Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I went to chainsaw college.
Dad was the head instructor.
At about 10, he handed me the Pro-Mac 800 and told me to go
cut thhe vines off all the standing trees we were going to cut.
Lotta saw for a little bony me.

Later, I was bucking logs and hit a rock. Brand new chain.
Learned all about knowing where the bar tip is.
Memorable lesson on that one.!😉

Never got a diploma.
Guess that's how it works for cumpolsery education.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Salty303
Unfortunately where I grew up if you were proficient with a chain saw it meant you are too stupid or lazy for a college degree. Yeah, I’m pretty handy with a chainsaw 😞

As to the out west holier than now tards telling you how cut hickory or whatever rest assured they are guaranteed wannabees and wouldn’t know how to file and cut anything harder than cardboard probably. But man they got real big trees all around them in their new place out west. 👩‍🌾

Ive been to Komiefornia and the ONLY reason I would ever go back was if they would let me cut a few of those trees! Id have to have bar built but Id love to put general Sherman on the ground!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Husky, Echo, Homelite or Craftsman?

Your diploma matters.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Your diploma matters.

HUSQVARNA OF COURSE! I notice you didn't even list stihl! The ONLY stihl I have any interest in is the new 500i. Pound for pound, that saw is a beast! Of course if I was gonna cut Sherman Id opt for a 2100 husky or bigger. I THINK I could do it with a 395xp but what the hell, youll only get to cut him once so I would spend the bucks and get the biggest Husky made to do the job.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Huntaholic

Your diploma matters.

HUSQVARNA OF COURSE! I notice you didn't even list stihl! The ONLY stihl I have any interest in is the new 500i. Pound for pound, that saw is a beast! Of course if I was gonna cut Sherman Id opt for a 2100 husky or bigger. I THINK I could do it with a 395xp but what the hell, youll only get to cut him once so I would spend the bucks and get the biggest Husky made to do the job.

I didn't mention Stihl because they work for a living... and don't needs no stinking degree for soy/roy boys to feel 5x5 about.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Any Chainsaw colleges in the states you know of?

SandBilly;
Good evening to you folks down in Texas, I trust the week was a decent one for you and all who matter to you are well.

When the subject came up in another thread, I must confess that I - a lifetime westerner - had to fire up the Groogle to see what it might entail and therein I found this, thusly;

https://cotr.bc.ca/continuing-education/courses/chainsaw-operator-course/

Now that particular course happens to be in the Kootenays, which is known for pot growing mostly these days although there are still ranches and logging too I'm led to believe.

As a kid in Saskatchewan we cut more hardwoods - White Birch if we could find it, Scrub or Bur Oak and lastly White Poplar.

The Scrub Oak was pretty hard on the chain and even harder to split as I recall.

Where we're at here there's some Black Birch and Poplar for hardwoods, but mostly we'll cut Doug Fir for firewood.

When I was in the cabinet industry we worked with different hardwoods and I can't imagine cutting Hickory or Red Oak for firewood would be any fun at all.

Anyways as always I'm likely three steps behind and have had an easy pitch go clear over my head, but again at 5'6" that's not uncommon.

All the best to you all this weekend regardless of the Chainsaw College you attended or did not as the case might or might not be.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
we just grew up in the chain saw school of hard knocks we needed wood for the old wood stove in the house.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BC30cal

When I was in the cabinet industry we worked with different hardwoods and I can't imagine cutting Hickory or Red Oak for firewood would be any fun at all.

...Cuts like butter, especially when it's green. Red and white oak are heavy as hell green. They are full of water and take twice as long to dry as other hardwoods common in the East.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by slumlord
ok, just WTF is a chainsaw college?

They have it “out west”

If you cut a lot of hickory and oak, cherry, etc the “out west” have to put their 2cents in how “youns dont know nuffins”

So obviously there is a Chainsaw College that gives this heir of superiority.

Slum, Don't get pissed, please, I'm not trying to stir schidt. Go to Youtube, search Bjarne Butler, type in "springboard in big cedar" (I'm too f...ing old an stupid to post a link) Just watch that one video. This is not a dick measuring contest, in my opinion, Bjarne Butler may very well be the best I've ever seen, and if you watch this and look at the ground he works on, the size of timber, and come away unimpressed...words fail me.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Originally Posted by slumlord
ok, just WTF is a chainsaw college?

They have it “out west”

If you cut a lot of hickory and oak, cherry, etc the “out west” have to put their 2cents in how “youns dont know nuffins”

So obviously there is a Chainsaw College that gives this heir of superiority.

Slum, Don't get pissed, please, I'm not trying to stir schidt. Go to Youtube, search Bjarne Butler, type in "springboard in big cedar" (I'm too f...ing old an stupid to post a link) Just watch that one video. This is not a dick measuring contest, in my opinion, Bjarne Butler may very well be the best I've ever seen, and if you watch this and look at the ground he works on, the size of timber, and come away unimpressed...words fail me.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Any Chainsaw colleges in the states you know of?

SandBilly;
Good evening to you folks down in Texas, I trust the week was a decent one for you and all who matter to you are well.

