Home
Posted By: Terryk What dies in this economy? - 03/06/22
I think restaurants will tank.
Luxury item will be a tough sale. I see more stuff needing sold off, than being bought.
Your buying power.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/07/22
Restaurants will actually hang on better than you think. People don’t have time to cook anymore.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/07/22
Camper and boat sales.
Pick-up trucks.
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Pick-up trucks.

Can't find one anyway.
The real estate bubble pop will look like a atomic bomb compared to 2008
Posted By: Gojoe Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/07/22
Lawn care, if I'm going to spend money on growing something. It will be stuff to eat next winter.
Pick-up trucks.

It’s going to be interesting. Used pickups go from sky high prices to give away prices. People may end more upside down on their loans for the stupid high used truck prices than new trucks will.

Plus the auto manufacturers put most their eggs in the full size truck/ suv market. They may have to do some quick adapting.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Pick-up trucks.

Can't find one anyway.

Wait a year and might find plenty abandoned in the suburbs…..
Posted By: gunzo Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/07/22
Damn! If a restaurant didn't die during the covid shut down they had a hell of a lot of cash on hand to pay the rent.

Nobody working, earning, yet camper, boat, ATV sales off the charts. Crap, folks still able to buy vehicles astounds me, not to mention them being 50% higher than they were.

Not sure this inflated economy can kill anything that the virus didn't.

Will take a 20% interest rate .
You won’t be able to give away an SUV.
Originally Posted by Terryk
Luxury item will be a tough sale. I see more stuff needing sold off, than being bought.

You arent too far from me. Not sure about the luxury stuff. Americans love their toys. We are still selling rvs like crazy. Blows my mind and with massive price increases as well
Democratic politicians
THE DNC WILL SOON BECOME HISTORY
They’re going to get us in this war and then who knows what happens.
Originally Posted by Stammster
Democratic politicians

I pray you are correct.
Residential construction
Originally Posted by earlybrd

This isn’t 2008. If the housing market crashes beyond isolated urban pockets that sane people are fleeing, then the broader economy is fugked.
There is no inventory of homes for sale or rentals in our area and city slickers are flooding in.

Luxury items will be first. Then the automobile market, then anything that’s not necessary to live. Most peoples budgets are barely going to allow housing, food and fuel by Summer and Fall will be worse.
If you’re not prepared or preparing you should be.
Everything will die except for local/state government and utility companies. Go long on funeral home industry investments.....
Posted By: powdr Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/07/22
If HEB doesn't get in some biscuits and ham. powdr
Whores, haircuts and hospitality never die, just multiply.
Originally Posted by jackmountain

This isn’t 2008. If the housing market crashes beyond isolated urban pockets that sane people are fleeing, then the broader economy is fugked.
There is no inventory of homes for sale or rentals in our area and city slickers are flooding in.

Luxury items will be first. Then the automobile market, then anything that’s not necessary to live. Most peoples budgets are barely going to allow housing, food and fuel by Summer and Fall will be worse.

For sure lots of people from high rent areas and COVID lockdowns moved out the rental industry is booming locally can’t build apartment buildings fast enough but the folks buying the $500k houses worth $200k is where it will pop
There will always always always be people with enough money or credit, stupid enough, to squander it on eating out. Always has been, always will be.

My restaurant group is EXPANDING right now. As many fold.
Government employees will weather the storm o.k.
Things are a bit different now, but judging historically?

If you have money, get ready to buy real estate in Florida and Arizona.
Beech properties, "Mountain Cabins"...

Not sure how "escape plans" will figure in, but folks always buy these
properties when they are NXXXXR Rich, and dump/lose them in a
bad economy. Big Money to be made during the next boom.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/07/22
The dollar
Posted By: strikeu Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/07/22
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

we bought a Condo on the beach right at the start of Covid. it has more than doubled in Value.
I think restaurants are going to have a rough time. Food inflation is going to be astronomical by this time next year. A happy meal costing $25 is going to cool the appetite of working families. Interest rates are going to crush the housing market. As rates go up house prices go down. Nobody will be able to sell their home because they’re way upside down. On the plus side many families will see their relative housing costs drop. Inflation will eat into the costs of fixed rate existing mortgages.
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/07/22
Seems to be a good time to have your home paid for. Any time is good for that though.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
The dollar

Yep. And the Economy.

