwaukee battery saw and then switch to a little Echo 3510.
A couple standing dead red elm trees will be the main focus so sharp chains will be of particular importance. Tomorrow we'll also drop one of the several dead ash trees and she can see how easy splitting with an axe can be. Her last lesson using a Fiskars maul on elm didn't work out so well.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/22/22
Originally Posted by kenoh2
My wife will be attending her first class Saturday morning!
After helping with a couple loads last weekend, she said running the saw looks like fun. I'll start her off with the Milwaukee battery saw and then switch to a little Echo 3510.
A couple standing dead red elm trees will be the main focus so sharp chains will be of particular importance. Tomorrow we'll also drop one of the several dead ash trees and she can see how easy splitting with an axe can be. Her last lesson using a Fiskars maul on elm didn't work out so well.

Got a little Echo 370 my wife doesn't like to run.
I've had her use it a couple times, it's a great little toy.

I figure a day may come when I'm gone, it's there, so
why not have her comfortable with running it? But she
is afraid. She has bucked with the 372, but there is no reason to
learn that one, it's a bit much for her.
Posted By: kenoh2 Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/22/22
After a some safety instruction she went to work on a small log and limbs with the Milwaukee. She drained two 12ah batteries while I dropped and bucked a couple bigger trees. I split and she loaded everything.
She enjoyed running the Milwaukee but wants to use a real saw next time.
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/22/22
Thing about saws, once is all it takes. I think I used up more than my share of close calls, never an injury. But SO close. Falling and sawing are not only three-dimensional, but you have hidden dangers all around. And even the smallest stick can mess you up for life. It's just not a casual kind of thing in my book.
If there's a community college nearby teaching a class, do that at the least.
Originally Posted by cuznguido

Your diploma matters.

Not really... I am east coast... a 20" 362 is all the saw a man really needs here... I have bigger, but mostly they just collect dust anymore.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I run two Husky saws 51 and 55... good featherweight bucking .325s
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/24/22
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Thing about saws, once is all it takes. I think I used up more than my share of close calls, never an injury. But SO close. Falling and sawing are not only three-dimensional, but you have hidden dangers all around. And even the smallest stick can mess you up for life. It's just not a casual kind of thing in my book.
If there's a community college nearby teaching a class, do that at the least.

Former co-workers uncle went to cut some firewood, took too long,
And his wife called John.

John went down and found him immediately, heard the saw running.
It was sitting there by his uncle, who had fallen and somehow run
a snag through his head.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/24/22

SandBilly;

Dwayne

Thanks for the response Dwayne, I posted this on a dare.

Sometimes I’m like Igor, a little henchman. But I do know my way around a saw ok.

Hope you’re all good as well.

We need to talk about the friends you have been hanging out with since you moved to Texas.

I know you want to belong, to be accepted, but sometimes the individuals you hang out with aren’t really your friends.

I will send you some information on Tennessee and the blight some of them peoples will cause a good person, like you, to suffer from.

Friends, don’t let friends, post stupid shît.

🤷🏽‍♀️😜😂🦫
Posted By: las Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/24/22
[quote=Huntaholic][quote=CashisKing]Husky, Echo, Homelite or Craftsman?

Your diploma matters.

Owned one once. Never again. That fugger gave me all kind of degrees, mostly in cussology.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/24/22
I never sawed no Blight

Is that on Day 3 of Chanesaw Collij
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/24/22
Another timely thread….I had dropped 2 BIG alders way past their expected lifespan this past summer and have been stalling getting them bucked up. I told my wife earlier today that tomorrow I’ll run the saw while she throws limbs onto the fire. The new Stihl will get its maiden voyage on those alders and I’ll quit thinking about getting the job done and just do it.

My chainsaw college days were misspent. When I wasn’t getting OJT I was at the bar ….😁. It would seem like there’s a fundamental difference between college chainsaw teachers and shop teachers, at least as far as safety is concerned. Most shop teachers are sporting 7.5 fingers while the chainsaw teachers have all 11 digits. 😁
Posted By: slumlord Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/24/22
I would be so ‘whole’ if I had one of the microsoft certificate degrees in Chainsawlology

I could be all smartassery to peoples about their grammar and stuff and I’d always start out my explanations in a condescending tone-like as if I was addressing someone that I presumed had only ever lived inside and glued fuggin Revell 69 camaro models together their whole life.

😃😃💁‍♂️💩💩💩

#misoppurtunity😭😭
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/24/22
Sounds like slumlords got a sore vagina. In your immunocompromised state that could be fatal.

Who do you keep alluding to?
Posted By: smokepole Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/24/22
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Sounds like slumlords got a sore vagina. In your immunocompromised state that could be fatal.

Who do you keep alluding to?

