Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a Husky 55 and I have 3 trees that I need to drop right now but waiting another week or 3. Been cutting firewood since the 70's. Never knew about a Chainsaw School till this thread, As my dad use to say, "been to the school of hard knocks".

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PJ65;
Top of the morning to you, I hope you're all well to the south of us and the weekend was a good one for you.

A sincere tip of the hat to you as a former feller, that was never, ever easy work.

As I've mentioned often, I've never been more than that guy who cut a few dozen firewood trees a year along with some bug kill to keep yards cleaned up.

That course which I posted is now required for anyone using a power saw on a job site anywhere in BC, as required by WorkSafeBC a few years back now.

Honestly it's one of their rulings that I don't think was a bad idea because there were a lot of chainsaw bites at work, mostly construction sites, that I'm personally aware of.

I'm not sure what the faller course looks like now, but that's more or less a weekend safe bucking course.

Our son in law's brother was a BC Wildfire Fighter for a few years and they had their own falling course that they taught, but they're maybe a wee bit different than a production faller? Maybe not though come to think of it.

I do recall him saying they had to be certified in order to run the power saws.

He's an arborist down at the coast now, so gets to strap on the spurs and take those huge Doug Firs apart in folks' back yards, which is crazy in itself to watch.

There's a YouTube channel of some arborist company in the Seattle area and I can't begin to imagine the pressure of trying not to drop all the branches and parts onto the Italian marble swimming pool deck, you know? eek

All the best to you all this week.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good morning Dwayne
Last time I checked the falling ticket cost $11,000 and IIRC 1 year to complete, may have been 2 years. Alot of it was about sawing and saws, also, it is about the slope you were certified for ie 30% slope... 50%etc...and also tree diameter.

Then there is an operators ticket, don't know much/anything about it.

There is some great fallers that work up and down the west coast USA & Canada, that guy from Axe men, I think his name is Dwayne from Washington or Oregon, he is a great faller and really typical of the 2nd generation fallers, 2nd generation being after chainsaws were being used.
Usually pretty rough and don't work well with others, have big balls and trouble doing anything else for work, that could be about the 500-700 bucks for a 6-7 hour day.
The ride to and from work was the most dangerous part of the job, hold on and just hope for the best.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
673:
Morning my friend thanks for the input from a pro, I appreciate it!

Yah, we used to see the crew trucks coming down on Fridays and especially if it was a payday Friday they'd be driving like it was a tryout for Baja or something.

Buddy who has now passed was one of the mechanics at the mill behind our house and he'd tell stories of being able to see the front discs glowing when they hit the Weyerhaeuser yard!! laugh

All the best to you this week.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think we lost the OP a couple days ago lol.
It always seemed like the guy driving the pickup, with us in it was a crazy skidder operator and that makes no sense at all.
The pucker factor was at max when operating a skidder and I have have gotten off them and said I ain't running this thing on this slope, why can't I have the skidder with the brakes?

Then a crazy guy will run the skidder while his feet are on the dashboard bracing himself so he doesn't fall out of the front of the skidder going down a ridiculous slope. Mud bogger type personalities makes for a good skidderman, because they are crazy.

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
^^^^classic^^^^ I can tell, you been there, done that.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Been laughing at this thread. Jippos, fall more timber in a week, that most fall in two lifetimes. It's been awhile since I've seen, cork boots, monkey pants and suspenders with sheep skin pads on the shoulders of many! There are still a few around, they work the ruff country where machines can't go to cut!

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have 3 chainsaws, makes me a doctor of thinkology!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Chainsaws come to my place to die

I got just as many broke ones as I do running. Family drops them off here like kittens.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Chainsaws come to my place to die

I got just as many broke ones as I do running. Family drops them off here like kittens.

I’ve got more chains than anything...Running 4 saws makes a big chain graveyard.

I hate sharpening. I buy new, drop off 6-8 chains at a time that need an edge and leave.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lazy fugg

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
#hiRolla

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

381 members (204guy, 222Sako, 22250rem, 163bc, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 37 invisible), 1,421 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,850
Posts18,517,575
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.