Everything Hiden Biden turns to schitt. 😡
What dies?

.30-30, 7x57, .257 Bob, .250-3000, .45-70 and .22 GTC

It’s a start, YMMV.

For sure lots of people from high rent areas and COVID lockdowns moved out the rental industry is booming locally can’t build apartment buildings fast enough but the folks buying the $500k houses worth $200k is where it will pop

The problem is, those $500k houses aren’t worth $200k anymore. Inflation isn’t transitory. If I had to guess, that $500k is going to look like a bargain by this time next year. Burger flippers making $15/hr can now afford $1000/mo rent instead of the $450 they could afford last year when they were making $8.50/hr. Welcome to the new normal. Low interest debt is the smartest play right now.
I can't imagine the truck and SUV market holding up at these fuel prices. And the housing and banking industry has to get beat down thanks to inflation. Property taxes have to be paid on the inflated home prices and same dollar that home loans were based on the last four years is worth half as much now. All this BS is past my pay grade, but I'm glad I don't owe anyone anything besides taxes.
I refinanced in June of 20 on a 15 year at 2.1 for a house I bought in 18. I feel pretty good about that now.

Second homes will take a big hit, good call Dillon.
Lots of folks that couldn’t afford them bought them assuming that VRBO would pay the mortgage. Vacation spending will definitely take a hit.

People who have money will still have money, so some luxury items will still sell. It's the average person being able to buy and over priced vehicle and house and food and gas that's going to be an issue.
I refinanced in June of 20 on a 15 year at 2.1 for a house I bought in 18. I feel pretty good about that now.

You should. That’s literally better than having it paid off.
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
There will always always always be people with enough money or credit, stupid enough, to squander it on eating out. Always has been, always will be.

My restaurant group is EXPANDING right now. As many fold.

I sure hope your right, being shut down for 11 weeks hurt. But thanks to Governor DeSantis every quarter since we reopened has been better than ever.
Posted By: joken2 Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/07/22

Might could be the final deathblow to big vehicles with fuel guzzling engines. Probably be more repoed than trade-in used vehicles on dealer lots for a good while. Trade-ins on new / newer vehicles will probably be pretty slow due to upside-down loans financed for too long. Same with real-estate / home sales, too. Fully expect personal bankruptcies will probably be climbing, too.

Restaurants and grocery stores are having problems getting normal and necessary stock in, which is especially tough on restaurants and could really hurt their bottom line enough if it continues very much longer to force some to close their doors.
Posted By: Calvin Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/07/22
Me.

I will burn about 9k gallons this season. Big chunk of change compared to what we have been paying.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/07/22
I don’t deal with the public in my biz; I only work with other businesses. One of my customers does resell straight to the public. Another big one only sells to other businesses... point being... in the B-T-B world we are scrambling to raise prices as quickly as we can without killing demand. My material costs are skyrocketing; I simply have to raise the price on parts or I’m working too cheap. Then there’s just inflation in general. I gotta make more money, just to stay even.

These things take time. When Trump imposed tariffs on metals, my costs went up instantly. It took a year or so to gradually raise prices to compensate. Again... you can’t kill the golden goose- which is demand from the final consumers- which can happen if you raise prices too fast.

It sucks. It’s gonna get much worse, I’m afraid. We were already going to suffer some inflation from the actions of both Trump and Biden shoveling out pandemic money. Ukraine will make it that much worse. At some point, are people still gonna buy “stuff” they don’t actually need? One of my big customers provides parts and service for machines that are essentially hobbyist machines. I make a bunch of the parts, others are imported from Europe. I’m in direct competition with European machinists on these parts- ironically, mainly some dude in Poland. If he doesn’t raise his prices soon, I’m not sure what I’ll do. I expect he will. I don’t like making under $50/hr and some stuff I make is getting dang close due to metals skyrocketing. I just paid $238 for a length of bearing bronze that was $168 when I bought it last time a few months ago. I get 25 parts from the piece of material. Do the math... just from that, either me or my customer (both actually; we are splitting it for now) is making over $2 less per part. That’s about 4% of the retail price of the part- just from materials going up. I’ve been paying $168 for that bronze for years...

“May you live in interesting times”- old Chinese curse. They nailed it.
Pick-up trucks.