He's just pissed because fireball has a dump truck and all he's got is the El Camino.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/24/22
I run two Husky saws 51 and 55... good featherweight bucking .325s

Damn Brother, those are classics.
Posted By: SKane Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/24/22

😃😂😂

LOLOLOLOL.
You know I'm just razzin' my TN brothers.
Posted By: PJ65 Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/24/22
Huge difference between a guy who falls timber for a living and a guy who cuts a couple dozen trees a year for firewood or for his smoker wood. When I was a younger I worked as a production faller. Damned dangerous work. Steep. Remote. Logging typically ties commercial fishing annually as the most dangerous industry in the US. I believe our neighbors to the North actually do a better job with training as BC has some kind of faller standard training.
Posted By: pullit Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/24/22
I have a Husky 55 and I have 3 trees that I need to drop right now but waiting another week or 3. Been cutting firewood since the 70's. Never knew about a Chainsaw School till this thread, As my dad use to say, "been to the school of hard knocks".
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/24/22
PJ65;
Top of the morning to you, I hope you're all well to the south of us and the weekend was a good one for you.

A sincere tip of the hat to you as a former feller, that was never, ever easy work.

As I've mentioned often, I've never been more than that guy who cut a few dozen firewood trees a year along with some bug kill to keep yards cleaned up.

That course which I posted is now required for anyone using a power saw on a job site anywhere in BC, as required by WorkSafeBC a few years back now.

Honestly it's one of their rulings that I don't think was a bad idea because there were a lot of chainsaw bites at work, mostly construction sites, that I'm personally aware of.

I'm not sure what the faller course looks like now, but that's more or less a weekend safe bucking course.

Our son in law's brother was a BC Wildfire Fighter for a few years and they had their own falling course that they taught, but they're maybe a wee bit different than a production faller? Maybe not though come to think of it.

I do recall him saying they had to be certified in order to run the power saws.

He's an arborist down at the coast now, so gets to strap on the spurs and take those huge Doug Firs apart in folks' back yards, which is crazy in itself to watch.

There's a YouTube channel of some arborist company in the Seattle area and I can't begin to imagine the pressure of trying not to drop all the branches and parts onto the Italian marble swimming pool deck, you know? eek

All the best to you all this week.

Dwayne
Posted By: 673 Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/24/22
Good morning Dwayne
Last time I checked the falling ticket cost $11,000 and IIRC 1 year to complete, may have been 2 years. Alot of it was about sawing and saws, also, it is about the slope you were certified for ie 30% slope... 50%etc...and also tree diameter.

Then there is an operators ticket, don't know much/anything about it.

There is some great fallers that work up and down the west coast USA & Canada, that guy from Axe men, I think his name is Dwayne from Washington or Oregon, he is a great faller and really typical of the 2nd generation fallers, 2nd generation being after chainsaws were being used.
Usually pretty rough and don't work well with others, have big balls and trouble doing anything else for work, that could be about the 500-700 bucks for a 6-7 hour day.
The ride to and from work was the most dangerous part of the job, hold on and just hope for the best.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/24/22
673:
Morning my friend thanks for the input from a pro, I appreciate it!

Yah, we used to see the crew trucks coming down on Fridays and especially if it was a payday Friday they'd be driving like it was a tryout for Baja or something.

Buddy who has now passed was one of the mechanics at the mill behind our house and he'd tell stories of being able to see the front discs glowing when they hit the Weyerhaeuser yard!! laugh

All the best to you this week.

Dwayne
Posted By: 673 Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/24/22
I think we lost the OP a couple days ago lol.
It always seemed like the guy driving the pickup, with us in it was a crazy skidder operator and that makes no sense at all.
The pucker factor was at max when operating a skidder and I have have gotten off them and said I ain't running this thing on this slope, why can't I have the skidder with the brakes?

Then a crazy guy will run the skidder while his feet are on the dashboard bracing himself so he doesn't fall out of the front of the skidder going down a ridiculous slope. Mud bogger type personalities makes for a good skidderman, because they are crazy.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/24/22
^^^^classic^^^^ I can tell, you been there, done that.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/24/22
Been laughing at this thread. Jippos, fall more timber in a week, that most fall in two lifetimes. It's been awhile since I've seen, cork boots, monkey pants and suspenders with sheep skin pads on the shoulders of many! There are still a few around, they work the ruff country where machines can't go to cut!
Posted By: add Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/25/22
https://theartoffellingtimber.com/workshops/
Posted By: hanco Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/25/22
I have 3 chainsaws, makes me a doctor of thinkology!!!
Posted By: slumlord Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/25/22
Chainsaws come to my place to die

I got just as many broke ones as I do running. Family drops them off here like kittens.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Chainsaw college? - 01/25/22
Chainsaws come to my place to die

I got just as many broke ones as I do running. Family drops them off here like kittens.

I’ve got more chains than anything...Running 4 saws makes a big chain graveyard.

I hate sharpening. I buy new, drop off 6-8 chains at a time that need an edge and leave.

🦫
Lazy fugg
#hiRolla
© 24hourcampfire