When the subject came up in another thread, I must confess that I - a lifetime westerner - had to fire up the Groogle to see what it might entail and therein I found this, thusly;

https://cotr.bc.ca/continuing-education/courses/chainsaw-operator-course/

Now that particular course happens to be in the Kootenays, which is known for pot growing mostly these days although there are still ranches and logging too I'm led to believe.

As a kid in Saskatchewan we cut more hardwoods - White Birch if we could find it, Scrub or Bur Oak and lastly White Poplar.

The Scrub Oak was pretty hard on the chain and even harder to split as I recall.

Where we're at here there's some Black Birch and Poplar for hardwoods, but mostly we'll cut Doug Fir for firewood.

Anyways as always I'm likely three steps behind and have had an easy pitch go clear over my head, but again at 5'6" that's not uncommon.

All the best to you all this weekend regardless of the Chainsaw College you attended or did not as the case might or might not be.

Dwayne

Thanks for the response Dwayne, I posted this on a dare.

Sometimes I’m like Igor, a little henchman. But I do know my way around a saw ok.

Hope you’re all good as well.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Your diploma matters.

I didn't mention Stihl because they work for a living... and don't needs no stinking degree for soy/roy boys to feel 5x5 about.

ROFLMAO! Im not in the least upset, if I was supposed to be, you missed the mark. All that "work for a living" response gets is a hearty ROFLMAO. Like I said, with the exception of the 500i, which I have in the stable, NOTHING stihl makes will cut with a Husqvarna pound for pound. Bring your 460/461, Ive got a 372 that will smoke it. Bring your 660/661 and Ive got a 390 that will take its lunch money. Either way you compare them, weight vs weight or cc vs cc, husky wins hands down. The new 500i is the only exception to that rule.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Your diploma matters.

ROFLMAO! Im not in the least upset, if I was supposed to be, you missed the mark. All that "work for a living" response gets is a hearty ROFLMAO. Like I said, with the exception of the 500i, which I have in the stable, NOTHING stihl makes will cut with a Husqvarna pound for pound. Bring your 460/461, Ive got a 372 that will smoke it. Bring your 660/661 and Ive got a 390 that will take its lunch money. Either way you compare them, weight vs weight or cc vs cc, husky wins hands down. The new 500i is the only exception to that rule.

This could start a real pissin contest :):)

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nah, Ive used them all and I know what works for me. You do you as they say.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cuznguido

Your diploma matters.

This could start a real pissin contest :):)

Phht. All that schit too small for out west

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do you guys have problems with sawdust in your boots when your skinny jeans tucked in your boots? Brutal

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
There are plenty of dead guys that didn't go to chain saw school, its not a very forgiving place to be.....

Most people should pay some one to drop trees for them, and please never lend a man your chain saw, he will hurt himself or the saw, and maybe both !

Last edited by jimy; 01/21/22.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
When I started working in the bush, nobody showed you much. You really did survive by luck, alot of guys got killed, sometimes their fault, sometimes by a fluke walking out for lunch and a tree lands on you out of nowhere. There is some pretty scary stuff that can happen when operating a saw, every time I got hurt it could of been avoided by me lol.
Having had trees land about 4 ft from me was a good learning tool.

Listening to the springboard video above brings back memories.
The power saw running in the background....that's your falling partner working a safe distance away. You always listen for that saw running, when it gets quiet you wonder if he is ok, sometimes you gotta go see. The sound of a saw working in the distance is cool in the mountains, you hear it echoing.

Up here you usually drive for 2 hours from pretty much nowhere, so if anyone gets hurt its gonna be a chopper out.
The winter requires one to use snowshoes to get around in the deep snow, then you learn to run in snowshoes

The $$$$ was great, best job ever.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Salty;
How are you doing my cyber Canuck friend to the west?

I hope you're all getting the milder temps we are too and the snow's melting a wee bit?

It appears I can't get a photo to post, but here's a link to what I've been wearing the last couple years when doing any saw work. Made in Vancouver even! cool

https://www.bigkclothing.ca/bk80141fri-nv

I'll tell you what though Salty, when a fellow wears them in anything much above temps that we're getting now, as in just about freezing, one risks getting a case of boiled bits with them....

They're not as cool as the skinny jeans I'm guessing - even though I'm skinny I just run either Wranglers or Rustler jeans Salty, sorry about that mobile fashion fox paw on my part.

Anyways Salty I mostly dropped by to render salutations to you and wish you and yours a good weekend.

All the best to you all out west.

Dwayne

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
673;
Good evening to you my friend, I hope the week was a decent one for you all too.

You guys who worked in the bush are the real deal for sure. I've learned a bunch from you - thanks again - and from some of the older fellows who shared with me down here.

I've only fooled with firewood and a couple yard cleanup jobs, so it's nothing one has to make any serious time on like you do when falling.

You're spot on about getting extracted from the back country though. Funny how long it takes to get out onto the top of a mountain that you can see from home sometimes.

All the best to you all up north this weekend 673.

Dwayne

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 2five7, 68 invisible), 2,219 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,076
Posts18,521,761
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.