With $4 to $5 a gallon gas prices you'll se a lot of big gas and diesel guzzling 4x4's on the used car lot I'm guessing.
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I don’t deal with the public in my biz; I only work with other businesses. One of my customers does resell straight to the public. Another big one only sells to other businesses... point being... in the B-T-B world we are scrambling to raise prices as quickly as we can without killing demand. My material costs are skyrocketing; I simply have to raise the price on parts or I’m working too cheap. Then there’s just inflation in general. I gotta make more money, just to stay even.

These things take time. When Trump imposed tariffs on metals, my costs went up instantly. It took a year or so to gradually raise prices to compensate. Again... you can’t kill the golden goose- which is demand from the final consumers- which can happen if you raise prices too fast.

It sucks. It’s gonna get much worse, I’m afraid. We were already going to suffer some inflation from the actions of both Trump and Biden shoveling out pandemic money. Ukraine will make it that much worse. At some point, are people still gonna buy “stuff” they don’t actually need? One of my big customers provides parts and service for machines that are essentially hobbyist machines. I make a bunch of the parts, others are imported from Europe. I’m in direct competition with European machinists on these parts- ironically, mainly some dude in Poland. If he doesn’t raise his prices soon, I’m not sure what I’ll do. I expect he will. I don’t like making under $50/hr and some stuff I make is getting dang close due to metals skyrocketing. I just paid $238 for a length of bearing bronze that was $168 when I bought it last time a few months ago. I get 25 parts from the piece of material. Do the math... just from that, either me or my customer (both actually; we are splitting it for now) is making over $2 less per part. That’s about 4% of the retail price of the part- just from materials going up. I’ve been paying $168 for that bronze for years...

GFY!
Not Toyota’s. Just helped my kid buy a 2013 4x4 Taco. Insane prices.
Posted By: 10at6 Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/07/22

Check

Check out metal and fuel prices since Biden took office. You are truly a dumb [bleep]
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

GFY!

Nah, I have people for that. Lol
Originally Posted by Calvin
Me.

I will burn about 9k gallons this season. Big chunk of change compared to what we have been paying.

Even at a $2/gal increase that’s only $18k.

Buddy owns an excavation company. He’s burning an average of 7 gallons an hour on 30 pieces of equipment at 1500 hours a year, so 315,000 gallons a year. Figure at least $1.50/gal more since Let’s go Brandon took office.
$467,500 is a tough hit to profit margins.
Me.

Even at a $2/gal increase that’s only $18k.

Buddy owns an excavation company. He’s burning an average of 7 gallons an hour on 30 pieces of equipment at 1500 hours a year, so 315,000 gallons a year. Figure at least $1.50/gal more since Let’s go Brandon took office.
$467,500 is a tough hit to profit margins.

I can’t remember what the price was last year. $3.50? Two years ago you felt like you were winning whenever you paid the fuel bill. That was stupid. 18k is still a few nice vacations for the wife and kids.
Originally Posted by 10at6

Check

Check out metal and fuel prices since Biden took office. You are truly a dumb [bleep]

Can you not read? Are you just... stoopid?

I am intimately acquainted with both metal and fuel prices, TYVM. How about YOU check out what happened when Trump applied his tariffs. Get back to me on that one. Hint: prices went way up. And yep, metal has gone up under Biden. It was gonna anyway- anyone with a brain knew inflation was coming and was regardless of who won in 2020. As it turned out Biden won in the proverbial landslide and, here we are.

I’m not blaming Trump (other than the tariffs, which were retarded). We devalued our currency with all the pandemic money. It was that or crater the economy. That adult decision was made by both R’s and D’s. Now we are paying the piper. The Ukraine [bleep] is going to make it much worse. Is what it is. How about you act like an adult about it? Lol... like you even could do that.
Posted By: EdM Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/07/22

The problem is, those $500k houses aren’t worth $200k anymore. Inflation isn’t transitory. If I had to guess, that $500k is going to look like a bargain by this time next year. Burger flippers making $15/hr can now afford $1000/mo rent instead of the $450 they could afford last year when they were making $8.50/hr. Welcome to the new normal. Low interest debt is the smartest play right now.

Bingo.
A tenant's hope to ever own a home.

As everything is at least 25% more expensive now, we will be raising all rents accordingly. Also will be raising rates and fuel surcharges for all customers as well.

The people that lose the most, voted for it to begin with.

Ironic.
No worries as another round of stimulus checks are coming by mid summer.
Posted By: Terryk Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/07/22
When President Trump left, national average for gas was 2.39. Gas here is 4.19, that is a 75% increase. So it was not 3.50............
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Pick-up trucks.

With $4 to $5 a gallon gas prices you'll se a lot of big gas and diesel guzzling 4x4's on the used car lot I'm guessing.

I hope so. I need a few right now. I’d take a 450/4500 crew cab diesel dually 4wd with a steel flatbed with under 100k miles right now.
"What dies in this economy?"

Hopefully Biden voters, slowly and painfully.

GFY!

Homosexuals, no doubt.
Kingston has a pic of JeffOs lover.
Posted By: BobMt Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/07/22
Originally Posted by EdM

Bingo.

if you dont lose your job in a recession.....low interest...still have to service the debt...bob
In the world economy Europe is headed for full recession soon.
It should be democrats in this economy, they are responsible for it.
Posted By: irfubar Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/07/22
People that aren't prepared....
Originally Posted by irfubar

Yes brother.

I just told my wife that we need a S&W 586.
Me.

Interesting.... considering several years ago you were bragging about your stock investments and wealth building.... you called me out as a financial dumbazz, with no stocks and no sense.
Yet my wealth has doubled and continues to climb, all the while I play everyday... wink
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Yes brother.

I just told my wife that we need a S&W 586.

Sam, you are a man of great wisdom my friend..... smile
Learning as we go brother.

Crazy times abound...lol
Posted By: TF49 Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/07/22
Opinion…. I concur with comments made on this thread. Seems like the world will muddle through with some distressing level of political and economic result. We’ll see….

Having said that, what if “this economy” …. The one that this thread describes….gets worse in some significant way. What if there is a successful cyber attack? What is the future of the USD? What if our government continues to pursue error.

Seems we have been in a “Cold War” with China for quite some time. The US is taking on China and Russia at the same time. We are also out matched in the leadership category.

Anyway…. One pays his money and makes his choices….. I like hard assets and productive land. I also like affiliations with other like minded folks… a tribe if you will.

Originally Posted by TF49

Having said that, what if “this economy” …. The one that this thread describes….gets worse in some significant way. What if there is a successful cyber attack?

I like hard assets and productive land. I also like affiliations with other like minded folks… a tribe if you will.

If there is a bank meltdown there goes the number on the screen...

Same with investments.

IF it gets that bad.

Hard assets will be worth $, land is the hardest thing to steal...

Me.

Interesting.... considering several years ago you were bragging about your stock investments and wealth building.... you called me out as a financial dumbazz, with no stocks and no sense.
Yet my wealth has doubled and continues to climb, all the while I play everyday... wink

Mine has tripled. And the fuel increase will be 2-3% of the gross of one of my businesses.

And yes, you were dead wrong about the stock market for years.
Me.

Mine has tripled. And the fuel increase will be 2-3% of the gross of one of my businesses.

And yes, you were dead wrong about the stock market for years.

Then why did you say fuel prices will be the end of you? maybe you are makin schit up... again
Originally Posted by Houston_2
In the world economy Europe is headed for full recession soon.

I consider that a "softening" of what is headed their way.

...and our way.

The piper has to be paid...

That fact cannot be denied.

So be it.
Well, here in the real world people actually make jokes about things. Especially when you are taking it in the shorts and there is nothing you can do about it.

Wanna see a picture of the boat I just bought? It’s pretty nice. Good thing I didn’t listen to the chicken littles when the stock market was at 14-18k. 😂😂
Posted By: add Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/07/22

Restaurants have been tank'n for 2+ yrs.
Well, here in the real world people actually make jokes about things. Especially when you are taking it in the shorts and there is nothing you can do about it.

Wanna see a picture of the boat I just bought? It’s pretty nice. Good thing I didn’t listen to the chicken littles when the stock market was at 14-18k. 😂😂

I would love to see a picture of your new boat.
Posted By: add Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/07/22

I would love to see a picture of your new boat.

The wife was selling pyramid schemes (multi-level marketing) to the natives on Federal Assistance.

Our tax dollars at work.

Saad!
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
What dies?

.30-30, 7x57, .257 Bob, .250-3000, .45-70 and .22 GTC

It’s a start, YMMV.

never the 7x57, I'll do my best to keep shooting mine
Posted By: EdM Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/07/22
Major O&G best I can tell... Still looking for my last, prior-retiriement, elder compensation.

Check

I am intimately acquainted with both metal and fuel prices, TYVM. How about YOU check out what happened when Trump applied his tariffs. Get back to me on that one. Hint: prices went way up. And yep, metal has gone up under Biden. It was gonna anyway- anyone with a brain knew inflation was coming and was regardless of who won in 2020. As it turned out Biden won in the proverbial landslide and, here we are.

I’m not blaming Trump (other than the tariffs, which were retarded). We devalued our currency with all the pandemic money. It was that or crater the economy. That adult decision was made by both R’s and D’s. Now we are paying the piper. The Ukraine [bleep] is going to make it much worse. Is what it is. How about you act like an adult about it? Lol... like you even could do that.

Wow you really are the biggest f u c ktard in this forum
Quality of life for the middle class... The rich keep gett'in richer... The poor keep gett'in more govment $$ handouts... But the middle class been gett'in the short end of the stick since the advent of Voo-Doo economics in the early 1980's

Not in Florida it won't. Be glad you got Youngkin. Maybe he'll end up being a little like DeSantis.
Originally Posted by gunchamp

Check

Wow you really are the biggest f u c ktard in this forum

No doubt. Proves it every time he sticks his neck up out of that hole.
Posted By: Raeford Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/07/22
The fool with 84 monthly payments of $800+ on his/her 1500/Suburban/Expedition etc.....
The middle class absolutely has to be destroyed for what the left wants to implement, which is ultimately communism. When that's done they will step in and "level" the playing field as they have always wanted to do. I absolutely despise what's going on and in many ways feel helpless to do much to stop it. I've been taught all my life we're not supposed to harbor hate for fellow man but it's a real struggle for me to not do that.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/07/22
I don't know what is going to die economically-speaking, but if I was a farmer I'd chance the high fertilizer & fuel prices and go all-in on planting.
Me thinks having a garden, some critters to eat and a shop to stay busy in.....all beyond walking distance from the urban hell, is about as close to happy as one will be able to stay

Those trapped in the democrat nests are gonna really have a hard time.
Posted By: Riverc Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/07/22
Originally Posted by Jim1611
The middle class absolutely has to be destroyed for what the left wants to implement, which is ultimately communism. When that's done they will step in and "level" the playing field as they have always wanted to do. I absolutely despise what's going on and in many ways feel helpless to do much to stop it. I've been taught all my life we're not supposed to harbor hate for fellow man but it's a real struggle for me to not do that.

I agree and feel the same as you.
I think this has the potential to be the end, and I mean the actual end, of our economy as we know it.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/07/22
Originally Posted by jaguartx
THE DNC WILL SOON BECOME HISTORY

The Unions got 36 million in stimulus fraud. You can bet 99% will end up in the DNC bank accounts. I think that was the plan from the start.

stolen stimulus payments
Inflationary price increases are like poison in a food chain - before long everyone, everything is affected. Financially the elderly & retired get it worse as pension/retirement fund systems never keep up with 'normal' increases cost of living, much less sudden, panic inflation.
Posted By: rost495 Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/07/22
Originally Posted by gregintenn
You won’t be able to give away an SUV.

contrary we will take a few at least.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/07/22
Originally Posted by Offshoreman
Inflationary price increases are like poison in a food chain - before long everyone, everything is affected. Financially the elderly & retired get it worse as pension/retirement fund systems never keep up with 'normal' increases cost of living, much less sudden, panic inflation.

Another reason why I am not taking my social security. I'm waiting until I'm 70 just so I can beat (attempt to beat) inflation. I have Less than 2 years to go.

kwg
Posted By: Teal Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/07/22
Couple things

* In the 19 years I've been here, hardly a week goes by where the fire doesn't say "world's gonna end soon - best be preparing" it's clockwork. Stuff goes up and down but rarely does it stop moving.

Hits in the economy -

People who bought used vehicles that aren't more than 2-3 years old at insanely high prices. When the correction comes, they'll be father underwater on depreciation than those that bought new. I saw a Chev with 30k on it and they want 51, I can buy it new for 54. Why buy used? People want to save that 3k and they give it right back in interest on the used item.

While I agree - those that have large fuel consuming vehicles are going to feel a pinch - many people are now also WFH - the amount they buy has gone down. I used to do 75 miles a day commuting and starting 2 years ago this week, that's dropped to 120 a week total. I can pay more for gas but not have it affect my budget as much. That's not for everyone, I know but it is for many.

I see companies like Door Dash, Uber Eats, Grub Hub struggling. As budgets get constrained - paying 11 bucks plus tip to deliver an 8 dollar taco will be easy math for many. They'll curtail the service.

Things that will rise -

E-commerce. I can order what I want without driving to get it. Eventually the "free shipping" piper needs to be paid but until it is....

Beer/wine/spirits and RTD cocktails - in a recession people "treat" themselves with such things at home. People I know in the industry have told me this several times. "I'm not gonna buy an expensive meal out but I'll pick up a 6-er of my favorite craft for the evening"

Remodeling and home improvement will continue to grow - people were doing it because they couldn't vacation/leave during Covid. Now they'll do it because they don't want a new mortgage at 8%+
Originally Posted by Riverc

Well make that three of us.... But i'm not sure it's just the left at work here... I think both sides are working together (on behalf of the ultra rich) to destroy the middle class... Middle class destruction is how the ultra rich class was created...
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco

Well make that three of us.... But i'm not sure it's just the left at work here... I think both sides are working together (on behalf of the ultra rich) to destroy the middle class... Middle class destruction is how the ultra rich class was created...

Can someone show me where the number of middle class decreased by X and an corresponding increase in lower class or is the middle class shrink because upper class is growing?

GFY!

Kinda figured jeffobamma takes it in the rump. sorry jeffo
Originally Posted by Teal

Can someone show me where the number of middle class decreased by X and an corresponding increase in lower class or is the middle class shrink because upper class is growing?

Consumer debt and inflation?
Posted By: 280Rem1 Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/07/22
It will have to get MUCH worse for anything to slow down. We have seen a large increase in tourism here. Boats, tractors, utvs, atvs, and campers are flying off the shelves... in the light of a constructed "pandemic", unemployment, etc.
Compared to almost any other citizen in any other country, US citizens are filthy rich, even those on gov assistance and minimum wage.
Observe how many Europeans, South Americans, Africans, etc have 2019 or newer vehicles, boats, campers, jet skis,and atvs in their driveways. Many do not own a car, much less toys. Hunters across the ocean may have one or two guns... many in the US have 10-20 or more. We prep for a possible apocolyptic event, they prepare to make itthrough next week.
Restaurants will actually hang on better than you think. People don’t have time to cook anymore.

it's almost a wash as to cooking a meal to eating out cost wise, atleast around here

Well it's pretty simple actually... In simplified terms, They skim (steal) the income from the middle class, Condensing it into fewer and fewer hands creating an ultra rich class... Which desroys the quality of life for the middle class... Moving them down the ladder...

Well it's pretty simple actually... In simplified terms, They skim (steal) the income from the middle class, Condensing it into fewer and fewer hands creating an ultra rich class... Which desroys the quality of life for the middle class... Moving them down the ladder...

Oh bullschit!
Posted By: ribka Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/07/22
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Pick-up trucks.

It’s going to be interesting. Used pickups go from sky high prices to give away prices. People may end more upside down on their loans for the stupid high used truck prices than new trucks will.

Plus the auto manufacturers put most their eggs in the full size truck/ suv market. They may have to do some quick adapting.

no they're going heavy into EV's at least Ford and GM are
Me.

ouch

I get what you're saying - what I'm asking for is the quantified number. There were 100 poor, 250 middle class and 50 rich. Now there are 200 poor, 150 middle class and 50 rich to ultra rich.

Or - as some have offered, the reason why the middle class has lost quite a few in that number - it's more like 75 poor, 200 middle class and 125 rich. People aren't moving down as much as they're moving up yet defining themselves inaccurately. Lots of "poor" people with 1k iPhones and "middle class" with vacation homes, multiple vehicles and boats too.

I'm trying to find actual numbers showing a 10 year comparison between the 2.

Anecdotally - most people I've seen "move up" even within the various strata in lower, middle and upper middle class - they're always spending like they're one level above.

NO ONE - regardless of class is going to refuse someone else handing them money for goods/services and so long as people (regardless of class) strive to spend like a level above, the person destroying the middle class is the middle class. (so to speak)
Originally Posted by high_country_
Me thinks having a garden, some critters to eat and a shop to stay busy in.....all beyond walking distance from the urban hell, is about as close to happy as one will be able to stay

Those trapped in the democrat nests are gonna really have a hard time.

yep. a lot truth there
Posted By: GregW Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/07/22
Originally Posted by ribka
Me.

ouch

Yeah my estimated fuel bill this season is gonna be about $40k at $4/gallon.

You just hang on for a while longer and we'll all be seeing it with our own eyes. One of the key goals of communism is to not have a middle class. My source for that is the World Book encyclopedia. A middle class does not need welfare and welfare is what makes a more inviting climate for government control. In the Great Depression property was lost simply because the owner could not pay the taxes and these were not people that did not work and throw away what they had earned, they were good people that were struggling. There were instances of that right here where I live and my family members, gone now, witnessed it. The County took the property and it was sold on the Courthouse steps at an auction. Much of it was bought by banks then and they had their "pets" take over the farm. That's one way to get rid of the middle class and to assure support of those that hold the purse strings.
Posted By: BobMt Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/07/22
Originally Posted by 280Rem1
It will have to get MUCH worse for anything to slow down. We have seen a large increase in tourism here. Boats, tractors, utvs, atvs, and campers are flying off the shelves... in the light of a constructed "pandemic", unemployment, etc.
Compared to almost any other citizen in any other country, US citizens are filthy rich, even those on gov assistance and minimum wage.
Observe how many Europeans, South Americans, Africans, etc have 2019 or newer vehicles, boats, campers, jet skis,and atvs in their driveways. Many do not own a car, much less toys. Hunters across the ocean may have one or two guns... many in the US have 10-20 or more. We prep for a possible apocolyptic event, they prepare to make itthrough next week.

higher interest rates.....high fuel costs....high input costs in construction ....cost of houses etc is what makes a recession. recession means jobs lost which means people cant make their payments.

I dont care how low of interest you have on a house...you dont have a job you cant make the payments...no payments no house ...toys etc.....the only reason there has been this big of a boom ...is to low of rates...it works against good steady growth.....its not like this hasnt been a cycle forever...people just forget about it when times are good....bob
Originally Posted by GregW
Me.

ouch

. Hope your business weathers through

I get what you're saying - what I'm asking for is the quantified number. There were 100 poor, 250 middle class and 50 rich. Now there are 200 poor, 150 middle class and 50 rich to ultra rich.

Or - as some have offered, the reason why the middle class has lost quite a few in that number - it's more like 75 poor, 200 middle class and 125 rich. People aren't moving down as much as they're moving up yet defining themselves inaccurately. Lots of "poor" people with 1k iPhones and "middle class" with vacation homes, multiple vehicles and boats too.

I'm trying to find actual numbers showing a 10 year comparison between the 2.

Anecdotally - most people I've seen "move up" even within the various strata in lower, middle and upper middle class - they're always spending like they're one level above.

NO ONE - regardless of class is going to refuse someone else handing them money for goods/services and so long as people (regardless of class) strive to spend like a level above, the person destroying the middle class is the middle class. (so to speak)

I don't have #'s... But again in simple terms... I don't think the middle class fell off the wall by themselves... I think they were pushed!... And it's more than just income... Theres been a huge hit to the quality of goods and services as well...
Jim 1611 nails it...this assault on the middle class is not just the current economic climate, it is a symptom of something that has been going on since WW ll. Victor Davis Hanson's latest book is "The Dying Citizen"....Jim could have wrote the prologue.
Traditionally high inflation kills the working class.
The wealthy have assets that inflate in value.
This is why Brandon slipped and called Peter Doocie a dumb bastard ," inflation is an asset." he said
Also inflation consumes debt, pay off fixed rate loans with inflated dollars, again the wealthy win
Me.

ouch

Biden voter surcharge. We are 4.29 gal right now. $5 wouldn't surprise me one bit.
Your standard of living. We are all moving down a step or two from just a couple years ago. Know what changed? FJB

Thanks for creating these interesting times with your votes for those destroying our country moron. Amazing low IQ idiots like you think your Gov Kate Brown and Biden are doing a great job.

Posted By: Ken_L Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/07/22
I think a lot of these craft breweries are going to go under with the price of grain going through the roof. They already want more for a beer than some of their appetizers.
This is why Brandon slipped and called Peter Doocie a dumb bastard ," inflation is an asset." he said
Also inflation consumes debt, pay off fixed rate loans with inflated dollars, again the wealthy win

yep. There's a big wake up call for middle and lower class Americans. Pople under 40 have never experienced a bad recession or stag elation yet. This should be interesting

Posted this twice. But why did Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan just invest huge amounts in the Russian economy last week during supposed sanctions against Russia? If one were paranoid one would think this was done on purpose ( like in 2008 mortgage fraud created by these same big banks) to drive down assets to pick up at bargain prices. Im trying to pick up a few Russian stocks in energy and oil, metals now but am prohibited as an investor due to sanctions and all trading shut down but big corrupt banks can do this. Almost as if this "war" was planned or incited on purpose
Originally Posted by add

And the more that tank out, the greater the captive audience for those that survive. We just a signed a lease for a 250 plus seater in the White Mtns. Ground up build up. Place will be a giant cash register. Just like the other 5. Re-opened the joints as soon as quarantine ended. Was real rough for a while when you couldn’t get anyone to work. Business reallly started blowing up again last summer. Big outdoor seating. Lack of competition. That trend is going to continue exponentially. Yeah, costs are up largely. But you adapt. People are paying for it. They won’t stop going out to eat and drink. Not till it’s end times. And even then…

I’ll be running kitchens till the nukes hit. And I promise you asses will be in the seats when they do. It’s just human nature.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/07/22
This economy sucks, gas prices are forcing me to buy a larger boat! That way I can get more people on board, to help split the fuel bill! 🤔
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
Originally Posted by add

And the more that tank out, the greater the captive audience for those that survive. We just a signed a lease for a 250 plus seater in the White Mtns. Ground up build up. Place will be a giant cash register. Just like the other 5. Re-opened the joints as soon as quarantine ended. Was real rough for a while when you couldn’t get anyone to work. Business reallly started blowing up again last summer. Big outdoor seating. Lack of competition. That trend is going to continue exponentially. Yeah, costs are up largely. But you adapt. People are paying for it. They won’t stop going out to eat and drink. Not till it’s end times. And even then…

I’ll be running kitchens till the nukes hit. And I promise you asses will be in the seats when they do. It’s just human nature.
. good luck good to see some American businesses thriving
Originally Posted by Ken_L
I think a lot of these craft breweries are going to go under with the price of grain going through the roof. They already want more for a beer than some of their appetizers.

They'll likely pull back from package beer as that's getting very expensive. They may also go back to self-distribution if legal. Captures more of the revenue stream. Expect expansion of brewery tap rooms and tap room only availability. Capture the entire 6 dollar pint of revenue instead of selling it into the distributor channels...
Posted By: Diesel Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/07/22

Dillon, are cabins still available over your way? Everything that hits the market around here is gone in a heartbeat at crazy money.
Posted By: GregW Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/08/22
Me.

ouch

Biden voter surcharge. We are 4.29 gal right now. $5 wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Hang in there man. I'm gonna come see you one day ...
Posted By: irfubar Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/08/22
Me.

ouch

Hang in there man. I'm gonna come see you one day ...

I would like to go fishing with Calvin some day... but I am afraid the anchor rope would get wrapped around my ankle and I would go to Davey Jones locker..... frown

yep. There's a big wake up call for middle and lower class Americans. Pople under 40 have never experienced a bad recession or stag elation yet. This should be interesting

Posted this twice. But why did Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan just invest huge amounts in the Russian economy last week during supposed sanctions against Russia? If one were paranoid one would think this was done on purpose ( like in 2008 mortgage fraud created by these same big banks) to drive down assets to pick up at bargain prices. Im trying to pick up a few Russian stocks in energy and oil, metals now but am prohibited as an investor due to sanctions and all trading shut down but big corrupt banks can do this. Almost as if this "war" was planned or incited on purpose

I believe both of these posts are spot on accurate...
Posted By: rj308 Re: What dies in this economy? - 03/08/22
Gas prices are not going to come back down soon. Why should suppliers increase production to ease demand when with higher prices the suppliers can make the same profit on less product. Also when the population cuts back on consumption, the the green, non-fossil fuel advocates (current administration) just love it. RJ
© 24hourcampfire